Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Aug 2020, 13:27 (Ref:3992699)   #1751
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I enjoyed the C4 coverage, it made a welcome change to Sky. I like that they have two former F1 drivers commentating and they can bounce off of each other. I feel that with Brundle he is sort of on his own sometimes. Back to Sky next weekend.
Old 4 Aug 2020, 19:13 (Ref:3992993)   #1752
hoffman66
Racer

hoffman66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I rarely watch F1 nowadays, mainly because of the moronic Croft who I loath far more than any other previous f1 comms man, Legard included. Allen was getting close with the shouting, but Croft is simply ridiculous, yet as usual in these circles he is drop fed platitudes by his employers who seemingly love him and by a small number of fans who think he is great. He is the pit quite honestly.

Edwards was also being a bit shouty, clearly under direction to make it all perhaps seem more exciting than it really is. But the way he DC and Weber related to each other was great, Webber is funny, as is DC, and it just works.

I always feel Brunders is simply putting up with Croft, there is clearly no chemistry there and if I was him I would be quietly pushing Sky to get rid of him as I can't be the only one who deliberately turns off as soon as he starts gobbing off.
Old 4 Aug 2020, 20:02 (Ref:3993003)   #1753
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Yes.. Brundle and his son Alex would "bounce" well off each other.
Old 4 Aug 2020, 22:39 (Ref:3993030)   #1754
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
Err don't think we need both Brundles in the comm box??!

Croft is getting more and more inane and self absorbed. He really is a leg-end in his own lunchtime.

There must be a better option? Please no-one suggest Nicholls or Jacques... they are just as annoying!
Old 4 Aug 2020, 23:14 (Ref:3993036)   #1755
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I used to enjoy Crofty in his Five Live days. I don’t have Sky, but I have listened to his commentary on YouTube highlights and he does seem to just make sure his voice echo off the walls of the comms box
Old 5 Aug 2020, 13:56 (Ref:3993146)   #1756
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
2 Brundles in the box is a bad idea. Like when they had DC and Brundle. You need 2 different commentators - not both trying to say the same thing.

I hear a lot of people complaining about Crofty, but I don't share those views. Not saying the views are wrong obviously, but he doesn't grate on me like he does others. I mean, he's not even 1% as bad as James Allen and Ant Davidson. And he's sound of mind, unlike poor John Watson in GTWC. And he's not preachy and pretending to be part of the show itself like much of the sportcar world.

I know people don't like Croft, but I do. Just don't let James Allen near the box. I don't watch F1 live very much anymore, but that would actually stop me watching it completely.
Old 6 Aug 2020, 22:25 (Ref:3993432)   #1757
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Croft certainly puts something in mind but i'm not sure it's 'sound of mind.'
Old 6 Aug 2020, 22:37 (Ref:3993435)   #1758
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Croft certainly puts something in mind but i'm not sure it's 'sound of mind.'
I like that.
Old 7 Aug 2020, 10:26 (Ref:3993506)   #1759
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
The thought of having two identical voices in the commentary box is actually terrifying.
Old 7 Aug 2020, 10:30 (Ref:3993509)   #1760
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
2 Brundles in the box is a bad idea. Like when they had DC and Brundle. You need 2 different commentators - not both trying to say the same thing.

I hear a lot of people complaining about Crofty, but I don't share those views. Not saying the views are wrong obviously, but he doesn't grate on me like he does others. I mean, he's not even 1% as bad as James Allen and Ant Davidson. And he's sound of mind, unlike poor John Watson in GTWC. And he's not preachy and pretending to be part of the show itself like much of the sportcar world.

I know people don't like Croft, but I do. Just don't let James Allen near the box. I don't watch F1 live very much anymore, but that would actually stop me watching it completely.
I would have Allen back in a heartbeat over Crofty. And I would never have said that back in the day.

It has been a real case of be careful what you wish for since he left.
Old 7 Aug 2020, 10:54 (Ref:3993513)   #1761
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
I would have Allen back in a heartbeat over Crofty. And I would never have said that back in the day.

It has been a real case of be careful what you wish for since he left.
I used to think that. But then watching some of the clips on the YouTube channel that F1 uploads, I was wrong. Allen was by far the worst commentator F1 has ever had. I'd take Legard over Allen.

Whilst people may not think Croft is 'sound of mind', if you haven't heard Watson in the last year or two then check out GTWC. He truly has lost it. David Addison is basically his minder during those races now.
Old 10 Aug 2020, 12:55 (Ref:3994485)   #1762
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
I used to think that. But then watching some of the clips on the YouTube channel that F1 uploads, I was wrong. Allen was by far the worst commentator F1 has ever had. I'd take Legard over Allen.

Whilst people may not think Croft is 'sound of mind', if you haven't heard Watson in the last year or two then check out GTWC. He truly has lost it. David Addison is basically his minder during those races now.
😂 Watson still knows his beans though.

He's actually quite witty (watty??). Well at least his 'dad' jokes are less corny and are at least funny.

They say sarcasm is the lowest form of wit?

Croft isn't any good at either!
Old 10 Aug 2020, 13:42 (Ref:3994514)   #1763
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
😂 Watson still knows his beans though.

He's actually quite witty (watty??). Well at least his 'dad' jokes are less corny and are at least funny.

They say sarcasm is the lowest form of wit?

Croft isn't any good at either!
The full quote is "Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit but the highest form of intelligence", from Oscar Wilde
Old 10 Aug 2020, 14:51 (Ref:3994540)   #1764
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
The full quote is "Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit but the highest form of intelligence", from Oscar Wilde
Well, that makes things even more bleak for your favourite commentator!! 😂
Old 10 Aug 2020, 15:03 (Ref:3994543)   #1765
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Thank you for that, I've only heard the first part of that sentence before, but now feel enriched (and educated) knowing the whole thing, and who/where it came from.
Old 10 Aug 2020, 15:09 (Ref:3994545)   #1766
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Well, that makes things even more bleak for your favourite commentator!! 😂
When Nick Daman is doing F1 I'll be very happy ;-)
Old 11 Aug 2020, 10:27 (Ref:3994719)   #1767
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Clive James could be sarcastic at times with his F1 narration. Shows that can kind of wit can work
Old 11 Aug 2020, 23:23 (Ref:3994860)   #1768
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Let’s see if it can work.

I think James Allen was really good at commentating and enriched my life while watching F1.
Old 12 Aug 2020, 00:30 (Ref:3994867)   #1769
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I did write something to that effect recently and then felt so bad saying it, I deleted it. But I will say it now - perhaps his voice has a timbre not suited to commentary unless he quietens down the volume. He seems to shout - you can hear the reverberation in the room. And in turn, he makes Martin Brundle get louder too. Ben Edwards, for instance, sounds excited and yet is subtle - it never feels overboard.
I refer to Crofty as the "squeaky shrieker" - really concerned that he's going to burst my eardrums anytime Lewis gets pole, wins a race, passes someone etc - totally with you BR, if he could tame the shrieking he'd be OK - not perfect but then who is?

I really like that he's genuinely enthusiastic about F1 but he needs to tone it down - if he spent some time gong back over some Muddly Talker vids, he'd hear that Muz didn't always get detail right, but he was massively enthusiastic without needing to shriek.
Old 12 Aug 2020, 09:49 (Ref:3994910)   #1770
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
I wonder what it would sound like if Crofty and Ben Edwards were commentating together?
Old 12 Aug 2020, 11:07 (Ref:3994932)   #1771
S griffin
Veteran

I think people would appreciate Ben more if they don’t already now. Ben always seems to be on the rev limiter, whereas Crofty seems to have gone over it
Old 12 Aug 2020, 12:05 (Ref:3994949)   #1772
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I wonder what it would sound like if Crofty and Ben Edwards were commentating together?
I think it would be the same as what I sometimes experience at work. For whatever reason we have two radio's in the workshop and sometimes, someone decides to tune theirs into a different station to the other one. Being in the middle of the two, I can hear nothing but noise!
Old 13 Aug 2020, 15:36 (Ref:3995210)   #1773
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Ben always seems to be on the rev limiter, whereas Crofty seems to have gone over it
Hehehe perhaps with the party modes in the car ECU's being banned from qualifying after Spain, Sky will introduce similar for Crofty to tone him down a little.

I must confess I dont dislike Crofty although I have noticed a rise in his excitement level of late.

Still take him over James Allen and particularly Legard any day.
Old 14 Aug 2020, 08:55 (Ref:3995347)   #1774
S griffin
Veteran

I don't dislike Crofty either, I think he does have a passion for F1 and motorsport in general. However I can see why he grates on some people. He does seem to raise his voice a bit too much at times. Just save it for the appropriate moments
Old 14 Aug 2020, 09:43 (Ref:3995360)   #1775
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
He does seem to raise his voice a bit too much at times. Just save it for the appropriate moments
I think this opinion is held in regards to many who make comments on motorsport......

Tags
pinks