Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 18 Mar 2021, 12:29 (Ref:4041192)   #2701
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whilst it is a shame to see Neal bow out in such a low key fashion, his results haven't really been up to standard the last couple of seasons.

Amazing to think that Ford Sierra's were dominant the last time Neal didn't participate in at least part of a season.
Old 18 Mar 2021, 12:34 (Ref:4041194)   #2702
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
https://www.btcc.net/2021/03/18/dan-...team-dynamics/
Rowbo at Dynamics

Neal "I am going to be taking a year out of the sport this season".
Queue the Neal to return in 2022 rumours
Interesting sequence of events:

Aug 20 - Yuasa confirm they wish to extend their agreement with TD.
Sep 20 - Yuasa appoints Shedden as a Brand Ambassador (GS Batteries).
Mar 21 - Shedden joins TD.
Mar 21 - It is confirmed that Yuasa are pursuing interests away from TD.

On another query - does this confirm TD as challenging for the independents' title in 2021? Honda UK have dropped any reference to BTCC for 2021, and only recognise BSB as a discipline they compete in.
Old 18 Mar 2021, 12:38 (Ref:4041195)   #2703
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
If you like being not surprised, come back tomorrow morning when HARD are revealing their final driver.
This news - https://twitter.com/nicolashamilton?lang=en
Old 18 Mar 2021, 12:38 (Ref:4041196)   #2704
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
On another query - does this confirm TD as challenging for the independents' title in 2021?
Not at all. They had been made ineligible several seasons before Honda came onboard.
Old 18 Mar 2021, 12:41 (Ref:4041197)   #2705
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
On another query - does this confirm TD as challenging for the independents' title in 2021? Honda UK have dropped any reference to BTCC for 2021, and only recognise BSB as a discipline they compete in.
Does this answer your questions?
https://hondanews.eu/gb/en/motorspor...eleases/330655
Old 18 Mar 2021, 12:42 (Ref:4041198)   #2706
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
Not at all. They had been made ineligible several seasons before Honda came onboard.
Is that still the case though?
Not trying to be difficult, just wondering how their status in 2021 differs to Motorbase, HARD or Excelr8?

IIRC - they were deemed ineligible for independents in 2008 - came fourth in the independents' title in 2009 and then were Honda-backed form 2010?

Last edited by crmalcolm; 18 Mar 2021 at 12:47.
Old 18 Mar 2021, 12:47 (Ref:4041199)   #2707
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
BLiTZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wonder if they'll ever look at reinstating the 'Constructors' championship again?
Old 18 Mar 2021, 12:47 (Ref:4041200)   #2708
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Is that still the case though?
Not trying to be difficult, just wondering how their status in 2021 differs to Motorbase, HARD or Excelr8?
All are constructors, not manufacturers like WSR/BMW, Gazoo Racing/Toyota etc.
Old 18 Mar 2021, 12:51 (Ref:4041202)   #2709
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Not for certainty - in fact it poses more questions.
The article talks about being involved with TD from 2004, yet they were an independent entry in 04, 05, 06 and 09.
Old 18 Mar 2021, 13:00 (Ref:4041205)   #2710
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
All are constructors, not manufacturers like WSR/BMW, Gazoo Racing/Toyota etc.
So that means TD are now a constructor, not a manufacturer?

And to continue the pedantry - why are Motorbase not mandated to compete in the 'Championship for Manufacturers/Constructors' championship?

Ultimately, I guess the simple question I have is - there are six championships for which entrants compete in for 2021:
• BTCC Championship for Drivers
• BTCC Independents' Trophy for Drivers
• BTCC Championship for Manufacturers/Constructors
• BTCC Championship for Teams
• BTCC Independents’ Teams Championship
• The Jack Sears Trophy

What is the criteria against which a team is deemed ineligible for the 'BTCC Independents’ Teams Championship' and is mandated to compete in the 'BTCC Championship for Manufacturers/Constructors'?
Old 18 Mar 2021, 13:07 (Ref:4041206)   #2711
mj088
Racer

mj088 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Not for certainty - in fact it poses more questions.
The article talks about being involved with TD from 2004, yet they were an independent entry in 04, 05, 06 and 09.
I think its clear from the article that they are not involved in 2021, the wording is not designed to start conspiracy theories from championships 16 years ago
Old 18 Mar 2021, 13:10 (Ref:4041208)   #2712
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj088 View Post
I think its clear from the article that they are not involved in 2021, the wording is not designed to start conspiracy theories from championships 16 years ago
Yes - I understand that, and not wanting to go over that ground again.

Just a simple question - are TD an independent in 2021? And if not, why?
Old 18 Mar 2021, 13:15 (Ref:4041210)   #2713
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
Jelley has 6 years experience, 5 of them in really good machinery. His results are pretty poor considering. Doing all the rounds and finishing 32nd in 2018 in a car that was runner-up in the championship the year before is not great.

Oliphant in his three years however has shown steady progess. 22nd to 11th to 6th. He's no Turkington, but then again, who is?
Except Jelly didnt have works motors or the benefit of team mate data or a team with 20 years BTCC experience
Old 18 Mar 2021, 13:28 (Ref:4041212)   #2714
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not particularly thrilled by Rowbo's signing in Dynamics but it's massive for him and good luck. Appearing in one of the greatest teams of recent time is a huge challenge as he'll probably be constantly compared to not only Shedden but also Cammish and Neal.

I've never been a fan of Neal, nevertheless it's pretty sad to see him go in such a low-key manner in what seems as kind of a downgrade of the whole team.

Being a factory team doesn't do much these days but still it's somehow sad to see Honda go, Yuasa go and Dynamics becoming 'just' an independent team which will be called something like Team Dynamics with Halfords and powered by Cataclean and everything great Racing co uk. But having Shedden means they still should have a shot at Drivers' title.

With just Toyota and BMW being manufacturers, I'm not sure if it's worth contiunuing the Manufacturers Championship especially as for many 'ordinary' people watching races it may seem completely vague why they see so many brands on the grid and just two are in some kind of official championship.

Also, I think Neal won't be back.
Old 18 Mar 2021, 13:55 (Ref:4041216)   #2715
Overboost
Racer

Overboost should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOverboost should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
I'm not particularly thrilled by Rowbo's signing in Dynamics but it's massive for him and good luck. Appearing in one of the greatest teams of recent time is a huge challenge as he'll probably be constantly compared to not only Shedden but also Cammish and Neal.

I've never been a fan of Neal, nevertheless it's pretty sad to see him go in such a low-key manner in what seems as kind of a downgrade of the whole team.

Being a factory team doesn't do much these days but still it's somehow sad to see Honda go, Yuasa go and Dynamics becoming 'just' an independent team which will be called something like Team Dynamics with Halfords and powered by Cataclean and everything great Racing co uk. But having Shedden means they still should have a shot at Drivers' title.

With just Toyota and BMW being manufacturers, I'm not sure if it's worth contiunuing the Manufacturers Championship especially as for many 'ordinary' people watching races it may seem completely vague why they see so many brands on the grid and just two are in some kind of official championship.

Also, I think Neal won't be back.
There is a good chance 3 teams will be in the manufacture championship, with an outside chance of a 4th, so don't write it off yet 😉
Old 18 Mar 2021, 13:57 (Ref:4041218)   #2716
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
There is a good chance 3 teams will be in the manufacture championship, with an outside chance of a 4th, so don't write it off yet 😉
I hope so!
Well, at the end of the day it's not something that makes the championship exciting or not but somehow Honda's withdrawal is particularly sad.
Old 18 Mar 2021, 14:03 (Ref:4041219)   #2717
Robshillito1990
Racer

Robshillito1990 is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
I've got a sneaking suspicion SEAT and Cupra might have a hand in this whole Team Hard thing. They've been pushing the cupra brand very hard on their social media since it was announced they would be using the car
Old 18 Mar 2021, 14:32 (Ref:4041227)   #2718
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I wouldn’t be surprised if SEAT/Cupra have some part in Team HARD’s venture. That would be good, as this could help develop the brand
Old 18 Mar 2021, 14:35 (Ref:4041230)   #2719
thetool
Veteran

I'd be stunned if any brand would want to be associated with HARD. I do believe at least one brand they've run before has specifically asked not to be!
Old 18 Mar 2021, 14:37 (Ref:4041231)   #2720
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think we should give HARD credit. They’ve done well to get this far after all these years. I can’t wait to see how the car goes, although it will probably be upper midfield most of the time, but you never know
Old 18 Mar 2021, 14:37 (Ref:4041232)   #2721
VXDave
Racer

VXDave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
I hope so!
Well, at the end of the day it's not something that makes the championship exciting or not but somehow Honda's withdrawal is particularly sad.
Don't forget that PMR have been quoted in the press as 'not yet confirmed' whether they will have Vauxhall support again (they did very loosely in 17, 18 and 19).

I would eat my hat if HARD actually have Cupra backing. Never say never, but I reckon the camouflaged livery is just because they don't have all sponsorship sorted yet.
Old 18 Mar 2021, 14:54 (Ref:4041235)   #2722
S griffin
Veteran

I do hope PMR get the Vauxhall backing. It really added to the series to have them involved

I don’t think it’s impossible HARD could have some backing from SEAT, would benefit them a bit. We’ll see what the camouflaged livery means hopefully soon enough
Old 18 Mar 2021, 15:37 (Ref:4041246)   #2723
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
https://www.btcc.net/2021/03/18/dan-...team-dynamics/
Rowbo at Dynamics

Neal "I am going to be taking a year out of the sport this season".
Queue the Neal to return in 2022 rumours
" Multi year deal" what does that mean exactly.......
Old 18 Mar 2021, 15:38 (Ref:4041247)   #2724
S griffin
Veteran

I’m surprised they would give RowBo a multi year deal. Let him get through this year first
Old 18 Mar 2021, 15:41 (Ref:4041248)   #2725
Matt K
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I do hope PMR get the Vauxhall backing. It really added to the series to have them involved

I don’t think it’s impossible HARD could have some backing from SEAT, would benefit them a bit. We’ll see what the camouflaged livery means hopefully soon enough
On one hand it did add especially as Vauxhall is probably one of the most iconic BTCC brands but on the other hand it seemed least 'factory' of all manufacturer teams and actually it was tough to find any 'evidence' they're actually a manufacturer team. Honda, BMW, Toyota or Subaru (used to) have liveries that reflect(ed) their factory status, manufacturers' social media indicated their involvement in the BTCC (BMW Motorsport UK, Honda UK, etc) while in terms of PMR there was almost nothing. Manufacturer involvement in the BTCC is not about financing teams nor it is about any technical partnerships. But if it is not even about promotional reasons then what is it about? Yes, PMR used to have some dealer partnerships and there were some PSA brands on their cars but it was all very low-key.