Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 21 Apr 2010, 09:11 (Ref:2677182)   #101
LewsDad
Rookie

England
Thetford, Norfolk
LewsDad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
is it the same A40 in each photo getting ever more wild?
They were both as entertainingly lairy as each other, consistently in a four-wheel drift through Coram, locked-up into Russell and sideways on the way out. Surprised they both finished the right way up!

I suspect the drivers got in the cars desperate for a pee, but hey, whatever works, right?
Old 21 Apr 2010, 10:27 (Ref:2677215)   #102
LewsDad
Rookie

England
Thetford, Norfolk
Quote:
John definitely agree about the Iso - is it a GT or saloon? Which did they do in period.
Tricky question. I can't find any evidence to back up Wikipedia's claim that
Quote:
the car was homoligated [sic] not as a GT but as a Touring Car.
According to something else I just read and can no longer find, Iso denied Bizzarini his wish to take the IR 300 racing, and when he eventually changed his mind they went all-out and built the Grifo instead.

That leaves the 300 in the hands of privateers, and I can't find a single period reference anywhere to any of them. Does anyone know where they might have raced?
Old 21 Apr 2010, 10:29 (Ref:2677216)   #103
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=John Turner;2677159]Good question Simon; not sure really but more a saloon than a GT? No idea what they raced in, in period.

I always considered them as a GT but if you compare it to the Alfa in the adjacent shot it looks no less a saloon. Perhaps it was down to the numbers built in period that meant it had to be homologated as a Grand Tourer rather than a Touring car.
Old 21 Apr 2010, 11:26 (Ref:2677244)   #104
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The lines do get blurred and homologation doesn't always convey the visual impression of a car, or its seating capacity, does it? Saloon, Coupe, GT is the order of ascendancy for me. What's my M6 (anyone want to buy it by the way - PM me)? I see it as a Coupe. The 635CSi (but not sadly the M6 itself) was homolgated as a Touring car but is more of a coupe surely than the Rivolta, n'est pas? Coupes (the XJS was another)were always homologated as Touring cars which seems a fairly widely embracing term.
Old 21 Apr 2010, 12:15 (Ref:2677272)   #105
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
am I not right in thinking a 911 won the 67 touring cars championship?
Old 21 Apr 2010, 12:35 (Ref:2677285)   #106
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No, a Ford Falcon did ( Alan Mann Racing ) but Vic Elford and Terry Hunter raced 911s on occasion in the 1968 BSCC & ETCC. Same with the RX7 in the early 80s, more of a sports car than saloon.
Old 21 Apr 2010, 13:09 (Ref:2677302)   #107
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
am I not right in thinking a 911 won the 67 touring cars championship?
I think you are Simon. Wasn't it driven by Vic Elford? I certainly remember all the fuss about the 911 being accepted as a touring car and I believe that only lasted for a year?
Old 21 Apr 2010, 13:11 (Ref:2677303)   #108
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
I posted too quickly and without checking the facts. I'm sure that Andrew's quite correct.
Old 21 Apr 2010, 14:09 (Ref:2677331)   #109
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
well that blows open the urban myth of one 911 running round in Gent Drivers and Guards claiming to be the 67 ETCC winning car!! Seems the two opposing preppers were correct to collectively raise their eyebrows!!
Old 21 Apr 2010, 14:37 (Ref:2677348)   #110
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A couple of Porsches did run in the 1967 ETCC but I don't think they won the championship. The 1967 BTCC winning Falcon was driven by Frank Gardner.
As ever, Frank De Jong's site is the best place for the saloon history
http://homepage.mac.com/frank_de_jong

Last edited by Andrew Kitson; 21 Apr 2010 at 14:53.
Old 21 Apr 2010, 14:55 (Ref:2677354)   #111
Jeremy Hall
Racer

Jeremy Hall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Good question Simon; not sure really but more a saloon than a GT? No idea what they raced in, in period.

Peter, I'm no longer clear what constitutes a Gp1 car in Historics, or maybe I've just forgotten, but I think that maybe Tom Pochciol's Capri is one and maybe Pete Hallford's Z28?
Its a GT after 1966 -eventually homologated in Group 3 on no 587 in order to get an entry at Le Mans.It failed to start. IIRC they raced in 64 as GTP at Sebring, Nurburgring, Le Mans Reims and Montlhery and allegedly one took part in a German rally as a TC in 1965.
Iso/Bizzarini were not very interested in homologation so the Grifo(pre 66) /3500 GT (post 66)was never homologated and ran as a GTP both in Period F and G
Old 21 Apr 2010, 15:12 (Ref:2677360)   #112
simon drabble
Veteran

so in short he is good for Cloth Cap as well as Top Hat - maybe there should be a Trilby class for 911's and Iso's!!
Old 21 Apr 2010, 16:30 (Ref:2677393)   #113
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
maybe there should be a Trilby class for ......!!
Isn't that the one for Volvos?
Old 21 Apr 2010, 17:46 (Ref:2677427)   #114
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
A quick question. Were there any Group 1 cars out in the 70s?

Of 14 starters, 8 entered as Gp2, Alfa GTA rep as Invitation (on slicks), 911ST unclassified (!), Camaro, Capri and 2002 as TCA & TCB and Simon's Turner as C1.

Don't ask me what they all mean. (Except Gp2 and Invitation- can just about work them out )
Old 21 Apr 2010, 19:09 (Ref:2677480)   #115
one-two
Racer

one-two should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Simon, am I right in thinking that a 911 won the Guards Trophy in 2008 and 2009?
Old 21 Apr 2010, 19:12 (Ref:2677481)   #116
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A little OT,but,for those who use a bit too much kerk.I think the kerbing at Russell should be as used at the S's.The photo shows what happens when someone try's to take a little too much.[When I can get it to upload!!!!!]

In the meantime,heres a picture of 'Minty',rejected by mum at birth,so is now bottle fed. LoL.

Last edited by terence; 2 Jul 2012 at 12:26.
Old 21 Apr 2010, 19:19 (Ref:2677484)   #117
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Old 21 Apr 2010, 19:24 (Ref:2677485)   #118
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by one-two View Post
Simon, am I right in thinking that a 911 won the Guards Trophy in 2008 and 2009?
Robert Barrie.
Old 21 Apr 2010, 20:11 (Ref:2677514)   #119
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
A little OT,but,for those who use a bit too much kerk.I think the kerbing at Russell should be as used at the S's.The photo shows what happens when someone try's to take a little too much.[When I can get it to upload!!!!!]

In the meantime,heres a picture of 'Minty',rejected by mum at birth,so is now bottle fed. LoL.
Been off line for a while but is Terry ok.!!!!!
Old 21 Apr 2010, 20:30 (Ref:2677521)   #120
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Isn't that the one for Volvos?
I thought it was a kind of dubbelmossa trophy for volvos?

the trilby cup is For jacked up mk1 capris, MK3 Cortinas and any other essex registered 'mowta' with stilleto heel tear holes in the roof lining.

Morninggents will confirm the flatcap'n'whippet award for hard graft n 25 hour days in due course
Old 21 Apr 2010, 20:30 (Ref:2677522)   #121
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Been off line for a while but is Terry ok.!!!!!
I would guess hungry.
Old 21 Apr 2010, 20:43 (Ref:2677531)   #122
Alex E
Racer

Alex E should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
911 `touring car`

Seem to remember that 911`s were thrown out of the ETCC in 1969-70 for lack of rear passenger head room. It only took them 5 years to notice.....
Alex
Old 21 Apr 2010, 20:56 (Ref:2677543)   #123
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
was said headroom not originally achieved by covering a padless seat base of the lowest bespoke variety, probbly a product of the same rumour mill which conceived modern homologated engine specs
Old 21 Apr 2010, 21:30 (Ref:2677566)   #124
LewsDad
Rookie

England
Thetford, Norfolk
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
A little OT,but...
The original topic, or the current one..?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
the trilby cup is For jacked up mk1 capris, MK3 Cortinas and any other essex registered 'mowta' with stilleto heel tear holes in the roof lining.
I'm drafting the regs as we speak!

<scribbling> stiletto... holes... mandatory...

Old 21 Apr 2010, 22:55 (Ref:2677592)   #125
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
I thought it was a kind of dubbelmossa trophy for volvos?

Morninggents will confirm the flatcap'n'whippet award for hard graft n 25 hour days in due course
Aye lad.

By t'way - 'ow do'st tha get stilleto heels caught in t' roof lining?