Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 1 Dec 2010, 11:25 (Ref:2798049)   #1
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Is it worth it?

Ok,

I need to get GT5 (I think...).

What this would entail is:
  • Buying a whole new steering wheel (and it must be good...)
  • Buying a PS3 (used to have one, sold it)
  • Getting GT5 (that's the easy bit!)

Is it worth it? Which wheel should I get?

Selby
Old 1 Dec 2010, 14:09 (Ref:2798150)   #2
ROB IS THE STIG
Veteran

England
Paddock Hill Bend Brands Hatch!!
ROB IS THE STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I played it at my mates and i wasn't blown away, it is good but that is some outlay for you just to have it??

Good luck to ya if u do go for it
Old 1 Dec 2010, 18:58 (Ref:2798255)   #3
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
From the people I know who have it you are not getting a huge amount new. Yes there are peripheral bits that are new and good, but the game is pretty much a giant patch of the last version.
Old 1 Dec 2010, 19:28 (Ref:2798276)   #4
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
From the people I know who have it you are not getting a huge amount new. Yes there are peripheral bits that are new and good, but the game is pretty much a giant patch of the last version.
with the exception of the handling model, i'd agree with that. The handling is way beyond anything i've played before, and to me its the key element of enjoying a game like this.
Old 1 Dec 2010, 21:11 (Ref:2798323)   #5
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The PS3 slims are shipping with 320GB hard drives now (I have one with 250Gb) and although still pricier than the Xbox 360 its still much better than before! Plus I like the fact its also a Blu-Ray player and has BBC iPlayer (great for watching the F1 forum after races).

As for a wheel, I don't know what your price range is, however I believe the new Logitech Driving Force GT has been designed specifically with GT5 in mind.

Finally on to GT5, I haven't played it much yet, but from what I have experienced it is pretty nice, but it is still a bit buggy. They've put 2 patches out since release already and there's already more in the pipeline so thats good. Despite the issues its definitely worth it IMO. The PS3 has been screaming out for a decent driving title and this is hopefully it.
Old 31 Dec 2010, 14:49 (Ref:2809719)   #6
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Play.com doing the slim 320gb with GT5 for £279, think i may have to invest
Old 4 Apr 2011, 17:39 (Ref:2858714)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I need a blu-ray player and they only way I can think of doing this is by buying a PS3, GT5 and steering wheel.
Is the current wisdom still that the Logitech Driving Force GT is the best wheel?
Old 4 Apr 2011, 20:40 (Ref:2858826)   #8
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
For the price I would say yes, the Driving Force GT would be a good choice. The current high end wheels are silly money.
Old 4 Apr 2011, 21:38 (Ref:2858857)   #9
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
buy the PS3 and the game, but the wheel only if you play other racing sims as well.
GT5 for me became an agonizing grind beyond level 20, which basically made me quit a few levels later. You can play with the standard ps3 controller, and the extra cost for the wheel just doesn't seem justified to me
Old 5 Apr 2011, 12:15 (Ref:2859114)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
By the way, this is done and dusted now. Just updating the software. I went for that wheel.

I am surprised that I am going to say this, but the guy who served us in GAME was very good. Helpful, got me a discount on GT5 (I didn't want the game supplied with box) and I am very happy with the service. When was the last time that happened in a shop!
Old 5 Apr 2011, 12:34 (Ref:2859132)   #11
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I am surprised that I am going to say this, but the guy who served us in GAME was very good. Helpful, got me a discount on GT5 (I didn't want the game supplied with box) and I am very happy with the service. When was the last time that happened in a shop!
Erm, Thursday, when I was in GAME in Stirling, sorting out a present for my nephew!
Old 5 Apr 2011, 12:54 (Ref:2859139)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Excellent, two recommendations for GAME. I had tarred them with the same brush.

I still had a dreadful time in HMV!
Old 5 Apr 2011, 15:07 (Ref:2859202)   #13
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wow good service in GAME.

Mind you I was happy when I got my 360 from them. I think the problem is when you go in just to browse and they come bounding up to you asking if you need help before you have even got into the store. There is a guy in the Oxford Street branch who gets on my norks for this. He is difficult to shake off. I went in just to look through the second hand games, I said I was just browsing so he asked me what games I like. Desperate to shake him off I just said "oh, all sorts really". He then went on to talk me through each and every game and tried to sell me one of the crappest games in the store. Unstoppable!

I now walk away if I see him approaching.
Old 5 Apr 2011, 16:24 (Ref:2859239)   #14
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I need a blu-ray player and they only way I can think of doing this is by buying a PS3, GT5 and steering wheel.
You Sir, are a legend. I love that way of thinking.

''Oh darling, I need a new bearing press for the garage, we'll HAVE to move house!''

I guess if you're going to do it, do it properly.
Old 5 Apr 2011, 19:52 (Ref:2859334)   #15
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
GT5 is a slow which will only show it's true depth a few months down the line. Bought Shift 2 which is a far more intense experience with more emphasis on racing.

Non-racing recommendations -

Uncharted 2
Fight Night Champion
Killzone 2/3

PS, back-up all game saves.
Old 6 Apr 2011, 08:54 (Ref:2859535)   #16
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Seconded, my 1st Gen PS died a few weeks back (in fairness, it had been pretty much on 24/7 for almost 4 years and the 1st ones did have an overheat problem) and I lost all my game saves. I'm now looking at the PSN Plus option which apparently lets you keep game saves "in the cloud".
Old 6 Apr 2011, 16:48 (Ref:2859754)   #17
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's only worth it if you like racing street cars, but even then, it gets pretty old racing for 4 or so hours at a time to get a goddamn Kubelwagen. There are far too many cars in this game that have no business being on this earth, not just the game.
Old 6 Apr 2011, 16:50 (Ref:2859756)   #18
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
GT5 is a slow which will only show it's true depth a few months down the line. Bought Shift 2 which is a far more intense experience with more emphasis on racing.

Non-racing recommendations -

Uncharted 2
Fight Night Champion
Killzone 2/3

How do the physics compare? I'm looking to offload GT5, and I'll either get F1:CE + another game, or Shift:2

The only real great thing about GT5 as far as gameplay is the karts.
Old 6 Apr 2011, 17:37 (Ref:2859777)   #19
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
First time you play Shift 2 you'll want to throw your controller through the TV.

You need to steer the car as opposed to the almost digital way GT5's steering operates. Once you master that the physics are enjoyable rather than hardcore but it feels like you're driving the actual cars and the sounds, graphical effects etc. make it the most authentic experience so far.

Last edited by JAG; 6 Apr 2011 at 17:42.
Old 6 Apr 2011, 18:03 (Ref:2859789)   #20
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
I have a DFGT, though.
Old 9 Apr 2011, 16:59 (Ref:2860932)   #21
Matt Hunter
Racer

England
Exmouth
Matt Hunter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GT5 was a launch day purchase for me. Got the LE version. Really glad I didn't shell out the extra for the Signature Edition as not long after you could get it in limited numbers from GAME for £50!!

Its a solid game but as many have said, not the leap forward many were expecting and certainly leaves me underwhelmed. The sound is the worst aspect for me. If I wanted to listen to a washing machine on spin scycle I'd stand in my kitchen. Don't need to hear that from what should be a Gallardo!

There is SOOOOOO much to do, and you really dont need so many cars. The standard spec cars really look like ported GT4 cars and its disappointing to look at them. The Premium ones make up for it as long as you only collect those. Sadly you win Standard cars alot of the time, (not unlike winning a plastic trophy) and have to use them for some of the races.

The replays could be soooo much better but when the game chooses to show you the wider shots of the environment you get the impression its a cardboard word troubled with smog, such is the inherant haziness of the day time environments.
There is ALOT this game does right, just a good number of things it doesn't.
Old 10 Apr 2011, 03:29 (Ref:2861109)   #22
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hunter View Post
GT5 was a launch day purchase for me. Got the LE version. Really glad I didn't shell out the extra for the Signature Edition as not long after you could get it in limited numbers from GAME for £50!!

Its a solid game but as many have said, not the leap forward many were expecting and certainly leaves me underwhelmed. The sound is the worst aspect for me. If I wanted to listen to a washing machine on spin scycle I'd stand in my kitchen. Don't need to hear that from what should be a Gallardo!

There is SOOOOOO much to do, and you really dont need so many cars. The standard spec cars really look like ported GT4 cars and its disappointing to look at them. The Premium ones make up for it as long as you only collect those. Sadly you win Standard cars alot of the time, (not unlike winning a plastic trophy) and have to use them for some of the races.

The replays could be soooo much better but when the game chooses to show you the wider shots of the environment you get the impression its a cardboard word troubled with smog, such is the inherant haziness of the day time environments.
There is ALOT this game does right, just a good number of things it doesn't.
Not to mention the amount of useless cars.
Old 10 Apr 2011, 10:10 (Ref:2861213)   #23
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Gotta be honest I had the chance to get this cheap the other day and bought DIRT 2 instead!

I tried the initial version when new, got full money back coz it was bad, then thought I would try it as a bargain buy as there was nothing much around to play.

As said before, it is basically a very posh patch for GT4. Sounds have always been crap on GT games on some cars.

But, the reward cars are poor and as people say the errors really are unforgivable for a game costing that much and one that has been THAT long in development.

Poorly Q/A tested, which is a very basic aspect of game production. Makes me think they were pressured into a release date.
Old 10 Apr 2011, 13:19 (Ref:2861347)   #24
jonboy1066
Racer

United Kingdom
'astings
jonboy1066 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
Ok,

I need to get GT5 (I think...).

What this would entail is:
  • Buying a whole new steering wheel (and it must be good...)
  • Buying a PS3 (used to have one, sold it)
  • Getting GT5 (that's the easy bit!)
Is it worth it? Which wheel should I get?

Selby
No definately NOT.

I've had GT5 since christmas, have played through to Level 30 A Spec, then rubberbanded my way to level 40 and 950+ Cars, I'm also around level 35 B-Spec, but since Shift 2 came out I simply don't care anymore.

GT5 is the most boring, unchallenging, disappointing, overhyped nonsense of a non game that ever there was.

The physics are not bad, some of the tracks are OK, and on some cars the FFB is OK but on the whole it's just a plain poor game, poorly designed and poorly executed.

If you already have an XBox, just get Shift 2 instead, it is far superior in so many ways. Get the settings right (and a Fanatec Wheel if you can) and this is one of the finest Sims on any console. The AI actually races you, the game looks and feels immersive the tracks are all fantastically done, and are all great.

Shift is a game I want to keep coming back to and enjoy immensly every time i do, GT5 was a game I felt I should keep playing but just couldn't find the enjoyment......I've now not played GT5 for over a week and feel much better for it.

Perry McCarthy
Old 11 Apr 2011, 19:10 (Ref:2862067)   #25
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The online aspect of GT5 is the thing that keeps me playing. Although it can take a while to find a room with people who want to race fairly & not just ram you off the track.