Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 11 Feb 2007, 15:28 (Ref:1838684)   #1
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not good news for San Jose

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...a/16669627.htm
Old 11 Feb 2007, 15:56 (Ref:1838706)   #2
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://pod01.prospero.com/n/pfx/foru...g=kr-mercurytm

You got to love the commends of the article
Old 11 Feb 2007, 17:34 (Ref:1838769)   #3
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That's not great news, but it's not fatal news. The good news is that the 2007 subsidy is approved and the 2008 subsidy is only $600k. I'm not saying that cities should be expected to pay huge sums for races, but if a race is being developed which will benefit multiple parties (series, promotoer, city), it stands to reason that all should contribute to ensure that the event is viable.

"While the city poured $2.3 million into the 2006 Grand Prix for an impact on the local economy of $23.6 million -- more than 10 times the size of the city's subsidy -- the Tapestry Arts Festival generated $12.4 million in economic impact, nearly 400 times the value of the city grant it received."

San Jose is a wild city - they're obviously very passionate about their Tapestry Arts!

Last edited by Snrub; 11 Feb 2007 at 17:38.
Old 12 Feb 2007, 16:01 (Ref:1839474)   #4
racinthestreets
Racer

racinthestreets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is not that bad of news. POLITICAL Posturing. This is a good event and a good race. I believe that it will survive this posturing and will become a fixture. Personally, like most I prefer Laguna Seca. I spent hours exiting Laguna Seca during the 90's, finally settling on a rented motor home to tailgate after the race instead of sitting in the traffic jam. San Jose - walk back to the hotel and continue to party on!!! Although I really never needed to leave the hotel to watch the race either. That is what is so cool about the street races, waking up at 0730 to the sound of engines and watching the pits come to life for a day of practice, qualifying and racing over a weekend. Until the opener - I say again Viva Las Vegas.
Old 13 Feb 2007, 04:10 (Ref:1839955)   #5
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
The City of San Jose is on the verge of bankruptcy. As has been noted in other threads there is an ongoing investigation of these types of deals as OTHER deals (I emphasize this for a reason) have been found to be improper and has resulted in serious legal difficulties for former city staffers - including the former mayor.

Amazing. This race had been touted as a "great success" and now we find that it actually was no big deal. Wish the partisans could make up their minds here.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 13 Feb 2007, 10:22 (Ref:1840237)   #6
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
Amazing. This race had been touted as a "great success" and now we find that it actually was no big deal. Wish the partisans could make up their minds here.
If you want to do gp into all of that which seems so, the same is to be said for the St.Pete IRL race.
Old 13 Feb 2007, 10:42 (Ref:1840249)   #7
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
But we are talking about San Jose. Not St Pete's. When these issues were brought up about San Jose earlier there was some fair amount of outcry that I among others were being "negative."

That was not the case at all. It was simply learning what the situation was on the ground there and seeing the story through to it's conclusion.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 13 Feb 2007, 11:27 (Ref:1840288)   #8
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No doubt but an event that is building a 23 million dollar impact to the city is a successful venture. Obvioulsy not to the extreme efficiency of the Tapestry Arts festival , but the event still holds a subsidy which is a plus.

This money lost will need to be recouped through extra sponsorship, so its up to the organisers to get working.
Old 13 Feb 2007, 11:37 (Ref:1840297)   #9
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
The $23 million was economic impact - not money coming directly back to city coffers and certainly no indication that the $2 million in direct cash that was given to the "promoter" for "expenses" was coming back in the form of any sort of tax income.
Old 13 Feb 2007, 12:11 (Ref:1840320)   #10
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks I do understand the whats behind an economic impact. $23 million dollars being spent in San Jose area, involving local businesses is a definate positive for the city.

From that sense the event is a success.
Old 13 Feb 2007, 21:30 (Ref:1840739)   #11
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
No doubt but an event that is building a 23 million dollar impact to the city is a successful venture. Obvioulsy not to the extreme efficiency of the Tapestry Arts festival , but the event still holds a subsidy which is a plus.

This money lost will need to be recouped through extra sponsorship, so its up to the organisers to get working.
I daresay the economic impact to Surfers Paradise was not quite that rosy when it started in the early 90s - look at the event now!

However, economic problems that San Jose City have are stuff all to do with Champ Car.
Old 14 Feb 2007, 11:37 (Ref:1841151)   #12
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
I daresay the economic impact to Surfers Paradise was not quite that rosy when it started in the early 90s - look at the event now!
True, but Surfers' Paradise, unlike San Jose, actually has a good street circuit as their foundation which in my opinion is needed in order to build a successful street circuit event in the long run.

In some ways I almost think it's an insult to Surfers' Paradise to compare it to San Jose in any way.
Old 14 Feb 2007, 11:45 (Ref:1841159)   #13
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan
True, but Surfers' Paradise, unlike San Jose, actually has a good street circuit as their foundation which in my opinion is needed in order to build a successful street circuit event in the long run.
75% of those attending Surfers Paradise dont know what a good motor race is let alone understanding what a good street track involves.

So I dont think such a distinction you made between San Jose and Surfers is valid
Old 14 Feb 2007, 18:44 (Ref:1841517)   #14
mirwin
Racer

mirwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan

In some ways I almost think it's an insult to Surfers' Paradise to compare it to San Jose in any way.
I think the Surfers track is a pos. San Jose isn't great, but it provides good racing. We all have different views of what makes a good race track.
Old 14 Feb 2007, 20:27 (Ref:1841595)   #15
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think San Jose is one of the better street circuits. After all the loop holes that were filled after everyone was running around like headless chickens for the inaugural event it was much better organized last year and the fans once again turned out in their masses.
Plus the circuit was much better, and some great crazy racing.
What more can you ask for?
Oh I forgot, we now have to hear about how bad an event it is.
Old 15 Feb 2007, 03:03 (Ref:1841819)   #16
D.R.T.
Veteran

To be honest the show jumping at the 05 race was one of the more spectacular things to come out of open wheel racing over the last few years.
Old 17 Feb 2007, 00:35 (Ref:1843492)   #17
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
certainly was very exciting if not dangerous , but a great sight