Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Feb 2021, 13:10 (Ref:4037430)   #2651
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I have yet to see much more on the subject either. I do hope it isn’t true tbh, but surely there is something going on or it wouldn’t be published. But I’ll wait for further verification first
Old 28 Feb 2021, 13:23 (Ref:4037435)   #2652
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
The shooting down of the drone was reported in yesterday’s papers and including the bit about it being inspired by Yemen which makes lots of sense!
Be amazing if this stops the GP as the bombing of Yemen and the odd murder didn’t effect the planning of the event or any of the other major sports including golf which featured the No 1 in the world.
GP,s are held in some very iffy places .
Assume you could now include Texas assuming lights work! Good old Ted C!
Old 28 Feb 2021, 16:03 (Ref:4037456)   #2653
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
but surely there is something going on or it wouldn’t be published. But I’ll wait for further verification first
That depends on who controls the publishing.
In middle east politics, verification is a vague term.
Old 1 Mar 2021, 12:53 (Ref:4037608)   #2654
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
That’s a good point. We really do need a more trusted source before we can confirm it as fact. Otherwise we have a right to assume it’s a dodgy story
Old 1 Mar 2021, 14:08 (Ref:4037636)   #2655
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Sometimes on here??
The drone was on major outlets at weekend.
It will not effect anything.
Old 18 Mar 2021, 11:49 (Ref:4041178)   #2656
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Jeddah street circuit layout revealed

The circuit will feature 27 corners, the most of any event on the 2021 F1 calender, and has the potential to include three DRS zones – although many of the corners will likely be taken flat, so will feel more like straights for the drivers.

At 3.837 miles long, Jeddah will be the second longest track on this year's race calendar, behind Spa Francorchamps at 4.352 miles.

Simulations show average speeds should be around 155mph, making it the fastest street circuit in F1 and among the fastest overall. Currently, Monza holds that distinction, at 164.3mph.
Old 18 Mar 2021, 11:57 (Ref:4041179)   #2657
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

If the teams and drivers had an ounce of morals they would not consider going to Saudi Arabia
Old 18 Mar 2021, 12:10 (Ref:4041184)   #2658
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
If the teams and drivers had an ounce of morals they would not consider going to Saudi Arabia
Old 18 Mar 2021, 13:27 (Ref:4041211)   #2659
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
How many races already run Aramco advertising though?

For better or worse, they are all Saudi races now.

Track looks pretty excellent. Like a dark Suzuka on steroids.
Old 18 Mar 2021, 15:19 (Ref:4041240)   #2660
S griffin
Veteran

Future Grands Prix?

I don’t think they should run with Aramco, but it’s ridiculous to say every race is Arabia race. The circuit looks alright, but not as good as Suzuka
Old 22 Mar 2021, 18:52 (Ref:4042286)   #2661
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It looked like we had a street circuit without a 90deg bend and then I noticed the first corner.

I wonder would that circuit work better clockwise making the first corner a decent passing spot.
Old 25 Mar 2021, 08:52 (Ref:4042878)   #2662
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
If Liberty, FIA or Sir Lewis had any moral fibre then perhaps five or six of this year's events should not run. The human rights records of some of these countries in regard to race, sex, orientation and slavery are dreadful. The issues of BLM pale into insignificance in comparison but of course nothing compares to $$$$$$$$$.
Old 25 Mar 2021, 15:19 (Ref:4042952)   #2663
S griffin
Veteran

Quite frankly there are too many races as it is, we could afford to lose a few. No names no pack drill. Really F1 needs to be careful where it holds F1 races, as money can't compensate for bad publicity
Old 25 Mar 2021, 16:38 (Ref:4042966)   #2664
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I can't exactly put my finger on it. Maybe it's the high speed for a street circuit (higher risk for accidents with no room for error), maybe what looks like limited passing opportunities, but I just have a bad feeling about the Jeddah Street Circuit/Saudi Arabian GP.

Richard
Old 27 Mar 2021, 07:19 (Ref:4043207)   #2665
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
[QUOTE=crmalcolm;4041178]Jeddah street circuit layout revealed

[I]

Human Rights not pictured ....
Old 27 Mar 2021, 17:17 (Ref:4043306)   #2666
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I don’t think they should run with Aramco, but it’s ridiculous to say every race is Arabia race. The circuit looks alright, but not as good as Suzuka

Aramco aren't going away anytime soon. They have the money and F1 have chosen them as a partner.
Old 10 Apr 2021, 14:34 (Ref:4045448)   #2667
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I see a new effort is to be made to hold a GP in Miami Gardens based around the Hard Rock stadium. Apparently measures are to be put in place to reduce noise and monitor air pollution.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/re...vote-/6169883/

I suspect that F1 cars are a lot cleaner than must of the V8 trucks that are to be found in the area. As for noise in recent times there have been complaints about the lack of noise in F1.
Old 10 Apr 2021, 16:24 (Ref:4045464)   #2668
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
post covid, i cant imagine too many cities not wanting to host tourist generating event and i suspect the local homeowners can no longer say no to an additional source of tax revenue...but imo, a big boo on another street race???

even with their miles of run off and tilke drome corners, give me a purpose built venue any day!
Old 10 Apr 2021, 18:00 (Ref:4045480)   #2669
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Does this mean F1 will have a 24 race calendar, or will this race replace a venue whose contract is up?
Old 12 Apr 2021, 02:47 (Ref:4045641)   #2670
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Wouldnt mind seeing sth africa and argentina back on the map.. and maybe a scandinavian or nordic race in summer or iceland
Old 12 Apr 2021, 06:09 (Ref:4045650)   #2671
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
Wouldnt mind seeing sth africa and argentina back on the map.. and maybe a scandinavian or nordic race in summer or iceland
I could not agree more. Races should be held in places with racing heritage and enthusiasm . So a race in Finland, Sweden , Denmark and/or Norway; Argentina (as of old ) and South Africa (ditto ) would be hugely well supported and atmospheric .

I can just about cope with the disappointment of having to sacrifice races in such hotbeds of racing heritage as China , Abu Dhabi and Azerbaijan to accommodate them ...
Old 12 Apr 2021, 15:18 (Ref:4045710)   #2672
S griffin
Veteran

Would love a GP in the Nordic region. There has been talk of a street circuit in Denmark. And yes it would be so much better than Baku and Abu Dhabi
Old 12 Apr 2021, 21:17 (Ref:4045746)   #2673
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Does this mean F1 will have a 24 race calendar, or will this race replace a venue whose contract is up?
i suspect as many races as possible going forward for at least the next couple of years.

a lot of lost revenue in 2020 (and possibly for 2021) to make up for by both FOM and the teams.
Old 15 Apr 2021, 12:10 (Ref:4046078)   #2674
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
In actual fact now to counter that shortfall and to boost the tourism industry the advertising is now very much being aimed at locals/residents.... reinforcing a message along the lines of 'Australia has so much within itself we dont need to go overseas'.

All sorts of local packages are being advertised to ensure that Aussies still go on holidays but do it internally. And in safety (in Covid terms.)

The Government have also come to the party with a "we'll pay half your (discount) airfare" to locals flying interstate for holiday purposes.

As an aside I believe the local caravan industry is having a good time with sales having a mini-boom. I guess also the same for Motorhome sales and rentals as people seek to pursue local touring holidays.
Just a question and putting covid aside, how many GPs can survive as purley local events attended exclusively by local attendees?

Foreign tourists bring in new money and sales taxes where as locals, to a larger extent, are spending money and paying sales tax that they would have otherwise spent locally even if the GP didnt happen...locals are not a new revenue source if you will.

The various branches of government who support the Montreal GP, for example, do so because they 'claim' tourists are bringing in new money and new tax revenue.

Imo Montreal could not afford the race without govt help and that help wont come (or at least much harder to justify) without that large number of foreign tourists bringing their money in.

I would think Melbourne in this same catagory?
Old 15 Apr 2021, 17:06 (Ref:4046117)   #2675
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I know that a lot of Brits want to go abroad in search of better weather but putting that aside we have some wonderful places to visit much nearer home. Plus, our more local economies could really do with the income after everything having been practically closed down for over 12 months.
Fully agreed. During mid '80s (1983 or '85) we could travel abroad with a very limited amount of money to spend outside of the country. We had a "money passport" in fact a blue carnet which had to be stamped at each border. The allowed amount was so low that we spent holidays visiting and re-discovering our own country.

As to a GP finding its break even point with foreign venues I wonder. Is it a reason or an excuse? The same reasoning applies in the case of OG I guess.