Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Hillclimb and Sprint

Old 25 Dec 2007, 00:09 (Ref:2094643)   #76
TIMELORD
Racer

England
TIMELORD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any more news as to whether or not the 1400 challenge will be held at any events in 2008?

Considering the fact that thus far entries haven’t been high, why not promote the entire Standard Production Class in general, Class 0, S, whatever (Steve Wilkinson makes a valid point in post 44 of this thread, when he says that speed events need standardisation, especially so regarding class structures).

The Standard Prod class provides a wonderful opportunity for people to compete at very little cost: especially attractive for novices, those with a small budget and those without any great technical or mechanical knowledge with which to modify their cars, but who still have a love of motor sport and a desire to compete. I think that the chance to publicise the class and attract newcomers to the sport should embrace all eligible Standard cars, not just those up to 1400cc.

Publicising the class and its attractions in local press, motoring-orientated and other motor sport publications would make people aware of the ease with which they can compete – indeed, virtually “arrive and drive”, no matter what car they have! Interested parties could be provided with carefully prepared guides: i.e. a rundown of the essentials that need to be done to the car, a detailed guide to the MSA regs and a guide to Speed events and how they are run, plus advice on how to prepare and take part in an event, and how to progress in the sport if desired. Their appetites could be truly whetted.

It would be nice to think that, given a little cooperation between the regional MSA associations, regional championships could be organised with a national final held at the end of the year for the leading contenders from each region. Given the standard production nature of the competing cars there should be plenty of motor trade bodies/companies that would like to lend their support to such a national championship – especially if it was promoted in the right way.

By the way...Merry Christmas!
Old 25 Dec 2007, 09:24 (Ref:2094680)   #77
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Structural Suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMELORD
Any more news as to whether or not the 1400 challenge will be held at any events in 2008?

Considering the fact that thus far entries haven’t been high, why not promote the entire Standard Production Class in general, Class 0, S, whatever (Steve Wilkinson makes a valid point in post 44 of this thread, when he says that speed events need standardisation, especially so regarding class structures).

The Standard Prod class provides a wonderful opportunity for people to compete at very little cost: especially attractive for novices, those with a small budget and those without any great technical or mechanical knowledge with which to modify their cars, but who still have a love of motor sport and a desire to compete. I think that the chance to publicise the class and attract newcomers to the sport should embrace all eligible Standard cars, not just those up to 1400cc.

Publicising the class and its attractions in local press, motoring-orientated and other motor sport publications would make people aware of the ease with which they can compete – indeed, virtually “arrive and drive”, no matter what car they have! Interested parties could be provided with carefully prepared guides: i.e. a rundown of the essentials that need to be done to the car, a detailed guide to the MSA regs and a guide to Speed events and how they are run, plus advice on how to prepare and take part in an event, and how to progress in the sport if desired. Their appetites could be truly whetted.

It would be nice to think that, given a little cooperation between the regional MSA associations, regional championships could be organised with a national final held at the end of the year for the leading contenders from each region. Given the standard production nature of the competing cars there should be plenty of motor trade bodies/companies that would like to lend their support to such a national championship – especially if it was promoted in the right way.

By the way...Merry Christmas!
Firstly thanks for spotting my earlier comment on Class Structure.

What I had in mind was a BASIC Standard Structure that defined Categories (i.e. Standard Production; Road Modified; Road Kit-cars; Modified Production; Modified Kit-cars; Rally Cars; Sports Libre; Single Seaters). It would be then up to the regional associations to define the capacity breaks suitable for their own competitor base.

I still think it could work however I doubt that the political will is there to force it through!

Happy Christmas!
Old 26 Dec 2007, 11:23 (Ref:2094953)   #78
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It'd be nice to see it on a wider scale, as far as I know 7oaks MC will still be runing it at our North Weald sprints this year [which is how this discussion all started off].
Old 27 Dec 2007, 22:08 (Ref:2095528)   #79
TIMELORD
Racer

England
TIMELORD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wilkinson
I still think it could work however I doubt that the political will is there to force it through!
What is the cause of the political lethargy? It seems a no-brainer that to simplify the class structure would make the sport easier to understand and follow for a potential newcomer. I think that your idea is a good one. What vested interests would stop anyone agreeing? Am I missing something?
Old 28 Dec 2007, 11:03 (Ref:2095689)   #80
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMELORD
What is the cause of the political lethargy? It seems a no-brainer that to simplify the class structure would make the sport easier to understand and follow for a potential newcomer. I think that your idea is a good one. What vested interests would stop anyone agreeing? Am I missing something?
Any proposal would have to be approved by the Speed Committee and getting the proposal (a) submitted to the Committee, and then (b) accepted would mean peole from various areas agreeing to the changes when they have their own agendas.

Old 28 Dec 2007, 19:11 (Ref:2095903)   #81
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wilkinson
Any proposal would have to be approved by the Speed Committee and getting the proposal (a) submitted to the Committee, and then (b) accepted would mean peole from various areas agreeing to the changes when they have their own agendas.

Everyone has their own agenda sprinty.......Even you I'm sure
Old 4 Jan 2008, 12:01 (Ref:2099222)   #82
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackx
Everyone has their own agenda sprinty.......Even you I'm sure
Quiet right! Trouble is that what would appear to be a sensible compromise will be seen as complete rubbish by someone else. Personally I am with Enzo Ferrari on this one ...............