Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 24 Jan 2007, 20:49 (Ref:1825080)   #1
jv#12
Rookie

jv#12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ford ends its relationship

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/N...e.asp?ID=11216

"Today's decision was made from a business standpoint on both sides and in no way should tarnish the long legacy of success that the Ford Motor Company has established in Champ Car competition. We thank Ford for what it has done for the series, but we are continuing building a bright future for the series and are exploring a number of other options for a manufacturer partner."

Champ Car President Steve Johnson
Old 24 Jan 2007, 20:50 (Ref:1825082)   #2
Bluewolf
Racer

United States
Woodland Hills California
Bluewolf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
All I can say is --------> Yikes!!!
Old 24 Jan 2007, 20:53 (Ref:1825088)   #3
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
So, none of the cars have engines now, woo.
Old 24 Jan 2007, 20:56 (Ref:1825094)   #4
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Longer story......

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/34990/
Old 24 Jan 2007, 21:00 (Ref:1825096)   #5
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Champ Car is thought to be talking with Hyundai, Cadillac and Mazda about replacing Ford.
Hmm.... Does this mean as title sponser or the supply of engines? I think its the former yes?
Old 24 Jan 2007, 21:11 (Ref:1825115)   #6
Kieran20
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Kieran20 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
does this mean no engines for 2007 now?

or are ford just out as title sponser?
Old 24 Jan 2007, 21:35 (Ref:1825159)   #7
baclightning
Racer

United States
Kirkland, WA, USA
baclightning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what I understand, this doesn't affect the Cosworth engines. It just means Ford is out as a sponsor.
Old 24 Jan 2007, 21:36 (Ref:1825161)   #8
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seing as how the engines are Cosworths which were simply badged as Fords, I think they're will be engines. Furthermore Cosworth is owned by KK and GF.
Old 24 Jan 2007, 22:17 (Ref:1825206)   #9
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Man that really stinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Miller from above Speed TV article
Champ Car is thought to be talking with Hyundai, Cadillac and Mazda about replacing Ford.
I've always said that Hyundai sponsorship in Champ Car makes a LOT of sense. It would give them good bang for the buck without them having to do anything from a development standpoint and they currently have no (or next to none) motorsports involvement. And with the public's inaccurate perception of their products, they need it more than anyone else. Mazda is Ford at an arms length and they already have a lot of motorsports activity, a lot of it redundant. I'd be surprised if they did something with Cadilac, they seem to spend a lot of money in endurance racing.

Dropping the pace car relationship seems stupid. Any involvement they could have kept with Ford would be a good thing. Ford had a lot of other advertising/marketing impacts that CC is sorely lacking in. It will look bad when the only visable sponsors in any capacity are Bridgestone, McDs and CDW. Does that make a potential sponsor think "ooh there's a marketing venue that MUST work?"

I'm not trying to be negative, but let's be realistic, what has occured between 2003 and 2007 that could be viewed as overall positive? There's been some gains (eg. Edmonton), but there have been a lot of losses (eg. decline in Mexico). Overall there doesn't appear to be more sponsorship of events or cars and not a whole lot of stability beyond the fact that two wealthy guys are paying for everything.

Last edited by Snrub; 24 Jan 2007 at 22:20.
Old 24 Jan 2007, 22:37 (Ref:1825233)   #10
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The engines are fine. They're just Cosworths now instead of Fords per KK and GF's ownership.

But it's not clear yet what all is lost except for its associate title sponsorship. If it was TV advertising, it could be millions. The pace car program is obviously gone from the Miller story. I imagine CC doesn't keep the safety trucks any more.

Bridgestone is SELLING tires and said they'd do a few TV ads. But both sponsors in the title sponsorship are gone. And what CC does is proudly announce a new logo. Sheesh.
Old 24 Jan 2007, 23:11 (Ref:1825263)   #11
Peno
Racer

Peno should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

It's very sad that neither CCWS or the IRL have any American manufacturers.
Old 25 Jan 2007, 00:50 (Ref:1825314)   #12
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah i heard this today and RETARDED move on Ford and what does Champcar think it is better than ford?? They both need each other enough that this is a dumb idea- and Hyundai- If they do it is is a laugh I have never known a bigger bunch of penny pinching embezelling tightwadded discriminating ninnies who now how to do anything wrong
Hyundai's internal philosophy on EVERything is an assualt on common sense- especially in the US, while designs and stuff are improving Champcar does not need this black cloud.
Mazda however can step up and be THE sports arm in the US if not Northamerica and the world if it wants, so what Ford owns a controlling stake- it doesn't work with Ford's goals but Mazda is a clear fit- they almost dominate grassroots all the way through Formula Mazda and F Atlantics, and some LMP2 work, some Grand sport RX-8s lots of clubbie racers, so go big and be the rival openwheel King to INDY and possibly the world- If KK, and Co. do it right...oh man this is so ugly
Old 25 Jan 2007, 00:57 (Ref:1825319)   #13
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
at least we wont have any more Ford Bold Moves 'moments' and 'info-mercials' on North American TV...although the change to a different network may have had an impact on this.

Last edited by andy_b; 25 Jan 2007 at 00:59.
Old 25 Jan 2007, 03:28 (Ref:1825356)   #14
jv#12
Rookie

jv#12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_b
at least we wont have any more Ford Bold Moves 'moments' and 'info-mercials' on North American TV...although the change to a different network may have had an impact on this.
i hated those
Aren't Toyota and Ford supposedly in talks to merge? Could this be another reason for the pull-out? Is there a lot of bad blood between Champcar and Toyota?
Old 25 Jan 2007, 03:56 (Ref:1825361)   #15
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've not heard anything about Toyota and Ford in merger talks. Frankly it wouldn't make a lot of sense. Toyota has its own agenda and I can't fathom how Ford could fit into it.

I don't know what is being refered to regarding Hyundai's philosophy. Apparently they are the only manufacturer that Toyota fears. Toyota's CEO has flat out admitted that they could build a car of equivilant quality as a Hyundai for the cost they build it for! Look at the improvement in their cars in just a few years. They are doing something right. Ford was making some great strides forward with vehicles like the Fusion and Edge, but the "new" North American Focus for 2008 is horrible.

I wonder what CC engine branding would cost? I imagine if it's not a presenting sponsorship or something like that it might be fairly affordable. It might be worth a couple million to Mazda to extend their above mentioned participation in motorsports. They do like to brag that in any given weekend more Mazdas are racing than any other make in North America (I think they specify road racing). Adding 18-20 Champ Cars would help with that number.
Old 25 Jan 2007, 04:55 (Ref:1825373)   #16
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Toyota and Ford merge, I will eat my hat...I think we will see more technology partnerships between the companies but that is about all...

As for the engine partner, I think Hyundai is the choice. They still haven't a real presence in motor sport since their exit from the WRC and need something...and it would be a good time to get on the CCWS bandwagon...if it succeeds, it will go some way to change their reputation and if it fails, well then they can say we tried but it was CCWS's fault...

As for Mazda - upping their LMP2 commitment and wanting to beat Acura is and Porsche I think is more important, but the existing relationship with KK and co could push them into an agreement...plus their decision to make a closer deal with AER rather than take the Cossie into the ALMS could mean something here too...

Caddie - I wouldn't say they have put a lot of money into enduro (and even if they did they would still be also rans...see a few years back in ALMS) but I just don't see it happening...

And Ford...well they really don't have money do they??? Bit like FIAT, a lot of history, a few special projects, and a lot of debt...and should wipe out anything they don't need, which unfornuately appears to be CCWS...

of course I have nothing to back up my comments other than rumour and hearsay...
Old 25 Jan 2007, 05:28 (Ref:1825377)   #17
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My Hyundai philosophy stab is due to doing some contract work at the North American HQ in california. Many remeber I was at TRD and at the close of IRL participation well... I hung around doing accessories and what have you, but I moved on... anyway Hyundai is hardly feared by toyota or anyone, the laugh is they have press statements to contradict the inside talk around the offices, the only car Toyota does not cross evaluate to theirs are Hyundai's...(the Japan staff- have laughed them off- saying something to the effect they are kids who got technology and don't understand it but are slapping it together like the big boys... and building engines and cars when they should be learning about engines cars and history first not simply stealing engineers from other places) so now at Hyundai and other places (sshh don't tell i'll be fired from both) Hyundai really has loads of warranty problems and they are running at 60%loss per vehicle- they keep going forward with Kia and are doing some nice product but no japanese manufactuer is really looking over there shoulder. GM and Ford would have a rebirth and have better stuff to offer now and in the future I feel than the 2nd class citizen in a tuxedo which is Hyundai- really they are that sucky
and for the "Hy" (as opposed to big H-Honda or Holden) they would embarrass champcar's history and future legacy if they got on board and promoted more of there stuff here- I really don't think it is that good of an idea- it s money but not very good of a source. Hyundai does shave great PR though.
I would rather have Suzuki come in and make an offering
or MercedesBenz again in Champcars or A full field of Jaguars... or
I do feel the image and the reputation and history can offer whole lot.
Now if Hyundai came in as an Atlantic Sponsor, or branded those engines fine they are building their history great place... but I don't think they have the gumption and dignity to be on Champcars--
off topic should champ cars have a dirt race like they used to? so long ago heh heh....
Old 25 Jan 2007, 08:22 (Ref:1825430)   #18
mabs_nsx
Veteran

Australia
Where Rally Aus belongs - Perth, WA
mabs_nsx is a back marker
Cadilac, Hyundai, Mazda. Boring, boring, boring.

How about some more exiting manufactures like Honda, Toyota and Chevy. Will there be more than one new manufacture?
Old 25 Jan 2007, 09:11 (Ref:1825448)   #19
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabs_nsx
Cadilac, Hyundai, Mazda. Boring, boring, boring.

How about some more exiting manufactures like Honda, Toyota and Chevy. Will there be more than one new manufacture?
I thought Honda, Toyota and Chevy had already "exited" from Champ car.
Old 25 Jan 2007, 10:18 (Ref:1825501)   #20
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gttouring
... (the Japan staff- have laughed them off- saying something to the effect they are kids who got technology and don't understand it but are slapping it together like the big boys... and building engines and cars when they should be learning about engines cars and history first not simply stealing engineers from other places) ...
Toyota could take their own advice when looking at their F1 programme then...
Old 25 Jan 2007, 10:59 (Ref:1825538)   #21
mabs_nsx
Veteran

Australia
Where Rally Aus belongs - Perth, WA
mabs_nsx is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez
I thought Honda, Toyota and Chevy had already "exited" from Champ car.
oops. I meant exciting.
Old 25 Jan 2007, 14:43 (Ref:1825717)   #22
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't really see the point of a single manufacturer branding the engines. Did anyone out there buy an F150 because of the logos on the cowlings of the Lolas?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 25 Jan 2007, 15:16 (Ref:1825741)   #23
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From Autosport: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/56456

Quote:
Champ Car president Steve Johnson thanked Ford for its involvement in the series and emphasized the announcement will not impact the series' future stability.

Johnson said: "We thank Ford for what it has done for the series, but we are continuing building a bright future for the series and are exploring a number of other options for a manufacturer partner."

Ford's announcement comes a day before the second largest US car maker is expected to report a record loss for 2006, estimated by analysts to be around $15 billion (USD) on a combined basis.
Old 25 Jan 2007, 15:40 (Ref:1825754)   #24
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Regardless of formally thankful declarations, what does that imply for CC?
Old 25 Jan 2007, 16:01 (Ref:1825763)   #25
racinthestreets
Racer

racinthestreets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ford is in serious trouble. They have leveraged everything they own - land, buildings, machinery, patents, etc.. to secure $28 billion in funding to reorganize and buy out employees. I doubt they were going to bring much to the table and were looking for a cheap advertisement. Because of their past support - there will be no hard feelings, although I think OWRS might have not expected this to happen this soon. From CNN this am:

Quote:
NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Ford Motor Co. reported the largest annual loss in company history Thursday, as the embattled automaker posted a fourth-quarter loss that was much worse than analysts' expectations.

Ford posted a fourth quarter loss from continuing operations of $2.8 billion, or $1.50 a share, excluding special items. That compares with a loss of $1.9 billion, or $1 a share on that basis a year earlier.