Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Hillclimb and Sprint

Old 24 Nov 2004, 20:38 (Ref:1163153)   #26
FLoads
Rookie

FLoads should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lister
Definitely not the Shelsley gardener.

Mr 'Arris - How is the Jamun, are we likely to see it again ?
Old 24 Nov 2004, 22:13 (Ref:1163266)   #27
listernoble
Racer

United Kingdom
Norfolk UK
listernoble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Fireblade
I said "to" the border not "over" it, lister
Sorry ,I was trying to be subtle,it's over the border from Wales!
Lister
Old 24 Nov 2004, 22:52 (Ref:1163292)   #28
Fireblade
Racer

Fireblade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Loton Park and the 11th Baronet were featured on a documentary last year.
More views of the world from the titled one. And some of his fellow baronets. The Earl of Radnors views were interesting.An old cock's home is his castle
Old 24 Nov 2004, 23:46 (Ref:1163343)   #29
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Interesting article. Full of characters is this hillclimbing lark. He almost makes an internet savvy dog and a flock of talking buzzards sound normal...
Old 24 Nov 2004, 23:49 (Ref:1163344)   #30
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sorry folks, I was trying to delete a rubbish post from me and I seem to have removed one of lister's too. Haven't quite got the hang of this thing yet. I hope nobody else's went missing.

**note to self, must try harder**
Old 25 Nov 2004, 00:26 (Ref:1163375)   #31
Fireblade
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Woolley
Interesting article. Full of characters is this hillclimbing lark. He almost makes an internet savvy dog and a flock of talking buzzards sound normal...
Quite Woolley.
You almost sound disbelieving there. The Butler would be mortified if you didn't believe in the pooch's PC skills.
I still think that her account of a day at the Shropshire hillclimb one of the best I have read. So informative I found her. She is busy writing her memoirs at present reading to go live at a location to be announced.

As for listers deleted post it was the one in reply to the 'Arris lawnmower comment. Last seen lister was wandering off muttering something about Ransomes. No doubt The Gardener or FLoads can shed some light on these horticultural devices.

And its not a flock of buzzards. Just one all seeing one. so be careful.
Old 25 Nov 2004, 08:14 (Ref:1163515)   #32
listernoble
Racer

United Kingdom
Norfolk UK
listernoble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Woolley
[B]Sorry folks, I was trying to delete a rubbish post from me and I seem to have removed one of lister's too. Haven't quite got the hang of this thing yet. I hope nobody else's went missing.

Wooley me old mate,probably best thing to have happened to it.
Lister
Old 25 Nov 2004, 17:36 (Ref:1164119)   #33
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Ntrprise, no local hillclimbs, and not much anything this time of year! Two local sprint venues are Longcross (Sutton&Cheam MC - http://www.scmc.co.uk/) and Eelmoor (Farnborough&D MC - http://www.fdmc.org.uk/)
HTH
Old 25 Nov 2004, 17:38 (Ref:1164121)   #34
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
meant to add - these venues are not usually open to spectators, so it's best to either offer to marshal or hook up with a competitor for the day.
Old 25 Nov 2004, 21:08 (Ref:1164301)   #35
keith h
Rookie

keith h should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wot HO mr loads.Indeed the jamun will be fit and well for 05!Probably be at shelsley for the may meeting.I still think a 32 is possable in a FF but it will need a realy good car,and a complete nutter driver! ! !
Old 25 Nov 2004, 23:31 (Ref:1164435)   #36
FLoads
Rookie

I say Mr 'Arris, do you mean that there are degrees of nuttiness amongst the drivers ? I thought that you were all mad or should we say you have an adventurous attitude towards speed on narrow uphill roads. The men [and women] in orange may want to comment.
Old 26 Nov 2004, 02:05 (Ref:1164511)   #37
Fireblade
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by FLoads
The men [and women] in orange may want to comment.
They normally do FLoads, unprompted you normally find, lol..
Old 26 Nov 2004, 23:02 (Ref:1165259)   #38
keith h
Rookie

keith h should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wot ho!well mr loads,i look forward to your comments,would these be regarding our driving or boozing capabilty?
Old 27 Nov 2004, 15:06 (Ref:1165667)   #39
FLoads
Rookie

Mr 'Arris. I would not denigrate anyone who drives up the hill at the speeds that they do in whatever car. We are expecting at least 1 second off your times next season. Your boozing capabilities I would guess are such that they give good cheer to your favourite landlords - take care, however, when driving.
The paddock was in a bit of a mess today - full of sh****rs
resting after culling the pheasants.They, fortunately, could not reach the b*****d which was soaring overhead - for those who do not know a pair of these birds nest in the wood behind the members enclosure at SW and are a superb sight.
Old 27 Nov 2004, 17:11 (Ref:1165704)   #40
ranoff
Racer

ranoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
for those who do not know a pair of these birds nest in the wood behind the members enclosure at SW and are a superb sight.
Nice point Mr Loads. These birds are another of the things that set Shelsley apart for me.

This year they fledged 5 chicks and to see the parents and three young flying overhead was a marvellous sight. A couple of seasons back I can recall working at Top Ess exit to the finishing straight on a weekday and switching off the brushcutter then pulling off the ear defenders. Silence! Then one of them burst upwards from the tree canopy with that mewing cry. Fair made the hair on the back of the neck stand on end!

Any similarly spectacular creatures at other venues? Red Kites at Barbon Manor perhaps.
Old 27 Nov 2004, 18:55 (Ref:1165760)   #41
andymfell
Rookie

United Kingdom
cumbria
andymfell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ranoff

red kites are more likely to be seen at Harewood
apparently there was a breeding programme for them a few years ago and several pair still fly around there
havent seen any kites at Barbon

ther are deer and pheasants at barbon and
we have occasional trouble with sheep escaping from nearby fields, they have been known to suspend meeting until rounded up and placed back in field

Barbon Manor park is used for sheep and cattle grazing until fri before meeting and returned back to grazing after all competitors have departed on race day often as spectator ropes are being dismantled

andy
Old 27 Nov 2004, 20:27 (Ref:1165802)   #42
ranoff
Racer

What makes hillclimbing so perfect?

Quote:
red kites are more likely to be seen at Harewood
apparently there was a breeding programme for them a few years ago and several pair still fly around there
havent seen any kites at Barbon....there are deer and pheasants at barbon and we have occasional trouble with sheep escaping from nearby fields
Andy

How I feel about hillclimbing:

Superb surroundings + fast and interesting cars + great characters + good friends + sometimes good weather = The Best of British Motorsport

Downsides, not many, but usually weather or long distance travel related.

Some non racing car highlights - aforementioned wildlife experiences; the view from top of Doune or Prescott; walking Shelsley before 7:00 am on a summers Sunday.

Racing car highlights - Graeme Wight Junior trying to match Adam Fleetwood at Shelsley in June this year; Any ADO run versus Roy Lane; watching the faces of others as Nic Mann fires up the turbine on his Mannic.

To sum up:

My favourite hillclimb?

They All Are!
Old 27 Nov 2004, 21:13 (Ref:1165826)   #43
eastwyke
Rookie

eastwyke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has this site turned into Bill Odie bird watchers weekly or am I missing the point. As for MGDavid's quote I think you will find that the 5 Dec is a Tarmac rally at Longcross for all the brave boys!!! The Geezers will be there in their trusty MK11 Escy.
Old 27 Nov 2004, 22:05 (Ref:1165846)   #44
Fireblade
Racer

Oh Eastwyke. You Phillistine. Its all part of hillclimbing's rich tapestry. Superb locations in most cases and the range of different surroundings. And thats what sets it apart.

But there again those greasers that think that Darley Moor is the height of exotic travel would not understand how us uphill boys feel.
Old 27 Nov 2004, 22:14 (Ref:1165851)   #45
mcb666
Racer

mcb666 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Loton very deer, Harewood very pheasant.
Old 27 Nov 2004, 22:41 (Ref:1165864)   #46
mcb666
Racer

www.joyrainey.net/pheasant.jpg

At Harewood a 'gaggle' of them crossed behind loud cars.

The babies walked on afterwards. Green Cross Code anyone?
Old 27 Nov 2004, 22:53 (Ref:1165871)   #47
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Great picture, Richard. Nice to see one of them passing behind. They usually poke their heads out in front, and I've had the sad experience of clearing up more than a couple.

ranoff, you're spot on with your summary, and it is the fact that hill-climbs are not JUST motorsport that makes it so good. The social activities are second to none, and views that circuits can't even hope to match. I always say that if Shelsley lost it's lease I'd still have to go 3 times a year to look at the view! Even better is the scenery visisble from the back of Gurston's paddock. Britain at its best.

How many months to go?
Old 27 Nov 2004, 23:38 (Ref:1165908)   #48
mcb666
Racer

www.joyrainey.net/img_5141.jpg
Big picture. I like it. Print it, photoshop it. Hopefully enjoy.

Who is going to clean the car then?

I was looking for a picture of scenery at Gurston, when I came across this. It has scenery in the car.

Last edited by mcb666; 27 Nov 2004 at 23:38.
Old 28 Nov 2004, 08:24 (Ref:1166044)   #49
ranoff
Racer

Sutton & Cheam

Quote:
local sprint venues are Longcross (Sutton&Cheam MC - http://www.scmc.co.uk/)
Quote:
As for MGDavid's quote I think you will find that the 5 Dec is a Tarmac rally at Longcross for all the brave boys!!! The Geezers will be there in their trusty MK11 Escy.
Had a look at their website. Very informative. Seems like a good active Motor Club. Any chance of finding us a hill down that way Eastwyke? I reckon the Sutton & Cheam could organise it. Nothing east of Gurston is there. Could do with one in the capital. Up the side of Ally Pally perhaps. Muswell Hillclimb another. Ken Livingstone would love that.

Speed venues a bit thin too. Brighton Madeira Drive and the oldest of all sites at Bexhill on Sea. Any more?
Old 28 Nov 2004, 13:35 (Ref:1166189)   #50
FLoads
Rookie

At last a little humour and extra interest in what makes the various hills different to while away the months until the season starts. I see in the MAC magazine that there is a meeting at Loton on 28/29 March [dates ?]. Is that the first ?
Bob Daysons column gave confirmation of several car changes. What might Simon Durling be thinking of installing his engine into ? What might T and W Mason be going to use next year ?
The new book by Simon Taylor will be, it is announced, available in April but orders can be taken via the SW office - £30 + £5 p&p or collect at the May meeting.