Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 29 May 2011, 22:27 (Ref:2887831)   #2851
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A low drag, open car and flexible turbo motor could be distinct advantages over cars that were designed for the previous P1 era.

Pretty much all the cars on the grid look the part, conforming to a now familiar design philosophy, but different is sometimes good.
Old 29 May 2011, 23:07 (Ref:2887855)   #2852
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
They already had the best petrol car, three years on the bounce, so much so Pescarolo was classifying them as yet another class seperate to petrol teams.
Yes, because they had a proven car (Lola) with a proven engine... now they had to start from scratch which is obviously too big of a task for them under the budget they´re operating.

Face it, this car will go nowhere. The design is just too flawed, both in terms of aerdynamics and engine layout... and don't take my word for it but listen to all the expert who agree.
Old 30 May 2011, 00:39 (Ref:2887878)   #2853
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If I knew what was so flawed I may agree, internet speculation doesn't count, the track record of Prodrive does.
Old 30 May 2011, 00:47 (Ref:2887880)   #2854
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If I knew what was so flawed I may agree, internet speculation doesn't count, the track record of Prodrive does.
Ulrich Baretzky isn't some keyboard jockey dummy. I'm sure he is confident in his criticism if he was willing to say what he said publicly.
Old 30 May 2011, 05:48 (Ref:2887946)   #2855
cdsvg
Racer

Australia
cdsvg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
This is just my opinion and I could be WAY off, but I think AMR's strategy was to build a car that simply is the best petrol car (low hanging fruit aside from the HPD) and then complain and whine that the balancing was off and hope that the ACO would give them huge breaks to make them competitive with Audi and Peugeot.
Interestingly, I remember an interview with George Howard Chapell on RLM a couple of years ago concerning the Vantage GT2 program, and essentially he admitted that this is exactly what they had done with that car - develop it on the cheap, and get up to speed through lobbying and performance balancing. I get the impression that this is AMR's way of going racing, and I'm not quite sure I like it...
Old 30 May 2011, 07:32 (Ref:2887968)   #2856
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
In other news, the Kronos Lola-Aston's livery for Le Mans... http://www.endurance-info.com/versio...LolaKronos.jpg
Old 30 May 2011, 07:36 (Ref:2887971)   #2857
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
In other news, the Kronos Lola-Aston's livery for Le Mans... http://www.endurance-info.com/versio...LolaKronos.jpg
It's quite good looking!
But from i read, it's not completely done yet.
Old 30 May 2011, 09:38 (Ref:2888050)   #2858
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
It's quite good looking!
But from i read, it's not completely done yet.
Hope so, it could do with some nice coloured flashes around the side, would make it more interseting on photo!
Old 30 May 2011, 10:12 (Ref:2888065)   #2859
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Perhaps any forum member who happens to be driving down the M40 later this week could keep an eye open for an AMR transporter. Additionally anyone living on the east side of Banbury may be able to tell us something - or possibly even at Gaydon where they may do a shake-down prior to departure.

I, for one, will be pleased if they at least turn up at Le Mans. Proof of any progress will have to wait till Wednesday evening at LM
Old 30 May 2011, 10:34 (Ref:2888080)   #2860
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
It looks septic !!!
Old 30 May 2011, 11:26 (Ref:2888126)   #2861
acox93
Racer

United Kingdom
surrey
acox93 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Vieux View Post
Perhaps any forum member who happens to be driving down the M40 later this week could keep an eye open for an AMR transporter. Additionally anyone living on the east side of Banbury may be able to tell us something - or possibly even at Gaydon where they may do a shake-down prior to departure.

I, for one, will be pleased if they at least turn up at Le Mans. Proof of any progress will have to wait till Wednesday evening at LM
The trucks have already left!
Old 30 May 2011, 12:26 (Ref:2888151)   #2862
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by acox93 View Post
The trucks have already left!
In which case, it seems that the trucks are fitted with the same engines as the cars and will struggle to complete the distance to Le Mans.

It's a journey they should complete easily within 24 hours which begs the question : What are they doing between now and next weekend? Stopping off for more testing somewhere? Completing the build of the cars?

At least it's an indication that they intend to turn up at Le Mans.
Old 30 May 2011, 13:31 (Ref:2888183)   #2863
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
Ulrich Baretzky isn't some keyboard jockey dummy. I'm sure he is confident in his criticism if he was willing to say what he said publicly.
Baretzky knows as much about the engine as you or I, it's a straight-six turbo, working on a BMW motor thirty years ago has little relevance.

Engine choice is as much a marketing decision as engineering, Audi's big, heavy V12 TDI was a backwards step from the 3.6T V8 FSI, but favourable regs ensured Audi's marketing needs could be met.

Aston have the same needs, it's why any manufacturer competes, going the turbo route is also a sound choice, they have many performance and efficiency advantages over an atmo, and dominated Le Mans for the past thirty years.

Last edited by JAG; 30 May 2011 at 13:37.
Old 30 May 2011, 13:50 (Ref:2888189)   #2864
Samoan Attorney
Veteran

Samoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Baretzky knows as much about the engine as you or I, it's a straight-six turbo, working on a BMW motor thirty years ago has little relevance.
That is a staggering assertion. Dr. Ulrich Baretzky is Audi Sports' Head of Engine Technology. This is not an accident, it is because he is one of the best in the business.

As a person I found that he will say what he thinks and is able to back that up with facts and genuine achievements. While technology has improved over the years, the laws of physics remain constant.

It is correct that Audi's marketing needs and laws regarding future fuel efficiency from our masters at the EU are also factors but there is little point in having a marketing driven solution to a problem if that solution does not work in the real world.

Quite why AMR chose the straight six engine configuration will become clear with the passage of time but any rational examination of the evidence available is that they are going to struggle to be competitive at Le Mans in a few weeks. That will be a pity as having them being able to race head to head with Audi and Peugeot would add to the spectacle.
Old 30 May 2011, 15:11 (Ref:2888233)   #2865
Le Vieux
Veteran

I'm not a mechanical engineer, but was brought up to believe that a straight six was the perfectly balanced engine. Quotes from those high up in Audi seem to say the contrary, which leads me to believe that perhaps there's an attempt going on to sow a seed of doubt in Aston-Martin's minds.

Both Porsche and Jaguar managed to run successfully with six-cylinder engines, Jag's of course being an in-line six. Doubtless others more knowledgeable than I can add to that small list.

A quote from Wikipedia:
"An inline six engine is in perfect primary and secondary mechanical balance, without the use of a balance shaft. The engine is in primary balance because the front and rear trio of cylinders are mirror images, and the pistons move in pairs. That is, piston #1 balances #6, #2 balances #5, and #3 balances #4, largely eliminating the polar rocking motion that would otherwise result. Secondary imbalance is avoided because an inline six cylinder crankshaft has six crank throws arranged in three planes offset at 120°. The result is that differences in piston speed at any given point in rotation are effectively canceled."
Old 30 May 2011, 15:16 (Ref:2888235)   #2866
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
In which case, it seems that the trucks are fitted with the same engines as the cars and will struggle to complete the distance to Le Mans.

It's a journey they should complete easily within 24 hours which begs the question : What are they doing between now and next weekend? Stopping off for more testing somewhere? Completing the build of the cars?

At least it's an indication that they intend to turn up at Le Mans.
Meyrick just posted something on Twitter about final testing at Monza. So there's obviously some pre-LM preparation still happening.
Old 30 May 2011, 15:24 (Ref:2888237)   #2867
JAG
Veteran

England
Aston chose the straight-six turbo because future road cars will use such a configeration, presumably, including future GT cars.

All engines have their pros and cons, the Aston V12 was heavy with a high CG, while much of the petrol P1 field use high reving atmo V8's, engines it was claimed couldn't complete 24hrs before the RS Spyder and HPD proved otherwise.

This is restrictor racing, all configerations are meant to have an equal chance, none have benefited more from this stance than diesel's.
Old 30 May 2011, 15:53 (Ref:2888258)   #2868
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoan Attorney View Post
That is a staggering assertion. Dr. Ulrich Baretzky is Audi Sports' Head of Engine Technology. This is not an accident, it is because he is one of the best in the business.

As a person I found that he will say what he thinks and is able to back that up with facts and genuine achievements. While technology has improved over the years, the laws of physics remain constant.

It is correct that Audi's marketing needs and laws regarding future fuel efficiency from our masters at the EU are also factors but there is little point in having a marketing driven solution to a problem if that solution does not work in the real world.

Quite why AMR chose the straight six engine configuration will become clear with the passage of time but any rational examination of the evidence available is that they are going to struggle to be competitive at Le Mans in a few weeks. That will be a pity as having them being able to race head to head with Audi and Peugeot would add to the spectacle.
Agree. Marketing aside, Baretzky certainly ran through every engine permutation prior to deciding upon the V6 for R18. And in fact I'd say he knows quite a lot about the benefits and disadvantages of a turbo I6. Contrary to some opinion. To dismiss him so blatantly is to put the wool over one's eyes.

I haven't been so bold to suggest as much, but since I now see it out in the open, Aston's project DOES indeed screams of a car designed to a minimal budget with the hope that it will be performance balanced competitive. I certainly HOPE that's not the case, but I wouldn't put it past GHC. They did pull the trigger based on the ACO's reassurances regarding Article 19 of the regulations. Why were they so concerned about that? Because the choice of the I6 was so totally awesome?
Old 30 May 2011, 16:16 (Ref:2888270)   #2869
JAG
Veteran

England
His opinion isn't being dismissed, but writing off an engine based on it's configeration is clearly little more than mind games, especially so in restrictor racing, the very reason the diesel is competitive.

The P1 field now uses former P2 engines, the 3.4 V8's and 2.0T's were all considered too fragile before manufacturer's stepped in and made them work, likewise the challenges of a diesel motor were considered too great before they proved the doubters wrong.

No one goes racing without first playing politics, Audi worked the ACO to ensure diesel's were competitive, every GT car on the grid from BMW to Corvette have performance breaks, Aston are playing the same game everyone else is.
Old 30 May 2011, 17:03 (Ref:2888286)   #2870
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MulsanneMike View Post
I haven't been so bold to suggest as much, but since I now see it out in the open, Aston's project DOES indeed screams of a car designed to a minimal budget with the hope that it will be performance balanced competitive. I certainly HOPE that's not the case, but I wouldn't put it past GHC. They did pull the trigger based on the ACO's reassurances regarding Article 19 of the regulations. Why were they so concerned about that? Because the choice of the I6 was so totally awesome?
Mike, to put an alternative spin on that, is there any chance AMR could have realised from the start that there was no way a petrol engine was going to be competitive, and so opted to spend the minimum possible until a better performance balance is on offer- and meanwhile in the background someone at Prodrive is quietly beavering away designing a more advanced concept ready for that time?

What I really don't get is why, if they're working to a minimal budget, they've opted to go out on such a limb over the engine, by adopting a configuration no-one's used in a prototype for years?

Wouldn't something a bit more mainstream have been cheaper and still given them a bargaining chip over performance balancing?

OK, the straight-6 gives them the marketing link to their history and future road cars, but right now it looks like a high-risk option, done on the cheap which has really turned round and bitten them in the most embarrassing manner.
Old 31 May 2011, 10:16 (Ref:2888622)   #2871
alexkiller8
Veteran

alexkiller8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Aston chose the straight-six turbo because future road cars will use such a configeration, presumably, including future GT cars.

All engines have their pros and cons, the Aston V12 was heavy with a high CG, while much of the petrol P1 field use high reving atmo V8's, engines it was claimed couldn't complete 24hrs before the RS Spyder and HPD proved otherwise.

This is restrictor racing, all configerations are meant to have an equal chance, none have benefited more from this stance than diesel's.
my opinion is: AMR/prodrive thougth that as to develope an open sport car was cheaper than a coupè one, to develope a L6 engine with a turbo was much more simple and cheaper than develope a 3.4 V8 too. I don't believe in the "future road cars configuration" because a lmp1 engine hadn't and hasn't NOTHING to share with a road car engine, and aston martin produces only hand-made limited series luxury supercars... i don't think they will use that kind of engine in their future road car

The same reason was the use of the V12 from dbr9 in the lola aston. Why develope a new engine (and spend money) when you got already a powerfull one? (powerfull doesn't mean automaticly competitive)

I said a lot of times that AMR has made some mistakes

1. had to develope better the new car before the release, so the stupid/sad scenes at paul ricard and le mans test could be avoided

2. if aston martin hasn't any knowledge in making some kind of engines, then buy some judd V8, change something and call it AMR-judd (oreca since last year used AIM engines, that simply were modified judd V10).
Maybe is not the most competitive engine in the roster, but at the least you can use more than 300hp to make it run...

3. consequences of point 1, this year the 2 lola coupè could be used in the meanwhile that the new car had a better development.
Old 31 May 2011, 11:52 (Ref:2888679)   #2872
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Mr. Vieux? All I saw on my run down the M40, to Oxford, this morning were Merc GP transporters going home...
The last Prodrive vehicle I saw, was a van trundling up to their test track.
I'll keep an eye (and ear) open as I return home tonight...
Old 31 May 2011, 14:09 (Ref:2888780)   #2873
AstonGeoff
Veteran

England
Witney
AstonGeoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
Mr. Vieux? All I saw on my run down the M40, to Oxford, this morning were Merc GP transporters going home...
The last Prodrive vehicle I saw, was a van trundling up to their test track.
I'll keep an eye (and ear) open as I return home tonight...
Unless you head home via Monza I doubt you will see any AMR trucks, I've just seen a tweet confirming that they are at Monza for some final testing.
Old 31 May 2011, 16:48 (Ref:2888846)   #2874
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkiller8 View Post
my opinion is: AMR/prodrive thougth that as to develope an open sport car was cheaper than a coupè one, to develope a L6 engine with a turbo was much more simple and cheaper than develope a 3.4 V8 too. I don't believe in the "future road cars configuration" because a lmp1 engine hadn't and hasn't NOTHING to share with a road car engine, and aston martin produces only hand-made limited series luxury supercars... i don't think they will use that kind of engine in their future road car

The same reason was the use of the V12 from dbr9 in the lola aston. Why develope a new engine (and spend money) when you got already a powerfull one? (powerfull doesn't mean automaticly competitive)

I said a lot of times that AMR has made some mistakes

1. had to develope better the new car before the release, so the stupid/sad scenes at paul ricard and le mans test could be avoided

2. if aston martin hasn't any knowledge in making some kind of engines, then buy some judd V8, change something and call it AMR-judd (oreca since last year used AIM engines, that simply were modified judd V10).
Maybe is not the most competitive engine in the roster, but at the least you can use more than 300hp to make it run...

3. consequences of point 1, this year the 2 lola coupè could be used in the meanwhile that the new car had a better development.
If you believe some rumours there are already straight-six turbo road cars testing, this configeration has also been rumoured a number of times.

http://www.pistonheads.com/astonmart...?storyId=23237

AMR want to develop their engineering to produce carbon chassis and engines in-house, a handful of embarrassing outings is nothing compared to the future potential of the dpt., both for racing and road cars. Audi are prime examples of this with racing success and FSI and TDI developments.

Going for an off-the-shelf solution will give you a baseline performance, but to push ahead of the pack and have greater control you need to take things in-house.
Old 31 May 2011, 16:49 (Ref:2888847)   #2875
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Both Porsche and Jaguar managed to run successfully with six-cylinder engines, Jag's of course being an in-line six. Doubtless others more knowledgeable than I can add to that small list.

"
The 936 engine was a 2.1 turbo 6, well over 500bhp as well. Renault also did pretty well with a 2.1 turbo six.

So if it could be done over 30 years ago, maybe it can again. Audi can say what they like, the guy is a genius but he does not speak for Aston and wont be privy to all the inmost dealing of the hand grenade on wheels.

Good luck to them, and maybe the engine is not the only problem they face.