Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > The Chassis History Archive

Old 23 Sep 2006, 10:33 (Ref:1716976)   #26
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As you can see, I have renamed this to make it B19 specific, and will eventually merge it with the thread above, but let's see if we can get anymore info. for ClassicComp, first.
Old 23 Sep 2006, 18:03 (Ref:1717135)   #27
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicComp
i cant beleve that there are that many fake built cars out there
Old 23 Sep 2006, 19:56 (Ref:1717208)   #28
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbrown
Old 28 Sep 2006, 10:29 (Ref:1721901)   #29
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

....... The headmaster!
Old 1 Oct 2006, 00:48 (Ref:1724010)   #30
ClassicComp
Rookie

ClassicComp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
fakes

my coment on the number of fakes seems to be of the utmost humor to some. i have honest request for help here only to get laughed ,at im sure that there are some fake cars but with close scrutiny that most of us put vintage race cars under and the obvious wealth of knowledge that is out there to pick out the fakes that the ******s have tried to pass off as the real deal i would think that they would be getting weeded out i guess i can only ask the question is it true that there shouldnt be a car number 33 or is this a bunch of BS and if soo are all of the b19s accounted for do we know how many were built with ligit chassis plates thanks in advance for anybodys help B.J.
Old 1 Oct 2006, 02:57 (Ref:1724035)   #31
Bryan Miller
Veteran

Bryan Miller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Classic comp,

On the thread prior to this , i.e. the B19 thread , B19-71-011 is listed , and seems to be a period number.

What history and how far back can you/the owner go in respect of previous owners , known verifyable race reports etc.etc.

Sometimes the only way to sort out these histories is to go backwards from now.
How long has the car been in the current owners hands for a start , and where did he purchase the car and from whom?

Bryan Miller.
Old 1 Oct 2006, 09:28 (Ref:1724231)   #32
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicComp
my coment on the number of fakes seems to be of the utmost humor to some. i have honest request for help here only to get laughed ,at im sure that there are some fake cars but with close scrutiny that most of us put vintage race cars under and the obvious wealth of knowledge that is out there to pick out the fakes that the ******s have tried to pass off as the real deal i would think that they would be getting weeded out i guess i can only ask the question is it true that there shouldnt be a car number 33 or is this a bunch of BS and if soo are all of the b19s accounted for do we know how many were built with ligit chassis plates thanks in advance for anybodys help B.J.
Don't get offended, BJ; Both Steve and Allen are chassis historians with huge amounts of knowledge, and not a little experience of the 'fakes' and their humour is no more than recognition of how big the fakes issue is with some of these cars. Anyway, as you can see I've threatened to take the 'bat' to them for inappropriate archive behaviour!

There are a lot of knowledgeable posters on this forum who can help. However, the more you can tell them about what you do know about the car, the more it helps them to know where to 'dig' for the info.
Old 1 Oct 2006, 09:34 (Ref:1724240)   #33
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry if I offeended you BJ. That certainly wasn't my intention. But there are a lot more B16s and B19s than there should be.

Allen
Old 1 Oct 2006, 10:06 (Ref:1724265)   #34
Chris Townsend
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Chris Townsend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just occasionally a multiple of 11 creeps into the Chevron build records. [DB must have been elsewhere at the time...] There is a B29 -22 for example [though no 11 or 33]. We shouldn't therefore be wholly sceptical about this chassis number on a B19. What's needed to diffuse that scepticism is sound provenance.

Chris
Old 1 Oct 2006, 13:21 (Ref:1724420)   #35
ClassicComp
Rookie

B19

thank you im sorry that i seemed so peed off i get alot of people who think that they are being funny when trying to get answers on projects ihave been doing cars with hard to find history for like american short track cars and it can be very frustrating so im sorry i will be going in to the shop today and ill see if i can look at the car and records and see if i can post some more info thanks BJ
Old 4 Oct 2006, 15:58 (Ref:1727793)   #36
IANHEB
Racer

IANHEB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm with Allen on this one.The reference to B19-71-11 on the other thread is not from 1971 and is dubious, whereas 7,8,9,10 and 12 are all well known in period.
Arch Motors however had no such superstisions to the best of my knowledge, and would have produced frames numbered AM 71 B19 11, and 22, and 33.
A close up picture of the chassis plate and frame number would be nice .
Ian
Old 4 Oct 2006, 18:47 (Ref:1727933)   #37
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IANHEB
A close up picture of the chassis plate and frame number would be nice .
Good point Ian. Those two pictures would tell us a great deal.
Old 5 Oct 2006, 02:05 (Ref:1728273)   #38
ClassicComp
Rookie

photos

i am working on the photos and i will also have a photo of the original log book info BJ
Old 27 Dec 2006, 17:28 (Ref:1799985)   #39
mshalett
Rookie

United States
New Orleans, LA USA
mshalett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
B19's B16's

I purchased "B19/1" from Corrado Cuppellini in Bergamo, Italy with a FVA in 1988 ot 1989. It had been used in Italian hillclimbs. I don't recall it having a a chassis plate but appeared to have been well used at the time. We restored the car and I raced it successfully. In the mid-1990's it was sold to Mark Leonard in the mid-1990's who sold it on. I do not know where it went.

I also bought another B19, Chassis number???? (I have to look to see what I can find in my files) in late 1980's from Monza, Italy. It was sold to another racer by the name of Kopf.

I also know a bit more about B16S which bodywork was separated from the original chassis and another chassis was made and sold for this car. The original B16SW was sold by Chevron Cars, U.S.A. from my old friend Dick Leppla in Cleveland to a well-known collector and racer of that day, Joel Finn. I am not sure what happened to B16S after that. There was not the interest in those cars quite yet. I have owned two B16's, two B19's, two B-27's and maybe another Chevron, but retain only B16/DBE07.

Best wishes for the New Year,

Monte Shalett, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
Old 28 Jan 2007, 11:36 (Ref:1827707)   #40
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
BJ, got any info. together, yet?
Old 28 Feb 2007, 06:46 (Ref:1853498)   #41
jeffreyj
Rookie

jeffreyj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
B19 chassis number 10A

Greetings,

The Chevron Chasis information posted on this site has a few omissions I would like to get added.
I purchased chassis 10A from Dick Leppla about 5 years ago. What a character! He was 76 at the time and had repurchased the car from Mike Amalfitano who owned and restored it. Dick wanted to go racing again, but after a few laps (spins!!) he said it was too uncomfortable.

At the 40th reunion in California, I met with Ed Swartz who informed me that 10A was his former Canon car! he had lost track of it until that day. Ed said Derrick didn't make a number 11 because he was superstitious, and used 10A instead.
That leaves chassis number 11 questionable, and ED Swartz number 12 as possibly incorrect.

Ed will verify this. His email address is:edswart@hsr-westracing.com.
I have FIA papers and picture documenting B19 10A.
How do I get this information to the person keeping the registry?
Does anyone have additional information on chassis 10A?

Thank you,

Jeff McKay- Seattle, WA
Old 28 Feb 2007, 09:00 (Ref:1853559)   #42
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

The only public registry is this thread. So the answer to "How do I get this information to the person keeping the registry" is that you've already done it!

Allen
Old 28 Feb 2007, 15:04 (Ref:1853837)   #43
jeffreyj
Rookie

Chevron B19 chassis update

Thank you for the reply, Allen.

The reference : "Chevron Chassis Numbers" that is referred in this thread is available to all on the internet. As the only available Chevron reference showing chassis numbers, it should be corrected.
Will some one be doing that?
I have also owned B34-24, and B39?? former Rosberg car. Both were sold to UK owners a few years ago, and are currently racing there.

I appreciate your assistance getting B19 10A recognized.

Jeff
Old 28 Feb 2007, 15:13 (Ref:1853842)   #44
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

Oh, that page. The man you need to talk to is Philippe Olczyk. He posts on the Chassis Archive on various subjects. He acquired that content from Martin Krejci a few years ago and I'm not sure if it's being actively maintained.
Old 3 Apr 2007, 05:01 (Ref:1882424)   #45
jeffreyj
Rookie

Chevron chassis numbers- 10A

Perhaps I can add some information to the chassis number puzzle.
I own Chevron 71 B19 10A. Purchased from Dick Leppla, former Chevron Chevron Dealer in the US. The car was owned and raced by Mike Amalfitano of Amalfi racing- N.H., USA.
The car has period original FIA papers.
Ed Swart at the US Chevron 40th reunion declared that this ( 10A) was HIS original Canon car. He had lost track of it until our meeting. Ed also confirmed that there was no 11 car as David Gordon writes ( pg 37) in "The Derek Bennett Story".
The Chevron Chassis number accounting ( the only one I have found on the internet) thus far has not recognized 10A and has mistakenly reported #11 and #12 histories.
I will be happy to produce the FIA papers and get MR. Swart to confirm the above if it will be helpful in maintaining the proper registry....who is maintaining it?

respectfully,

Jeff McKay
Seattle, USA
Old 3 Apr 2007, 09:39 (Ref:1882578)   #46
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

Hi Jeff

Thanks for the information on your car. I'm not sure if anyone is actively building a proper register of these cars as it's a lot of work and will open many cans of worms. Maintaining a list of owners' claims is one thing, actually figuring out which cars are real is quite another.

I would be interested in building and maintaining a list of original cars and taking their ownership as far as possible into the 1970s. If some of those cars proved to have continuous provable histories right up the the present day then so much the better.

Allen
Old 4 Apr 2007, 04:54 (Ref:1883064)   #47
jeffreyj
Rookie

Chevron Chassis numbers

Allen,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, being in charge of the chassis list would definitely be a thankless and frustrating job.
I received an email from Ed Swart today stating that his B19 number is 25.
he also states thatthere is another #25 in Europe, but Ed has supporting documentation.
I shipped a b34 and a B39 with provenance to the UK 2 years ago- returning to the homeland!

All the best,

Jeff
Old 4 Apr 2007, 08:23 (Ref:1883186)   #48
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I read in AS that the car makers are looking to do a list of chassis for the FIA along with heritage papers so perhaps the task will fall onto the FIA to maintain chaiss # details

the 2 chevrons you sold to Uk guys
b39 is actively racing with i think sandy watson the other ( b34) has raced 2 or 3 time sonly
Old 5 Apr 2007, 13:53 (Ref:1884147)   #49
jeffreyj
Rookie

driftwood,

Thank you for the update. The B39 was sold to John Bradshaw and the B34 to James Gowens, although the cars could have changed hands since then.
I would love to have both back.

Jeff
Old 5 Apr 2007, 14:19 (Ref:1884171)   #50
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I remember being offered these 2 cars from way down in the Texas area needing rebuilding about 5 years ago
JB sold car to sandy ive not seen Jim out since oct 05