Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 2 Apr 2021, 20:56 (Ref:4044413)   #1226
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Phillip Island Classic… Dont tell me you need the year!

By the way, EB, 'your" Johnny was………… https://www.johnnytalbot.com/
Johnny Talbot.... J'abandonne. Seul toi Gérard a pu trouver ça

Re Phillip Island Classic Im afraid you are wrong. At PI you turn left out of the garages to join the track.... in the photo they would clearly turn right out of the garage to find the track. I do go to other tracks apart from PI you know.
Old 2 Apr 2021, 22:58 (Ref:4044416)   #1227
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
I'm glad you did not ask where as well!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Funnily enough I was going to offer a bonus point for that.....
Your'e banned anyway. As discussed.
I think this is the only part I know - Is it Sandown raceway as there appears to be horse racing track in the infield?
Old 3 Apr 2021, 06:17 (Ref:4044426)   #1228
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaholic View Post
I think this is the only part I know - Is it Sandown raceway as there appears to be horse racing track in the infield?
It is indeed Sandown Park

You got the difficult bit. For those who have not picked the driver I was after he didn't do too bad at Le Mans. Oh, and he is an Aussie. Just sayin'.

Last edited by E.B; 3 Apr 2021 at 06:23.
Old 3 Apr 2021, 06:33 (Ref:4044427)   #1229
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

It is indeed Sandown Park

You got the difficult bit. For those who have not picked the driver I was after he didn't do too bad at Le Mans. Oh, and he is an Aussie. Just sayin'.
Personally, I have no idea who the blighter is, I guessed he would be Aussie but could find no one to match your description. I suspect that the correct answers came from those who recognised him. Eddie Cheever has the right record re- GP's and Indie races, and with your last clue has a track record at Le Mans. I would have rejected Eddie as it is clearly not him in the picture. So I have failed the exam without even an honourable mention. Any vacancies Gerard?
Old 3 Apr 2021, 07:02 (Ref:4044430)   #1230
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Come on Baub in Britain we saw him drive BRM< Hill. Ensign & Surtees F1 cars.
Old 3 Apr 2021, 07:02 (Ref:4044431)   #1231
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I do go to other tracks apart from PI you know.
Non, je ne savais pas, mais c'est dans l'âme anglaise de voyager je suppose. De coloniser aussi!
I found your driver, was around at LM in '74 too. Another clue for others: during Q he was faster than me but his engine blew before ours (#4343). Its not my name you're looking for, no Gerry'Mo on the entry list!
Old 3 Apr 2021, 07:13 (Ref:4044433)   #1232
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Come on Baub in Britain we saw him drive BRM< Hill. Ensign & Surtees F1 cars.
Don't know how I missed him, I thought I had looked all Aussie Grand Prix drivers.

Anyway lads, I have had the old Prescott one-two.

Can you work that out RB etc?
Old 3 Apr 2021, 07:17 (Ref:4044434)   #1233
bauble
Veteran

England
Who's this then?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7876.jpg  
Old 3 Apr 2021, 07:37 (Ref:4044435)   #1234
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Any vacancies Gerard?
Are you kidding me? I told you I put heavy hands on my doc' to have at least one jab.
The driver in question is famous thanks to his Le Mans file. Aussie. Aussi Aussie I mean…
Old 3 Apr 2021, 07:38 (Ref:4044436)   #1235
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Don't know how I missed him, I thought I had looked all Aussie Grand Prix drivers.

Anyway lads, I have had the old Prescott one-two.

Can you work that out RB etc?
A second jab.
Old 3 Apr 2021, 09:12 (Ref:4044448)   #1236
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Hope that second jab comes soon
Old 3 Apr 2021, 10:10 (Ref:4044450)   #1237
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
A second jab.
That's right of course, RB, 'Two Jabs' John Prescott.

OK Mike I will wear my mask for three weeks.
Old 3 Apr 2021, 10:21 (Ref:4044451)   #1238
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I think you should never lower your guard… Remember l'admirable Nelson, the battle is not over. Not yet. Reste prudent, mon Ami.

So, at last you found VS too? Very good question from EB, kudos!
Old 3 Apr 2021, 12:41 (Ref:4044465)   #1239
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Re my last who am I question, an interesting article about VS the man, his career in F1, F5000, Indycar, Le Mans etc.....including why he has a love of the Talbot Lago 26C he now drives (very quickly I might add) that goes back to 1955 was published in our VHRR mag.(link below) The car for those anoraks amongst us, won 2 Australian GPs in the hands of Doug Whiteford.
https://vhrr.com/general_articles/Ve...2026%20all.pdf
Old 5 Apr 2021, 09:46 (Ref:4044663)   #1240
bauble
Veteran

England
Can you name this car? (Picture Ferret Photos)
Attached Thumbnails
004 (2).jpg  
Old 5 Apr 2021, 10:05 (Ref:4044665)   #1241
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Picture Puzzles

A Cooper?
Old 5 Apr 2021, 11:25 (Ref:4044679)   #1242
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
A Cooper?
Don't think so, it's rarer than that!

PM sent.
Old 5 Apr 2021, 11:46 (Ref:4044682)   #1243
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Not sure about the car but might it be at Shelsley Walsh? It looks like I imagine the start would have looked like back in the day.
Old 5 Apr 2021, 12:51 (Ref:4044690)   #1244
bauble
Veteran

England
Not a Cooper, RBS has (as usual) come in with the right answer, and reckons there will not be any others.

A challenge EB?
Old 5 Apr 2021, 14:06 (Ref:4044701)   #1245
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Not a Cooper, RBS has (as usual) come in with the right answer, and reckons there will not be any others.

A challenge EB?
I have ideas but they are pure guesswork. I would say im stumped.

email sent anyway, just to confirm my Stupido membership!

Last edited by E.B; 5 Apr 2021 at 14:16.
Old 5 Apr 2021, 14:31 (Ref:4044705)   #1246
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
It seems we now have an Indian group inside the Stupido Club. Hawk Eye, Agile Rabbit and Gerry'Mo… Birds of a feather…
Old 5 Apr 2021, 15:36 (Ref:4044709)   #1247
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
I have ideas but they are pure guesswork. I would say im stumped.

email sent anyway, just to confirm my Stupido membership!
To be fair it is a very obscure car, built by a chap who seemed to modify the car to suit whatever formula he was racing in. It is a 1950's special that raced in the big Silverstone meetings around 1951- 53 period, and is known by the drivers initials ***. The venue is probably some long forgotten airfield sprint course. Surely some buffoon will name the saloon parked further up the course, as the answer.

I do not know the provenance of the second picture.
Attached Thumbnails
001-001.jpg  

Last edited by bauble; 5 Apr 2021 at 15:41.
Old 5 Apr 2021, 16:17 (Ref:4044716)   #1248
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Surely some buffoon will name the saloon parked further up the course, as the answer.
What, the Standard Vanguard....
Email sent with my 2nd try
Old 5 Apr 2021, 16:33 (Ref:4044718)   #1249
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And I think that the second photo is from Silverstone.
Old 5 Apr 2021, 16:48 (Ref:4044720)   #1250
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
And I think that the second photo is from Silverstone.
A genius at work!