Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Will someone finish the R1 Melbourne race?
Yes 72 92.31%
No 6 7.69%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4 Mar 2014, 04:32 (Ref:3374727)   #1
davester
Racer

davester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will ANYONE finish R1 Melbourne?

There is the very real and embarrassing possibility that the first F1 race for 2014 may fail to see any car make the full race distance.

Red flags at testing mean no-one has done a full race-spec simulation.

The final Bahrain test should have introduced safety car periods (instead of red flags) to enable teams to simulate actual race conditions while marshalls cleared stranded cars.

Proper race simulation (i.e. not having to stop for red flags) would have given better thermal control data and fuel data.
Old 4 Mar 2014, 04:45 (Ref:3374728)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Reminiscent of the 1982 Monaco GP?
Old 4 Mar 2014, 05:24 (Ref:3374736)   #3
NinnyMan
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
NinnyMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am secretly hoping this happens, just to see what transpires, but in reality
I think 6 to 9 cars might make it home, with atleast only half on the lead lap.
Old 4 Mar 2014, 07:43 (Ref:3374768)   #4
m355y
Racer

m355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I reckon it won't be half as dramatic as people are predicting. 14 or 15 cars to finish, interesting to see if a RB makes it home though!
Old 4 Mar 2014, 13:21 (Ref:3374893)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ten retirements, no more.
Old 4 Mar 2014, 13:51 (Ref:3374909)   #6
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There will be a few finishers but the secret will be the old saw "win as slowly as possible" which has been out of favor for many years. Nobody will dare push hard unless they're still running very late in the race, the rabbits will be out early.
Old 4 Mar 2014, 13:56 (Ref:3374911)   #7
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
4 retirements maximum.
Old 4 Mar 2014, 13:59 (Ref:3374913)   #8
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Whatever happens you can be sure SKY and the British Media will show plenty of clips of Red Bull Racing's testing campaign in the previews.
Old 4 Mar 2014, 14:00 (Ref:3374914)   #9
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
4 retirements maximum.
You have remembered that you've got Grosjean, Maldonado and Kobayashi out there haven't you? That's potential for wiping out half the field right there before you even get to unreliability
Old 4 Mar 2014, 14:04 (Ref:3374917)   #10
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Never say never, but given the number of miles the Mercedes teams have run, does anyone seriously think ALL of the cars will retire in the first race? I am excited that it could be a very unpredictable race.

Richard
Old 4 Mar 2014, 14:28 (Ref:3374924)   #11
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
At least one car from each power unit supplier will fail to finish, but overall I think there will be 14-18 finishers, with10-12 on lead lap due to safety cars needed to clear the others away.
Old 4 Mar 2014, 14:34 (Ref:3374926)   #12
el_cat
Racer

el_cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
You have remembered that you've got Grosjean, Maldonado and Kobayashi out there haven't you? That's potential for wiping out half the field right there before you even get to unreliability
Since when has Kamui got a reputation as a crasher?
Old 4 Mar 2014, 16:26 (Ref:3374961)   #13
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_cat View Post
And Grosjean appeared last year to have learned his lessons from the year before.
Old 4 Mar 2014, 17:09 (Ref:3374973)   #14
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_cat View Post
Well the fact that he's referred to as 'Kobacrashy' is a bit of a clue

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauln View Post
And Grosjean appeared last year to have learned his lessons from the year before.
True - but that's no use for making facetious comments is it now?
Old 5 Mar 2014, 19:11 (Ref:3375455)   #15
Scooter185
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Scooter185 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
if Kamui needs his car to be recovered, is it a Kobayashi Maru?
Old 5 Mar 2014, 20:32 (Ref:3375495)   #16
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Kobayashi maru! love that nick name.

i voted yes. actually curious to know if anyone will in all seriousness vote no.
Old 6 Mar 2014, 10:14 (Ref:3375706)   #17
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think there's anyone will agree that no cars will finish in Melbourne.

It might be more interesting to do a poll on how many people think will finish.
Old 6 Mar 2014, 11:33 (Ref:3375743)   #18
Another Bob
Racer

Australia
The Land Of More Then One Crow
Another Bob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it will be ten cars or less that will finish the race.

Out of that ten, very few if any, Renault engine cars.

More then likely neither of the Red Bulls will finish.

Pesimistic aren't I.

I waas thinking of going this year but the real possibility of seeing very few cars racing has put me off.
Old 6 Mar 2014, 11:57 (Ref:3375751)   #19
MarkG
Veteran

MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!
I think it's quite probable that less than ten cars will finish, and some of those that do may not actually be racing but circulating at the lowest possible pace to keep position and get some points.

Melbourne is a great circuit and a great place to start to the season. I doubt that keen F1 followers would be so excited about the start of a season if the first race was in a desert somewhere. Shame then, that it might not actually be a "race" at all, although I suppose that depends on what ones' definition of a F1 race is nowadays.
Old 6 Mar 2014, 12:19 (Ref:3375757)   #20
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter185 View Post
if Kamui needs his car to be recovered, is it a Kobayashi Maru?
There is no correct resolution, its a test of character...
Old 6 Mar 2014, 17:17 (Ref:3375844)   #21
Scooter185
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Scooter185 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
There is no correct resolution, its a test of character...
Kirk must have been piloting this recovery car https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=TRnysJ2kOnk
Old 6 Mar 2014, 20:11 (Ref:3375888)   #22
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I know one thing, the TV audience will be huge for this opening race ..
Old 6 Mar 2014, 20:27 (Ref:3375900)   #23
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Finishers?
I think one car (at least) from each of the Mercedes engine teams (Mercedes, Williams, McLaren, Force India) and maybe a Ferrari and a Sauber. Of all the Renault teams I think maybe a Caterham and a Red Bull.

But that's 8 cars...minimum, - unless there is a massive pile up at the start and the teammates take each other out...
Old 6 Mar 2014, 21:37 (Ref:3375923)   #24
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Kimi to finish..
Alonso to fail to finish..
Will create a great season.
Old 6 Mar 2014, 21:42 (Ref:3375925)   #25
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Sorry. Ill try again. Grojean/Maldando to tackle each other.
OR/AND
Hearing Rob Smedley say; "Kimi is faster than you".
Yes. That will do me....