Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 17 Jan 2004, 21:35 (Ref:841863)   #1
Edmonton
Racer

Edmonton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Factory Racing

We all want factory cars racing in the ALMS and Lemans,but do they really need to be factory entered. What I mean is during sportscar racing brightest days -the competition class days of the early 70s with the 917 and 512-were all private teams and had some of the best racing the world has ever seen-this seems like it would be the perfect combination-factory cars run by private teams.
Old 17 Jan 2004, 22:27 (Ref:841897)   #2
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
isn't most of GT this way with the porsche's? and Ferrari?
Old 18 Jan 2004, 00:08 (Ref:841967)   #3
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
The 917's and Ferraris were in fact mostly factory and factory backed teams.
Old 18 Jan 2004, 07:25 (Ref:842105)   #4
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Re: Factory Racing

Quote:
Originally posted by Edmonton
this seems like it would be the perfect combination-factory cars run by private teams.
Actually, that's my opinion too because the races are more openen (I won't quote the same period : the private Porsches of the 80' were a good exemple).

If you check, there's really few privateers that won Le Mans : 79 (private Porsche), Rondeau (with his own car), Joest with different Porsches (barely a 'privateer', but officialy one each time), and the difficult early 90' races...

I appreciate to see factories, if there's more than one on the track - and Audi/Bentley are counting for one to me

If not, the victory is promised to the sole factory running...
Old 19 Jan 2004, 23:52 (Ref:843352)   #5
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Re: Re: Factory Racing

Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
If not, the victory is promised to the sole factory running...
Tell that to the drivers of the Joest 956...
Old 20 Jan 2004, 00:23 (Ref:843400)   #6
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree with you Edmonton. The Ferrari 333SP is a great example of a factory developed car that was raced by privateers. The R8 is now raced by privateers just as the 956's and 962's were. Le Mans looks good this year with lots of privateers. If only we could have some privateer Bentley's!
Old 20 Jan 2004, 06:25 (Ref:843589)   #7
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Re: Re: Re: Factory Racing

Quote:
Originally posted by BSchneiderFan
Tell that to the drivers of the Joest 956...
True, I bow - Other exemples ?

Last edited by Fab; 20 Jan 2004 at 06:26.
Old 20 Jan 2004, 09:33 (Ref:843710)   #8
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ecurie Ecosse D-Types?

Ideally, I'd like to see works entered cars from the likes of Ferrari and Porsche with some top privateers thrown in as well, The only problems with that tend to be:
1.COST - A committed manufacturer usually can pump money in to leave the privateers little chance.
2. Partly as a result of number 1 and paertly as a result of how important the manufacturers think F1 is, they pull out and leave us with a series which needs to be rebuilt by privateers.

As a result, I wouldn't midn seeing privateers running these cars, but I suspect that it would only be a matter of time before a manufacturer who had bothered to develop a car was tempted into running as works team, especially if its privateers weren't doing the business.
Old 20 Jan 2004, 10:17 (Ref:843761)   #9
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by krt917
Ecurie Ecosse D-Types?
True too, I think.

That doesn't make a lot on 70 races...

Notice that I'd prefer to be wrong on that !
Old 20 Jan 2004, 10:35 (Ref:843785)   #10
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Well, the Joest Porsche which won in 1996 and 1997 was a privately entered car. Likewise, Joest won twice in the 80s privately. You could make an argument for the Dauer Porsche (sorry Ayse!) and the McLaren being private too, but they didn't really beat factory opposition.

The JWA GT40 of 1969?
Old 22 Jan 2004, 10:37 (Ref:846617)   #11
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
N.A.R.T. Rindt/Gregory win in 1965?

Seriously though Fab, I take your point.