Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 18 Nov 2018, 23:06 (Ref:3864055)   #51
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Lynk & Co is the manufacturer, not the racing team. They could contract a 2nd team. Or Cyan will run two cars and YMR will run two cars.

This season teams had already to enter two cars.

Personally I like the maximum two cars rule.
Old 19 Nov 2018, 00:36 (Ref:3864074)   #52
PawUloN
Rookie

Poland
Poland
PawUloN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
By the way when I wrote "What would happen to BRC then?" - in fact I meant: "what would happen, if one team would field all 4 cars from one manufacturer, be it directly (if it's allowed) or with a "proxy" team? What with other teams wishing to run same car?"
Old 19 Nov 2018, 11:25 (Ref:3864198)   #53
Cinghio44
Veteran

Italy
Abruzzo
Cinghio44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubio View Post
sporting rules for 2019 may allow maximum 4 cars per manufaturer and no 3-car teams.

If they're doing this maybe more manufacturers are coming! Probably not immediately in 2019, apart Link & Co brand, but with the growing interest in TCR this is not surprising me. Surely some new team could enter in WTCR 2019. YMR could run the other two car from Link & Co, I'm curious about who could run the other two Hyundai...

Is there any chance to see back the Lada brand afer two years of racing in Russia?
Old 19 Nov 2018, 12:33 (Ref:3864217)   #54
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
How does WTCR (and TCR in general) define what is or isn't a 'manufacturer team'?

My understanding is that direct manufacturer involvement is not allowed. For example, JAS build the cars for Honda - they can supply other teams and provide technical support but they can't run a team themselves.

Cyan are building the cars and owned by the manufacturer (or at least owned by the same parent company). So how can they run a team?
Old 19 Nov 2018, 17:07 (Ref:3864275)   #55
Lanti
Rookie

Hungary
Budapest
Lanti should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
How does WTCR (and TCR in general) define what is or isn't a 'manufacturer team'?

My understanding is that direct manufacturer involvement is not allowed. For example, JAS build the cars for Honda - they can supply other teams and provide technical support but they can't run a team themselves.

Cyan are building the cars and owned by the manufacturer (or at least owned by the same parent company). So how can they run a team?

They can simply do the same as Romeo Ferraris. They started a new team called Team Mulsanne, which raced the Alfas built by Romeo Ferraris. But if you went down to the pitlane of the TCR Europe you could see the same at KCMG. I don't remember seeing any Asian faces but saw a lot of familiar boys from JAS.
Old 19 Nov 2018, 19:06 (Ref:3864296)   #56
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

they just use a different team as a ‘front’
Old 20 Nov 2018, 12:08 (Ref:3864471)   #57
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In which case, these rules are rubbish.
Old 20 Nov 2018, 16:00 (Ref:3864523)   #58
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post

How could you avoid it? We may brave human laws, but we cannot resist natural ones.
Old 20 Nov 2018, 19:27 (Ref:3864563)   #59
Lanti
Rookie

Hungary
Budapest
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post

I don't agree with you! If you want a series that travels around the globe you need manufacturer money. If you want a championship that has a decent level to attract sponsors, and has a strong driver lineup you simply need manufacturers.

Is it bad for small privateers? Yes. But the have to accept that this is another level.

I think there is nothing wrong with manufacturers supported teams, with works drivers. What we don't need in TCR is free development to increases budgets.
Old 21 Nov 2018, 07:59 (Ref:3864665)   #60
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Cyan are not building the cars and are independently owned. Geely Group Motorsport are building the cars: http://www.zgh.com/news/5230
Old 21 Nov 2018, 09:57 (Ref:3864691)   #61
Lanti
Rookie

Hungary
Budapest
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMeissner View Post
Cyan are not building the cars and are independently owned. Geely Group Motorsport are building the cars: http://www.zgh.com/news/5230

Thank you for clarifying that, Johan. I think many of us misunderstood the first sentence in this article: https://www.touringcartimes.com/2018...otorsport-arm/

"Polestar Cyan Racing, is no more in name, with Volvo owner Zhejiang Geely Holding Group instead launching a new motorsport wing titled Geely Group Motorsport"

And mistakenly thought Geely Group Motorsport is actually Cyan Racing rebranded. But now it is clear that Christian's team is independet.
Old 21 Nov 2018, 11:06 (Ref:3864706)   #62
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanti View Post
I don't agree with you! If you want a series that travels around the globe you need manufacturer money. If you want a championship that has a decent level to attract sponsors, and has a strong driver lineup you simply need manufacturers.

Is it bad for small privateers? Yes. But the have to accept that this is another level.

I think there is nothing wrong with manufacturers supported teams, with works drivers. What we don't need in TCR is free development to increases budgets.
Think you missed my point.
Old 21 Nov 2018, 15:35 (Ref:3864767)   #63
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanti View Post
Thank you for clarifying that, Johan. I think many of us misunderstood the first sentence in this article: https://www.touringcartimes.com/2018...otorsport-arm/

"Polestar Cyan Racing, is no more in name, with Volvo owner Zhejiang Geely Holding Group instead launching a new motorsport wing titled Geely Group Motorsport"

And mistakenly thought Geely Group Motorsport is actually Cyan Racing rebranded. But now it is clear that Christian's team is independet.

'Geely Group Motorsport' is just their motorsport division marketing name. They dont actually design and build the race cars in-house. Cyan Racing do all the development and building of the cars for Geely Group Motorsport as I'm sure Johan will confirm.

Same as 'Honda Motorsport Europe' dont design and build their cars. JAS do it for them.
Old 21 Nov 2018, 20:03 (Ref:3864839)   #64
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
'Geely Group Motorsport' is just their motorsport division marketing name. They dont actually design and build the race cars in-house. Cyan Racing do all the development and building of the cars for Geely Group Motorsport as I'm sure Johan will confirm.

Same as 'Honda Motorsport Europe' dont design and build their cars. JAS do it for them.
Cyan Racing does not build the TCR cars. Geely Group Motorsport do with their subcontractors.
Old 21 Nov 2018, 20:51 (Ref:3864845)   #65
touring fan01
Veteran

Quote:
Cyan Racing does not build the TCR cars. Geely Group Motorsport do with their subcontractors.
but Cyan did the design and development.
and is Cyan one of the Geely Group Motorsport subcontractors you refer to that help build them?
Old 22 Nov 2018, 08:32 (Ref:3864934)   #66
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
but Cyan did the design and development.
and is Cyan one of the Geely Group Motorsport subcontractors you refer to that help build them?
Cyan Racing has not been part of building the cars, again, Geely Group Motorsport are responsible for that.
Old 22 Nov 2018, 09:22 (Ref:3864937)   #67
JD Media
Racer

Netherlands
Zandvoort
JD Media should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any news about the 2019 calendar?

I hoped they would bring it in Macau, but they didn't?
Old 22 Nov 2018, 10:20 (Ref:3864948)   #68
touring fan01
Veteran

Quote:
Cyan Racing has not been part of building the cars, again, Geely Group Motorsport are responsible for that.
ok thanks for clearing that up.

so Cyan did the design the development, not the build.
Old 22 Nov 2018, 13:28 (Ref:3865000)   #69
Andrew Abbott
Racer

England
Shrewsbury
Andrew Abbott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Media View Post
Any news about the 2019 calendar?

I hoped they would bring it in Macau, but they didn't?
It will be discussed at the WMSC in st Petersburg on 5 December and, if ratified, most likely published the day after.
Old 22 Nov 2018, 17:20 (Ref:3865046)   #70
iceman-1987
Veteran

Italy
milan
iceman-1987 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndySpeed View Post
It will be discussed at the WMSC in st Petersburg on 5 December and, if ratified, most likely published the day after.
I Wonder if they will finally remove that s*** of vila real
Old 23 Nov 2018, 14:24 (Ref:3865231)   #71
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

Here says Vila Real will stay and will be the last of the WTCR European rounds.
Old 23 Nov 2018, 17:06 (Ref:3865268)   #72
Cinghio44
Veteran

Italy
Abruzzo
Cinghio44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
Here says Vila Real will stay and will be the last of the WTCR European rounds.
So Wuhan is not returning...
Old 23 Nov 2018, 17:18 (Ref:3865271)   #73
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did I read that right, a Sepang race?
Old 23 Nov 2018, 22:04 (Ref:3865317)   #74
Rubio
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Rubio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Still think 2 rounds in China for a 10-round calendar is way too much.

Especially if they keep Ningbo - the event is pointless since it has no interest (though the track is good)
Shame if they lose Wuhan, actually it was a very good circuit for action.

Sepang should be a night race, Ribeiro is a fan of those so nothing unusual.
Actually happy to see this, because the track is great and season finale may be epic
Old 24 Nov 2018, 09:17 (Ref:3865420)   #75
Monkey Head
Veteran

Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Monkey Head should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubio View Post
Still think 2 rounds in China for a 10-round calendar is way too much.

Especially if they keep Ningbo - the event is pointless since it has no interest (though the track is good)
Shame if they lose Wuhan, actually it was a very good circuit for action.

Sepang should be a night race, Ribeiro is a fan of those so nothing unusual.
Actually happy to see this, because the track is great and season finale may be epic
a footlights system has completed in sepang this summer, should not be an issue