Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 1 May 2017, 01:15 (Ref:3730224)   #51
jjvincent
Racer

jjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by merak1974 View Post
Yes, great race! A Panoz on 3rd; when was the last time a Panoz was on the podium in a major race?! ... and that Maserati GT4 driven by Courtney really flies
Panoz got stripped of their podium.
http://sportscar365.com/world-challe...-race-protest/
Old 1 May 2017, 01:26 (Ref:3730227)   #52
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvincent View Post
Man, no shortage of action this weekend.
Old 1 May 2017, 02:24 (Ref:3730237)   #53
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvincent View Post
This is complete B-S! That Camaro was weaving all over the back straight blocking the Panoz on the last lap. If anyone deserves a penalty for unsportsmanly driving it is Aschenbach. Personally, I think that it was just good hard racing, battling for a podium spot on the last lap of a race.
Aschenbach had a good solid points weekend, while His main antagonists faltered. You would think that He would have been happy with that.
Not impressed, Mr Aschenbach.
Old 1 May 2017, 03:10 (Ref:3730242)   #54
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Photos from Saturday's PWC @ VIR

Here are some photos from Saturday'S PWC @ VIR.

Pirelli World Challenge @ VIR gallery

Old 1 May 2017, 05:31 (Ref:3730257)   #55
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like all the VIR races are on YouTube now
Old 1 May 2017, 16:07 (Ref:3730387)   #56
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRspitfirefan View Post
This is complete B-S! That Camaro was weaving all over the back straight blocking the Panoz on the last lap. If anyone deserves a penalty for unsportsmanly driving it is Aschenbach. Personally, I think that it was just good hard racing, battling for a podium spot on the last lap of a race.
Aschenbach had a good solid points weekend, while His main antagonists faltered. You would think that He would have been happy with that.
Not impressed, Mr Aschenbach.
Here's the clip of the last lap with the battle for 3rd spot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKGtQpwdeYE

The weaving looks "pro-active" to me, i.e. Aschenbach started the changing of the lane - which he did several times - and James shadowed him. This is allowed, unlike when you respond to a lane change from car directly behind you. The contact James made going into 14 to unsettle the Camaro so he could pull aside and ultimately ahead was deemed unfair [it's contact made with an advantage gained (swap of positions)], hence the penalty. Makes sense to me.
Old 1 May 2017, 16:15 (Ref:3730389)   #57
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Camaro was borderline, but he was just trying to break the tow rather than properly block. If he was trying to block then he'd have done it into the braking zone. The Panoz just pushed him out the way.

That penalty seems legit tbh.
Old 1 May 2017, 17:05 (Ref:3730404)   #58
JLGarcia
Racer

JLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJLGarcia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post

That penalty seems legit tbh.
If Mancinelli punting Kaffer warranted no action, this certainly should not have been a penalty.
Old 1 May 2017, 17:26 (Ref:3730409)   #59
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Here's the clip of the last lap with the battle for 3rd spot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKGtQpwdeYE

The weaving looks "pro-active" to me, i.e. Aschenbach started the changing of the lane - which he did several times - and James shadowed him. This is allowed, unlike when you respond to a lane change from car directly behind you. The contact James made going into 14 to unsettle the Camaro so he could pull aside and ultimately ahead was deemed unfair [it's contact made with an advantage gained (swap of positions)], hence the penalty. Makes sense to me.
Hard for me to say for sure, but it is possible the Camero parked it a bit going into the corner to purposely slow the Panoz. Or maybe the braking points for each car are different and James just cut it too close.
Old 1 May 2017, 18:04 (Ref:3730411)   #60
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLGarcia View Post
If Mancinelli punting Kaffer warranted no action, this certainly should not have been a penalty.
I haven't seen that one yet but every incident should be judged on its own, not in reference to other ones.

But I agree, consistency from race officials is a must so it seems there's some room for improvement at least.
Old 1 May 2017, 18:44 (Ref:3730416)   #61
Coach Ep
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Hard for me to say for sure, but it is possible the Camero parked it a bit going into the corner to purposely slow the Panoz. Or maybe the braking points for each car are different and James just cut it too close.
It didn't look like that to me but data from both cars could answer that question. Also, when I'm on a corner (marshaling), I would have witnessed both cars getting in the braking zone for the corner numerous times - a late or early braking attempt would most probably been very noticeable.
Old 1 May 2017, 19:04 (Ref:3730422)   #62
Coach Ep
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLGarcia View Post
*sorry, it was too late to edit my original post regarding your quote so I had to it like this*

You're referring to this incident I presume: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHqptyKnFBA

Edit: doing more reviewing...

Last edited by Coach Ep; 1 May 2017 at 19:11.
Old 2 May 2017, 06:39 (Ref:3730487)   #63
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ugh, i think they removed all the last weekend race off from youtube.

Guess it was a mistake...
Old 2 May 2017, 14:38 (Ref:3730572)   #64
Coach Ep
Veteran

Damn...
Old 2 May 2017, 17:24 (Ref:3730592)   #65
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Johnny O's Sportscar365 debrief is pretty informative:
http://sportscar365.com/features/com...l-vir-debrief/
Old 2 May 2017, 18:28 (Ref:3730603)   #66
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
None of this adds up.

http://sportscar365.com/world-challe...-timing-error/

http://sportscar365.com/world-challe...ace-1-results/

Timeline:

Race 1 happens
Teams penalised during race for pit stop violation.
Engineers investigate and discover an error
PWC acknowledges error, will adjust results and adjusts pit stop times for Race 2
Race 2 happens
PWC announces there was no error, and Race 1 will not be adjusted.

So was there an error or wasn't there?
Old 2 May 2017, 19:00 (Ref:3730613)   #67
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

I disagree. Aschenbach should have hit him harder in the following corner. Weaving = bump in my mind. That was a great race ruined retroactively.

Thanks for the link!
Old 3 May 2017, 13:07 (Ref:3730748)   #68
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
None of this adds up.

Timeline:

Race 1 happens
PWC acknowledges error, will adjust results and adjusts pit stop times for Race 2
Race 2 happens

I gave up trying to make sense of this weekend.
Old 3 May 2017, 14:30 (Ref:3730758)   #69
Coach Ep
Veteran

Quote:
None of this adds up.

Timeline:

Race 1 happens
Race 2 happens

Yes
No
whatever

If I was a entrant/sponsor I would be pretty ****ed by the amateur way of things by PWC on this issue. And it's not the first time either. I'm not sure it's really any better in another series however but come on PWC folks: get your act together!
Old 3 May 2017, 19:37 (Ref:3730818)   #70
jjvincent
Racer

jjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yes
No
whatever

If I was a entrant/sponsor I would be pretty ****ed by the amateur way of things by PWC on this issue. And it's not the first time either. I'm not sure it's really any better in another series however but come on PWC folks: get your act together!
What else is amazing is they have had timed pit stops at VIR for years for the 13hr race (plus many of the pit stops are at night). In addition to that, Chumpcar races. How PWC couldn't get it right, is beyond me.
Old 4 May 2017, 14:26 (Ref:3731008)   #71
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
None of this adds up.

Timeline:

Race 1 happens
Race 2 happens

There was an error, but the FCY between the penalties being taken and the finish of the race made it so they couldn't figure out a fair way to score the race so they just left it.

At least that's what I'm going with.
Old 4 May 2017, 19:14 (Ref:3731068)   #72
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
There was an error, but the FCY between the penalties being taken and the finish of the race made it so they couldn't figure out a fair way to score the race so they just left it.

At least that's what I'm going with.
Too bad I was not able to watch the PWC race at Virginia Int'l. But I was able to still see online streaming of International GT Open and ADAC GT Masters. And they run guess what...60 minute races! So yeah I'm not desperate to see PWC if they won't make their content available without the subscription.
Old 4 May 2017, 19:22 (Ref:3731073)   #73
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
I watched both races for free and live on the Motor Trend website.
Old 4 May 2017, 19:23 (Ref:3731074)   #74
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
nasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Too bad I was not able to watch the PWC race at Virginia Int'l. But I was able to still see online streaming of International GT Open and ADAC GT Masters. And they run guess what...60 minute races! So yeah I'm not desperate to see PWC if they won't make their content available without the subscription.
When the live stream is available, it's free on their website and MTOD. But if you're just talking about watching on-demand, then yes, you do need the subscription