Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Who is the driver of the Australian Grand Prix for you?
Rosberg 9 7.14%
Ricciardo 11 8.73%
Magnussen 65 51.59%
Button 3 2.38%
Alonso 0 0%
Bottas 32 25.40%
Hulkenberg 1 0.79%
Raikkonen 0 0%
Vergne 0 0%
Kvyat 3 2.38%
Perez 0 0%
Sutil 0 0%
Gutierrez 0 0%
Chilton 0 0%
Bianchi 0 0%
Grosjean 0 0%
Maldonado 0 0%
Ericsson 0 0%
Vettel 0 0%
Hamilton 0 0%
Massa 0 0%
Kobayashi 2 1.59%
Webber 0 0%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16 Mar 2014, 17:16 (Ref:3380661)   #26
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Either Bottas or Magnussen. It was Magnussen's debut and he got the podium but Bottas didn't panic after hitting the wall, kept his head and got his car back to the pits and then proceded to carve his way through the field. I think that merits DTR.
Old 16 Mar 2014, 19:30 (Ref:3380717)   #27
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Magnussen for me. Kept his head while all around were losing theirs. Very impressed with that.
Old 16 Mar 2014, 20:39 (Ref:3380753)   #28
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's funny because Bottas has probably never ever been considered as DOTR in his entire career in F1. Suddenly give him a decent car that can overtake others, and he's DOTR? Did his actual talent really improve that much over xmas? Nope, only the car did. It's hard to tell at this stage how good the Williams is since Massa went out. But I was rooting for Bottas all throughout the race.

DOTR for me goes to Magnussen. The commentators were often comparing it to Hamiltons debut in 2007, but the situation is a wee bit different. Hamilton had 10000s of kms testing and was in a top 2 team well ahead of everyone else. Magnussen's in a team that wasn't even close to a podium all last season, and a car which they thought was going to drift back in the dry.

Kyvat impressed me too, a top 10 straight from Gp3. It makes Vergne look even more average because Kyvat probably could have passed him near the end if he really wanted to.

It might not have been the absolute best drives on the day (who knows who truly got the best out of their car, could have been Chilton!), but considering they were rookies, they were very impressive debuts.
Old 16 Mar 2014, 20:50 (Ref:3380760)   #29
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Has to be Magnussen. What a debut - awesome.
Old 16 Mar 2014, 21:55 (Ref:3380798)   #30
Zico
Racer

Zico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
It's funny because Bottas has probably never ever been considered as DOTR in his entire career in F1. Suddenly give him a decent car that can overtake others, and he's DOTR? Did his actual talent really improve that much over xmas? Nope, only the car did. It's hard to tell at this stage how good the Williams is since Massa went out. But I was rooting for Bottas all throughout the race.

DOTR for me goes to Magnussen. The commentators were often comparing it to Hamiltons debut in 2007, but the situation is a wee bit different. Hamilton had 10000s of kms testing and was in a top 2 team well ahead of everyone else. Magnussen's in a team that wasn't even close to a podium all last season, and a car which they thought was going to drift back in the dry.

Kyvat impressed me too, a top 10 straight from Gp3. It makes Vergne look even more average because Kyvat probably could have passed him near the end if he really wanted to.

It might not have been the absolute best drives on the day (who knows who truly got the best out of their car, could have been Chilton!), but considering they were rookies, they were very impressive debuts.
Ditto exactly ^

It really does go to show how much of it is down to the car.

Race aside, one thing that really impressed me was Ricciardos performance in qualifying while Seb excused his poor performance with that he had a map issue. I dont get that... Does that mean RBR forgot to upload a wet weather map on Sebs car? To me it just looked like Dan had the superior driving style for the conditions, short shifting much more, while the rattled quad wdc Seb was trying to wring its neck, struggling to adapt, perhaps forgetting he didn't have exhaust blowing any longer and looked much more a rookie than probably all of the new guys on the grid today.

Last edited by Zico; 16 Mar 2014 at 22:07.
Old 16 Mar 2014, 22:06 (Ref:3380804)   #31
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel82 View Post
if it's not Bottas, I demand a recount of the votes
Bouncing off the wall did kind of ruin his score ever so slightly!

Or are you including entertainment value?
Old 16 Mar 2014, 22:24 (Ref:3380808)   #32
jsTrecu
Veteran

jsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zico View Post
Ditto exactly ^

It really does go to show how much of it is down to the car.

Race aside, one thing that really impressed me was Ricciardos performance in qualifying while Seb excused his poor performance with that he had a map issue. I dont get that... Does that mean RBR forgot to upload a wet weather map on Sebs car? To me it just looked like Dan had the superior driving style for the conditions, short shifting much more, while the rattled quad wdc Seb was trying to wring its neck, struggling to adapt, perhaps forgetting he didn't have exhaust blowing any longer and looked much more a rookie than probably all of the new guys on the grid today.
Well, except it's not "Seb excused his poor performance with".
It's "Seb complained on the radio of lack of power and drivability and then both his team AND Renault confirmed software issues affected the performance of the car during both qualifying and the race and are trying to solve them for the next GP".

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112964
Old 16 Mar 2014, 22:31 (Ref:3380813)   #33
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kimi.....but I voted Bottas.
Old 16 Mar 2014, 22:41 (Ref:3380820)   #34
Zico
Racer

Zico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsTrecu View Post
Well, except it's not "Seb excused his poor performance with".
It's "Seb complained on the radio of lack of power and drivability and then both his team AND Renault confirmed software issues affected the performance of the car during both qualifying and the race and are trying to solve them for the next GP".

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112964

Fair enough, if RB AND Renault say that then its probably true. Thanks for the link.
Old 16 Mar 2014, 23:27 (Ref:3380838)   #35
jsTrecu
Veteran

jsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zico View Post
Fair enough, if RB AND Renault say that then its probably true. Thanks for the link.
Yep, "AND", like "even Renault confirmed it"
Renault doesn't like to be blamed for RBR struggles as we've seen in the past, that's why I believe it's true.

A lot of people has been fast to put Seb down based on his performance this weekend, but the truth is we couldn't see his performance at all.
It's only fair to wait until both drivers adapt and have a trouble free weekend to compare them and then maybe start all the "Vettel is nothing w/o a blown diffuser" blablabla
Old 17 Mar 2014, 04:44 (Ref:3380922)   #36
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You don't go from being a 4 time champ to lapping 20 secs off the pace in the race, without it being an issue in the car. Unless his gf was driving the car.

Vettels a great driver in the wet, and the way he was going beyond the limit in quali and yet still 1-2.5s per lap slower than Ricciardo, you can't say there's nothing wrong with the car there.

What I find surprising is RB's inability to fix it. Vettels side of the garage might as well have packed up after quali and gone home, he had no chance in the race. Or chuck the engine and get a penalty out of the way, since he was starting so far back anyway.
Old 17 Mar 2014, 05:19 (Ref:3380925)   #37
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was a massive problem with his car. You could hear it missing and spluttering out of the corners. It wasn't accelerating.

I've seen a couple of negative comments about Button. I really don't understand it. He did great, started 11th and made his way up to 4th. Sure his quali could have been better but his racing was great. Only 2 other drivers made up more places and you could argue one of them was only through attrition.
Old 17 Mar 2014, 06:34 (Ref:3380939)   #38
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bottas
Old 17 Mar 2014, 07:00 (Ref:3380942)   #39
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
How does someone who ruins his race bouncing off a wall get a DOTR vote???!
Old 17 Mar 2014, 09:14 (Ref:3380979)   #40
sparkione
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
sparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've seen a couple of negative comments about Button. I really don't understand it. He did great, started 11th and made his way up to 4th. Sure his quali could have been better but his racing was great. Only 2 other drivers made up more places and you could argue one of them was only through attrition.[/QUOTE]

Kimi knackered JB's qualy, as he did Vettel's. He'd already demonstrated his pace, and without the yellow flag he'd have been in Q3 and up there at the front. His s/c pit stop was a brilliant piece of opportunism which made him up three places. He's there to finish races and score points for the team. There was no point in him going doolally trying to catch Mag, in an identical car. As it is, they're leading the WCC. I'm sure Ron's delighted...
Old 17 Mar 2014, 10:12 (Ref:3380990)   #41
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
That's the only reason he didn't get my DOTR vote. But let's give him some credit: he was fast, and he didn't panic when the incident with the wall pushed him way down the field.
Old 17 Mar 2014, 10:40 (Ref:3380998)   #42
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
I voted for him largely for the way he didn't let that faze him, got his act together and pulled himself back up into the points.
Old 17 Mar 2014, 11:00 (Ref:3381004)   #43
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Who are the clowns who've voted for Kobacrashi?! I know it seems it wasn't his fault after all but still....
Old 17 Mar 2014, 11:12 (Ref:3381010)   #44
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I echo the comments about Bottas - he was exciting to watch and it is great to see Williams towards the front again, but Bottas was the author of his own downfall, and he looked absolutely gutted after the race.

DOTR - no.
Most exciting drive of the race - probably.
Old 17 Mar 2014, 13:41 (Ref:3381050)   #45
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Magnussen. First F1 race, no botched start, no botched pitstops, drove a composed race and didn't let the car get away from him at any point. Obviously not phased by any of it.
Old 17 Mar 2014, 14:03 (Ref:3381060)   #46
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Kevin Magnussen, superb....
Old 17 Mar 2014, 16:09 (Ref:3381096)   #47
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikuni View Post
I've seen a couple of negative comments about Button. I really don't understand it. He did great, started 11th and made his way up to 4th. Sure his quali could have been better but his racing was great. Only 2 other drivers made up more places and you could argue one of them was only through attrition.
Button for me.

sentiment got the better of me as my heart went out to the guy given his off season and what i can only imagine was a difficult and strange first race weekend back.
Old 17 Mar 2014, 16:15 (Ref:3381100)   #48
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has to be Magnussen - cool, quick, mistake-free drive on debut.

Rosberg - faultless in the race, but let down in qualifying.
Button - faultless in the race, but let down in qualifying.
Bottas - great, but he did make a rather large error.
Kvyat - pretty good, but not quite as good as Magnussen
Ricciardo - error free, great qualifying, but DQ (not his fault) shadows the result slightly.

So it has to be Magnussen in my book.
Old 17 Mar 2014, 20:20 (Ref:3381210)   #49
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Webber?
Old 17 Mar 2014, 20:32 (Ref:3381216)   #50
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikuni View Post
Webber?
Mark Webber has retired from F1...