Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 13 Dec 2005, 21:32 (Ref:1483455)   #1
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I should be shot.

I nearly caused a crash earlier. I had just joined the M62 and I was waiting for a car to pass me so I could pull out into the middle lane and get up to speed and and totally forgot about the fact that a car was close behind him! He managed to miss me (I think he was probably going to overtake anyway) but I could tell it was close and I felt stupid and awful. (still do)

However, this does not excuse his behavior later on when he decided to do the same to me. Yes I made a mistake yet it wasn't intentional, and behavior like that is just stupid, dangerous and immature.
Old 13 Dec 2005, 21:47 (Ref:1483464)   #2
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ouch!
Old 14 Dec 2005, 00:07 (Ref:1483553)   #3
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ach, everyone makes mistakes sometimes. If someone does it to me and then waves a 'sorry' then it's instantly forgotten. In fact I'll usually acknowledge the apology. Anyone who retaliates after that deserved to be cut up in the first place.

I take it you did indicate an apology?
Old 14 Dec 2005, 00:58 (Ref:1483572)   #4
peteconnors
Racer

United Kingdom
Shropshire
peteconnors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wouldn't it be nice if we had a system like Switzerland where all numberplates are listed in a directory. I suspect that if other drivers details were available to all the road rage would disappear over night! It'll never happen though, it's open to too much abuse in this country!
Old 14 Dec 2005, 06:40 (Ref:1483637)   #5
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
SpawnyWhippet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
yes. if you had a nice car, all the thieves would know where it parked at night...
Old 14 Dec 2005, 09:03 (Ref:1483678)   #6
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
Ach, everyone makes mistakes sometimes. If someone does it to me and then waves a 'sorry' then it's instantly forgotten. In fact I'll usually acknowledge the apology.
Yes, absolutely agree. I can understand Maximus embarrassment. Like, I'm sure the rest of us, I try not to make driving mistakes but when I do I feel extremely cross with myself and where it involves another driver, I wave an apology in acknowledgement of my error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteconnors
Wouldn't it be nice if we had a system like Switzerland where all numberplates are listed in a directory. I suspect that if other drivers details were available to all the road rage would disappear over night! It'll never happen though, it's open to too much abuse in this country!
I think that as well as the abuse that you and Andy refer to, it's also likely that the sheer number of cars on our roads would make it prohibitive. It would probably be an administrative nightmare. No guarantee it would work in all cases either since there are always thousands of cars changing hands and up to a million unlicensed cars on our roads, probably more that the total in use on Switzerland's roads!
Old 14 Dec 2005, 12:21 (Ref:1483828)   #7
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
Ach, everyone makes mistakes sometimes. If someone does it to me and then waves a 'sorry' then it's instantly forgotten. In fact I'll usually acknowledge the apology. Anyone who retaliates after that deserved to be cut up in the first place.

I take it you did indicate an apology?
Yes I did, but it was dark and he went past so fast I doubt he saw it. I overtook him later and tried to repeat the gesture but he was giving me hand signals so I just ignored him. (I would have replied in a "friendly" way but a tight-ish bend was coming so I didn't)
Old 14 Dec 2005, 14:28 (Ref:1483939)   #8
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
I think that as well as the abuse that you and Andy refer to, it's also likely that the sheer number of cars on our roads would make it prohibitive. It would probably be an administrative nightmare. No guarantee it would work in all cases either since there are always thousands of cars changing hands and up to a million unlicensed cars on our roads, probably more that the total in use on Switzerland's roads!
I think that it was MCN that was complaining last week that this information IS available. You have to contact the DVLA and pay them a couple of quid and they send you the information.
Old 14 Dec 2005, 14:32 (Ref:1483944)   #9
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Indivdual info is certainly available, but I thought only to those who had a justifiable reason to request it, like an RTA or theft. Can you imagine the size of the directory if one was readily available for the UK - double decker size, I would guess!
Old 14 Dec 2005, 15:07 (Ref:1483962)   #10
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
You admit you made a mistake, you 'got away' with it......don't worry!

Should you have ever got into that situation? Firstly, was there space in lane three for the car you had to wait for to pull out & make room for you - if there was, why didn't he do so (I assume you were indicating your intent to pull out!)? Secondly, why was there a car close behind him? Sometimes the 'innocent party' is just as guilty as anyone else.
Old 14 Dec 2005, 15:37 (Ref:1483982)   #11
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
One point that occurs on this. Did you check over your shoulder before pulling out? I know it tends to be something taught to motorcyclists more than motorists (it can be a lifesaver for bikers!). I tend to when pulling out (and when joining a motorway/dual carriageway), and very occasionally it alerts me to a car right next to me that I ddin't realise was there!
Old 14 Dec 2005, 17:10 (Ref:1484056)   #12
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
I did look over my shoulder, but I wasn't concentrating enough I think and thats what caused it. I did indicate, but I pulled out a little suddenly I concede.
Old 14 Dec 2005, 18:22 (Ref:1484099)   #13
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
By the way, should you require any further clarification on motorway driving, I'm pretty sure this website has all the answers....

http://www.howmotorwayswork.co.uk/

Old 14 Dec 2005, 18:27 (Ref:1484102)   #14
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
Well I went home a bit slower than I normally drive!

I also forgot to add that when I decided to overtake the car, there was no one behind it, so for some reason I never expected anyone to be there afterwards. Still my fault though.
Old 14 Dec 2005, 21:16 (Ref:1484236)   #15
peteconnors
Racer

United Kingdom
Shropshire
peteconnors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John Turner: Like anything in this country: it would only be an administrative nightmare if the government decided to deal with it themselves! If it was set up by an independant company I'm sure it would work like a Swiss watch! As for the cars being sold etc, the Swiss get by this by issuing you with your own registration number when you get your license. This transfers with you rather than with the car... a neat system I think. Andy: As for the theives knowing where you live, this isn't a problem in Switzerland as they have the highest number of guns to people around! The whole country is armed to the teeth, and they know how to use them as well, thnaks to national service... Probably explains why they are neutral: nobody is silly enough to try and invade them!!
Old 23 Dec 2005, 12:42 (Ref:1489223)   #16
Julio
Racer

United Kingdom
Julio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't worry Maximus it happens to the best of us. Moments like that certainly make you more careful in the future!

Look after your Fiesta Maximus!
Old 23 Dec 2005, 16:33 (Ref:1489359)   #17
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
John Turner: Like anything in this country: it would only be an administrative nightmare if the government decided to deal with it themselves! If it was set up by an independant company I'm sure it would work like a Swiss watch! As for the cars being sold etc, the Swiss get by this by issuing you with your own registration number when you get your license. This transfers with you rather than with the car... a neat system I think.
O.K Pete, if you think so!

Quote:
Andy: As for the theives knowing where you live, this isn't a problem in Switzerland as they have the highest number of guns to people around! The whole country is armed to the teeth, and they know how to use them as well, thnaks to national service...
And that's good, is it? It would be appalling if that situation prevailed here!

Quote:
Probably explains why they are neutral: nobody is silly enough to try and invade them!!
I suspect that this was 'a tongue in cheek' comment! Historically, the reasons have had much more to do with the role they have played in Europe, both politically and financially.

I suppose I am just too cynical to suggest that you could import this system as it stands into a country with a much higher population.

Anyway, back to thread, I agree with julio!