Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Jan 2003, 12:00 (Ref:467169)   #1
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Zonta becomes Toyota test driver

Ricardo Zonta yesterday became Toyota's test driver for this year!
Old 8 Jan 2003, 13:45 (Ref:467280)   #2
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guess that means Zonta won't be doing CART this year, although not impossible. So what happens to Sarrazin and whoever else they had last year? I think Sarrazin is a great driver...
Old 8 Jan 2003, 13:57 (Ref:467295)   #3
TheGreatJuan
Racer

TheGreatJuan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He might end up driving in the races if Da Matta ends up being a complete fiasco.
Old 8 Jan 2003, 14:17 (Ref:467320)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He is down as first reserve, so that is possible. But I can't see it happening, I've got reasonable expectations of Da Matta, you don't dominate CART without being talented.

Sarazzin and Briscoe are supposedly remaining, but I can't see them doing much testing, especially Sarazzin as he is not a promising youngster anymore.
Old 8 Jan 2003, 14:18 (Ref:467323)   #5
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Well, the press release says he is understudy for Olivier Panis. It also goes on to say that Zonta says he will never again drive for a team where his team partner is an ex world champion, or where the other driver is a friend of the team principle. How do you feel JV and CP
Old 8 Jan 2003, 15:00 (Ref:467367)   #6
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toyota now has another ex-Honda employee. They walk around picking up the crumbs. I think he may be a better choice than DaMatta though. Then again who knows. CART was really messed up this year. It takes away from what may have been a really talented driver.
Old 8 Jan 2003, 15:08 (Ref:467386)   #7
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Zonta dominated that series - something about telephones? - so he cant be all that bad at the mo. Tons of titles to his credit too. John Watson said once that Zonta made a car dance like Senna did. That was when he saw him in the Mercedes GT. Not sure that he is Senna but I think he deserves a second chance.
Old 8 Jan 2003, 17:57 (Ref:467576)   #8
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow, this means Toyota is really attacking to South-American markets.

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 8 Jan 2003, 19:45 (Ref:467685)   #9
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm feeling like a broken record - Just 'cause CART was a bit messed with the whole Reynard thing and Honda not caring as much, doesn't mean Da Matta didn't win it on merit. Da Matta was always the man to beat. There were times when he didn't have the best car in the field. He was very consistant and always drove well with what he had, good or bad. I'm not going to tell you that the NH car didn't make a big difference, but he won it convincingly period.

Last edited by Snrub; 8 Jan 2003 at 19:46.
Old 8 Jan 2003, 20:06 (Ref:467709)   #10
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Da Matta was very good indeed.....As for Zonta , im dissapionted to see that the Cart thing isnt going to happen , but its good to see him get a foot back in the door of F1 after a very good season in Nissan .
Old 8 Jan 2003, 21:34 (Ref:467847)   #11
Guy Goddard2
Racer

Guy Goddard2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great to see Zonta back and back because he deserves to on merit.He drove superbly last year to take the title and the fact that Zonta had so much interest in 2003 for a drive whould lead me to think Toyota have promised him more than just a test driver role for the future.
Old 8 Jan 2003, 22:27 (Ref:467942)   #12
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Guy Goddard2
...and the fact that Zonta had so much interest in 2003 for a drive...
I don't remember his name being mentioned much in connection with many seats, all the talk was about Irv, Wilson, Davidson, Massa and Bernoldi for any vacant slots. He still deserves more than a test role, although perhaps he's had his chance at F1 and not done all that well at it...?
Old 8 Jan 2003, 22:45 (Ref:467973)   #13
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think the fact he's turining down race drives in the USA may say something..........anyway , if 3 car teams end up happening in F1 later this year .....who knows ?
Old 9 Jan 2003, 01:08 (Ref:468082)   #14
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this came out of the blue - but good news for Zonta. I think he deserves another go - lets see how he does in testing..I dont think he`ll get a race seat...but it should be interesting to see how he does because his confidence was very low when he was with BAR and Jordan.
Old 9 Jan 2003, 01:55 (Ref:468095)   #15
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
can the girls have a picture of ricardo with his new big hair please?
Old 9 Jan 2003, 01:56 (Ref:468096)   #16
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I understand his spiteful comments on JV and Pollock but he needs to get over saying that stuff in public. I think everyone has got it by now.

Good that he gets a chance to prove himself again and I hope he takes full advantage of it this time. It was fun to see him beat Jacques in Montreal, even if Jacques never does very well there -- too much pressure and that fist fight with Montoya didn't help at all ... I'm sorry he won't be at NH but I wish him well.
Old 9 Jan 2003, 02:17 (Ref:468105)   #17
JonesF1
Racer

JonesF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by bella
can the girls have a picture of ricardo with his new big hair please?
http://www.pitpass.com/galleryhome.cfm
That might be Elvis - or Zonta, I dont know.
Old 9 Jan 2003, 02:27 (Ref:468114)   #18
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's certainly an improvement!
Old 9 Jan 2003, 06:34 (Ref:468180)   #19
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does he still wear those braces on his teeth?
Old 9 Jan 2003, 12:39 (Ref:468376)   #20
Liz
Veteran

I think he must do -- that's the least teeth I've ever seen him show in a photo. The photo is gorgeous and I've printed out a copy to add to my Zonta Wall in my room.
Old 9 Jan 2003, 13:15 (Ref:468421)   #21
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by 429CJ
Wow, this means Toyota is really attacking to South-American markets.
Non sense. Toyota has a stabilished market over than 3 decades. If one needs promotion are Renault, Citroen or Pegeout...