Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 5 Aug 2004, 15:42 (Ref:1057139)   #1
Fan
Veteran

Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spectator Count

Could anyone tell me the average number of spectators now attending CART races, as well as the highest and lowest number this year?
Old 5 Aug 2004, 16:57 (Ref:1057215)   #2
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So far this year? Some events are very successfull, some not so successfull. For instance Toronto had 172k for three days while Milwaukee had 37k over three days. Last year Mexico city had like 400k over three days. (I can't remember the exact number) If you go to www.cart.com you can search the news and for many of the races they'll mention attendance within a few days of a race.
Old 5 Aug 2004, 21:33 (Ref:1057500)   #3
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I lost count, because nobody would stay in the same place for long enough!
Old 5 Aug 2004, 21:48 (Ref:1057545)   #4
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to be a punk or in the event this is a trick question...

The answer is 0 because CART doesn't race anymore.
Old 5 Aug 2004, 21:58 (Ref:1057571)   #5
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I got to 8 but then got distracted by the grid girls and for some strange reason started counting in two's ???????
Old 5 Aug 2004, 22:17 (Ref:1057611)   #6
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Quote:
Originally posted by Marcus
I got to 8 but then got distracted by the grid girls and for some strange reason started counting in two's ???????
Old 5 Aug 2004, 22:43 (Ref:1057639)   #7
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Oh man... That is classic!

Sorry to have taken your thread away from you, Fan.
Hopefully somebody can count by ones and help you out!
Old 5 Aug 2004, 22:49 (Ref:1057647)   #8
racinthestreets
Racer

racinthestreets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 6 Aug 2004, 18:46 (Ref:1058603)   #9
Fan
Veteran

Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Flatspot
Just to be a punk or in the event this is a trick question...

The answer is 0 because CART doesn't race anymore.
LOL - I did mean ChampCar, or OWRS...
Old 8 Aug 2004, 04:03 (Ref:1059818)   #10
dubby99
Racer

dubby99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just wondering this years race at clevland, what was the attendance like for the 3 days and for race day alone??
Old 9 Aug 2004, 04:11 (Ref:1060643)   #11
dubby99
Racer

And what was the attendance like at RA?
Old 9 Aug 2004, 05:14 (Ref:1060664)   #12
rodrigomarban
Racer

rodrigomarban should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last year, the Hermanos RodrÃ*guez in Mexico City was nearly full since Friday.

Attendance for Sunday was 221,011 if I'm not mistaken.
Old 9 Aug 2004, 11:58 (Ref:1060940)   #13
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vancouver had 160,000 more or less for the three days. Canada loves racing and the teams all praise the Canadian fans when they come here.

Our weekend ALMS race had around 100,000 for a three day weekend in which the first two days were cold and threatening rain. We will go anywhere to watch racing.
Old 9 Aug 2004, 12:37 (Ref:1060971)   #14
thunder road
Racer

thunder road should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
come on you CHAMP CAR KNOCKERS,how about some positives,some support for our three most 'gallant'backers 'THE AMIGOES'

do you want a real AMERICAN race car ,that oppitimises the American way,you all go with this 'will it last'"****",you are the guys that make the differenceso come on every body ,who gives a'flying*&^%$' how many 'bums where on seats,its not a lose to your bank account, unless the question was raised by the 'AMIGOES,then I shall pull the "proverbial"head in,,,LETS JUST BE GLAD WE STILL HAVE 'CHAMP CARS'more ,more, more,these cars are the best!!!!!!!!!

editted for unwarranted attacks , we understand peoples passions for Champcars but we do not accept attacks on other forms of racing , learn it Live it

Last edited by marcus; 10 Aug 2004 at 04:20.
Old 9 Aug 2004, 14:05 (Ref:1061058)   #15
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doesn't sound like attendance was all that good at RA.....

http://www.wisinfo.com/sheboyganpres...17246351.shtml
Old 9 Aug 2004, 15:26 (Ref:1061137)   #16
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello Fellows,

Hope everybody is well. My apologies for my absence (not that I believe that you were missing me), which is due to my involvement in a racing history project that takes all of my free time.

I regret to come out of the woods to post not-good news, but the attendance at Road America was really poor last weekend. All of the people I talked with repeated the same: it was the lowest attendance ever to a Champ Car race in Elkhart Lake. Two of the guys I talked with have seen every single Champ Car race at that track and, as me, are die-hard fans and supporters of the series.

My friend Nick said that "even the annual historics race put more people here then what CART [sic] did this weekend" (he is a vintage car racer who always says that "not even his family watch vintage racing").

It is not a matter of "putting a positive spin versus putting a negatuve spin". Once again, wishful thinking by itself is useless. The race at Road America was very poorly promoted - as all Champ Car races in the United States have been, not only this season, but for years now -, and this is a major problem that CART management chose not to address and that OWRS has failed to improve.

I worked in racing promotion in the past and believe me, once the public is gone, it is gone. A golden rule of promotion that indeed is validated by practical experiences is that "once a consumer is lost, the amount of resources required to being him/her back to the product is several times higher that those needed to lure him/her to experience it the first time".

OWRS and Champ Car are losing precious time.

Regards,

Muzza
Old 9 Aug 2004, 16:42 (Ref:1061212)   #17
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bummer about Road America figures. Let's hope it improves next year and that OWRS PROMOTE THE BLOODY THING!!!
Old 10 Aug 2004, 14:17 (Ref:1062203)   #18
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
Mosport67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can echo what Muzza says. We heard exactly that from everyone we spoke to at the track. Even the grandstand at Canada Corner had empty seats. More people were there for the historics according to veteran fans.

The total lack of publicity was amazing. We stayed in nearby Fon du Lac and there was nothing about the race. Milwaukee TV sports had very little if anything (I think there was one 30 second piece after the race on Sunday).

The Chicago Tribune was the presenting sponsor yet they had nothing in Friday or Sunday's paper about the race. They did give out free papers at the track so maybe that was their contribution.

Hopefully they can sort this out and get a deal done to come back and revitalize the fans at RA. It is a great place for ChampCars.
Old 17 Aug 2004, 01:00 (Ref:1068772)   #19
Mags
Veteran

Mags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Muzza. We spoke about this before, and I am sure that it is something that the owners will get cracking on next season. I imagine it just wasn't something that they could deal with soon enough this year.
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 17 Aug 2004, 01:44 (Ref:1068803)   #20
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
On the upside Denver posted a new attendance record according to the announcers. They didn't give a number for the weekend but based on my past experience I beleive them. That shouldn't be too hard considering they also announced that Centrex (sp?) the title sponsor had over 7,000 employees at the race.
Old 17 Aug 2004, 19:19 (Ref:1069671)   #21
Uesque
Racer

Ukraine
Pittsburgh, PA
Uesque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz
Bummer about Road America figures. Let's hope it improves next year and that OWRS PROMOTE THE BLOODY THING!!!
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/12520/

Hey, that promotion thing really works.
Old 17 Aug 2004, 19:41 (Ref:1069698)   #22
Mags
Veteran

Mags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WOW! Positive PR!! Nice to see
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 18 Aug 2004, 00:05 (Ref:1069954)   #23
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We had very little promotion in Toronto this year either. It's one thing we really need to get cracking on. And I do blieve WE can help too -- when we can stop wailing that Champ Cars is dying/dead long enough to wipe our eyes, we can see plenty of things we can do.

RFM is planning a few things for Portland and Toronto next year already. And we already have a venue at Portland!

No we CAN'T leave it to "them" to do -- and then whine because "they" don't do it. We need to pull our weight. And we are going to do it, too.

I'm not surprised RA didn't draw. It's impossible to get to if you don't drive. Are we surprised that street races get the big audiences?
Old 18 Aug 2004, 00:54 (Ref:1069990)   #24
dubby99
Racer

since i live in Sydney Australia i try to promote champcars in sydney
by telling everyone that i know freinds and workmates about champcars, but are simply confused and say that they only race on ovals and prefere to watch F1.

But anyway the race at the Gold Coast is a huge success so i will just leave the event to do all the talking.
Old 18 Aug 2004, 03:12 (Ref:1070050)   #25
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
I wasn't sure if it was just me and the fact that I had a superb weekend out with my son or if this race was the winner it felt like. Well it looks like a lot of other people had a great time too.

Both the track and pedestrian set-ups were substantially improved. The vendors were better and more abundant (although expensive even in terms of Champ Car racing). Moving the race date was key and providing a variety of ticket packages I'm sure helped too.

The racing was excellent, Emfa and I got together for a very nice lunch and a beer, we got to see a few nutso frestyle motocrossers in the process, and race 10 hours of go-karts for $35 on Thursday. All in all it was a better than great way to spend a weekend.

Last edited by Flatspot; 18 Aug 2004 at 03:14.