Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 17 Jun 2017, 01:26 (Ref:3742394)   #2726
Makaze
Racer

Makaze has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Plan is testing in Sept. and running at Petit LeMans to find gremlins before the season next year. Simon Pag as development driver.
Old 17 Jun 2017, 01:59 (Ref:3742400)   #2727
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaze View Post
Plan is testing in Sept. and running at Petit LeMans to find gremlins before the season next year. Simon Pag as development driver.
As much as I'd love to see it, it seems like those days of testing at a race have gone by the wayside. Plus would it have to be homologated before other teams would not protest to block it.

I'll hold out hope i'll see it on track testing day Tuesday but in the race I'm not so sure sadly.
Old 17 Jun 2017, 15:01 (Ref:3742759)   #2728
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaze View Post
Very much a maybe.
Old 17 Jun 2017, 15:33 (Ref:3742803)   #2729
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Very much a maybe.
Agreed. I'm very aware that race miles are different, and perhaps better than testing miles. But Honda will have about the same lead time on their DPi that Cadillac did for theirs. So the car should be pretty well sorted for Daytona, even without a early-in-testing run at Petit.

Of course, I would love to see the Honda at Petit, it would definitely spice up the show and I'd hope it would push the Cadillac boys even then.

Chris
Old 11 Jul 2017, 14:17 (Ref:3750416)   #2730
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Honda is officially an Acura.

Guess I'll fire up the grill for that crow. Sheesh...
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 11 Jul 2017, 14:55 (Ref:3750427)   #2731
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Granted, all we have is the Oreca press release and the HPD and Penske formal announcement is probably still maybe a few hours away, but I'm surprised that nothing in the way of specs has been revealed as of yet.
Old 11 Jul 2017, 14:59 (Ref:3750428)   #2732
JLGarcia
Racer

JLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Granted, all we have is the Oreca press release and the HPD and Penske formal announcement is probably still maybe a few hours away, but I'm surprised that nothing in the way of specs has been revealed as of yet.
HPD release.

Quote:
Based on the very successful ORECA 07 chassis, the new ARX-05 prototype features Acura-specific bodywork and utilizes the race-proven, production-based Acura AR35TT twin-turbocharged 3.5-liter V6 engine.
[...]
Based on the “J35” family of engines found in Acura RDX, MDX, RLX and TLX production vehicles, the Acura AR35TT engine to be used in the ARX-05 was initially adapted for racing in a joint effort between HPD and Honda R&D Americas. Used in a variety of prototype chassis, the engine has powered class winners at the 12 Hours of Sebring (2011-13); the 24 Hours of Le Mans and LMP2 World Endurance Championship (2012); the American Le Mans Series LMP2 titles (2012-13); and the overall winners at the Rolex 24, 12 Hours of Sebring and Petit Le Mans in 2016.
Old 11 Jul 2017, 15:14 (Ref:3750433)   #2733
YZFrider
Racer

YZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridYZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unveiling during Monterey Classic Car week..... sweet
Old 19 Jul 2017, 11:29 (Ref:3752765)   #2734
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Joest To Take Over Mazda DPi Programme

Whoa, where did this come from? Maybe I haven't been paying attention.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2017/0...programme.html

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/ju...n-be-unlocked/
Old 19 Jul 2017, 12:52 (Ref:3752783)   #2735
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
Whoa, where did this come from? Maybe I haven't been paying attention.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2017/0...programme.html

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/ju...n-be-unlocked/
It was a surprise to about everyone! Good to see what the package will be capable of in the right hands.
Old 19 Jul 2017, 13:05 (Ref:3752786)   #2736
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
It was a surprise to about everyone! Good to see what the package will be capable of in the right hands.
I don't want to be so rude as to say that SpeedSource sucked rhino testes after Rolex dropped the Mazda RX8s .... I don't want to say they couldn't set up a prototype, or even pull off a Prototype pit stop .... or that they wasted the talent of a bunch of very quick and talented drivers .... or voice any of the other negative but accurate observations I could make.

I think the contrast between Mazda 2018 and Mazda 2015-2017 will say everything one would want to say.

The biggest potential stumbling block and the biggest source of interest, is definitely the lame AER power plant which has been failing in prototype classes in various series for half-a-dozen years at least.

I'd like to see Joest demand a V6.
Old 19 Jul 2017, 13:08 (Ref:3752788)   #2737
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
I don't want to be so rude as to say that SpeedSource sucked rhino testes after Rolex dropped the Mazda RX8s .... I don't want to say they couldn't set up a prototype, or even pull off a Prototype pit stop .... or that they wasted the talent of a bunch of very quick and talented drivers .... or voice any of the other negative but accurate observations I could make.

I think the contrast between Mazda 2018 and Mazda 2015-2017 will say everything one would want to say.

The biggest potential stumbling block and the biggest source of interest, is definitely the lame AER power plant which has been failing in prototype classes in various series for half-a-dozen years at least.

I'd like to see Joest demand a V6.
I'm interested to see if there is a weight issue, and if it can be solved. It was mentioned during le mans on a Dutch TV interview iirc, that the Riley was stated to be significantly overweight.
Old 19 Jul 2017, 14:51 (Ref:3752810)   #2738
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I'm interested to see if there is a weight issue, and if it can be solved. It was mentioned during le mans on a Dutch TV interview iirc, that the Riley was stated to be significantly overweight.
Lots of interesting angles here. No doubt Joest have done their homework before signing up so they must think they can get something out of this car.

Will it be a help to teams running non-DPi Rileys? Maybe not immediatley if they are locked into the homologation period, but come the mid-life update, it could be useful.
Old 19 Jul 2017, 16:37 (Ref:3752829)   #2739
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I had heard 60 kg overweight but I had thought if was the P2 ... didn't hear it was also the DPi. I figured Mazda would have taken care of that.

If not ... Joest is pretty good, we will see.
Old 19 Jul 2017, 17:29 (Ref:3752838)   #2740
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
I had heard 60 kg overweight but I had thought if was the P2 ... didn't hear it was also the DPi. I figured Mazda would have taken care of that.

If not ... Joest is pretty good, we will see.
You're right it was the P2 but I think the Mazda shares most mechanicals with that car, and I doubt the extra weight is in the body and motor.
Old 19 Jul 2017, 18:53 (Ref:3752856)   #2741
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Mazda wants to leave the 4 in line aside and opt for a v6, what are their options? The only one I found is the MZI, but it is basically a Ford Cyclone engine.

However, to develop an engine takes lot of time, so if they want to change it will take until 2019.
Old 19 Jul 2017, 18:54 (Ref:3752857)   #2742
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
AER already does a turbo V6 they can badge.
Old 19 Jul 2017, 19:25 (Ref:3752867)   #2743
kvenom
Veteran

kvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
If you are referring to the P60 which Rebellion and ByKolles ran, I distinctly remember that engine blew up or caught fire on multiple occasions. It would be a perfect fit for Speedsource, not so much for Joest.
Old 19 Jul 2017, 19:26 (Ref:3752868)   #2744
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
The one from LMP1? Is based on a stock block?
Old 19 Jul 2017, 19:35 (Ref:3752873)   #2745
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
It doesn't need to be a stock block.
Old 19 Jul 2017, 19:48 (Ref:3752878)   #2746
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mazda should bump the engine to 2.5L as that is their 'big' engine and their philosophy is to stay in the realm of their 'brand' (per se).

L.P.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 02:40 (Ref:3752945)   #2747
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Does Mazda offer a V6 on the street any more? Think the Mazda 6 and CX-9s both use the 2.5(?)L engines and is there anything bigger they sell? Might make their entire marketing plan useless if they have to admit defeat and drop a V6 in it.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 03:23 (Ref:3752953)   #2748
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Mazda stopped offering the Ford Cyclone V6 in the CX-9 in favor of a turbocharged 2.5 liter 4 cylinder as of 2015. I think that Mazda now offers only four cylinder engines in all their cars now.
Old 20 Jul 2017, 10:39 (Ref:3753037)   #2749
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Mazda's road cars are indeed all 4-cylinder now, but there is talk of a special edition MX-5 with a turbo V6. It's still on the drawing board at best however and is likely just a hopeful dream of people who want the extra weight of the metal-top version of the new MX-5 offset with MORE POWER.

(insert Tim Allen grunt here)
Old 20 Jul 2017, 11:03 (Ref:3753042)   #2750
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Turbo V6 MX-5 sounds absolutely bonkers. I like it.