Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 25 Aug 2005, 05:34 (Ref:1390690)   #76
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray Talker
His ruthlessness on track is criticised at times but ultimately his yorkshire upbringing racing karts from the age of eight with no money

Who paid for it then?
Old 25 Aug 2005, 08:02 (Ref:1390740)   #77
No 4
Veteran

No 4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

[QUOTE=Murray Talker]Trying to put boys, or girls, into F1 will ultimately run the risk of creating a bland, characterless product.

For me great racing drivers are like fine wines, they will mature and usually become much better with age. How and where drivers are tutored is the key to their longevity and character and this need not be rushed. Wisdom and character is earnt through lifes experiences.. the up's and the down's...

My point throughout this debate. Agree totally.
Old 25 Aug 2005, 08:11 (Ref:1390753)   #78
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by No 4
If we all agree 'life experience' is important, why then does the sport seem fixated with youth? Surely if drivers had to wait an extra 2 or 3 years before they got into an F1 car, it would give them time to mature personality wise, therefore making them better equipt to handle their 'big opportunity' when it came along?
I think the fixation on youth in all sports is a simple one. The younger the body the fitter it can be made. It can endure more abuse, recover more quickly etc. Furthermore young men are more prepared to take risks (just watch some of the 16 year olds out racing these days), this is just nature. So overall if you can get the head right (which of course is the problem) for sport you should have a better competitor. The trouble is that they have little or no experience of anything else so are not very interesting for the spectator.
Old 25 Aug 2005, 08:48 (Ref:1390787)   #79
No 4
Veteran

Again, I agree with most of this, but the one thing I would add is that if all the above qualities can be married with a little bit of life experience, then that's got to add up to a better overall package.
Old 25 Aug 2005, 11:02 (Ref:1390873)   #80
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by No 4
Again, I agree with most of this, but the one thing I would add is that if all the above qualities can be married with a little bit of life experience, then that's got to add up to a better overall package.
So hope for me yet then. 50 year old formula ford driver.
Old 25 Aug 2005, 11:36 (Ref:1390904)   #81
No 4
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreversideways
So hope for me yet then. 50 year old formula ford driver.
There's young 50's and then there's you!! I think not!!!
Old 25 Aug 2005, 12:58 (Ref:1390971)   #82
Peter Wardle
Rookie

Peter Wardle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Guys,
Ive followed this thread with interest and I think you may be missing a point regarding youth in motor racing. All the fine ideals about honing talent etc. become irrelevant if drivers dont have the odd Million or so available covering up to their first season in F3, and a further £2.5 million covering another season in F3 and two in GP2, then probably another £4-5 million to buy a first year seat in F1!
The problem is staying in the sport long enough to develop skills and all the accent on youth is really about the levels of indulgent funding available.
From 15 to about 20ish there's far more than there is after 20, so the ages have been lowered to access it and keep most of the teams in business.
We are launching The Challenge (see seperate thread) to cure this problem once and for all and allow talented drivers to stay in the Arena as long as they want to because there is available funding.
What's more - if the F1 rules do change in the way the FIA have indicated, making F1 a low downforce wide tyres category, the training available in the high downforce categories may become irrelevant.
The next few years is going to be very interesting!
Peter.
Old 25 Aug 2005, 15:42 (Ref:1391090)   #83
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I have not seen in recent times a more straightforward, straightalking British racing driver.
So why do you two issue misleading attention grabbing press releases?
Old 26 Aug 2005, 08:32 (Ref:1391596)   #84
Murray Talker
Rookie

Murray Talker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Especially to wind you up Russfeld... oh and also to grab some attention. Although I would never want to mislead you.

Chas
Old 26 Aug 2005, 08:37 (Ref:1391600)   #85
Murray Talker
Rookie

Kicking Back

Dan's dad, Robert, scrapped enough money to run his son on a shoe string in TKM I believe... They never had a proper budget to compete properly - despite this Dan still won many races and championships.

Robert then spent his life savings of 30K on the BRDC chapionship in 2001 which Dan won - I then became invoved from 2002.

Chas
Old 26 Aug 2005, 08:50 (Ref:1391608)   #86
Russfeld
Veteran

You may not intend to mislead people, but you definately have. The hat issue on the podium, the surfing industry; only you would know what else. But considering your background we shouldnt be surprised and in fact its put most people on watch. Two people with a shameless sense of promotion, working towards the same goal. The media is skeptical of your statements to put it mildly.
Old 26 Aug 2005, 09:17 (Ref:1391632)   #87
Murray Talker
Rookie

Mr Russfeld.

I have no idea who you are in the real world but I'm a chap who wants to help young racing drivers who don't have the money themselves to progress their careers.

I believe that the public at large want drivers who are more than one dimensional.

A tad difficult I know when one has a silver spoon in one's mouth...

But Dan Clarke and many other 'poorer' young drivers I know are definately not one dimensional - unfortunately this rarely comes over because of the politically correct way they are expected to behave.

Were the likes of Mansell, Irvine, Senna, Hunt very PC?

I don't think so.

Wearing two hats on a podium!

Surfing!

What's your problem with these - don't you get out much?

The media is skeptical - what media?

Who the hell is 'Speedy' Dan Clarke anyway?

I really don't understand your problem...

Chas Cole
Old 26 Aug 2005, 09:28 (Ref:1391639)   #88
Russfeld
Veteran

You're dodging the issue. You have been overstating situations to drum up media attention. If your boy is so fast, such a racer, and such a salt-of-the-earth man of the people, why the embellishment?
Old 26 Aug 2005, 09:45 (Ref:1391658)   #89
Murray Talker
Rookie

Russfeld

I'm not trying to dodge anything.

Are you saying that Dan isn't fast, that Dan isn't a racer?

What do you really think - take away your frustration with the promotional tactics - can't you see that this guy has a talent?

It is obvious that I think he is speedy, that he is a racer and that he is potentially a British Racing Driver that could connect with the people in a way that Jenson Button has yet not achieved - that is exactly why I'm trying to promote that fact. You call it overstating, embellishing but I just call it good promotion.

Chas
Old 26 Aug 2005, 09:58 (Ref:1391669)   #90
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
Murray Talker and Russfield take up handbags at 10 paces.
Old 26 Aug 2005, 10:55 (Ref:1391720)   #91
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I have no idea who you are in the real world but I'm a chap who wants to help young racing drivers who don't have the money themselves to progress their careers.

I believe that the public at large want drivers who are more than one dimensional.
Hear Hear!! Good on you I say. I find Clarke's promotion things quite refreshing and not boring. Even just reading his press releases on his website sort of portrays that he is a racing driver wants to have fun along the way, nothing wrong with that IMO. As for the two hats on the podium, it makes him stand-out from the rest!
Old 26 Aug 2005, 11:41 (Ref:1391760)   #92
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
hang on.

look at the title of this thread, and STOP DISCUSSING DAN CLARKE. if you want to carry on, do it in pm or something. because i'm seeing a heck of a lot of hands where the crowds of faces aren't listening.
Old 26 Aug 2005, 16:55 (Ref:1391980)   #93
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
First FBMW out of the pits at Knockhill this morning gets to Duffus on his first lap - off and into the tyres.

Then his teammate spears into the gravel and rolls it several times.
Old 26 Aug 2005, 16:59 (Ref:1391983)   #94
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Who were they then?
Old 26 Aug 2005, 17:22 (Ref:1392001)   #95
Kicking-back
Veteran

Don't know - just some info I'd been given from a Knockhill staffer I'd been chatting to about something else
Old 26 Aug 2005, 17:46 (Ref:1392019)   #96
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Call yourself a journalist!?
Old 26 Aug 2005, 17:54 (Ref:1392024)   #97
Kicking-back
Veteran

Yes, I am, but I had about 30 seconds in which to have a three minute conversation.

Anyway, it's only testing, isn't it
Old 26 Aug 2005, 21:45 (Ref:1392192)   #98
Kidzer
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Kidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are you there tomorrow k-b?

I am
Old 26 Aug 2005, 22:37 (Ref:1392216)   #99
Kicking-back
Veteran

I'm there on Sunday only