Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 16 Jun 2005, 18:18 (Ref:1330688)   #1
RaptorUK
Rookie

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
RaptorUK has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Oulton Park

Hi,

anyone have any good suggestions for places to take pictures from for this weekends BTCC? And no I don't have media accreditation

In 2003 I was just there on the Sunday and spent most of my time at the hairpin between Lakeside and Hill Top, it was an OK location but my pictures were a bit pants, I was still quite new to my S2 then. Last year I parked myself at the approach to Cascades, my pictures were better than 2003 but not something I would be happy with now, too many pictures of the rears of the cars.

I visited the circuit a few weeks ago to do some testing of my D2X and lenses and stood on the inside of the track just down from Warwick Bridge. It might be a good spot, can reach the inside of the corner and zoom back to get the cars accelerating up the hill . . .

This year I will be at the circuit on Saturday and Sunday, on Saturday I'll be walking round the circuit looking for suitable positions as well as spending some time in the paddock. Ideally I would like a cuple of spots within 10 mins walking of each other to get a bit of variety in my shots.

So. . . . any suggestions ?

thanks in advance
Old 16 Jun 2005, 19:30 (Ref:1330820)   #2
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
personally I like either side of the track at Lodge and hopefully you'll find me there on Saturday
Old 16 Jun 2005, 19:37 (Ref:1330827)   #3
MattBateman
Rookie

MattBateman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorUK
Hi,

anyone have any good suggestions for places to take pictures from for this weekends BTCC? And no I don't have media accreditation

In 2003 I was just there on the Sunday and spent most of my time at the hairpin between Lakeside and Hill Top, it was an OK location but my pictures were a bit pants, I was still quite new to my S2 then. Last year I parked myself at the approach to Cascades, my pictures were better than 2003 but not something I would be happy with now, too many pictures of the rears of the cars.

I visited the circuit a few weeks ago to do some testing of my D2X and lenses and stood on the inside of the track just down from Warwick Bridge. It might be a good spot, can reach the inside of the corner and zoom back to get the cars accelerating up the hill . . .

This year I will be at the circuit on Saturday and Sunday, on Saturday I'll be walking round the circuit looking for suitable positions as well as spending some time in the paddock. Ideally I would like a cuple of spots within 10 mins walking of each other to get a bit of variety in my shots.

So. . . . any suggestions ?

thanks in advance

I go....

- after Warwick Bridge but before Lodge - get them just coming over the brow of a hill.. but my camera isn't quick enough to focus too well here!

- closer to Lodge for the braking point

- in the bottom of Deer Leap - get some really good panning shots here

- its a long walk, but also use Brittens and Hill Top - usually much quieter and full of other people with cameras and big lenses!

- occassionally also use the outside of Knickerbrook going up Clay Hill

- Sometimes also use The Avenue straight but again they move too fast for my camera here!!

Also occassionally go on the outside of Lodge (have found a spot where I can get low and not have the ambulance in the background!)

That covers most places really, will be doing as you do on Saturday, walking round loads, but on Sunday plan to be around Brittens or Deer Leap / after Wawrick Bridge for most of the day.

Really looking forward to it too!
Old 16 Jun 2005, 20:53 (Ref:1330980)   #4
RaptorUK
Rookie

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
Thanks for the advice, I'll have a good look at the places you have suggested, do you have any thoughts on the new East Bank viewing area ?

cheers,
Old 16 Jun 2005, 21:19 (Ref:1331031)   #5
MattBateman
Rookie

East Bank viewing area?? whereabouts is that??
Old 16 Jun 2005, 21:27 (Ref:1331041)   #6
RaptorUK
Rookie

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
Acording to an email I had from MotorSprort Vision the new East Bank is

"located on the outside of the circuit, with great views of Old Hall down to Cascades, the steep banking provides a completly new spectating experience "

there is also a new "circuit crossing" to allow easy access to/from the centre of the circuit.

cheers,
Old 16 Jun 2005, 21:47 (Ref:1331082)   #7
MattBateman
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorUK
Acording to an email I had from MotorSprort Vision the new East Bank is

"located on the outside of the circuit, with great views of Old Hall down to Cascades, the steep banking provides a completly new spectating experience "

there is also a new "circuit crossing" to allow easy access to/from the centre of the circuit.

cheers,
Must be a very new thing - wasnt there a fortnight ago but sounds good to me! (especially the crossing part!). Will check that out on Saturday. You might get good shots of Old Hall from there.
Old 17 Jun 2005, 07:02 (Ref:1331291)   #8
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBateman
wasnt there a fortnight ago
Yes it was! It's been in use most of the season, but the crossing only appeared after the BSB meeting & hasn't been used for club meetings.
Old 17 Jun 2005, 11:40 (Ref:1331439)   #9
Neil Adams
Veteran

United Kingdom
Essex
Neil Adams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hi all

wheres this new circuit crossing point? i was planning to cross the track between sessions at lodge corner.. havent down this before and from what people are saying and from pics i've seen theres quite a few good photo oppurtunitys in this area (outside of the track) from lodge to the first corner.

Plan (for btcc sessions)

FP1 lodge corner and track leading up to it from inside

FP2 deer lap & exit of old hall corner from outside of track

Qual - knickerbrook chicane

Raceday at knickerbrook
Old 17 Jun 2005, 11:52 (Ref:1331446)   #10
RaptorUK
Rookie

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK

The email I had implied that it was between Old Hall and Cascades . . .

cheers,
Old 17 Jun 2005, 12:05 (Ref:1331451)   #11
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Adams
wheres this new circuit crossing point?
It's roughly halfway between Old Hall & the Avenue.
Old 17 Jun 2005, 13:20 (Ref:1331510)   #12
Neil Adams
Veteran

United Kingdom
Essex
Neil Adams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
cheers!
Old 17 Jun 2005, 17:42 (Ref:1331716)   #13
MattBateman
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand
Yes it was! It's been in use most of the season, but the crossing only appeared after the BSB meeting & hasn't been used for club meetings.
Ahh right, that would explain a lot. Doesn't look much different from what I can remember though...
Old 17 Jun 2005, 23:20 (Ref:1331902)   #14
924nut
Racer

924nut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only place that you havent listed ( I think) is on the exit of old Hall on the infield side - nothing to get in your way of a clear shot in the middle of the corner and then down the avenue