Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 12 Aug 2020, 10:22 (Ref:3994919)   #7276
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Far too many unknowns.

Given the behaviour of some of Celtic and Aberdeen football players, let's hope others - and I include BTCC personnel and you, dear reader - take note and stay away from pubs, restaurants and cafes.

Too many stupid mixed messages from Government (ours and others). Sooner or later the reality will hit them, and as I see it:

1) no venues for gatherings/ people to mix

2) masked distanced shopping (maybe restricted to essential items)

3) no international travel at all. Exception for air and ship crew transporting goods, but for them to remain on their plane/ ship whilst in foreign airport/ port

New Zealand having infections again demonstrates the above is necessary if you are serious about removing this virus from the population.

Or you could always take off and nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure. Unless it's lurking in your spaceship
Old 12 Aug 2020, 10:45 (Ref:3994925)   #7277
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
TOCA will continue as long as they are allowed, while taking the necessary precautions. With drivers and teams needing the budget, it is important that they keep getting the prize money and TV exposure
Old 12 Aug 2020, 12:14 (Ref:3994954)   #7278
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't really get where comments about halting the championship come from. Do I need to remind that so many people claimed the championship won't even start?
I think a decision to halt it would be in the most extreme situation. If it's not that extreme, nothing will change, people won't be able to attend races till the end of the year, possibly (hopefully) all the staff will be tested, all the precautionary measures (social distancing, masks, etc) will be in place and season will be finished.
Covid-19 may stay with us for years to come, I think shutting everything down is not the solution. I know it's difficult, especially for those particularly touched by the virus but the thing is no one can afford for another lockdown. And motorsport - if it is to survive - can't be halted as well.
Old 12 Aug 2020, 13:17 (Ref:3994966)   #7279
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Exactly, a lot of effort has been made into getting this championship started. They will do everything to make it run to the end of the season and you have to say that they have done brilliant job so far. Two meetings no major problems
Old 12 Aug 2020, 14:02 (Ref:3994970)   #7280
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
so for any top driver it becomes vital to remain at top of standings after every round as anytime the plug can be pulled
Old 12 Aug 2020, 14:36 (Ref:3994979)   #7281
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
so for any top driver it becomes vital to remain at top of standings after every round as anytime the plug can be pulled
There are too many variables to make that sort of statement.
It would depend on how far in the season is - what rounds are completed - what chance of resuming the season again - etc., etc., etc.

e.g.
Full table:
Turkington - 95
Sutton - 79
Oliphant - 70
Ingram - 67
Cammish - 61

Drop worst result:
Turkington - 89
Sutton - 77
Ingram - 67
Oliphant - 63
Cammish - 61

Drop two results:
Turkington - 77
Sutton - 77
Cammish - 61
Ingram - 57
Oliphant - 55
Old 12 Aug 2020, 14:41 (Ref:3994982)   #7282
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In fact - if the drastic was to happen and the season was cut short now - then I would go for the 'drop two worst results' option.

That leaves a tie for first, with Cammish in third.
Let them have a one-race shoot-out at the next opportunity. Let the RWD pair have a half-lap head start, with the race being 10 laps to the flag. Winner is crowned the champion.

*** - I'm not saying I genuinely think this is a sensible solution for deciding the BTCC champion, but it would give Mr Gow a final showdown for the season. ***
Old 12 Aug 2020, 14:43 (Ref:3994984)   #7283
S griffin
Veteran

Let’s not speculate, only a week till the next race anyway
Old 12 Aug 2020, 15:51 (Ref:3995001)   #7284
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
another aspect of the 2020 season

with Collard, Plato, Jordan and to a degree Mat Jackson gone it means only 3 drivers on the grid competed multiple seasons pre 2010
- Neal
- Turkington
- Chilton

rest are all fresh blood, you can say the old guard is nearly gone
Old 12 Aug 2020, 16:09 (Ref:3995002)   #7285
S griffin
Veteran

Jelley competed in a couple of seasons before 2010 and Neate had done a couple of meetings, one in 2001 and 05
Old 12 Aug 2020, 16:24 (Ref:3995003)   #7286
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
I don't really get where comments about halting the championship come from. Do I need to remind that so many people claimed the championship won't even start?
I think a decision to halt it would be in the most extreme situation. If it's not that extreme, nothing will change, people won't be able to attend races till the end of the year, possibly (hopefully) all the staff will be tested, all the precautionary measures (social distancing, masks, etc) will be in place and season will be finished.
Covid-19 may stay with us for years to come, I think shutting everything down is not the solution. I know it's difficult, especially for those particularly touched by the virus but the thing is no one can afford for another lockdown. And motorsport - if it is to survive - can't be halted as well.
I doubt we will see a countrywide lockdown, as localised lockdowns are now being put in place. But a race meeting in an area that has been put into lockdown may not be allowed to take place, regardless of having no spectators.
Old 12 Aug 2020, 16:41 (Ref:3995005)   #7287
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
In fact - if the drastic was to happen and the season was cut short now - then I would go for the 'drop two worst results' option.

That leaves a tie for first, with Cammish in third.
Let them have a one-race shoot-out at the next opportunity. Let the RWD pair have a half-lap head start, with the race being 10 laps to the flag. Winner is crowned the champion.

*** - I'm not saying I genuinely think this is a sensible solution for deciding the BTCC champion, but it would give Mr Gow a final showdown for the season. ***
If it was drop 2 worst results, Turkington would have 78 and Sutton would have 76, not 77. Even if both were on 77, Turkington would be winner as he has two wins to Suttons one.
Old 12 Aug 2020, 16:52 (Ref:3995007)   #7288
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS67 View Post
I doubt we will see a countrywide lockdown, as localised lockdowns are now being put in place. But a race meeting in an area that has been put into lockdown may not be allowed to take place, regardless of having no spectators.
That's true and we already see this problem in Supercars where they have to really try hard to finish the season but hopefully there's no such a problem in BTCC - especially because there are fewer tracks in Britain than in Australia and there are fewer opportunities in such a situation.
Old 12 Aug 2020, 16:57 (Ref:3995008)   #7289
S griffin
Veteran

More to the point, there’s fewer suitable tracks to host the BTCC
Old 12 Aug 2020, 18:49 (Ref:3995021)   #7290
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That's true and we already see this problem in Supercars where they have to really try hard to finish the season but hopefully there's no such a problem in BTCC - especially because there are fewer tracks in Britain than in Australia and there are fewer opportunities in such a situation.
Are there? The UK has loads of tracks. Last year the Supercars series raced at nine permanent venues, five street venues and one round in New Zealand.

Street racing is not really an option in the UK, but in terms of permanent facilities, the BTCC also ran at nine separate facilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
More to the point, there’s fewer suitable tracks to host the BTCC
In terms of tracks rated to national standard, there are roughly fourteen permanent facilities in the UK (I've counted Anglesey, Brands Hatch, Cadwell Park, Castle Combe, Croft, Donington Park, Knockhill, Lydden Hill, Mallory Park, Oulton Park, Pembrey, Silverstone, Snetterton and Thruxton). Sure a few of them don't have the facilities the BTCC is looking for, but all would be capable of hosting an event.

Australia's count is: Barbagello, Eastern Creek, Hidden Valley, Lakeside, Mallala, Morgan Park, Oran Park, Philip Island, Queenland, Sandown, Symmons Plain, Winton and the new "The Bend" near Adelaide. So only 13 tracks. And similarly a number of them fall short of the faculties demanded by Supercars.
Old 12 Aug 2020, 21:59 (Ref:3995047)   #7291
Matt K
Veteran

You're right, I didn't count them but has to be said street tracks do make a difference. And in normal circumstances they can go easily to NZ. BTCC can't race in a nearby Ireland. And The Bend is an example of a new high standard facility built down under whereas which is the newest track in the UK? Does anyone remember Lake Torrent and Circuit of Wales?
Old 12 Aug 2020, 22:16 (Ref:3995050)   #7292
tobyobi
Rookie

tobyobi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
Are there? The UK has loads of tracks. Last year the Supercars series raced at nine permanent venues, five street venues and one round in New Zealand.
I guess the primary difference between the UK and Australia is the sheer amount of land mass.

Currently Supercars have fled Victoria (the current hotspot) for Darwin and Townsville over the next four weeks. Darwin is ~2350mi away from Melbourne. There is nowhere in the UK you can get that far away, and the absolute sparsity of people seems to be helping contain the spread (when the lockdowns are actually respected...).
Old 12 Aug 2020, 22:25 (Ref:3995052)   #7293
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
BTCC can't race in a nearby Ireland.
They can and did as recently as 2006. It just proved to not be worthwhile compared to an extra round in the UK.
Old 12 Aug 2020, 22:43 (Ref:3995056)   #7294
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
And The Bend is an example of a new high standard facility built down under whereas which is the newest track in the UK?
Newest track in the UK would be Anglesey, which opened less than 25 years ago.
Old 12 Aug 2020, 22:46 (Ref:3995057)   #7295
thetool
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
Newest track in the UK would be Anglesey, which opened less than 25 years ago.
Depends how you classify Rockingham I guess.
Old 12 Aug 2020, 22:49 (Ref:3995058)   #7296
sceptic
Veteran

Quote:
In terms of tracks rated to national standard, there are roughly fourteen permanent facilities in the UK (I've counted Anglesey, Brands Hatch, Cadwell Park, Castle Combe, Croft, Donington Park, Knockhill, Lydden Hill, Mallory Park, Oulton Park, Pembrey, Silverstone, Snetterton and Thruxton). Sure a few of them don't have the facilities the BTCC is looking for, but all would be capable of hosting an event.

Australia's count is: Barbagello, Eastern Creek, Hidden Valley, Lakeside, Mallala, Morgan Park, Oran Park, Philip Island, Queenland, Sandown, Symmons Plain, Winton and the new "The Bend" near Adelaide. So only 13 tracks. And similarly a number of them fall short of the faculties demanded by Supercars.
You've missed Bathurst, Calder Park and Wakefield Park
Old 12 Aug 2020, 22:50 (Ref:3995059)   #7297
sceptic
Veteran

Quote:
Depends how you classify Rockingham I guess.
Well you can't class it as a race track as it hasn't been for 21 months
Old 12 Aug 2020, 23:14 (Ref:3995062)   #7298
thetool
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
You've missed Bathurst, Calder Park and Wakefield Park
Bathurst is technically a street circuit, Calder appears to be closed, but yes Wakefield should have been included.
Old 13 Aug 2020, 16:59 (Ref:3995238)   #7299
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Pretty amazing stat!

https://twitter.com/official_wsr/sta...255535618?s=21
Old 13 Aug 2020, 17:21 (Ref:3995246)   #7300
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
A brave tempting of fate?

The FK8 went 108 starts before a mechanical failure....