Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History > Historic Image Archive

Old 29 Oct 2008, 13:56 (Ref:2323520)   #26
Enrico Spaggiari
Rookie

Italy
Verona , Italy
Enrico Spaggiari should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From my informations, the SAAB n°43 should have been dark blue. Here it looks dark green. Which do you think is the correct paint?
And what about the n°44 car?
It looks painted in a sort of grey, but I have known it could have been of a light green (ligher than the UDT pale green).
Interesting the dark red wheels.
Again my compliments, cub...

P.S.: why not put this treasure into a book ??
Old 20 Dec 2008, 10:52 (Ref:2358757)   #27
Cub
Rookie

England
Denmead, Hampshire
Cub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

The Pits at Le Mans 1959
Old 11 Feb 2009, 22:00 (Ref:2395715)   #28
Bosse L
Rookie

Sweden
Sweden
Bosse L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Absolute great pictures Cub!
I really love it.
I have together with some friends restored a true replica of the Saab 93 #44 of Nottorp and Bengtsson, with very good help with technical data and facts from the original car builder, Rune Bertilsson, at the time manager of the competition workshop at the Saab factory.
The last year we race the car at Le Mans Classic, with some good results.

About the colurs of the two Saab in the 1858 Le Mans race, there have been lot of false facts about the rigth colours. #44 have been told to be ligth blue, ligth yellow for example. But the rigth colour is ligth grey. A Saab original colour named pearl grey GY1 at Saab colour chart.
The British entered dark green, have been told to be dark blue. It can also look so at the movie clips from 1959 promo film for aston Martin, when the Saab is displayet for some short moments. But as you can se the car is dark green, probably depending on a sponsorship from Esso, who at the time use this dark green colour at overalls, some gas-trailers and so on.
But again all this pictures is absolute fantastic! Hope there will come up some more of them?
Old 11 Feb 2009, 22:47 (Ref:2395727)   #29
Bosse L
Rookie

Sweden
Sweden
Sorry i wrote to fast. It should be 1959, not 1958 of cource!
Old 14 Feb 2009, 01:29 (Ref:2397223)   #30
D-Type
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coulsdon, Surrey
D-Type should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrico Spaggiari
From my informations, the SAAB n°43 should have been dark blue. Here it looks dark green. Which do you think is the correct paint?
And what about the n°44 car?
It looks painted in a sort of grey, but I have known it could have been of a light green (ligher than the UDT pale green).
Interesting the dark red wheels.
Again my compliments, cub...

P.S.: why not put this treasure into a book ??
See post 24 for the problem with colours from old photos.

I agree with you these photos would make a great book with comprehensive explanatory captions.

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.
Old 15 Feb 2009, 01:29 (Ref:2397660)   #31
Enrico Spaggiari
Rookie

Italy
Verona , Italy
Enrico Spaggiari should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse L
Absolute great pictures Cub!
I really love it.
I have together with some friends restored a true replica of the Saab 93 #44 of Nottorp and Bengtsson, with very good help with technical data and facts from the original car builder, Rune Bertilsson, at the time manager of the competition workshop at the Saab factory.
The last year we race the car at Le Mans Classic, with some good results.

About the colurs of the two Saab in the 1858 Le Mans race, there have been lot of false facts about the rigth colours. #44 have been told to be ligth blue, ligth yellow for example. But the rigth colour is ligth grey. A Saab original colour named pearl grey GY1 at Saab colour chart.
The British entered dark green, have been told to be dark blue. It can also look so at the movie clips from 1959 promo film for aston Martin, when the Saab is displayet for some short moments. But as you can se the car is dark green, probably depending on a sponsorship from Esso, who at the time use this dark green colour at overalls, some gas-trailers and so on.
But again all this pictures is absolute fantastic! Hope there will come up some more of them?
Thanks a lot Bosse.
I remember your Saab at Le Mans Classic... compliments!!!
Old 17 Feb 2009, 14:27 (Ref:2399052)   #32
Navyflier
Rookie

United Kingdom
Braintree, Essex
Navyflier should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saab Colour

Unless my memory is playing tricks I feel sure that the colour was a deep British Racing Green.
Old 18 Feb 2009, 03:32 (Ref:2399414)   #33
Bosse L
Rookie

Sweden
Sweden
Thanks Enrico!

Navyflier; Dark green or dark brg och #43?
As a Swede I do not want to compete in that question with an Englishman

From the Esso-related photos I have seen earlier, with the car beside varius Esso stuff as mechanichs in Esso overalls, trucks, etc I get the impression of the same colour as this. But that could be dark brg of course!
There was also a dark green colour in the Saab colour chart between 1959-1961. But however, I do not think it was this colour either.
So if Navyflier remember from that time the car as dark BRG, I dont want to set my penny against it!
Old 22 Feb 2009, 00:35 (Ref:2401605)   #34
D-Type
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coulsdon, Surrey
D-Type should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse L
Thanks Enrico!

Navyflier; Dark green or dark brg och #43?
As a Swede I do not want to compete in that question with an Englishman

From the Esso-related photos I have seen earlier, with the car beside varius Esso stuff as mechanichs in Esso overalls, trucks, etc I get the impression of the same colour as this. But that could be dark brg of course!
There was also a dark green colour in the Saab colour chart between 1959-1961. But however, I do not think it was this colour either.
So if Navyflier remember from that time the car as dark BRG, I dont want to set my penny against it!
Officially a British car can be any shade of green from UDT or BRP "British grazing green" to Cooper or BRM "Almost black". There is a shade on some colour charts variously called "Napier Green", "Connaught Green" or "British Racing Green" so I reckon dark BRG must mean a dark not too yellowy non-metallic green.

The odds are that it was the standard SAAB dark green with whatever fancy name the marketing boys(or girls) gave it. If you could buy it in dark green, why buy it in any other colour and repaint it? Unless of course, they bought the car secondhand and rebuilt it for racing.

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.
Old 28 Feb 2009, 12:12 (Ref:2406027)   #35
Bosse L
Rookie

Sweden
Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Type
The odds are that it was the standard SAAB dark green with whatever fancy name the marketing boys(or girls) gave it. If you could buy it in dark green, why buy it in any other colour and repaint it? Unless of course, they bought the car secondhand and rebuilt it for racing.
Ooops there was a lot of varius green colours to be racing green
But however. I think the Hurell/North Saab was repainted to some kind of dark green.
You can see it at the picture with the Saab #43 stay below the Esso petrol-cistern. The inner wheelarch is ligth-grey, probably the same colour as the Swedish entered car. Even if the base-filler also was grey at Saab in this period. the inner seelarches always originaly was painted in the body colour.
The British entered car was in technical specification more close to a standard Saab 93 GT 750, but have some small body modifications to improve the aerodynamics. The small side inlet holes at both side of the central intake in teh front bonnet was covered, and the lower frontpanel was more modified to reduce drag, comapred to the Swedish car.
In opposite way the Swedish car was more heavily modified with watercooled brakes, 4-speed protoype gearbox and so on. But the body was more or less standard, just stripped to be as ligth as possible.
Old 2 Mar 2009, 14:04 (Ref:2407383)   #36
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Bosse, I would just like to say THANK YOU, for running the Saab at LMC. It was certainly different, and distictive, and LOUD!!!
One I took from this year for you:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandfis...7606298090661/
Old 7 Mar 2009, 01:14 (Ref:2410726)   #37
Bosse L
Rookie

Sweden
Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
Bosse, I would just like to say THANK YOU, for running the Saab at LMC. It was certainly different, and distictive, and LOUD!!!
One I took from this year for you:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandfis...7606298090661/
Tanks for nice words and a good photoTim!
I hope we will be back there in 2010 LMC.

Know there is also one or two british project trying to build a true replica of the green 750GT of Hurell/North.
It would be greate if we can imagine the spirit of Cub,s fantastic picture with two Saab, one Swedish, one British at front of the pit wall.
(and make the ring-ding-ding-ding two-stroke noice in stereo...)
Old 4 Sep 2009, 17:25 (Ref:2534529)   #38
Cub
Rookie

England
Denmead, Hampshire
Cub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Old 4 Sep 2009, 19:45 (Ref:2534621)   #39
Cub
Rookie

England
Denmead, Hampshire