Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 29 May 2009, 18:45 (Ref:2471779)   #1
bechers
Rookie

United Kingdom
Liverpool
bechers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aintree Circuit Club re-launch 9th June 2009

CLUB RE-LAUNCH EVENING

Tuesday 9th June from 7.30pm in the AINTREE SUITE at the PARK HOTEL, Dunningsbridge Road, Netherton, Liverpool L30 6XN

Just a few minutes drive from the M58/M57/A59 Junction

The Directors of the Club invite you to our Re-launch Evening and to meet former members and star drivers such as Saloon, Touring and now Historic Racing Ace, Alan Minshaw, Former F1, F2, F Atlantic drivers including Alo Lawler and Kim Mather plus numerous other drivers from Aintree Circuit Club's illustrious past together with a fantastic display of competition cars.

We are the world's first organisation that was created first and foremost to provide track access for non-racing events, which we pioneered way back in 1954, shortly after the circuit was opened.

Since then we have organised International & British Championship Motor Races on both the Grand Prix and Club tracks, British Championship Speed Events, Historic Motorsport Events such as the 2004 Festival of Motorsport which saw the opening of the 3 mile G.P. track for the first time in 40 years, Single Venue Rallies, Track Days and of course the once famous Tuesday Test Sessions that ran throughout the season on the Aintree Club Circuit.

If you have any interest in motor racing, classic and sports cars, speed events, rallying and track days, then we are here for you.

If you have ever wondered "How do I get involved in motorsport?" as either a competitor or as a marshal or official, we can help you fulfil this ambition or if you just want to learn how to get the most out of your road car, our track days will be an ideal starting place in a safe and controlled environment.

We have some exciting plans for the future including unique street based racing and historic demonstrations and displays as well as the resumption of track events at our home at Aintree's famous Motor Racing Circuit.

A proud history An exciting future Be part of it!
Old 31 May 2009, 19:24 (Ref:2472857)   #2
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Many congratulations to those concerned. If I can possibly make it I will.
Old 31 May 2009, 22:12 (Ref:2472965)   #3
bechers
Rookie

United Kingdom
Liverpool
Hope to see you there!
Old 1 Jun 2009, 13:07 (Ref:2473353)   #4
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
having read this a few times I am unclear what you are actually saying - are you reopening the track? Why did it whither on the vine last time a few years ago?
Old 1 Jun 2009, 13:49 (Ref:2473382)   #5
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like a good evening, I'll try to make it.
Old 2 Jun 2009, 03:26 (Ref:2473779)   #6
bechers
Rookie

United Kingdom
Liverpool
The track is still used for sprints, track days and motor cycle racing.

Come along to the evening and you can meet the people involved as well as some Aintree stars from the past. Mike Wilds, ex F1 , has also said he will attend.
Old 2 Jun 2009, 07:26 (Ref:2473843)   #7
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
But as Simon asked what is the plan here, to reopen or just reminince?
Old 2 Jun 2009, 07:43 (Ref:2473848)   #8
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As I understood it the last time several owners took there cars up there at the request of a race organizer to display them under the impression that a possible race would follow. However it never happened as apparently the cost of getting it to modern safety standards was too great.
In the current environment and following the debacle at Donington I would urge caution and certainly not invest any hard earned folding into it!
Reminice by all means but dont kid yourselves that there is room for another racetrack - we are still waiting for details of the 2009 classic meeting at Crystal Palace!!
Old 2 Jun 2009, 09:52 (Ref:2473894)   #9
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't make the meeting, I'm afriad but would love to be kept up-to-date - is it possible to join the club and get a newsletter, etc?

Is car racing on the Club circuit a possibility? With a temporary licence - and Recticel in front of the jumps - its not a million miles away from safety standards (certainly better than a few current circuits, which I don't have a problem with). But perhaps its other issues, such lack of pitlane, etc? Why did it close to racing - IIRC the jockey club were hacked off with skid marks in the Grand National course, rather than any safety issues??
Old 3 Jun 2009, 21:08 (Ref:2474958)   #10
davedgerally
Rookie

davedgerally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aintree

Will definately be there...shame on anyone (no names no recriminations !!!) who thinks that it's not worth trying to reinstate racing at Aintree...If you don't try then there's no chance is there !!! (I'll definately contribute part of my winnings from this week's Euromillions jackpot win to see this happen !!!!! cheers DAVE
Old 3 Jun 2009, 21:52 (Ref:2474993)   #11
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I think we were asking what was the plan was thats all, I think we would obviously love to see another circuit reopen.
Old 3 Jun 2009, 22:42 (Ref:2475011)   #12
bechers
Rookie

United Kingdom
Liverpool
Aintree Circuit Club - relaunch - track issues

I would ask anybody with an interest in Aintree, not to get too focussed on the return of Motor Racing...for the moment.

The issues that caused motor racing to cease (originally on a temporary basis) in 1982 were down to a combination of the course being on the market (brought by the Adminstrators of the then owner Bill Davies's mortgagees) and the (usual) occasional damage to hardware and turf on the Grand National Course.

Damage occurred to two fences during the July race meeting and Club Officials gave assurances that these were exceptional (which they were).

However, just before the end of the Club's Test Session the following Tuesday evening, a mechanic, testing a new engine in an American Racing Saloon skidded on his own oil and caused further damage to a fence and that was the straw that finally broke the camel's back

The management (understandably) didn't want prospective purchasers viewing the course to find holes in fences and skid marks on the grass.

Those who were around will remember that although racing stopped, the racing driver's school run by Richard Peacock continued to operate.

Following the immediate purchase of the racecourse by a Jockey Club lead campaign, the Club initiated several attempts to resume racing.

The stubling block at the time was how to protect the jumps/fences from damage from errant racing cars even though Aintree generally had an excellent safety record - the only major race circuit in the world were there had never been a fatality during a motor race event.

This requirement was incidentally not something the racecourse company were driving but rather the RAC's insurers, who at the time were Messrs C.T Bowring.

We had numerous visits from Don Fyffe who was their Head of Motorsport Underwriting as well as visits from Derek Ongaro who was the Official starter for all G.P's and the RAC's Track Inspector. We even had John Webb, head of Motor Circuit Developments (Brands Hatch etc) visit us in 1986 for his input.

The Club then took the decision that it really needed one of the National Racing Clubs to resurect motor racing at Aintree and so concentrated on developing the Club Circuit for Sprints, Track Days and Tarmac Rallies, which it did with great success.

To bring things up to date, the Club will not just be about motor racing but will bring a new dimension to motoring and motor sport related events in the North West that will link to Aintree's rich but relatively short motor racing heritage ( 5 British G.P.s + 11 Aintree 200 F1 meetings etc) together with the links we have developed within the motorsport heritage industry.

Some events will take place at Aintree and will take advantage of the permanent facilities at the course, which are superior to any other motor sport venue in the UK, some events, such as Members Track Days, will use the Club Circuit whilst some events, such as street demonstration/displays, will take place at other venues. These will be a mix of both historic and contemporary road and track machinery that will appeal to all tastes.

If you want to see motor racing return to Aintree, now is the time to sign up and get involved. It doesn't happen by magic, it's takes time and effort and a little bit of good luck too.

We can't guarantee to bring back motor racing but the more help and support we have, the chances of it happening are much greater.

Please come along to the launch evening on the 9th June, even if it's just to meet with other like minded enthusiasts in an informal but pleasant atmosphere.

If you have an interesting or well presented car (or motor cycle), of any make or type, bring it along and show it off. There's plenty of parking in a secure floodlit carpark at the front of the hotel and we have also arranged security cover for the evening.

Hope to see and speak to you at the Park Hotel.

Mike Ashcroft
Chairman, A.C.C.
Old 3 Jun 2009, 22:45 (Ref:2475013)   #13
bechers
Rookie

United Kingdom
Liverpool

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedgerally View Post
Will definately be there...shame on anyone (no names no recriminations !!!) who thinks that it's not worth trying to reinstate racing at Aintree...If you don't try then there's no chance is there !!! (I'll definately contribute part of my winnings from this week's Euromillions jackpot win to see this happen !!!!! cheers DAVE
Dave, we just need a few more people like yourself and we will be on our way.

Look forward to seeing you at the re-launch - please come and say hello
Old 3 Jun 2009, 22:52 (Ref:2475017)   #14
bechers
Rookie

United Kingdom
Liverpool
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
I think we were asking what was the plan was thats all, I think we would obviously love to see another circuit reopen.
Al, see response below your post.

Thanks

A.C.C.
Old 3 Jun 2009, 22:54 (Ref:2475018)   #15
bechers
Rookie

United Kingdom
Liverpool
Quote:
Originally Posted by graeme View Post
Can't make the meeting, I'm afriad but would love to be kept up-to-date - is it possible to join the club and get a newsletter, etc?

Is car racing on the Club circuit a possibility? With a temporary licence - and Recticel in front of the jumps - its not a million miles away from safety standards (certainly better than a few current circuits, which I don't have a problem with). But perhaps its other issues, such lack of pitlane, etc? Why did it close to racing - IIRC the jockey club were hacked off with skid marks in the Grand National course, rather than any safety issues??
Graeme, please email me for membership details. A new website will also be going live in time for the re-launch
Old 3 Jun 2009, 22:56 (Ref:2475020)   #16
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
A good response as well!
Old 3 Jun 2009, 23:10 (Ref:2475027)   #17
bechers
Rookie

United Kingdom
Liverpool
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
As I understood it the last time several owners took there cars up there at the request of a race organizer to display them under the impression that a possible race would follow. However it never happened as apparently the cost of getting it to modern safety standards was too great.
In the current environment and following the debacle at Donington I would urge caution and certainly not invest any hard earned folding into it!
Reminice by all means but dont kid yourselves that there is room for another racetrack - we are still waiting for details of the 2009 classic meeting at Crystal Palace!!
Simon,

We aren't making any specific plans or promises regarding the resumption of motor racing at Aintree.

I'm also not aware of any "race organiser" requesting owners to display cars under the impression that a possible race would follow although there were many race organisers who helped source the cars that appeared at the Festival (252 for the record and 50 classic/historic racing motorcycles with a value of £80Million)

I organised the Aintree Festival in 2004, which used the full 3 mile G.P. circuit but there was never any promises or even any discussion about reopening the circuit for racing although the plan was to run the Festival to at least 2008 to join Liverpool European Capital of Culture...that was until the racecourse decided to build a grandstand on Tatt's corner!

The Festival did, however, show, that is was possible to use the full circuit without any undue problems. At times there were up to 40 racing cars circulating the track and they weren't hanging around. We had no incidents resulting in any damage to the racecourse hardware - except the track, which did break up slightly in places...but it was after all the original stuff!!

The most feasible type of event, certainly on the full circuit, using the grandstands and hospitality facilities would be something like the Goodwood Revival - essentially pre-slicks/wings- to keep cornering speeds down to something manageable - these are the same reasons other than just nostalgia why Goodwood doesn't allow anything later than mid sixties machinery, as it would means run-off areas, chicanes etc
Old 4 Jun 2009, 06:54 (Ref:2475125)   #18
simon drabble
Veteran

Mike - out of interest does your club and its aspirations have the support of the owners and management of the racecourse?
Who will finance the cost of infrastructure to get the track upto a level MSA will licence?
I really hope that you are successful as you are right Aintree is steeped in motor racing history but after the well meaning intentions of Donington I think potential members would need some good assurances before parting with their hard earned!
Old 4 Jun 2009, 08:04 (Ref:2475172)   #19
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
The Goodwood model does seem very attractive, but I have to say I feel rather excluded as a do-er rather than a watcher, and hence haven't been for years. "If you haven't got a half-million quid Ferrari, and a celeb driver, you're not racing". Don't forget the club racers...
Old 4 Jun 2009, 08:07 (Ref:2475173)   #20
simon drabble
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by graeme View Post
The Goodwood model does seem very attractive, but I have to say I feel rather excluded as a do-er rather than a watcher, and hence haven't been for years. "If you haven't got a half-million quid Ferrari, and a celeb driver, you're not racing". Don't forget the club racers...
Graeme - I am as clubbie as it gets and my car is certainly not in that league but I have been fortunate enough to have had the nod twice.... the headline races there are glam and big bucks but the support races are clubbie ones - that is why Goodwood works so well as it replicates a period big meeting.
Old 4 Jun 2009, 08:15 (Ref:2475179)   #21
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
And for God's sake if you do do something historic make it a tad later than that silly 66 cut off everyone goes for as it cuts out so many good cars including mine! I would suggest a good cut off that many people could relate to would be when the government considers a car historic and allow you to run with no road fund licence, i.e. any vehicle manufactured before January 1st 1973. If you go pre-66 you will just be one of many chasing the same old thing, it could then possibly become the Northern equivilant of the Goodwood Festival but less stuffy and would suit the more down to earth nature of the area.
Old 4 Jun 2009, 08:35 (Ref:2475188)   #22
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Why does it have to be historic only at all? Why can't anything without too much grip/downforce/cornering speed be allowed - 2CVs, Sevens, MGs...? If it is historics only, I'm not actually that interested. (Perhaps if it is the case, modern circuits such as Anglesey and Rockingham should be "contemporary cars only" - none of this old tat )
Old 4 Jun 2009, 08:55 (Ref:2475199)   #23
simon drabble
Veteran

Graeme this is possibly why it in the History section rather than national racing section!!!!
Al the run off issues that restrict Goodwood (both now and in period) apply here as well.
I have to say that great idea that this is unless it has the financial backing and support of the owners of Aintree I dont see it going beyond some great natter and noggin sessions
Old 4 Jun 2009, 13:06 (Ref:2475319)   #24
bechers
Rookie

United Kingdom
Liverpool
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
Mike - out of interest does your club and its aspirations have the support of the owners and management of the racecourse?
Who will finance the cost of infrastructure to get the track upto a level MSA will licence?
I really hope that you are successful as you are right Aintree is steeped in motor racing history but after the well meaning intentions of Donington I think potential members would need some good assurances before parting with their hard earned!
Simon,
The last time we discussed this with the racecourse, they were generally supportive with the caveats that:
a, Any plans would not affect the running of the Grand National
b, There would not be a net cost to them

I can also advise that we have had serious enquiries/offers from one or two very wealthy individuals with interests in the historic racing scene regarding bringing back motor racing at Aintree.

There are other things to factor in such as the close proximity of housing but the current level of motor cycle racing (up to 30 races per day) does not cause any real issues.

However, you are quite right in that there will be a degree of financing required but nothing on the level of Donington. Aintree already has superb facilities - 25 000 capacity permanent grandstands, hospitality for 6000, first class infrastucture including a railway station opposite the main entrance, established park and ride schemes etc - these are the real issues that Donington will have.

Bringing the track up to acceptable standards is relatively easy compared with the cost and timescales of putting in the infrastucture and facilities, which we all ready have.

There is already a massive communications infrastucture already in place at Aintree which includes a secure radio system, telephone network, broadcast quality audio and visual cabling, press centre/studio, exhibition centre etc etc.
In broad terms, parts of the track would require resurfacing (we resurfaced the Sefton Straight/Current Club Circuit Paddock in late 2004 for the Festival), the Melling Crossing would need to be uncovered (has a layer of Turf over the Grandstand side since 2000), armco/reticell barriers would be required at appropriate points as well as marshal's posts and a pit road/pits complex.

Plans we devised 7 years ago would locate these North of the existing stands on the outside of the circuit in the location of the Western enclosure which would ensure that there was an unrestricted view of the horse racing course and that dual purpose facilities could be built above the pit garages etc.

We also gained the full support of the local authority (Sefton Council) for previous plans.

What people should also not forget is that A.C.C. kept the motor racing going from 1964 until 1982 on a completely amateur basis and without any long-term lease. As an example, when Ladbrokes took over the management of the racecourse in 1976 (at the behest of mortgagees of "owner" Bill Davies), the whole racecourse was run on a year by year basis but the Club, with the fantastic help of the BRSCC Northern Centre, succeeded in obtaining a track licence in 1977, with the installation of the armco barrier around the picnic loop area (Club round to Village Corner) and following this, maintained the facility including all track equipment up to 1998. The armco had to be installed as the existing wooden barriers were deemed unacceptable by the RAC in 1976.

At the moment, key areas are protected by carefully constructed straw bale barriers, which is what we used for the Aintree Festival, which work very well and are of course "environmentally friendly" and also look the part.

However, it would ultimately depend on what was acceptable to the MSA and the racecourse management.

At the moment though, it must be made clear that this is not our priority.

We need to ensure firstly that the Club has a healthy and active membership that both supports and is supportive of, the range of activities that we aim to organise and promote.

We would like to bring a "continental" flavour to the North West and not to be totally dependant on running events just at Aintree. The racecourse is in fact quite busy with non-racing activities and anything we do has to fit in with existing usage.

Interestingly, the Vintage Motorcycle Club has been running a sprint on the main start/finish straight on the Grand Prix circuit for the past two years, which starts right in front of the main grandstands and runs as far as Waterway corner. It's all run relatively informally run, low profile, very little publicity etc but shows what can be done. They run everything from 1930's racers to contemporary drag bikes with parachute braking etc and everybody seems to really have a great day's sport.

You will be pleasantly surprised what we have in the pipeline...

Mike
Old 4 Jun 2009, 13:13 (Ref:2475324)   #25
simon drabble
Veteran

I am impressed and apoligize for not appreciating your committment and more importantly the Club's historic involvement

Tags
formula 1, formula 2, formula ford, historic racing