Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 10 Aug 2012, 05:56 (Ref:3118197)   #226
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Honestly, they should be fine with Roger and they've owned a house there for quite some time. Lots of money and just ask a particular famous United States political family how "laws" apply to certain people in that area.

However, the ability of his team to attract and keep sponsors, especially the Female Empowerment sponsorship which they currently have () will be severely hampered. Not that Jay was destined for motorsports glory anyway, it's no wonder Tim and not one of his sons will be Roger's likely successor.
Old 10 Aug 2012, 08:41 (Ref:3118252)   #227
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
It's not the IRL anymore.

Go back to crapwagon where you belong.
Technically it still is the Indy Racing League, as it originated from the IRL's continuity.
Old 10 Aug 2012, 13:52 (Ref:3118371)   #228
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
However no one cares about the irl so there are probably around 35 people who took note of this story.
Quote:
It's not the IRL anymore.

Go back to crapwagon where you belong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS" View Post
Technically it still is the Indy Racing League, as it originated from the IRL's continuity.
What is confusing the situation is the Indy Racing League, LLC officially adopted IndyCar as its trade name on January 1, 2011 but IndyCar is just that, a trade name not the legal business name, that still remains the Indy Racing League, LLC, which is a subsidiary of Hulman & Company. To further add to the confusion, legal documentation says Indy Racing League, LLC, though some documentation also says, 'dba IndyCar'; dba is an abbreviation for doing business as.
Old 10 Aug 2012, 17:31 (Ref:3118424)   #229
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
the point still stands though, if you're a regular poster on crapwagon, then you shouldn't be posting here, because you'll actually have nothing constructive to say about the subject.

if you ever feel like having a good laugh, head on over there and just read through all the threads posted by those delusionals.
Old 10 Aug 2012, 17:49 (Ref:3118432)   #230
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
the point still stands though, if you're a regular poster on crapwagon, then you shouldn't be posting here, because you'll actually have nothing constructive to say about the subject.

if you ever feel like having a good laugh, head on over there and just read through all the threads posted by those delusionals.
Personally, if people want to have a rant, whether delusional or not they have that right, I don't have to read it or react to it.
Old 10 Aug 2012, 21:22 (Ref:3118476)   #231
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Delta Wing to submit a proposal for the new Indy Lights car?

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...ts-proposal/P1
Old 10 Aug 2012, 22:18 (Ref:3118500)   #232
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

I'd worry about your own posts Matt and leave others to decide what their own point of view and opinion is. You are always whining about any criticism of the irl, but you never post any in depth thought or opinions to counter that or make your own case.

There is nothing constructive to say about a irl team owner who has female empowerment sponsorship who drunkenly grabs a woman and ****es on her boots. There is no way to white wash that and we are rightfully going to about that. Especially when rodeo randy told us recently he wanted to get some compelling stories out there in the media. What's next?
Old 10 Aug 2012, 22:27 (Ref:3118502)   #233
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Honestly, they should be fine with Roger and they've owned a house there for quite some time. Lots of money and just ask a particular famous United States political family how "laws" apply to certain people in that area.

However, the ability of his team to attract and keep sponsors, especially the Female Empowerment sponsorship which they currently have () will be severely hampered. Not that Jay was destined for motorsports glory anyway, it's no wonder Tim and not one of his sons will be Roger's likely successor.
Penske will be like Bernie E, if they keel over in a business meeting, it will be a fitting end as far as they are concerned. Penske will probably still be around for another 20 years. I just can never see him retiring.

He owns at least a thousand different businesses, maybe more and I'm sure someday it will end up in some sort of family run and controlled group.

Likely because no one knows who these guys are or what the irl is anymore, it's not going to be a big media story and the Penske's can afford to lawyer or PR up with whatever they need to smooth everything over. I can see at least one bill for new sexy boots though.
Old 10 Aug 2012, 22:30 (Ref:3118503)   #234
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce View Post

Can you see Delta Wing indy lights cars? I can't.

I'm sure they will do like last time and do the phony PR bit about how they are cautiously and carefully considering every bid, but everyone knows it's dallara's if they want it. The only way that isn't happening is if the check is bigger from another party.
Old 11 Aug 2012, 11:14 (Ref:3118618)   #235
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Personally, if people want to have a rant, whether delusional or not they have that right, I don't have to read it or react to it.
Yup. There's an old internet saying which goes along these lines that mentionst gnomes or something like that and how to deal with them.

Having returned to being interested in US open wheel racing only around the time of reunification, I can say that I had to play catch-up to some extent on what happened during the years of the split in both series and/or after Alex Zanardi's accident in CART. I consider it somewhat sad that some teams from the pre-split series did not exist long enough for reunification.

But what did surprise me in the post-reunification years, was how the people working in the sport had no inhibitions about changing ship and working for or hiring somebody from across the great divide. I think that's great and that spirit is what really reunited the series.

Now if only the important tracks which fell off the schedule and were lost to NASCAR could return, things would be fine from my fan perspective. I have no interest whatsoever in arguing with fans of this or that party in the split. Instead, I want to see drivers battle it out on track.

Here's hoping for a good season's end.
Old 11 Aug 2012, 11:55 (Ref:3118625)   #236
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce View Post

Quote:
Tony George Jr., son of Indy Racing League founder Tony George, took over the Lights series earlier this year and has spearheaded the 2014 new-car process.
Oh no, not another one!
Old 11 Aug 2012, 13:28 (Ref:3118649)   #237
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
This is actually funny! I love the DW and felt that IndyCar/IRL/dba Whatever blew an enormous opportunity when those chose the Dallara. It is different, innovative and a departure from the "Lets design a car that looks like all of the other cars we have ever designed" school of design.

Don't worry though, they won't do it. I am not even sure why they HAVE Indy Lights/Formula Atlantic/dba Random Support Series as it is not a Ladder to Anywhere. A design that looks like the old design will be chosen for "continuity sake." I mean after all, we should continue with the same old formula that has been proven now to attract not a single crowd worth opening the gates for. Heck, I remember when Formula Super Vee and Formula Atlantic races were events we WENT to on purpose. Dynamite racing. Now it is all just sturm und drang signifying...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 11 Aug 2012, 13:37 (Ref:3118652)   #238
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I'm sure they will do like last time and do the phony PR bit about how they are cautiously and carefully considering every bid, but everyone knows it's dallara's if they want it. The only way that isn't happening is if the check is bigger from another party.
Not really. If you listen to how Indycar owners complained about the car, delivery times, costs (cars and spares), even the exchange rate based pricing. It gives Mazda a chance to put an engine in the top step of the "Road to Indy". This gives a positive buzz, made in the U.S. Innovated, I like the idea.

Happy to say, I got banned from crapwagon. Twice.
Old 11 Aug 2012, 15:13 (Ref:3118672)   #239
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Mazda is made in the US?

Further, Mazda is all about the grassroots enjoyment of their cars. They have positioned themselves very well (imho) as the manufacturer of cars that are fun to drive on the road and competitively. There is no real connection (again, imho) or gain in Mazda having any involvement with the "top rung" of open wheel racing here in America. Their bread & butter is with the grassroot car enthusiasts. Further, I don't believe Mazda moves enough untits to be considered a big enugh player to be able to take the step from a financial basis.

Besides, Penske and Ganassi have no affiliation with Mazda. Having nothing to gain there will be no impetus for them to et Mazda involved
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 11 Aug 2012, 15:18 (Ref:3118674)   #240
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
Not really. If you listen to how Indycar owners complained about the car, delivery times, costs (cars and spares), even the exchange rate based pricing. It gives Mazda a chance to put an engine in the top step of the "Road to Indy". This gives a positive buzz, made in the U.S. Innovated, I like the idea.

Happy to say, I got banned from crapwagon. Twice.
I don't think the management at the speedway cares about what team owners think. We already have seen that many times this year alone and the team owners were told to shut up.
Old 11 Aug 2012, 15:36 (Ref:3118679)   #241
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
JohnSSC, much lower unit production than Mazda didn't stop Lotus from trying to be in just about every major series out there, except for tin-tops.
Old 11 Aug 2012, 15:52 (Ref:3118685)   #242
HJJ
Veteran

United States
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC View Post
Mazda is made in the US?

Besides, Penske and Ganassi have no affiliation with Mazda. Having nothing to gain there will be no impetus for them to et Mazda involved
No, the chassis built in the U.S. They could plug any lump they want in the back. However, Mazda now has their name on a car built in '02 that has an Infinity V-8 as the top rung on the ladder system. They could plug the 2.3 L from the Prototype Lites DP-02 and get acceptable performance.

F2000 and Star Mazda now fall under the Road to Indy banner and those cars are built by elan.

Don't know 'bout your Penske or Ganassi comments, lost me on those.
Old 11 Aug 2012, 15:54 (Ref:3118686)   #243
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Quote:
I don't think the management at the speedway cares about what team owners think. We already have seen that many times this year alone and the team owners were told to shut up.
Old 11 Aug 2012, 16:11 (Ref:3118697)   #244
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC View Post
Mazda is made in the US?

Further, Mazda is all about the grassroots enjoyment of their cars. They have positioned themselves very well (imho) as the manufacturer of cars that are fun to drive on the road and competitively. There is no real connection (again, imho) or gain in Mazda having any involvement with the "top rung" of open wheel racing here in America. Their bread & butter is with the grassroot car enthusiasts. Further, I don't believe Mazda moves enough untits to be considered a big enugh player to be able to take the step from a financial basis.

For all their involvement in these junior formula categories over the years and whatever money they have put in, they have never leveraged it or been able to use it in a positive way. I think it was there for a while the Star Mazda champ was getting a factory ride in Grand Am.

Their involvement in grassroots motorsport I believe has been successful. It got a lot of people out there racing Mazdas and in addition they've had a successful business selling parts to all these thousands of racers. They've been smart about it because it is a sustainable business, rather than just dumped millions out there on some obscure racing series and hoping you get some marketing benefit out of it.
Old 11 Aug 2012, 16:27 (Ref:3118704)   #245
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
JohnSSC, much lower unit production than Mazda didn't stop Lotus from trying to be in just about every major series out there, except for tin-tops.
Well Purist, read up on where all that Lotus money came from and what has nearly happened to Lotus in the meantime. They blew hundreds of millions of dollars for nothing and have axed Dany Bahar's plans and there are several investigations going in several countries. Lotus is on it's knees.
Old 11 Aug 2012, 21:46 (Ref:3118798)   #246
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I didn't say anything about Lotus being in good shape for heir efforts. My point was, low unit production certainly did NOT stop them from TRYING to go after all those programs.
Old 12 Aug 2012, 01:37 (Ref:3118843)   #247
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Old 12 Aug 2012, 03:32 (Ref:3118851)   #248
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
It's funny how you and others do the rolleyes bit but you have no other information to lay out your case to counter that.

The team owners have already talked insurrection this year. People that are happy don't need to do that.
Old 12 Aug 2012, 03:35 (Ref:3118852)   #249
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
I didn't say anything about Lotus being in good shape for heir efforts. My point was, low unit production certainly did NOT stop them from TRYING to go after all those programs.
Well someone did stop them and it's all collapsed. The repercussions are going to be ugly and have some ramifications. The indy racin league program was only small beans anyways. Lots of flashy paint but little money traded hands.
Old 12 Aug 2012, 10:36 (Ref:3118922)   #250
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Quote:
Well someone did stop them and it's all collapsed. The repercussions are going to be ugly and have some ramifications. The indy racin league program was only small beans anyways. Lots of flashy paint but little money traded hands.
What MS said....

So just because Lotus, which is looking every bit like a company run to relieve investors of their $$ and end up who knows where, spent money on racing then Mazda should follow the same path?

As I and others have pointed out, Mazda has run a very smart program promoting grassroots racing. It earns them goodwill and makes a buck. this is a good thing. Taking a leap and having anything to do with IndyCar and especially now does not at all follow their model nor does it provide any clear path to "success" for the company.

Even large manufacturers question the value of large expenditures at the top rung. The Mercedes Benz board has been rumbling about pulling out of F1 for some time due to the perceived lack of benefit compared to the cost of the program. BMW pulled out long ago.

These sorts of "if, then" statements: "Mazda are a profitable company and have motorsport ties, they then should be much more involved in IndyCar." are fun to make but really have no basis in reality. Especially for the company named.