Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 20 Jan 2021, 17:45 (Ref:4030305)   #426
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
One jab or two so far?

I have seen a US medic suggest the responses to his second jab were more noticeable than the first, though not especially significant for a person of his age (about 40 I would estimate.)

I get the distinct impression that it was his first vaccination, Grant.
Old 20 Jan 2021, 17:49 (Ref:4030308)   #427
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
If you need/want more info, may be you can have a look to The Lancet, serious people I think.
Old 20 Jan 2021, 18:46 (Ref:4030323)   #428
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good news from the Midgetman household. The current Mrs MM works with a dementia charity, and because she regularly visits "vulnerable" people is booked in for vaccination on Saturday Neither of us are anywhere near 80 let me add

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 20 Jan 2021, 20:52 (Ref:4030339)   #429
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Ha yes? Hummm, who is your avatar then?
Old 20 Jan 2021, 22:59 (Ref:4030355)   #430
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ouch

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 21 Jan 2021, 08:24 (Ref:4030387)   #431
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
You know me, if I can help… be my guest!
Old 21 Jan 2021, 13:23 (Ref:4030441)   #432
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
EV's enthusiasts will be soon pleased to have a full charge within five minutes only, StoreDot producing a new type of batteries. Enough for 100 miles, they say. On n'arrête pas le progrès, comme ils disent * Peckham!
Old 21 Jan 2021, 14:10 (Ref:4030449)   #433
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
However what if, somehow, it would be possible to create an Aero shape that acted in conjunction with local air movements to provide forward momentum? (Whilst at the same time generating a horribly messy air wake to prevent others benefiting as well)?
This is what they are trying to achieve in cycling and time trial and it has generated some interesting developments in wheel design in order to extract the best from crosswinds.

Basically and originally, the deeper the rim was the better it went in a straight line. Now, we have deep rims with wave patterns creating multiple depths and profiles, it can be more aerodynamic in a broader range of crosswinds. Where others may stall at a certain yaw angle, these can overcome (or at least minimize) that by having some of the crosswind reattaching earlier. In theory that means a more stable wheel that’s less prone to erratic performance in crosswinds.
Old 21 Jan 2021, 14:48 (Ref:4030454)   #434
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddha View Post
This is what they are trying to achieve in cycling and time trial and it has generated some interesting developments in wheel design in order to extract the best from crosswinds.

Basically and originally, the deeper the rim was the better it went in a straight line. Now, we have deep rims with wave patterns creating multiple depths and profiles, it can be more aerodynamic in a broader range of crosswinds. Where others may stall at a certain yaw angle, these can overcome (or at least minimize) that by having some of the crosswind reattaching earlier. In theory that means a more stable wheel that’s less prone to erratic performance in crosswinds.
Hmm.

Presumably the rules allow for adjustable (in the loosest sense of the word) aerodynamic devices?

When the teams get really smart the obvious step would be to eliminate the need for a rider ....

Cycling for AI robots?
Old 21 Jan 2021, 15:14 (Ref:4030458)   #435
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddha View Post

You should train on the Sussex Coast Louis, life is a vicious variable cross wind about 300 days a year!
Old 21 Jan 2021, 15:16 (Ref:4030459)   #436
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Hmm.

Presumably the rules allow for adjustable (in the loosest sense of the word) aerodynamic devices?

When the teams get really smart the obvious step would be to eliminate the need for a rider ....

Cycling for AI robots?
remote control car racing is very popular at the track near us.
Old 21 Jan 2021, 15:22 (Ref:4030460)   #437
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Hmmmmmmm.
Old 21 Jan 2021, 15:30 (Ref:4030461)   #438
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Hmm.

Cycling for AI robots?
Actually there are strict rules in terms of position for the rider to avoid certain practices which were popular in the early 90s and which led to the hour record being shattered by many Brits. The superman position is forbidden as an example and in a proper UCI race you get the bike geometry checked through a specific device so that you are within what is allowed. All except one of my frames are actually homologated.

Quote:
You should train on the Sussex Coast Louis, life is a vicious variable cross wind about 300 days a year!
I learnt a few years ago that in cycling you have to embrace the wind so I wouldn't mind, except with a disc wheel I guess.
Old 21 Jan 2021, 15:30 (Ref:4030462)   #439
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Hmmmmmmm.
I can just see you sitting in the pits with a radio control mechanism that allows you to “over rule” the driving inputs of those pesky owners when they start doing something daft!!

....although having said that I am now slightly worried that Dad will think this a good idea to have for when I am in our noisy little car!
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 21 Jan 2021, 15:55 (Ref:4030467)   #440
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356sc View Post
I can just see you sitting in the pits with a radio control mechanism that allows you to “over rule” the driving inputs of those pesky owners when they start doing something daft!!

....although having said that I am now slightly worried that Dad will think this a good idea to have for when I am in our noisy little car!
Hehe.

So you allow the driver to think they driving well but in fact it's all run by a mentor - or maybe AI?

Behold - the future!
Old 21 Jan 2021, 16:05 (Ref:4030469)   #441
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Rally car simulator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W522l3eNuIY

Seems appropriate with Mike in mind.
Old 21 Jan 2021, 16:19 (Ref:4030473)   #442
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Its well known that we are far behind you in any aspect. Racing included, indeed. What we have are drivers with no brain, this saves the remote control thingy. And when we say "I" the "A" becomes mandatory sometimes! "A" for abstract or Absent…
Old 21 Jan 2021, 17:41 (Ref:4030483)   #443
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Getting fed up with 0203 phone numbers that keep ringing me on my land line and no one on the end ! It's obviously some type of scam that is trying to do something but what ?
Normally someone would try talking you into giving details to get at your money but it's just silent. I assume that they expect you to phone the number that would obviously cost you about a million pounds per minute ? Searching the internet hasn't come up with much but are other 10thers plagued with things like this ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 21 Jan 2021, 17:55 (Ref:4030486)   #444
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Generally they are just computers ringing multiple numbers at random, with any answered calls being allocated to one of a few actual callers, or sometimes an automated spiel.....but if they've hit too many numbers that actually answer, you can be left in limbo until someone becomes free.

The tell-tale silence when you pick up the phone is usually a give-away, and a signal to end the call, although I have occasionally been caught out when a real caller has been multi-tasking and not realised I've answered.....but if they are a genuine caller they usually call back!

Not had many recently - I figure they blitz dialling code areas in turn.....
Old 21 Jan 2021, 18:15 (Ref:4030493)   #445
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A coincidence, but I've had about half a dozen of these calls today, with no one on the other end until the last call, which had a poorly speaking Asian male claiming to be from Virgin Media. I didn't believe him, and bid him a not too fond goodbye. Interesting, none of the previous calls came from anything like the same number - the dialling codes were all from different parts of the country - but these days that doesn't mean much because it is possible to obtain numbers from other places nowadays.
Old 21 Jan 2021, 18:28 (Ref:4030498)   #446
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
A coincidence, but I've had about half a dozen of these calls today, with no one on the other end until the last call, which had a poorly speaking Asian male claiming to be from Virgin Media. I didn't believe him, and bid him a not too fond goodbye. Interesting, none of the previous calls came from anything like the same number - the dialling codes were all from different parts of the country - but these days that doesn't mean much because it is possible to obtain numbers from other places nowadays.
We are obviously the "chosen few" Mike however I would have liked there to have been someone on the end so that I could also tell them to "go away"
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 21 Jan 2021, 18:40 (Ref:4030504)   #447
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Before we had these phone callers we used to get the cold calling at the door "Jehovah's Whiteness" that were a pain. However my father in law (RIP) was a very intelligent man (ex headmaster) who used to delight in talking at length to them about anything that came into his head at the time, they would then look at each other and quickly go away !
Old 21 Jan 2021, 19:16 (Ref:4030512)   #448
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Before we had these phone callers we used to get the cold calling at the door "Jehovah's Whiteness" that were a pain. However my father in law (RIP) was a very intelligent man (ex headmaster) who used to delight in talking at length to them about anything that came into his head at the time, they would then look at each other and quickly go away !
They are very prevalent here too. Unfortunately the couple who call on me speak English & carry English-language literature, so I cannot even get away with "Sorry, I don't speak French!

Having said that, they are a very pleasant couple & it is difficult to be rude to them.
Old 21 Jan 2021, 19:57 (Ref:4030516)   #449
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
They are very prevalent here too. Unfortunately the couple who call on me speak English & carry English-language literature, so I cannot even get away with "Sorry, I don't speak French!

Having said that, they are a very pleasant couple & it is difficult to be rude to them.

When I lived in Radlett in Herts., I was a member of Round Table for many years, and the wife of one of my fellow Tablers was a Witness, A more charming, and stunningly attractive, young lady you would hard to find. In addition, she was a highly talented concert pianist, whose initial lessons were from learning to play by ear. She was Singaporean, and whilst still at school she used to sneak out of her home to play in the lounge at the Shangri-La Hotel, the top hotel in Singapore at the time (better than Raffles back then) Her formal training was later at the Royal College of Music, where she qualified to teach music. She actually taught one of my sons to Grade 8, at which point he started assisting her when she taught a parent and child together, with him guiding the parent while she taught the child.

Anyway, apparently, she had given a list of the addresses of the Tablers who lived in Radlett to her fellow Witnesses, and instructed them to not call on us. It worked because from time to time they used to knock on the door of our next door neighbours, a lovely couple who were ardent members of the local C Of E Church. The Witnesses ' message fell on deaf ears there because he gave up his directorship of a public company to take up the cloth.

At my late wife's funeral he assisted in the proceedings alongside a Bishop and a past Archbishop. After our divorce, my wife became secretary to the Abbey in St Albans, where she worked with Robert Runcie. And our old next neighbours are Godparents to my two sons.
Old 21 Jan 2021, 20:04 (Ref:4030518)   #450
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Next Wednesday at 21.00 hours, BBC 2 is starting a series on the history of Delorean. Whether it will be any good, who knows, but I have set it up to be recorded in case it is interesting.
Closed Thread