Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 24 Oct 2004, 00:37 (Ref:1133276)   #1
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tyre barriers.

Am i the only one that thinks that the 'tyres' that they put in the chicanes are dangerous and somebody will be killed or seriously injured one day.
Tim Monte in an Aussie Racing Car hit one yesterday and that accident could have been a lot worse. If a car hits one and launches itself it could end up going head on into the wall or even worse over the wall given the right circumstances. A car would only have to launch itself onto the bonnet or another car maybe and then we have a disaster.
Old 24 Oct 2004, 00:43 (Ref:1133281)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Where there is a tyre block at a chicane to stop cars going over the kerbs... put a wall...

Otherwise, the very situation you describe will keep happening. Tim Monte's Aussie Racer is the main pic in the story about the Indy race event this weekend... not Marcos winning, not Tracy/Bourdais getting the front row.. but this racer in a non-headline category slamming into a rubber wall and ruining itself.

Not good...

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 24 Oct 2004, 00:54 (Ref:1133288)   #3
V8madman_07
Rookie

V8madman_07 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They can be very dangerous at times
Old 24 Oct 2004, 01:30 (Ref:1133305)   #4
Ozfords
Racer

Australia
Blue Mountains
Ozfords should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They were so dangerous at Adelaide they changed a corner. We'll all remember Brad Jones in 2000.
Old 24 Oct 2004, 01:51 (Ref:1133316)   #5
pete55
Veteran

I wonder if this has been bought up by the drivers safety committee. Maybe they are alright for the V8's and they are not concerned about it but what about the other categories.
Old 24 Oct 2004, 02:38 (Ref:1133323)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I liked the witches hats... getting run over, and pulling off the bolts, which remain firmly screwed into the kerb... meanwhile it generates 2 dangers... the hat itself, which gets run over by a car, and can damage a spoiler/radiator/brake duct (or pulled underneath like Marcos' car... anyone besides me notice it was dribbling coolant in pitlane after the race.. obviously damaged some fluid line or other..) or a car can run over the bolts and blow a tyre.....

None of these options should be considered acceptable at all! This is 2004 after all...
Old 24 Oct 2004, 02:57 (Ref:1133329)   #7
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
I liked the witches hats... getting run over, and pulling off the bolts, which remain firmly screwed into the kerb... meanwhile it generates 2 dangers... the hat itself, which gets run over by a car, and can damage a spoiler/radiator/brake duct (or pulled underneath like Marcos' car... anyone besides me notice it was dribbling coolant in pitlane after the race.. obviously damaged some fluid line or other..) or a car can run over the bolts and blow a tyre.....

None of these options should be considered acceptable at all! This is 2004 after all...
Yeah I saw that leak under the pasenger door so if it was radiator fluid it travelled a way to get there.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 24 Oct 2004, 02:59 (Ref:1133332)   #8
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
.........and on the witches hat I have used those terriers (generic name) myself and they just never come out *ever*. To use them anywhere where a race car can go is criminal.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 24 Oct 2004, 04:59 (Ref:1133373)   #9
pete55
Veteran

I'd like to see a story done on this either by RPM or in MN or AA. Interview the drivers (not only V8 Supercars either)and see what they think of them. It would make interesting viewing or reading.
Old 24 Oct 2004, 05:47 (Ref:1133386)   #10
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BArdley was over before he went anywhere near the tyres, they didnt help though.

I would guess that the overflow from the radiator might be what you saw from the Falcon, the cars would have been HOT HOT HOT by the end of the race and a slow down lap may induce a little heart soak.
Old 24 Oct 2004, 05:57 (Ref:1133391)   #11
pete55
Veteran

If it was Paul Morris's car it would be the air conditioner.
Old 24 Oct 2004, 06:01 (Ref:1133395)   #12
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by pete55
Old 24 Oct 2004, 07:52 (Ref:1133482)   #13
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why don't they fill the chicane's anymore? Nowadays if someone straightline's a chicane nothing is even mentioned about it.

Originally they had sand traps inside the chicane's, then in 1998 these became grass, before just leaving tarmac in 2000 or so.
Old 24 Oct 2004, 08:20 (Ref:1133516)   #14
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Why do they have chicanes????

They present the opportunity to:
1. Cause an argument (straight lining)
2. Cause an accident by driver (refer R.Kelly) or barrier
3. Cause damage (tyres, cones, bolts)

They do not present the opportunity to:
1. Pass
2. Have good motor racing

Get rid of em, I say
Old 24 Oct 2004, 08:34 (Ref:1133535)   #15
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
I dont think "Daisy" has the air conditioner fitted
Old 24 Oct 2004, 09:40 (Ref:1133615)   #16
formerly
Rookie

formerly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ged rid of the chicanes?? tell me how fast a champ car would get to down the straight if it didnt have to slow for the chicanes before the next corner?? On a track with no run off...... cant see em going anywhere personally
Old 24 Oct 2004, 09:44 (Ref:1133618)   #17
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
how far did that cvar go today and how quick and that includes it includes two chicanes at the moment
Old 26 Oct 2004, 04:49 (Ref:1135953)   #18
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by deeks6
Why do they have chicanes????

They present the opportunity to:
1. Cause an argument (straight lining)
2. Cause an accident by driver (refer R.Kelly) or barrier
3. Cause damage (tyres, cones, bolts)

They do not present the opportunity to:
1. Pass
2. Have good motor racing

Get rid of em, I say
Have a look at the track map and consider where the chicanes are. If they were removed, the track would be much, much faster and too dangerous.
Old 26 Oct 2004, 04:52 (Ref:1135955)   #19
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If a car is going to bounce off anything and leap into the crowd, it's one of those Noddy cars. My suggestion, don't let them run at event like this.
Old 26 Oct 2004, 05:26 (Ref:1135977)   #20
pete55
Veteran

What's to stop a Champ Car from flying faster and further.
Old 26 Oct 2004, 08:02 (Ref:1136104)   #21
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Quote:
What's to stop a Champ Car from flying faster and further.
The inherent stability of having length and width far in excess of height, and double the weight and the low centre of gravity and the wings. This is of course slightly offset by the far greater momentum.
Old 26 Oct 2004, 08:21 (Ref:1136129)   #22
pete55
Veteran

That doesn't mean that they won't fly when the get airborn over a tyre barrier though.
Old 27 Oct 2004, 00:47 (Ref:1137225)   #23
Speed Kills
Rookie

Speed Kills should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If one of the Champ Cars got airbourne, flipped upside down, the downforce would become lift and it would 'fly' and land in the ocean, even making it over the giant snadtrap just the other side of the fence. Maybe then we will need lifejackets on board.
Old 27 Oct 2004, 02:19 (Ref:1137252)   #24
Lowndesfan6
Racer

Lowndesfan6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
Where there is a tyre block at a chicane to stop cars going over the kerbs... put a wall...

Not good...

Are you talking about putting a concrete wall in place. If so, what the hell are you on........

If I was doing 250kph and had a break failure, I'd rather hit a tyre bundle then a wall....wouldn't you.

Yes, something needs to be done, but care needs to be taken to ensure that the racing track is safe for the odd mistake that ALL DRIVERS MAKE.

The witches hat idea is ideal, they just need to look at the way they attach them to the road surface as not to disadvantage innocent drivers who avoid mistakes by other drivers, run over them and get a flat..or worse.
Old 27 Oct 2004, 02:51 (Ref:1137263)   #25
DKGandBH
Veteran

DKGandBH has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The tyres are there to make the drivers go aroung the corners, not through them.

Something needs to be there.
It needs to be softish so that when it does get hit, the cars don't get seriously damaged.
There also needs to be a straight line option for when people are going to miss the corner for some reason.

These, to me, seem to be the best option.

David.