Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 3 Sep 2019, 13:28 (Ref:3925590)   #1301
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
I was wondering that myself, and I can't believe it is they are showing their true hand after reports Core was one of the BoP radio "offenders." I would assume that's not something that would stay on one side of the garage, BUT they are obviously doing something IMSA can understand and not slow them. That then makes me feel like everyone else might be holding back more and more each event and IMSA has caught on, but that assumes first that drivers can resist pushing and second teams are better off not winning again and again until they are so far back as to not win the championship.

The race itself seemed entertaining in the parts I caught, was in and out with saw and sander running so missed more than a few things. I do wonder what the difference is with GT drivers and not having prototypes around that brings out seemingly calmer racing. I don't know if it's prototype guys wanting the corners and elbows out driving or GT guys having to push more to make up time lost, but GTD still has to contend with faster GTs and amateur vs factory pro drivers and they still make it work. It would be interesting to see lap charts and overlays with only GTs and then the whole field running to see what changes.
Certainly less of a chance at collisions. GT drivers don't do mirror driving as much. But yeah I wonder still how Katherine Legge could have had the crash she had. It was late in the race and her stint too. So that was unexpected. Biggest crash at V.I.R in a race since the ALMS.
Old 6 Sep 2019, 01:05 (Ref:3926104)   #1302
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well down one team in Michelin Cup, eEuroparts apparently was struggling and got bought out recently and the team has closed shop. That's 4 Audi's gone, GT4 and 3 TCRs I believe.
https://sportscar365.com/imsa/impc/e...rs-operations/
Old 11 Sep 2019, 00:19 (Ref:3927260)   #1303
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Is Audi even going to bother paying the IMSA fees if there are no teams left with interest in campaigning Audis?
Old 11 Sep 2019, 03:35 (Ref:3927267)   #1304
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Didn't WRT say they were running in IMSA full time next season?
Old 11 Sep 2019, 09:08 (Ref:3927301)   #1305
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Didn't WRT say they were running in IMSA full time next season?
They said they were interested (as they were at the end of 2018), however nothing firm so far.
Old 11 Sep 2019, 09:12 (Ref:3927305)   #1306
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I wonder if they see it as sustainable, certainly the series is doing alright at the moment, wonder how long it will last
Old 13 Sep 2019, 13:32 (Ref:3927720)   #1307
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Porsche is going with a special livery for the Petit Le Mans. So the White/Red/Black crest livery is going to say goodbye this week at Laguna Seca. I feel kinda bad about this. This is certainly Porsche's best factory livery and will be missed. The one for the Porsche 911 RSR 19 is hideous. Would be smart to restore what one from 2017-2019. Lets see what they have in mind for the Petit I guess.
Old 13 Sep 2019, 13:47 (Ref:3927725)   #1308
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Porsche is going with a special livery for the Petit Le Mans. So the White/Red/Black crest livery is going to say goodbye this week at Laguna Seca. I feel kinda bad about this. This is certainly Porsche's best factory livery and will be missed. The one for the Porsche 911 RSR 19 is hideous. Would be smart to restore what one from 2017-2019. Lets see what they have in mind for the Petit I guess.
It sounded like something much older and not a Porsche corporate livery. Who have they run in the past outside of Porsche, from S365 "link-up with a major multi-national company that had previously sponsored Porsche race cars in IMSA competition, that we would see come back? Could we see a DHL livery from the Penskes' with DHL's anniversary coming up special liveries in IRL? It sounds like more than just a color shift but an actual partnership livery
Old 13 Sep 2019, 17:41 (Ref:3927763)   #1309
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
It sounded like something much older and not a Porsche corporate livery. Who have they run in the past outside of Porsche, from S365 "link-up with a major multi-national company that had previously sponsored Porsche race cars in IMSA competition, that we would see come back? Could we see a DHL livery from the Penskes' with DHL's anniversary coming up special liveries in IRL? It sounds like more than just a color shift but an actual partnership livery
Löwenbräu? Coke? Texaco?
Old 13 Sep 2019, 18:41 (Ref:3927769)   #1310
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Löwenbräu? Coke? Texaco?
I like all these options! the Lowenbrau car was my favorite in gtp competition. But is that still a beer? I haven't seen it in years.
Old 16 Sep 2019, 15:35 (Ref:3928347)   #1311
MaskedRacer
Veteran

I could see a lot of Road Atlanta additions. Only McLaren will go away after Laguna. Can see Juncos DPI, Risi Ferarri GTLM, and GTD runners from Park Place returning after crash, Starworks, Land-Monteplast, Black Swan, Grasser, and PPM Lambo. No dobut in my mind that Land and Grasser in particular will contend, but GTD for the Petit Le mans is going to be a very intense race.
Old 16 Sep 2019, 18:04 (Ref:3928374)   #1312
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
It looks like a growing field for GTD with Racer saying Land and Grasser were back for Petit and Grasser working on NAEC or full season for 2020, and Juncos wanting to return for Petit. Park Place will find a car even if they have to lease one, advantage to running a Porsche is there are collectors out there with cars who want provenance and Petit is a better sell than leasing for most tracks. Risi I think is out of IMSA for a bit and Starworks may be a tough sell since the car has been down on top speed. It sounded like Compass were working on a deal to run Petit but it has fallen through with McLaren not paying up for the full season "entry" fees.

It will be a tough day for more than a few teams leaving the paddock after, Core's DPi runs its last and doubt we'll see someone buy it to continue, Ford on their way out and please dear god make the engine sound better off throttle for the DPi, Juncos likely not back with the DPi program unless someone drops in with a lot of cash but that opens a Caddy program to another team, Jon Potter and Magnus leaving the fold possibly after Petit and everyone losing a great Twitter follow, Keating headed out to WEC but at least it's not a loss with Robinson taking over, and if Starworks can make it with the Audi will they return with another car or are they done?

Could be 5-7 cars lost without many rumors of cars being added outside of a few GTDs, but quality teams in WRT and Grasser topping the reporting. I wonder if United Autosport or another LMP2 team(Dragonspeed or G-Drive) could afford a Caddy program and run IMSA for the enduros or full season. I'm not counting on RWR to appear or run well if they do, there's no money in start and park like Nascar guys, and Spirit of Daytona would be a nice add but when I see them on the grid I'll trust the money is there. But that same thing is true for WRT, Grasser, Land, etc who are all "looking" for money to run, I'll express my interest to run right now but I need a couple million dollars and a few seasons to get licensed, but I'm interested and gathering (teeny tiny amounts of) money for a program.
Old 16 Sep 2019, 19:07 (Ref:3928388)   #1313
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
It looks like a growing field for GTD with Racer saying Land and Grasser were back for Petit and Grasser working on NAEC or full season for 2020, and Juncos wanting to return for Petit. Park Place will find a car even if they have to lease one, advantage to running a Porsche is there are collectors out there with cars who want provenance and Petit is a better sell than leasing for most tracks. Risi I think is out of IMSA for a bit and Starworks may be a tough sell since the car has been down on top speed. It sounded like Compass were working on a deal to run Petit but it has fallen through with McLaren not paying up for the full season "entry" fees.

It will be a tough day for more than a few teams leaving the paddock after, Core's DPi runs its last and doubt we'll see someone buy it to continue, Ford on their way out and please dear god make the engine sound better off throttle for the DPi, Juncos likely not back with the DPi program unless someone drops in with a lot of cash but that opens a Caddy program to another team, Jon Potter and Magnus leaving the fold possibly after Petit and everyone losing a great Twitter follow, Keating headed out to WEC but at least it's not a loss with Robinson taking over, and if Starworks can make it with the Audi will they return with another car or are they done?

Could be 5-7 cars lost without many rumors of cars being added outside of a few GTDs, but quality teams in WRT and Grasser topping the reporting. I wonder if United Autosport or another LMP2 team(Dragonspeed or G-Drive) could afford a Caddy program and run IMSA for the enduros or full season. I'm not counting on RWR to appear or run well if they do, there's no money in start and park like Nascar guys, and Spirit of Daytona would be a nice add but when I see them on the grid I'll trust the money is there. But that same thing is true for WRT, Grasser, Land, etc who are all "looking" for money to run, I'll express my interest to run right now but I need a couple million dollars and a few seasons to get licensed, but I'm interested and gathering (teeny tiny amounts of) money for a program.

I guess DPI will remain the same since we are getting another Mazda from somebody. LMP2..whatever.

Biggest concern as far as grid sizes go will be VIR. Been a fan of the all GT races and I hold me breath each year at Road America hoping they are preserved. Got that for 2020, but I fear it could be in danger if they can't get the grids for those races at 20 cars....especially VIR. Lime Rock is less of a concern, the 2018 was essentially 16 cars after that first lap wreck and that was fine with the shorter layout. Lets see if the sprint cup gains interest in 2020.

At this point the IMSA Weathertech series sprint cup can't me much more expensive if at all than a SRO Blancpain GT America full season with 2 90 minute races each time. That's 3 hours of racing total. Plus there qualifying sessions are at least double that of IMSA's 15.
Old 17 Sep 2019, 16:17 (Ref:3928546)   #1314
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
The Porsches will be in Coca-Cola (Akin inspired) for Petit. Coke is It!
Old 17 Sep 2019, 16:23 (Ref:3928549)   #1315
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
Link: https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/p...petit-le-mans/
Old 17 Sep 2019, 16:47 (Ref:3928554)   #1316
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
That's pretty cool!
Old 17 Sep 2019, 17:54 (Ref:3928558)   #1317
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
There is even a video release! https://youtu.be/KrgmphXqDfg
Old 17 Sep 2019, 18:27 (Ref:3928559)   #1318
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
That was high on the list, especially with Coke hitting most things they can with promos this year and Porsche seemingly adding more and more Atlanta stuff with the headquarters here. Was hoping there would have been a Porsche day at the track when they ran the GT2 and GT2 RS for lap records but sadly no for understandable reasons. Better if they ran the RSRs down the Connector than that sad photoshop, although moving at 15 mph might not be that fun at 95 degrees this week.
Old 17 Sep 2019, 19:01 (Ref:3928565)   #1319
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Nice! Maybe Pat Long will actually drive it on that weekend? Sounds Park Place isn't sure about PLM...
Old 17 Sep 2019, 19:04 (Ref:3928566)   #1320
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Nice! Maybe Pat Long will actually drive it on that weekend? Sounds Park Place isn't sure about PLM...
I was wondering about Long's appearance in the video...
Old 17 Sep 2019, 19:48 (Ref:3928571)   #1321
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I was wondering about Long's appearance in the video...
I think that has alot to do with him being the only U.S. Porsche factory driver.
Old 17 Sep 2019, 20:50 (Ref:3928577)   #1322
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Woodbury View Post
I think that has alot to do with him being the only U.S. Porsche factory driver.
That's kinda what I'm thinking, too, but I have some wishful thinking as well.
Old 17 Sep 2019, 22:15 (Ref:3928591)   #1323
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I'm not much of a Porsche guy, but as a native Atlantan, that's pretty awesome!
Old 17 Sep 2019, 23:19 (Ref:3928600)   #1324
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Seriously good looking. How on earth have we been dealing with the generic Porsche shield when it's this easy to throw some color and a swoosh on a car? Doesn't even have to be coke, just one red and one black car.
Old 17 Sep 2019, 23:49 (Ref:3928601)   #1325
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
Great tribute to Bob Akin who was a big part of the IMSA story and a sponsor who also is part of that story, and the story of the track itself. That they have "Lady" in script on the nose makes me all wobbly with nostalgia, and also shows that someone in the scheme has got their cookies in order.

Rock On Porsche, Coke and what will be a great show at 'Petty Lemons.'