Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 12 Jan 2023, 19:59 (Ref:4139954)   #1
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
British Rallycross 2023

I see there has been some 2023 season news from Autosport today, so thought I'd start a new thread for this year.

Steve Harris electric MINI Supercar breaks cover...

...apparently doing the full 5 Nations season (so potentially the first electric Supercar at a 5 Nations and French round?).

Also see Roger Thomas saying he will be doing a full season in 5 Nations and the Irish Championship in 2023.
Old 15 Jan 2023, 17:45 (Ref:4140231)   #2
Barrie
Veteran

England
Colchester Essex
Barrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I think there should be serious thought on a joint 5 nations , Ireland link up. Six Supercar Fiestas in Ireland now
Old 15 Mar 2023, 11:05 (Ref:4147143)   #3
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Revised scoring and a team championship for 2023:

5 Nations Rallycross - Teams Championship & New Points Structure for 2023

The revised points doesn't appear to impact the event structure and seems aimed at making the Championship closer, so seems like a good idea.

Not too sure on the team Championship though? Unless there are some teams waiting in the wings (or some drivers going to buddy up to form teams), seems like that is going to be a bit of a one horse race? Hopefully we aren't far from seeing entries confirmed for Lydden, so maybe that will add to the picture.
Old 15 Mar 2023, 13:35 (Ref:4147157)   #4
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Not too sure on the team Championship though? Unless there are some teams waiting in the wings (or some drivers going to buddy up to form teams), seems like that is going to be a bit of a one horse race? Hopefully we aren't far from seeing entries confirmed for Lydden, so maybe that will add to the picture.
Agreed, it's an odd one. RX Racing and LD are the only obvious ones I can think of? Is there any benefit to drivers for forming a team? (If two solo drivers decide to run as a 'team' do they gain anything by doing so?).
Old 15 Mar 2023, 14:11 (Ref:4147160)   #5
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Agreed, it's an odd one. RX Racing and LD are the only obvious ones I can think of?
I hadn't really considered LDM as we haven't seen the DS3 in use for a while, but I guess they could potentially wheel the C4 and DS3 out there.

If Murray Motorsport could be convinced to run the 5 Nations Championship then they could put a couple of competitive Fiesta Supercars out there...

Quote:
Is there any benefit to drivers for forming a team? (If two solo drivers decide to run as a 'team' do they gain anything by doing so?).
...but, as you have said, not sure there is much to gain. Can't see any specific bonus mentioned in the press release.
Old 15 Mar 2023, 14:19 (Ref:4147162)   #6
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I hadn't really considered LDM as we haven't seen the DS3 in use for a while, but I guess they could potentially wheel the C4 and DS3 out there.
Is the Ovenden DS3 run by LDM? I can't remember whether it was in the LDM awning or not. Not sure how many cars LDM has at the moment - they did have a few at one point.
Old 15 Mar 2023, 14:54 (Ref:4147164)   #7
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Is the Ovenden DS3 run by LDM? I can't remember whether it was in the LDM awning or not. Not sure how many cars LDM has at the moment - they did have a few at one point.
I have always struggled determining the exact LDM DS3 numbers. It must be at least three chassis, but it could be more.

I believe Tristan owns and is running the car himself now; his car is the inline DS3 that was previously used by Jake Harris (which I think makes it the first LDM car, as the latter cars were all transverse?).

One of the transverse cars went to Mario Barbosa. There was a conversation online last year that suggested that car might now be in Finland... but I have zero evidence to prove if that is true or internet chat.

I read something from Liam ages ago (think it was a reply to a comment rather than in an article: but don't quote me on that) talking about one of the DS3 having a complete rebuild from the ground up to the point where he considered it a "new" car; my assumption is that is the one and only DS3 that LDM still have now.
Old 17 Mar 2023, 09:22 (Ref:4147385)   #8
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Forgive the double post, but a pretty significant story this morning...

5 Nations - Thorne Returns To Championship

...Jack Thorne is back (in the ex-Albatec 208). If Thorne can sustain the pace he had last time out in that car throughout the season, then Patrick OD vs. Jack could be very entertaining.
Old 17 Mar 2023, 13:59 (Ref:4147412)   #9
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Forgive the double post, but a pretty significant story this morning...

5 Nations - Thorne Returns To Championship

...Jack Thorne is back (in the ex-Albatec 208). If Thorne can sustain the pace he had last time out in that car throughout the season, then Patrick OD vs. Jack could be very entertaining.
Good to see him back again - although it still looks like budget is a problem, that article suggests his sponsor is on board for "the first rounds" so maybe not the full season. Hopefully he does get the budget together as he's clearly a quick driver and the 208 is still a competitive car.
Old 20 Mar 2023, 11:23 (Ref:4148422)   #10
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Good to see him back again - although it still looks like budget is a problem, that article suggests his sponsor is on board for "the first rounds" so maybe not the full season. Hopefully he does get the budget together as he's clearly a quick driver and the 208 is still a competitive car.
Yeah, doesn't appear to be a guaranteed season yet, does it? Hopefully good results will bring a commitment for the full Championship.

I see Vitols teasing on social media over the weekend as well. Would be brilliant to see him back in a (hopefully reliable) Supercar. Patrick OD, Thorne and Vitols could make for a very entertaining title scrap.
Old 20 Mar 2023, 11:38 (Ref:4148429)   #11
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Hopefully Vitols is back, he showed some serious pace, presumably he'd be back in an LDM run car?

Has anyone heard any news about drivers in other classes? It'd be good to get some more supermodified cars out again after a couple of years of very thin entries.
Old 20 Mar 2023, 11:53 (Ref:4148430)   #12
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Hopefully Vitols is back, he showed some serious pace, presumably he'd be back in an LDM run car?
The LDM C4 seems the obvious option, doesn't it? Or maybe the RX Racing Focus?

Quote:
Has anyone heard any news about drivers in other classes? It'd be good to get some more supermodified cars out again after a couple of years of very thin entries.
Not seen anything confirmed and guess we'll have to wait several more weeks before we see any entry lists. Super National had better numbers at the season finale at Lydden, so I hope those drivers will be back (and competitive) this year.

First round of the BTRDA Championship next weekend. Reasonable numbers in most of the classes, so hopefully that will do well this year.
Old 21 Mar 2023, 19:53 (Ref:4148721)   #13
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Vitols confirmed for at least a limited campaign in the C4...

5 Nations - Vitols First Duo Racing Driver

... hopefully the results come so he can secure funding for the rest of the season.
Old 22 Mar 2023, 13:54 (Ref:4148791)   #14
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Vitols confirmed for at least a limited campaign in the C4...

5 Nations - Vitols First Duo Racing Driver

... hopefully the results come so he can secure funding for the rest of the season.
Good to see him back - also that he's part of 'Team Duo' - so presumbaly there's at least one more driver to annouce as part of that team.
Old 22 Mar 2023, 14:20 (Ref:4148796)   #15
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Good to see him back - also that he's part of 'Team Duo' - so presumbaly there's at least one more driver to annouce as part of that team.
Yeah; given there has been a connection between LDM and Steve Harris in the past, is there a possibility the second Team Duo car could be Steve in his electric MINI?

Or someone in the LDM DS3 perhaps? Liam seems to have spent most of the off-season selling his EsCos collection, maybe he is planning a campaign for 2023?
Old 31 Mar 2023, 13:42 (Ref:4149794)   #16
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Not a huge surprise, but Ollie O'Donovan confirms a full season of 5 Nations (and a European Rallycross campaign as well).
Old 4 Apr 2023, 08:49 (Ref:4150389)   #17
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Three posts in a row for me, but two more announcements yesterday; firstly is Michael Boak confirming an entry for Lydden in his Fabia and the second (and arguably bigger) story is the news that Team RX Racing have acquired a Hansen Motorsport 208 for Patrick O'Donovan to use in 5 Nations and for a full EuroRX campaign.

The press release indicates that Team RX Racing will have "support" from Yellow Squad (Faren maybe?). If Patrick can get to grips with that car quickly and the team have the necessary support for running the car Patrick should walk the 5 Nations field.

Confirmed Supercar list is looking pretty good...

Ollie O'Donovan - Team RX Racing - Proton Iriz
Patrick O'Donovan - Team RX Racing - Peugeot 208
Tristan Ovenden - Ovenden Motorsport - Citroen DS3
Jack Thorne - JTRT - Peugeot 208
Steve/Jake Harris - SH Racing - Mini Countryman
Michael Boak - MB Motorsport - Skoda Fabia
Roberts Vitols - Duo Racing - Citroen C4
? - Duo Racing - ?
Mike Sellar - Citroen DS3
Colin Anson - Ford Ka
Victor Vranckx - RX2e

..not officially confirmed, but fairly likely we'll see...

Julian Godfrey - Ford Fiesta
Steve Hill - Mitsubishi Evo X
Oliver Bennett - Mini Cooper (if his Instagram tease is to be believed)

I haven't seen any comment from Tohill, Flitney or Westgarth. Fingers crossed some of those Irish ex-OMSE cars will be over as well.

Full entry list promised tomorrow: I wonder if we can expect any surprises!
Old 4 Apr 2023, 12:08 (Ref:4150395)   #18
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Nice - I do like a Fabia

Also an interesting move for POD - he was quick in the Fiesta so as you say as long as the 208 is reliable he's got to be a clear favourite. Looking like a decent entry for supercar at least, hopefully the other classes can get good numbers too.
Old 4 Apr 2023, 17:13 (Ref:4150422)   #19
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Great mix of brands and models.
Old 4 Apr 2023, 18:33 (Ref:4150426)   #20
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Nice - I do like a Fabia

Also an interesting move for POD - he was quick in the Fiesta so as you say as long as the 208 is reliable he's got to be a clear favourite. Looking like a decent entry for supercar at least, hopefully the other classes can get good numbers too.
Agreed; not seen much pre-season news about the other classes (other than Retro, who have been posting quite a bit on Facebook), so hopefully the numbers are good there as well.

Just seen Godfrey is confirmed in the LDM DS3, so that officially gives us...

Ollie O'Donovan - Team RX Racing - Proton Iriz
Patrick O'Donovan - Team RX Racing - Peugeot 208
Tristan Ovenden - Ovenden Motorsport - Citroen DS3
Jack Thorne - JTRT - Peugeot 208
Steve/Jake Harris - SH Racing - Mini Countryman
Michael Boak - MB Motorsport - Skoda Fabia
Roberts Vitols - Duo Racing - Citroen C4
Julian Godfrey - Duo Racing - Citroen DS3
Mike Sellar - Citroen DS3
Colin Anson - Ford Ka
Victor Vranckx - RX2e
Old 6 Apr 2023, 07:49 (Ref:4150588)   #21
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Full entry list now online:

15 Supercars
10 BMW Mini
10 Junior Swifts
5 Swifts
12 Super Retro
8 Retro
6 All4
7 RX150 (2 drivers TBC)
6 Super National (-1, as I think Scott is already out)

Still not sure on All4, but at least the numbers have risen as promised.

Disappointing entry for Super National though; after the increase in numbers at the final round last year I hoped that 2023 would be a better year for the class. Neither of the Bleasdale cars or a Bellerby though. Should be an easy weekend for Woloch.
Old 6 Apr 2023, 15:05 (Ref:4150640)   #22
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Full entry list now online:

15 Supercars
10 BMW Mini
10 Junior Swifts
5 Swifts
12 Super Retro
8 Retro
6 All4
7 RX150 (2 drivers TBC)
6 Super National (-1, as I think Scott is already out)

Still not sure on All4, but at least the numbers have risen as promised.

Disappointing entry for Super National though; after the increase in numbers at the final round last year I hoped that 2023 would be a better year for the class. Neither of the Bleasdale cars or a Bellerby though. Should be an easy weekend for Woloch.
Impressive supercar and retro entries. As you say though supernational is disappointing, it always used to be my favourite class due to the variety of cars entered. I guess retro has taken some of the field but it'd be good to see more of the regular BTRDA entries that could run in supernational take the plunge.
Old 11 Apr 2023, 20:27 (Ref:4151138)   #23
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
I made it down to Lydden on Saturday, a good day of racing all in all I thought. It's the first time I've seen racing on the revised circuit layout and I think the changes have worked. The field doesn't split at the first corner any more so you get the charge into Chessons with the full grid. The jump is gimmicky for sure but it's fun and it does add something different (and is better than the previous jump).

Supercar was as expected a close fought thing - hopefully Thorne can get a budget sorted to do a full season. The only real disappointment in supercar was the electric Mini - it was slower than I expected (but that could just be down to Harris not knowing the car yet). The sound (or lack of) is as bad as I'd feared, it really does lose a lot of the impact of a petrol supercar.

Throughout the other classes the racing was pretty good, combining supernational and All4 worked I think, the cars seemed to be able to race each other with the exception of Woloch who was long gone. Good to see Van Beers over from Belgium with the Clio, tidy car that fitted in well. I'm still not sure why we need Swifts and Minis - they seem to be filling the same niche but both classes produced decent racing.
Attached Thumbnails
sc3.JPG   m2.JPG   sc6.JPG  

r4.JPG   o3.JPG   sc2.JPG  

Old 12 Apr 2023, 14:54 (Ref:4151229)   #24
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Eventually got around to uploading my vid from Mondays action at Lydden Hill. The first half of the day was set by the horrific rain that almost flooded the circuit in places, especially off the jump into Devils Elbow with a small lake forming. Then the rain was swapped for strong winds in the afternoon which you could see effect the cars in the air from the jump.

In terms of racing, it was one of the best days I've had at the 5 Nations for a long time. Decent girds in all categories made close racing and great driving. Any way here's my vid for anyone who interested:

https://youtu.be/D7r4VWWdGDU
Old 12 Apr 2023, 19:11 (Ref:4151257)   #25
Barrie
Veteran

England
Colchester Essex
Barrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fair play to the drivers, certainly put on a good show in those conditions Monday. I went to both days, enjoyed it but the sport is crying out for some new drivers and cars, thought it lacks numbers in the top classes. Their has never been such a huge pool of supercars available to buy, we need more guys and girls committing to this fantastic sport.