Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 8 Jul 2011, 20:28 (Ref:2923912)   #101
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kane's close, he could pull this off.
Old 8 Jul 2011, 20:29 (Ref:2923913)   #102
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That 2nd Dyson car has a nice livery.
Old 8 Jul 2011, 20:32 (Ref:2923914)   #103
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Klaus is one hell of a driver, incredible pushing in the corners.
Old 8 Jul 2011, 20:36 (Ref:2923918)   #104
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So Chris (spinning out) and Klaus (locked up) will have to start on the same tires? That should make for an interesting start.
Old 8 Jul 2011, 20:36 (Ref:2923919)   #105
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Audi Racer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
That 2nd Dyson car has a nice livery.
second that
Old 8 Jul 2011, 20:37 (Ref:2923921)   #106
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
So Chris (spinning out) and Klaus (locked up) will have to start on the same tires? That should make for an interesting start.
Chris came back out after that, so I think his tires are fine. Don't know why Chris came back out though, they had pole, and all they are doing is running life off of the tires.
Old 8 Jul 2011, 20:37 (Ref:2923922)   #107
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgRS View Post
I don't see why everyone gives Chris any grief about not being a very good driver - he seems to be able to keep it pretty quick. Either way the Mazda turbos sound really nice - very aggressive.
Chris has been pretty fast today. He was good enough for pole, I don't think anyone can complain. He was quite slow at Long Beach though.

I hope that spin did not hurt his tires, but I think it will be ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Klaus is one hell of a driver, incredible pushing in the corners.
That Aston looked scary on almost every lap. I wonder why they did not put on maximum downforce to begin with.
Old 8 Jul 2011, 20:40 (Ref:2923923)   #108
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
Chris has been pretty fast today. He was good enough for pole, I don't think anyone can complain. He was quite slow at Long Beach though.

I hope that spin did not hurt his tires, but I think it will be ok.

That Aston looked scary on almost every lap. I wonder why they did not put on maximum downforce to begin with.
I thought Klaus was going to crash about 7 times! The car doesnt seem to like the circuit in its current setup, although the Aston is usually a better race car than the Dyson, plus judging by races like Road America last year or Long Beach, Muscle Milk seems to be a little better than Dyson on race strategy.

Great job by Steven as well.
Old 8 Jul 2011, 20:41 (Ref:2923925)   #109
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
You also wonder whether Pickett's guys gave something up at a track like this going from a full-on P2 to a car that started as a full-on P1. I would guess that the Dysons will have an edge in agility, and the Aston can't really take advantage of its power, or particularly, of its torque.
Old 8 Jul 2011, 20:44 (Ref:2923928)   #110
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
A Lola Aston has never raced at Lime Rock, so it is a bit of a new experience.

Also, the announcers mentioned that the 16 car has lengthened its wheelbase, was that just to fit into the P1 bodywork?
Old 8 Jul 2011, 20:45 (Ref:2923929)   #111
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
interesting..........Dunlop tires on the GTE and LMP1 pole sitters.......Perhaps the dunlop tires are better suited to the (just dried track conditions)..........hence the large gap between the BMw's on dunlops and the rest of the GTE's on Michelins....its a very real possibility........say what you want about BMW restrictors but Dunlop tires in GTE have been looking really good this year (more life than the Michelins at Imola and Lemans)(BMW;s and the rob bell ferrari double stinting at imola)...
Old 8 Jul 2011, 20:50 (Ref:2923933)   #112
AGD
Veteran

I'm not too concerned about Cytosport for tomorrow. They weren't that far off the pole even with those scary laps.

We'll have to see what the fellow from Abu Dhabi can do. I'm sure his pace will prevent that car from competing for the win, but maybe Kane can rescue the effort if he can keep it close enough and there is a FCY.
Old 8 Jul 2011, 20:51 (Ref:2923934)   #113
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Really exciting qualifying sessions. That 20 Oryx-Dyson Racing Lola looks really good. I'm also interested to hear about the 16 car having a lengthened wheel base. Perhaps that is just a result of the spares that were available after the fire last(?) year.

Chris
Old 8 Jul 2011, 20:53 (Ref:2923936)   #114
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi Racer View Post
interesting..........Dunlop tires on the GTE and LMP1 pole sitters.......Perhaps the dunlop tires are better suited to the (just dried track conditions)..........hence the large gap between the BMw's on dunlops and the rest of the GTE's on Michelins....its a very real possibility........say what you want about BMW restrictors but Dunlop tires in GTE have been looking really good this year (more life than the Michelins at Imola and Lemans)(BMW;s and the rob bell ferrari double stinting at imola)...
Dunlop has some very good tires right now. 1-2 in both of the classes they are competing in, how can one argue against that?

David Phillips had an article a few weeks back talking about Cytosport and they were saying they were having some trouble putting heat into their tires because they were designed for diesels or something like that. Maybe the Michelins just don't work well for the petrol runners, who knows.

Here is the quote:

Quote:
"Michelin has done a great job with the tires," Pickett said. "Honestly, one of our problems with the P1 tire is the Peugeots and the Audis, with all their power, are so difficult on tires. So this car, without the power it's had in past years, it's hard to get heat in the tires we'd like. But Michelin is working very closely with us and I think we're making a lot of progress in that regard.
http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/racing...ory?id=6682465

Last edited by AGD; 8 Jul 2011 at 21:06.
Old 9 Jul 2011, 02:02 (Ref:2924007)   #115
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Also, the announcers mentioned that the 16 car has lengthened its wheelbase, was that just to fit into the P1 bodywork?
Dagys has more on Dyson's upgrades.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/alms-lime-rock-notebook/P1
Old 9 Jul 2011, 04:37 (Ref:2924021)   #116
Duff_44
Racer

United States
Bristol, CT
Duff_44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This might be nothing, but at the track today I noticed the #16 and #20 had slightly different exhaust notes.

The #16 was more "gravelly" sounding while the #20 was more of a "whistle"/turbo sound. Maybe they different exhaust layouts due to the longer wheelbase?
Old 9 Jul 2011, 05:22 (Ref:2924025)   #117
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff_44 View Post
This might be nothing, but at the track today I noticed the #16 and #20 had slightly different exhaust notes.

The #16 was more "gravelly" sounding while the #20 was more of a "whistle"/turbo sound. Maybe they different exhaust layouts due to the longer wheelbase?
Yeah..during the qualy stream they mention something about the longer wheelbase being related to the turbo cooling?So theoretically they might have lengthened some of the pipes which would make a different sound?
Old 9 Jul 2011, 06:00 (Ref:2924028)   #118
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Just got back a little while ago. The Aston is without a doubt the best sounding racecar I have ever heard.
Old 9 Jul 2011, 10:44 (Ref:2924089)   #119
AUSRSR
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
AUSRSR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Just got back a little while ago. The Aston is without a doubt the best sounding racecar I have ever heard.
Shame I'll never get to hear it in real life

How piercing is the sound? Say compared to an F1 car?
Old 9 Jul 2011, 11:50 (Ref:2924114)   #120
Danny_GT2
Veteran

Ireland
Lucan, Ireland
Danny_GT2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like the P1 battle will be interesting! GT it seems is dominated by BMW atm & with an 8 tenths gap between 2nd & 3rd, it looks like they'll take the win! Hope I can watch this, if not live I have a user on justin.tv who has them recorded!
Old 9 Jul 2011, 12:32 (Ref:2924120)   #121
tux1234
Racer

tux1234 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a reminder for those with Motors Tv they are showing the remaining races live (maybe not Petit).
Old 9 Jul 2011, 12:32 (Ref:2924121)   #122
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSRSR View Post
Shame I'll never get to hear it in real life

How piercing is the sound? Say compared to an F1 car?
I've never heard an F1 car in person, so I couldn't tell you. You could hear the car all the way around the track though.
Old 9 Jul 2011, 13:24 (Ref:2924129)   #123
bolderer
Rookie

United States
Chattanooga
bolderer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_GT2 View Post
Looks like the P1 battle will be interesting! GT it seems is dominated by BMW atm & with an 8 tenths gap between 2nd & 3rd, it looks like they'll take the win! Hope I can watch this, if not live I have a user on justin.tv who has them recorded!
Is ESPN3 unavailable in Europe?
Old 9 Jul 2011, 13:47 (Ref:2924135)   #124
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
I noticed on the official ALMS qualifying report that the lap record was broken for all classes. I think that is pretty amazing that the P1 record was broken, but I assume the track layout has something to do with it.
Old 9 Jul 2011, 14:05 (Ref:2924140)   #125
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I noticed on the official ALMS qualifying report that the lap record was broken for all classes. I think that is pretty amazing that the P1 record was broken, but I assume the track layout has something to do with it.
Its a new layout that has never been used before, there was no track records to break.