Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 1 Sep 2008, 09:25 (Ref:2279237)   #1
rallymj
Rookie

rallymj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rally Licensce....eyes

Hi hopefully someone can help me,

I want to start stage rallying. but am a bit confused with regards to eye requirements. I have a condition in one eye called kerataconus which basically means when i look only through the infected eye it is just blurred, but when i use both eyes normally my sight is fine and a lot better than some people i know!

Does anyone know what the MSA require? do they ask for proof? Do they require both eyes are checked independently?

Apologies for the length of questions just i don't want to spend money for a bars test etc and find out i can't compete.
Old 1 Sep 2008, 11:43 (Ref:2279332)   #2
silver bullet
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi rallymj and welcome to Ten-Tenths.

This is the relevant section taken from the Online MSA Blue Book
Quote:
• The following eyesight standards are required to be
met by applicants for a national licence.
Applicants for International Licences please refer to
FIA Standards, www.fia.com (Appendix L).
(a) Minimum corrected visual acuity must be 6/6
with both eyes open.
(b) Minimum binocular field should measure
at least 120 degrees along the horizontal
meridian with no defects within the central
20 degrees.
(c) Spectacles should be fitted with shatterproof
lenses. Contact lenses if worn should be of the
‘soft’ variety.
(d) A person who suddenly loses sight in one eye
will not be allowed to hold a licence until five years
has lapsed.
(e) Double vision is not compatible with the issue of
a Competition Licence.
(f) Drivers must have normal colour vision in that
they can distinguish the primary colours of red and
green.
It used to be both eyes were checked independently, but now it's both eyes open.
This will be checked when you have your medical, and they may request a report from your Doctor.
Old 1 Sep 2008, 12:48 (Ref:2279359)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallymj
Hi hopefully someone can help me,

I want to start stage rallying. but am a bit confused with regards to eye requirements. I have a condition in one eye called kerataconus which basically means when i look only through the infected eye it is just blurred, but when i use both eyes normally my sight is fine and a lot better than some people i know!

Does anyone know what the MSA require? do they ask for proof? Do they require both eyes are checked independently?

Apologies for the length of questions just i don't want to spend money for a bars test etc and find out i can't compete.
FWIW, I understand that your condition is likened to an astigmatism, in which case I suffer from that (astigmatism) and I've got an International race licence.
Old 1 Sep 2008, 19:27 (Ref:2279663)   #4
rallymj
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
FWIW, I understand that your condition is likened to an astigmatism, in which case I suffer from that (astigmatism) and I've got an International race licence.
Hi Peter, sounds the same blurred vision etc. Did you have any problems getting your licensce with your condition? also if i require a eye test is it done by a MSA optician?

Thanks for all your help so far...
Old 1 Sep 2008, 19:41 (Ref:2279674)   #5
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallymj
.......also if i require a eye test is it done by a MSA optician?
see the reply 2 posts back:-

"This will be checked when you have your medical, "
and the medical is usually done by your GP.
Old 1 Sep 2008, 21:43 (Ref:2279756)   #6
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I never thought I would get a Licence. I`m very short sighted and have to where Hard Contact Lenses, and the rules state soft should be worn. But I got a letter from my optician explaining the situation and enclosed it with my application. I too have one eye with poorer vision, but together my vision is okay, and thats whats tested. Mine was for a race licence.

Please try for a licence, as for years I thought I could never get licence. I really regret not trying earlier.
Old 2 Sep 2008, 01:26 (Ref:2279842)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
SB has covered my reply.
Old 3 Sep 2008, 11:55 (Ref:2280755)   #8
rallymj
Rookie

Thanks all for your replies!

Good to now i'm not the only one, - going to book my Bars ASAP
Old 15 Sep 2008, 12:07 (Ref:2290822)   #9
Road Rally
Racer

England
Lancashire
Road Rally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
kerataconus can be corrected with contact lenses in the past it used to using rigid gas permable lenses to in effect flatten your conical shaped cornea, now soft ones are used one is called Kerasoft, ask your optician to look into it for you.

No medical required for a Nat B or A licence just International unless you are over a certain age AFAIK.