Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 17 Jun 2019, 10:05 (Ref:3912394)   #3851
SJWBallistic
Rookie

SJWBallistic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How many of us have put something in the air intake of the carburettor to prevent debris getting into the engine when not in use and then forgot to take it out before starting the car.
A look of wonder why the engine wont fire....
Well at least I know I am not alone because even Delta managed it yesterday at Mallory Park with the 500!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2807.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	53391
Old 17 Jun 2019, 15:19 (Ref:3912457)   #3852
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Red faced but thank you Stuart. Well done on Goodwood entry. Fully deserved.
Old 17 Jun 2019, 16:46 (Ref:3912463)   #3853
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJWBallistic View Post
How many of us have put something in the air intake of the carburettor to prevent debris getting into the engine when not in use and then forgot to take it out before starting the car.
A look of wonder why the engine wont fire....
Well at least I know I am not alone because even Delta managed it yesterday at Mallory Park with the 500!
Attachment 53391
It certainly gets a "drop" of petrol in the engine !!!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 18 Jun 2019, 10:44 (Ref:3912641)   #3854
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I’m not going to put this on the Revival thread, in case my sense of humour is not in line with others......

https://sniffpetrol.com/2019/06/04/g...-call-of-duty/
Old 18 Jun 2019, 12:14 (Ref:3912656)   #3855
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I’m not going to put this on the Revival thread, in case my sense of humour is not in line with others......

https://sniffpetrol.com/2019/06/04/g...-call-of-duty/
Two things I'd never imagine in a game. Goodwood and Shooting games.
Old 18 Jun 2019, 13:55 (Ref:3912663)   #3856
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
Two things I'd never imagine in a game. Goodwood and Shooting games.
The final paragraph really made me smile.....
Old 18 Jun 2019, 14:24 (Ref:3912670)   #3857
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I do find Sniff Petrol amusing. As a gentleman of more tender years I I do find some of the language of these youngsters a little coarse, but I can look beyond that. Most of the spoofs are very well written.
Old 18 Jun 2019, 14:50 (Ref:3912674)   #3858
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Nice avatar, Mike. What do you prepare for December…
Old 18 Jun 2019, 14:57 (Ref:3912676)   #3859
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Nice avatar, Mike. What do you prepare for December…
Got to download a few more pics from dropbox to see out the rest of the year! That was the first PA HTC race- Spa 2013....

Viv, it was thanks to your link on the Rich Energy thread that I found the Goody piece. Cheers!
Old 18 Jun 2019, 17:24 (Ref:3912706)   #3860
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
And me. Very funny

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 18 Jun 2019, 17:54 (Ref:3912713)   #3861
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
2013? Oscar Cibié is a must, so chic! At least you follow the rules, all the headlamps are period correct. Not always the case…
Old 18 Jun 2019, 18:04 (Ref:3912716)   #3862
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
2013? Oscar Cibié is a must, so chic! At least you follow the rules, all the headlamps are period correct. Not always the case…
If I had my way, cars entered for Spa6 would have completely period lighting, not as we find nowadays. I find it odd that, for example, a GT40 could successfully do LM24 in the 60s without a rally style lamp pod (OK, not invented ), and yet it’s necessary now.....
Old 18 Jun 2019, 19:00 (Ref:3912729)   #3863
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Fully agreed, Mike! May be others can remember back in the seventies/eighties at Spa when doing the 24 Heures the scrutinizing team didn't appreciate French teams so much. We were obliged to comply with our road regulations meaning we had to have yellow headlamps. It was really painful when another car was overtaking with white lamps…
Old 18 Jun 2019, 19:38 (Ref:3912737)   #3864
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
Seeing and hearing the BMW V12 LMR at Le Mans on TV.The sound is just incredible.Must be great for those there.

The Corvette was easily the most "moving" sound - its visceral, feels like it was rearranging your internal organs. I stood on the pit straight, with a can of beer in my hand, and it actually vibrated in my hand as the Vette blasted past!

My first visit there, and its tiring, but a great experience.
Old 18 Jun 2019, 20:04 (Ref:3912741)   #3865
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
If I had my way, cars entered for Spa6 would have completely period lighting, not as we find nowadays. I find it odd that, for example, a GT40 could successfully do LM24 in the 60s without a rally style lamp pod (OK, not invented ), and yet it’s necessary now.....

Yes but Mike, the cars are so much faster now they must surely need the additional lumens, right?
Old 18 Jun 2019, 21:44 (Ref:3912757)   #3866
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
The Corvette was easily the most "moving" sound - its visceral, feels like it was rearranging your internal organs. I stood on the pit straight, with a can of beer in my hand, and it actually vibrated in my hand as the Vette blasted past!

Maybe we might see them back out in historics sometime in the future or in GTE Am maybe.

Me and my old man tried that with a bottle of water and the Mclaren M8F at Silvestone in May.It worked alright.
Old 19 Jun 2019, 06:51 (Ref:3912803)   #3867
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
What's not to love about a Corvette- especially the noise. There are a couple of earlier ones (C5 possibly) running in Peter Auto Legends, but they've got massive silencers fitted. Maybe as a result of where they've been racing in recent times, but very disappointing!

The GT Bentley, Aston and AMG Merc also make a good noise, probably the first closest to the Corvette- and all front engined monsters.....
Old 19 Jun 2019, 07:20 (Ref:3912811)   #3868
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
My first (of many) trip to Le Mans was 1982/83 when turbo petrol cars like the Porsche 956 were in their heyday. We went on a Page & Moy coach trip, and had seats in the Esso grandstand. That year there were two rather slow, but gloriously noisy Corvettes in the race.
We had the choice of either sleeping in the coach in the car park, or to try and grab some sleep stretched out in the grandstand. So, there I was, in the middle of the night, tightly cocooned in my sleeping bag, stretched out on the wooden bench, and fast asleep until one of the Corvette's came past. I woke with a start. and proceeded to roll off the seat onto the floor, unable to stop myself as my arms and legs were tightly wrapped inside my bag!
Fortunately the seats were not too high, and so apart from a few bruises, I wasn't really hurt. More fortunately, none of my mates were awake at the time to witness my fall!
Old 19 Jun 2019, 09:01 (Ref:3912827)   #3869
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The thunderous noise of the Corvettes at Le Mans has always been something to behold. 20 years ago we had multiple v8, v10 and v12 powered machines with the Panoz, Vipers and Corvettes along with the big engined BMW's and other prototypes. I well remember standing along the straight on the run up to Indianapolis from Mulsanne at 1am listening to the mixture of engine sounds. After a while, even in the dark you could identify the cars from quite a distance, then came the whispering Bentleys which appeared ghostlike as they flew past with deceptive speed. Fond memories both in the wet and dry.
Old 19 Jun 2019, 11:47 (Ref:3912855)   #3870
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Watching the stream of LM last weekend, there was a choice of in car Toyota LMP1, Rebellion or Porsche RSR. The last sounded magnificent, the Rebellion OK, the Toyota like a bag of nails...… What I really wanted was IN CAR CORVETTE, though!
Old 19 Jun 2019, 19:19 (Ref:3912961)   #3871
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If you want noise....I was there of course when the Mazda 787 (etc) was running. When the bloody thing lasted the whole 24 hours it was a bloody disaster for my ears! Previous years we'd been so pleased when they broke
Old 20 Jun 2019, 04:35 (Ref:3913011)   #3872
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
If you want noise....I was there of course when the Mazda 787 (etc) was running. When the bloody thing lasted the whole 24 hours it was a bloody disaster for my ears! Previous years we'd been so pleased when they broke
Yes, but there's 'noise' and 'nice noise'. I think the rotary comes under the former description...

Most important though, is to have a variety- which is where F1 fails nowadays.
Old 20 Jun 2019, 08:04 (Ref:3913033)   #3873
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Yes, but there's 'noise' and 'nice noise'. I think the rotary comes under the former description...

Most important though, is to have a variety- which is where F1 fails nowadays.
Being an old "bike bloke" I think that the Honda 6 race bike on full chat back in the 60s was absolutely magic. Even a road going CBX does it for me as well. All those multi cylinder works bikes like the Moto Guzzi V8 were something else !. Car wise I suppose the BRM 16 cyl takes some beating !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 20 Jun 2019, 08:22 (Ref:3913036)   #3874
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=GORDON STREETER;3913033 Car wise I suppose the BRM 16 cyl takes some beating ![/QUOTE]

V12 Matra - does it for me
Old 20 Jun 2019, 09:32 (Ref:3913042)   #3875
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
I'll join in with other members of the Old Git's club here and mention the V16 BRM which to me has a magnificent sound. (I've never heard the BRM H16 but I presume that'll basically sound like two V8's?)