Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Apr 2021, 14:40 (Ref:4048708)   #2701
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Saint Petersburg F1 race “is going to be mega” – Kvyat

The Igora Drive circuit near Saint Petersburg has been tipped to take over from Sochi Autodrom as the home of the Russian Grand Prix.

FIA licenses Igora Drive racing track near St. Petersburg to host F1 Grands Prix
The International Automobile Federation (FIA) has issued a license for the Igora Drive circuit outside the country’s second largest city of St. Petersburg, acknowledging the track as suitable for hosting Formula One races, the press service of Igora Drive said in a statement on Wednesday.

Just looking at the aerial shot, I thought Tilkedrome. I subsequently read the TASS article and low and behold it says: ''The Igora Drive was designed by Hermann Tilke''.

I think St. Petersburg in Florida might very well produce a better race, but we can dream.

Old 30 Apr 2021, 14:47 (Ref:4048709)   #2702
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I think St. Petersburg in Florida might very well produce a better race, but we can dream.

Could the F1 world cope with two St. Petersburg races in different countries?

Could they be billed as the great East vs West battle of venues?

I think the Russian St. Petersburg is closer to being an F1 option than the American course due to FIA grading.
Old 30 Apr 2021, 15:40 (Ref:4048717)   #2703
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Could the F1 world cope with two St. Petersburg races in different countries?

Could they be billed as the great East vs West battle of venues?

I think the Russian St. Petersburg is closer to being an F1 option than the American course due to FIA grading.

Those are some interesting marketing ideas but in all seriousness you're right about the FIA's grading. The US course would never meet their exacting standards. Shame, as I think St. Pete is more interesting than a Tilkedrome.
Old 30 Apr 2021, 17:41 (Ref:4048769)   #2704
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Bell Canada, the telco that owns F1 broadcaster TSN, bought Canadian Grand Prix promoter Octane.
Old 30 Apr 2021, 17:50 (Ref:4048777)   #2705
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Those are some interesting marketing ideas but in all seriousness you're right about the FIA's grading. The US course would never meet their exacting standards. Shame, as I think St. Pete is more interesting than a Tilkedrome.

Also I don’t think F1 sees it as an ideal location for an American race like Austin or Miami or New Jersey
Old 30 Apr 2021, 18:02 (Ref:4048784)   #2706
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Also I don’t think F1 sees it as an ideal location for an American race like Austin or Miami or New Jersey
An hour from Tampa and Clearwater. Why wouldn’t F1 want that?...
Old 30 Apr 2021, 18:44 (Ref:4048795)   #2707
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:

New Jersey never happened and that was largely due to location.
Old 30 Apr 2021, 18:48 (Ref:4048796)   #2708
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I know, but at least it made the calendar twice, so it was a serious consideration
Old 30 Apr 2021, 18:56 (Ref:4048798)   #2709
el_cat
Racer

el_cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always thought an Igora Drive/KymiRing would make a nice double header; they are only about 3hrs drive apart
Old 30 Apr 2021, 19:02 (Ref:4048801)   #2710
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
I know, but at least it made the calendar twice, so it was a serious consideration

It was a pipe-dream Bernie had, which started in 1983.
Old 30 Apr 2021, 19:16 (Ref:4048803)   #2711
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
IIRC - the proposed race(s) at Flushing Meadow made it onto the official calendar from '83-'85. The proposed New Jersey circuit at Port Imperial only made it onto the calendar once in 2013, and then was only ever a provisional for 2014?
Old 30 Apr 2021, 19:43 (Ref:4048808)   #2712
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
IIRC - the proposed race(s) at Flushing Meadow made it onto the official calendar from '83-'85. The proposed New Jersey circuit at Port Imperial only made it onto the calendar once in 2013, and then was only ever a provisional for 2014?

I remember the 1983 Flushing Meadow race suddenly being cancelled, with Brands Hatch stepping in with the European Grand Prix, which I went to but I don't remember Flushing Meadow reappearing on the calendar for '84 and '85.
Old 30 Apr 2021, 19:58 (Ref:4048811)   #2713
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
I remember the 1983 Flushing Meadow race suddenly being cancelled, with Brands Hatch stepping in with the European Grand Prix, which I went to but I don't remember Flushing Meadow reappearing on the calendar for '84 and '85.
According to motorsport magazine:

The races that never happened

'Yet for three years in a row, from 1983 to ’85, one got so far as the F1 calendar.'

RacingCalendar.net also list it as having been on the 1985 schedule:

7 APR Suzuka International Racing Course, Japan
Cancelled Japanese Grand Prix
23 JUN Dallas Fair Park, United States
Cancelled Dallas Grand Prix
22 SEP Népliget Park, Hungary
Cancelled Hungarian Grand Prix
23 SEP Flushing Meadows–Corona Park, United States
Cancelled New York Grand Prix
13 OCT Circuito dell'EUR, Italy
Cancelled Rome Grand Prix
13 OCT Fuengirola street circuit, Spain
Cancelled Spanish Grand Prix

Which if accurate, means that Queens has been a more likely venue than New Jersey?
Old 30 Apr 2021, 20:36 (Ref:4048813)   #2714
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
According to motorsport magazine:

The races that never happened

'Yet for three years in a row, from 1983 to ’85, one got so far as the F1 calendar.'

RacingCalendar.net also list it as having been on the 1985 schedule:

7 APR Suzuka International Racing Course, Japan
Cancelled Japanese Grand Prix
23 JUN Dallas Fair Park, United States
Cancelled Dallas Grand Prix
22 SEP Népliget Park, Hungary
Cancelled Hungarian Grand Prix
23 SEP Flushing Meadows–Corona Park, United States
Cancelled New York Grand Prix
13 OCT Circuito dell'EUR, Italy
Cancelled Rome Grand Prix
13 OCT Fuengirola street circuit, Spain
Cancelled Spanish Grand Prix

Which if accurate, means that Queens has been a more likely venue than New Jersey?

Thanks for that.

New Jersey hosted the Meadowlands Grand Prix during the CART era from 1984 - 1991.
Old 30 Apr 2021, 21:31 (Ref:4048821)   #2715
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
It was a pipe-dream Bernie had, which started in 1983.

No I was talking about the New Jersey GP that appeared on the calendar in 2013-14, but never happened. And the point I was making was why St Petersberg, Florida has never been considered as a GP, compared to others
Old 30 Apr 2021, 23:40 (Ref:4048832)   #2716
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
No I was talking about the New Jersey GP that appeared on the calendar in 2013-14, but never happened. And the point I was making was why St Petersberg, Florida has never been considered as a GP, compared to others
It's not FIA grade 1 or long enough?
Old 30 Apr 2021, 23:41 (Ref:4048833)   #2717
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Just looking at the aerial shot, I thought Tilkedrome. I subsequently read the TASS article and low and behold it says: ''The Igora Drive was designed by Hermann Tilke''.

The layout looks quite short?
Old 1 May 2021, 00:03 (Ref:4048836)   #2718
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
The layout looks quite short?
4.005 km - so a bit shorter than Estoril, a bit longer than Valencia.
Old 1 May 2021, 13:30 (Ref:4048997)   #2719
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:

I know you were and as I said it was a pipe-dream which Bernie had back in 1983, of holding an F1 GP with the Manhattan skyline as a backdrop, which nearly came to fruition in 2013.

As others have previously pointed out St Petersberg FL, has never been considered as a GP, because it would never comply with the FIA's exacting track grading for an F1 GP.
Old 9 May 2021, 06:20 (Ref:4050438)   #2720
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Layout looks quite short ? Spelling mistake ?
Old 9 May 2021, 10:50 (Ref:4050474)   #2721
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
Layout looks quite short ? Spelling mistake ?
Lol!
Old 14 May 2021, 09:52 (Ref:4051609)   #2722
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So Toto Wolfe is calling for a London Grand Prix? And who exactly would fund this? Maybe in his Gold plated World he hasn't noticed that Citys like London are on their knees and it will take years to recover TFL alone has a bigger debt than some Countries!The "creative" accounting showing £illions flowing in is tosh. A purpose built track like Silverstone struggles let alone Central London. Nice idea but just fantasy
Old 14 May 2021, 10:41 (Ref:4051616)   #2723
S griffin
Veteran

The London Grand Prix idea has been floated around for years, but it’s never happened and I can’t see any reason why that would change
Old 14 May 2021, 10:54 (Ref:4051621)   #2724
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
The London Grand Prix idea has been floated around for years, but it’s never happened and I can’t see any reason why that would change
It might not appear to be any more likely now than it has in the past - but there is one difference:

'Sadiq Khan wants to push ahead with his ambition of making London the sporting capital of the world during his second term as Mayor with aspirations for big events, including the Olympics returning as early as 2036.'
Old 14 May 2021, 11:39 (Ref:4051626)   #2725
S griffin
Veteran

Yes, but that doesn’t mean F1 is on his radar. The only person mentioning a London GP is Toto