Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 31 Oct 2013, 09:56 (Ref:3325446)   #1
MaxxUK
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
MaxxUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
100 overtakes, 2 crashes, Birkett 6Hr Relay 2013

If you enjoy onboard race videos you might like, it really is all action highlights from my first stint in this years Birkett 6Hr Relay. It's long, 28mins and I did think hardly anyone would watch it all and not find it as engrossing as I did but lots have so thought i'd share it here.

If you don't watch any more it's worth watching the first 3/4 lap, up to the 3 car collision at 2:10, you might also want to check the last 20 secs to see me get my revenge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wzIWCEIvAc

This is the car I was driving :-

Malcolm
Old 31 Oct 2013, 13:28 (Ref:3325514)   #2
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Just what we need on track, an over sized ego and road rage.
Old 4 Nov 2013, 02:19 (Ref:3326811)   #3
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Just what we need on track, an over sized ego and road rage.
I don't see much wrong, not the best driver in the world but then again neither are you!
Old 4 Nov 2013, 20:29 (Ref:3327174)   #4
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
I don't see much wrong, not the best driver in the world but then again neither are you!
So waiting deliberately for almost the whole of a stint in a race for Clubmen to redress a slight which you imagine another competitor has inflicted upon you earlier, is OK, is it? The unwarranted sleight against Tim Falce is especially pathetic, and serves only to further diminish whatever little merit there might have been in your original argument.

But for the basic Forum etiquette of "Attack the post, not the poster", to which you have paid cavalier disregard, I would have had a great deal more to say about your posting....
Old 5 Nov 2013, 02:15 (Ref:3327341)   #5
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Brown View Post
So waiting deliberately for almost the whole of a stint in a race for Clubmen to redress a slight which you imagine another competitor has inflicted upon you earlier, is OK, is it? The unwarranted sleight against Tim Falce is especially pathetic, and serves only to further diminish whatever little merit there might have been in your original argument.

But for the basic Forum etiquette of "Attack the post, not the poster", to which you have paid cavalier disregard, I would have had a great deal more to say about your posting....
Don't get your knickers in a twist. Assuming someone isn't the greatest driver in the world isn't an insult. You may wish to seek comprehension lessons my friend.
Old 5 Nov 2013, 08:11 (Ref:3327395)   #6
MaxxUK
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
Had to double-check the header here just to make sure it wasn't Pistonheads!

I wasn't sure who Tim was talking about when I initially read his post, seems he meant me!

Seems he may be incapable of recognising entertainment and PR. If I was looking to publicise my prowess as a race driver I would have posted in the racers forum. But instead I post here, in a forum for those who by reading this section are interested in visual entertainment.

If the video is not entertaining then fine, you may post your displeasure.

You see I am an entertainer first, and was long before I got into Motorsport. I spent a good few hours putting that together for the enjoyment of my 2.677 Youtube subscribers. That's not ego talking, that's just fact, as is over 1,000,000 views on my channel, as is over 500 views of that video (1 of which is yours - thanks), as is 17 likes and no dislikes.

Also, as is the fact that I explicitly disallow ads to run alongside my videos and as is the fact that despite "potential" earnings of up to £4,400 (source: socialblade) I am not going to monetize my channel.

So, what's the road rage thing all about? and what was your fellow grump Clive Brown on about. "So waiting deliberately for almost the whole of a stint in a race for Clubmen to redress a slight which you imagine another competitor has inflicted upon you earlier, is OK, is it? "

I can assure you I did not wait for even a tenth during my stint to redress anything, I went as fast as I could for every second of my stint, I thought that was the way all this racing stuff worked. It was just fortunate that I came across him again on my last lap and, as he was slow in this section was able to make a clean pass.

So, I "imagined" that he had cut across me on lap 1, pushed my into a Caterham, who it looked like had to pull off did I, well it's in the video for all to see. It could have been much worse, there were 20 cars close behind us doing 80mph+. The guy was an idiot and dangerous and when I caught him mid-stint he also proceeded to block/push me off the circuit. I would have had no trouble returning the favor and giving him a return clout but it's not the way I go racing and IMO there is no place for this on track.

And to "thetool", I have no problem with you suggesting I am not the greatest racing driver in the world and really can't see Clive Browns problem with your post suggesting that Tim may not be either.

Seems this post has had 282 views so I would imagine most found the video entertaining and took it in the manner it was intended.

Malcolm
Old 5 Nov 2013, 08:42 (Ref:3327404)   #7
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
I couldn't shake this from my mind while reading that: http://youtu.be/oDcMBG872sE
Old 5 Nov 2013, 09:58 (Ref:3327424)   #8
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I was going to put a long winded explanation on here but to be honest I can't be bothered so Malcolm,
Ego; I'm sorry I didn't see the video for It's entertainment value but I am allowed in this forum the same as everyone else.
Road rage; You seem intent on getting back at everyone who overtakes you and even appear to give a jink left of the steering wheel as you get alongside the Civic at the end.

Clive Brown and the thetool, calm yourselves down and stop attacking each other. I don't take offence at thetool's comments about my driving ability and Clive, my shoulders are broad enough to take back what I dish out. I only consider myself to be an average or even below average driver and have never professed to to anywhere near the best, this doesn't mean I can't make comments or criticise.

Just two other points to Malcolm, at 1min 10secs what's the line onto Hangar straight, everyone seems to cut across the red and white markings or is the sun reflecting on the track?
Also, how did your team qualify so far down the grid yet you made up all those places on the first lap or were you all sandbagging

Peat, you seem to be the only one of us that's got it right
Old 5 Nov 2013, 10:30 (Ref:3327435)   #9
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
OK, a bit of balance here, guys. I can see where everyone is coming from here on all sides. My own view is that this is really great footage, that Malcolm is actually a pretty good driver (wouldn't be an ARDS instructor otherwise, presumably) but that some of the attached comments don't come over too well for obvious reasons. The trouble with the written word is that you cannot hear the inflections in the voice or expression on the face and thus don't know whether the comments are 'cocky' or 'tongue in cheek'.

Edit - I had not seen Tim's post above when I wrote this but thought I'd post it anyway!
Old 5 Nov 2013, 10:55 (Ref:3327449)   #10
MaxxUK
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
Tim,

Quote:
I was going to put a long winded explanation on here but to be honest I can't be bothered so Malcolm,
Ego; I'm sorry I didn't see the video for It's entertainment value but I am allowed in this forum the same as everyone else.
Of course you are, and I hope fellow readers of 'armchair enthusiasts' are enjoying your posts, after all, that's what THIS particular section of the forum is about. What I do take exception to is you commenting on my personality when you don't know me. To have an over-inflated ego I must think I am 'better' than I am. You do not have the credentials of knowledge to comment on that. Yes, there are some "tongue-in-cheek", comments about being able to brake later than another car/driver, that's what was going through my mind at the time and thought it entertaining to share that with viewers. On every occasion I was however, correct.

Quote:
Road rage; You seem intent on getting back at everyone who overtakes you and even appear to give a jink left of the steering wheel as you get alongside the Civic at the end.
Untrue. You may have noticed it was wet, you will be aware of the racing line through that corner as will the Civic driver, when he sees me approaching at speed down the inside he moves across to tighten the corner, call it a block, call it a squeeze, I don't care but if I had not added more lock I would have hit him as I was travelling so much quicker than him at that stage. If you have watched the video you will see he has lots of power on the straights but brakes early and is slow in the corners. The small amount of steering just after I pass him is corrective lock.

I seem intent on getting back past those that overtake me, hmm, again maybe I've been doing things wrong all these years but I kinda thought that was the whole point of racing!.

Fact is, I was generally quicker than most other cars through the corners and under braking, but did not have the power on the straight. That's not ego talking, it's plain fact as can be seen in the video.

Quote:
Clive Brown and the thetool, calm yourselves down and stop attacking each other. I don't take offence at thetool's comments about my driving ability and Clive, my shoulders are broad enough to take back what I dish out. I only consider myself to be an average or even below average driver and have never professed to to anywhere near the best, this doesn't mean I can't make comments or criticise.
You can, I can take critique and welcome comment, it's mis-informed judgement that I find hard to avoid challenging.

Quote:
Just two other points to Malcolm, at 1min 10secs what's the line onto Hangar straight, everyone seems to cut across the red and white markings or is the sun reflecting on the track?
It the 'new' for late 2013 painted curb for the International Circuit. Think it is in response the the new guidlines on track limits.

Quote:
Also, how did your team qualify so far down the grid yet you made up all those places on the first lap or were you all sandbagging
Not even by a tenth. When you enter the Birkett you provide them with your best time on that circuit layout, or, if you havent done that layout before, then either Silv GP, Donni National or Silv National.

As all the drivers on our team had raced that circuit in the Birkett before we gave our best times from previous races.

My best time was a low 2:35 from memory. That is in the dry. The whole of my stint was damp/wet/greasy and my best lap was 2:44.71

I'm just very good in the wet, and before you bring up the ego thing again this is fact, proven over dozens of races. There were around a dozen Champion spec MR2s in the race, during my stint I was 3 secs a lap quicker than the next best and closer to 10 secs quicker than most. And this in a car I had never driven until quali that day ... hmm, maybe i'm not half bad after all?

Tonque-in-cheek, but you did pose the question....

Malcolm

Last edited by MaxxUK; 5 Nov 2013 at 11:13.
Old 5 Nov 2013, 11:11 (Ref:3327463)   #11
MaxxUK
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
OK, a bit of balance here, guys. I can see where everyone is coming from here on all sides. My own view is that this is really great footage, that Malcolm is actually a pretty good driver (wouldn't be an ARDS instructor otherwise, presumably) but that some of the attached comments don't come over too well for obvious reasons. The trouble with the written word is that you cannot hear the inflections in the voice or expression on the face and thus don't know whether the comments are 'cocky' or 'tongue in cheek'.

Edit - I had not seen Tim's post above when I wrote this but thought I'd post it anyway!
Thanks John, glad you enjoyed the footage, and I take on board your comment about the annotations perhaps being taken the wrong way.

Set against the dozens of positive comments against the video and on other forums/facebook then it's no great shakes, maybe most of those people know me or know my videos, or perhaps they just don't make judgements.

I'd already explained that it was posted for entertainment, in an entertainment related forum but Tim still felt the need to come back with more, maybe suggesting that, as well as having an inflated ego and being prone to road rage that I might also be dishonest

Malcolm

PS. Yes, that is a smiley at the end which does mean that, whilst I enjoy the "sparring" i'm not taking this stuff too seriously.
Old 5 Nov 2013, 11:23 (Ref:3327464)   #12
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxUK View Post
I'd already explained that it was posted for entertainment, in an entertainment related forum but Tim still felt the need to come back with more, maybe suggesting that, as well as having an inflated ego and being prone to road rage that I might also be dishonest

Malcolm

PS. Yes, that is a smiley at the end which does mean that, whilst I enjoy the "sparring" i'm not taking this stuff too seriously.
If I didn't give an explanation of my comments I'd be accused of erm, going quiet and not explaining my comments so this will be my last post in here but I do take exception to you saying I think you're dishonest, I don't and have never said anything like that.
Damned if you do and damned if you don't
Old 5 Nov 2013, 11:47 (Ref:3327471)   #13
MaxxUK
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
Firstly, to anyone reading this thread, don't be alarmed, Tim and I are racing drivers, that means we have a tendency to be competitive and this is rarely confined to our exploits on track. Neither of us want to give up the corner, if we are passed we want to try and repass back.

Quote:
.. I do take exception to you saying I think you're dishonest, I don't and have never said anything like that.
Damned if you do and damned if you don't
Tim,

Please read my comment accurately, I did take care to word it as it was intended and to not cause offence, to quote " maybe suggesting that, as well as having an inflated ego and being prone to road rage that I might also be dishonest ".

I think in racing terms though, that was a feint down the inside, possibly aimed at getting a reaction.

It will be clear just from this interchange that we are completely misunderstanding each other and on totally different wavelengths. It's been fun dicing for position but the chequer has now fallen and the "race" is over.

Sorry if any other viewer got the same impression as Tim, will have to use more of the ":" and ")" should I attempt this sort of exercise again.

Malcolm
Old 5 Nov 2013, 19:39 (Ref:3327654)   #14
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
Don't get your knickers in a twist. Assuming someone isn't the greatest driver in the world isn't an insult. You may wish to seek comprehension lessons my friend.
It was, though, a completely gratuitous cheap shot. It wasn't Tim Falce's driving standards that were in question, it was MaxxUk's. I watched the video, read the captions, and thought that this was neither more nor less than banger tactics. I am only amazed that this has not been brought to RACSMA's attention; if it was down to me, I'd pull his licence.

I can assure you that I certainly do not need comprehension lessons, and even if I did, I certainly would not be taking them from the likes of you.

Rarely can a poster have been more appropriately named....
Old 5 Nov 2013, 22:22 (Ref:3327718)   #15
IAN #51
Racer

England
WALSALL WEST MIDS
IAN #51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What did Maxx do wrong ! He got hit by a civic that made an error of judgment regarding the avaliable space. He eventually caught up and passed cleanly ! I raced at this years Birkett and I have far worse incidents on my in car. Good driving maxx good corner speed and braking in the variable conditions.

Ive never met maxx but would have no problem sharing a track with him

Ian

Last edited by IAN #51; 5 Nov 2013 at 22:23. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 5 Nov 2013, 22:39 (Ref:3327729)   #16
mgracer66
Rookie

mgracer66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Malcolm is a very respected , successful racer and also one of the UK's top coaches.... It actually took more self control to pass that Civic as clean as he did, personally I'd have at least left a battle scar down his door.... Well done Malcom.
Old 5 Nov 2013, 22:52 (Ref:3327734)   #17
IAN #51
Racer

England
WALSALL WEST MIDS
IAN #51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will just add to my last post. The way maxx takes the start is not the wisest way to start a race like the Birkett a lot of people held back to make sure they got round copse and maggots in one piece ! If an incident had happened on the start finish straight it would have been difficult to react penned inbetween cars and the pitwall. We all saw what happened at the Birkett in 2011.
Old 6 Nov 2013, 07:09 (Ref:3327839)   #18
MaxxUK
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
Cheers Ian, mgracer66 appreciate your comments. I have since edited the video .....

Last edited by MaxxUK; 6 Nov 2013 at 07:28.
Old 6 Nov 2013, 07:12 (Ref:3327842)   #19
MaxxUK
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
As for you Clive, you've gone too far, you are coming off my Christmas Card list right now!

Malcolm