Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 22 Oct 2023, 19:01 (Ref:4182478)   #1
Th3_Ch4s3
Rookie

Th3_Ch4s3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Identifying an old Tojeiro 'Sewell'

Evening all,

Long shot this - I'm aware.

In 1996 my father sold his 'Sewell'. I know little about it other than it had a TR3 engine with a 5 speed gearbox, a Tojero chassis, and was put together by a likely long forgotten garage in Hammersmith at some point in the 1950's. I also know that there was a badge that says "Sewell Hammersmith" on the steering wheel. I also know it had two registration numbers in it's time - VVS 382 and 5 CPB; I can't find any history on either of them.

Outside of the above, I know that the new owner in 1996 either did (or at least intended to) retrofit the chassis with a new aluminium body and replace the TR3 engine with a Bristol straight 6. The new owners intention was to take it historic racing and I'm fairly certain it would have done so.

I have around 25 photos of it in both original state and the state in which my farther sold it - hopefully I've uploaded the key ones to this post but obviously can provide more if it would help identification.

I'm really hoping I can find this car, I'd really, really appreciate information anyone might have about it's whereabouts.

Many thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
image0 (10).jpeg   image0 (11).jpeg   image1 (1).jpeg  

image3 (2).jpeg  
Old 23 Oct 2023, 08:51 (Ref:4182569)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Welcome. I think that this may be better in History but will leave it here for a few days.

Very interesting! A new one on me and have no immediate recollection of coming across this, in 50s historic racing anyway.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 23 Oct 2023, 09:50 (Ref:4182581)   #3
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder if the car was originally powered by a Bristol engine and the purchaser in 1996 was returning the car to it's original specification by changing the TR3 engine for a Bristol engine. Most early Tojeiro Bristols had front ends reminiscent of the related AC Ace but there is a picture on Pinterest which shows a 1954 Tojeiro Bristol with a lower and narrower radiator opening.

Sewell probably refers to the garage which converted the car to TR3 power but the car you are looking for is likely to be a Tojeiro Bristol as to compete in Historic Racing the car would need to be in the specification in which it raced.
Old 23 Oct 2023, 10:11 (Ref:4182585)   #4
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I seem to recall Tom McWhirter raced a Tojeiro Bristol in a FISCAR race at Castle Combe in 2016 (the first wet Autumn Classic), although his has a front end reminiscent of a BMW 328 so is presumably earlier than 1954.

Last edited by GCCheddaris; 23 Oct 2023 at 10:30.
Old 23 Oct 2023, 11:54 (Ref:4182605)   #5
Belmondo
Racer

Belmondo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Styling's a bit reminiscent of the Buckler/Mistral specials.
Old 23 Oct 2023, 13:21 (Ref:4182622)   #6
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmondo View Post
Styling's a bit reminiscent of the Buckler/Mistral specials.
Body definitely looks like a Microplas Mistral which was originally designed for fitting to a Ford 10 chassis. Released in 1955 it was subsequently fitted to Buckler (DD2), Fairthorpe (Electron), Frazer Nash and TVR. Ken Wharton fitted a Mistral body to his FN LeMans Replica and raced it in 1955; this of course would have had the 2 litre Bristol engine so there is a clear precedent.

I think the body was also fitted to a Jaguar XK chassis to make the Alton Special, but happy to be proved wrong on that one.
Old 23 Oct 2023, 17:55 (Ref:4182657)   #7
Th3_Ch4s3
Rookie

Th3_Ch4s3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Evening all,

First of all thank you for the replies, I've learnt a lot in five posts! Unfortunately this era of vehicle isn't typically my field of knowledge so it's great to get some information about what bits may be what.

From what I can ascertain from the above, it was either originally fitted with a Bristol engine and at some point changed to a TR3, or it was perhaps built as a 'special' of sorts from a Tojeiro chassis and fitted with a contemporary GRP shell (I concur the Microplas Minstral looks very similar!). Would this be a fair assessment?

I'm also getting the feeling that it's original identity has likely long since been lost, with the new engine and body, and likely all words of Sewell removed from it. That's a very depressing thought but sounds as though it is likely to be the case.
Old 14 Nov 2023, 10:37 (Ref:4185815)   #8
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Now moved to 'History'
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!