Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 5 Sep 2023, 17:23 (Ref:4175302)   #151
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
So out of the 20 odd races you tried watching just one (foc ) , didn't like it and concluded the event has lost its identity? Crikey. I almost feel I have to apologise for enjoying it all , including the GT3 race which was worth watching for the astonishing cornering pace of the Elise alone .Mind you , I was there, and paying towards the cost of your free stream .
Old 6 Sep 2023, 07:35 (Ref:4175351)   #152
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw part of the touring car race too, which was mostly spent behind a yellow flag, which didn’t ignite my interest either.

I don’t see why it’s a controversial opinion to say that a Lamborghini Huracan being raced at a festival which was always a historic event means it’s lost its identity. It’s a 5 year old car.
Old 6 Sep 2023, 08:26 (Ref:4175354)   #153
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post
This year I turned it on and was greeted by modern GT3 cars so switched it rapidly back off again.

I don’t know why they made the change this year but it seemed like an odd mixture of cars that it lost the identity of the event.
To be fair some of the GT3/GT4s are now approaching 20 years in age. Although I accept that some of the cars racing at Silverstone were newer than this figure (and by extension, things such as LMP2/LMP3 cars), they are obsolete as far as modern racing goes. Therefore, I can see how the cars meet some people's definition of historic racing.

I also think it's worth noting that the Silverstone Classic has often featured races for cars as the 'newer' end of the historic spectrum. I think the first Classic I attended was in 2005. There was a race for Group C sportscars - some of these were only slightly older than a dozen years. I also recollect races for modern cars, such as Fiat 500 Abarths.

I think the key point is that the Silverstone Classic doesn't set out to replicate/showcase a particularly era of motorsport. Instead, it is about a wide spectrum of races. It is perhaps inevitable within this that there will be races that resonate with some people more than others.
Old 6 Sep 2023, 08:40 (Ref:4175356)   #154
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I sort of see Robin's point but things evolve, and as kipper says many of these cars are now getting on a bit although, for me the Hurracan is a bit too recent. However, anything with an Aston Martin badge (with one fairly recent exception!) does it for me to it was good to see one get amongst those Lambos!
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 6 Sep 2023, 11:38 (Ref:4175374)   #155
flatlandsman
Racer

Ireland
Daventry
flatlandsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would imagine it was an effort to try and attract fans of a different generation, or perhaps they initially struggled to get grids for whatever else they thought about initially.

Entries for the event are draconian, and maybe they tried something else and it was not working. The event was renamed this year so perhaps this also suggest a different tone.

I do not know who runs it, I think it has been run through several promoters over the years, maybe this one is trying something new. I have no issue with what is on offer, the issue i have is the very high admittance fees, the venue and the way they treat fans.
Old 8 Sep 2023, 14:07 (Ref:4175683)   #156
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlandsman View Post
I would imagine it was an effort to try and attract fans of a different generation, or perhaps they initially struggled to get grids for whatever else they thought about initially.

Entries for the event are draconian, and maybe they tried something else and it was not working. The event was renamed this year so perhaps this also suggest a different tone.

I do not know who runs it, I think it has been run through several promoters over the years, maybe this one is trying something new. I have no issue with what is on offer, the issue i have is the very high admittance fees, the venue and the way they treat fans.
It is still operated by Goose Live Events, but is now owned by Silverstone Circuits (again), so it is their event.