Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Mar 2023, 15:10 (Ref:4145731)   #2901
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
It's pretty dire. As I don't have a Sky subscription I don't have much choice, if I want a race commentary.
Doomed to listen to Qualifying on Radio 5. I cannot believe the lack of grasp of the implications of an early red flag. I assumed Jack Nichols was some kid who has been used because he is cheap - turns out he is a grown up. Jeez. Now droning on about WD40 DURING QUALIFYING!!!!

Last edited by billy bleach; 4 Mar 2023 at 15:15.
Old 18 Mar 2023, 21:08 (Ref:4147999)   #2902
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just heard Coulthard say “this is the great thing about F1 , people can get up close and personal with the action”. WHAT?!!! A more elitiest Sport I cannot think of !!!
Old 18 Mar 2023, 21:45 (Ref:4148051)   #2903
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Gonna give a shout out to Sky for getting Bernie Collins, the strategist most recently from Aston Martin.

Obviously not massively experienced on camera, but her comfort level clearly grew over the FPs and Qually. Very positive contributions, really added to the coverage so far...Looking forward to her input during the race.
Old 18 Mar 2023, 22:23 (Ref:4148083)   #2904
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Gonna give a shout out to Sky for getting Bernie Collins, the strategist most recently from Aston Martin.

Obviously not massively experienced on camera, but her comfort level clearly grew over the FPs and Qually. Very positive contributions, really added to the coverage so far...Looking forward to her input during the race.
Totally agree, a great addition.
Old 18 Mar 2023, 23:22 (Ref:4148109)   #2905
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

Second that - great to have Bernie on the crew, brings a new dimension and will get better & better as she gets used to camera / commentary.
Old 19 Mar 2023, 03:51 (Ref:4148245)   #2906
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Plus another one here. I was very impressed with her matter of fact manner and ability to explain in a manner understandable to the great unwashed.

Usually I have the preamble stuff on in the background but when I saw her on I stopped to watch

Respect.
Old 20 Mar 2023, 12:45 (Ref:4148445)   #2907
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't have sky, think it expensive. But having watched the last two races on ch4, there transmission is getting more annoying. I watched last night's transmission, and about every 10 minutes of action, they went into a commercial break. These breaks seem to be getting longer, on average 6/7 minutes. It is ridiculous. 2 laps to go, then a break
I know they rely on these, but why so many?
Old 20 Mar 2023, 13:15 (Ref:4148452)   #2908
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not sure, but I think they are only allowed to show a small period of actual racing, so they extend the programme with adverts.
Old 20 Mar 2023, 13:18 (Ref:4148453)   #2909
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yeah but the breaks were positively oppressive in this show. I didn't count them, but there must have been what, 7 or 8?
Old 20 Mar 2023, 13:26 (Ref:4148460)   #2910
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Possibly better than the actual race though.
Old 20 Mar 2023, 13:29 (Ref:4148465)   #2911
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Possibly better than the actual race though.
There is that, yes.....
Old 20 Mar 2023, 13:41 (Ref:4148467)   #2912
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
I don't have sky, think it expensive. But having watched the last two races on ch4, there transmission is getting more annoying. I watched last night's transmission, and about every 10 minutes of action, they went into a commercial break. These breaks seem to be getting longer, on average 6/7 minutes. It is ridiculous. 2 laps to go, then a break
I know they rely on these, but why so many?
Ch 4 is my only option too, and generally, due to 'family pressures' I generally record the highlights show and the watch it on my own the following morning. (I do the same thing with qualifying). That way I can fast-forward through all of the padding, including the adverts and concentrate my watching onto the action, plus anything else that I might find interesting (if I have the time).
In light of this I don't find the adverts (or all of the other dross) annoying at all, plus, if the race proves to be processional, I can fast-forward that too, stopping & re-winding to closely watch anything that catches my eye.
I'd also like to say that, 2 races in, I'm really enjoying Jolyon Palmer's contributions, for me his knowledge & explanations certainly add to the enjoyment.
Old 20 Mar 2023, 13:43 (Ref:4148468)   #2913
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
That's probably the best way to do it. But I tend to like to watch it as soon as I can.

I agree about Palmer, he's been a good addition. His presence also seems to 'temper' Alex Jacques overenthusiasm a little somehow....
Old 20 Mar 2023, 13:54 (Ref:4148471)   #2914
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I record the BTCC coverage, and then start watching the recording about an hour after it commenced. That enables me to fast forward all the useless garbage and end up finishing the programme at about the same time as the schedule. Also permits me to pause for bathroom breaks and food and hot drinks without missing anything important.
Old 20 Mar 2023, 14:10 (Ref:4148475)   #2915
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Yeah but the breaks were positively oppressive in this show. I didn't count them, but there must have been what, 7 or 8?
I know here the number of minutes of ads per hour is regulated, and limited to 12 minutes per hour with a slight increase in peak hours (6-11pm). No ads in pre-school TV. In non peak hours the ad content (adult orientated, booze etc) is further restricted. I cant remember whether that includes what are classified as station IDs (programme ads/trailers), Sponsored programmes are another category. Community TV are further restricted than general FTA.
Here it is governed by ACMA (Aus Comms & Media Authority)

Without doubt UK would have to meet similar regulations regarding content and quantity, likely on the same sort of system.

Edit: Yes it is regulated as Aus. The UK regulator is OfCom (Office of Communications.) Link follows which outlines all of the above, re amount and content of advertising, how its calculated etc etc. Titled Rules on the amount and Distribution of Advertising.
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/asse...6328/rules.pdf

Last edited by E.B; 20 Mar 2023 at 14:19. Reason: Added UK regulator and link
Old 20 Mar 2023, 22:49 (Ref:4148568)   #2916
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just wondering, if the BBC lose MOTD, which could happen, maybe they can take over the F1 coverage from CH4. Imagine full races and NO adverts. Yaaay
Old 20 Mar 2023, 23:06 (Ref:4148571)   #2917
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Like Ch4 they wouldn’t be able to have full races as sky would still have the rights for that. Although that would be great.

And yes E.B. there is a limit to the commercials that can be shown in an hour. Nice document link. Not sure how that squares with 6/7 minutes after ten minute of of action.
Old 21 Mar 2023, 00:57 (Ref:4148579)   #2918
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Like Ch4 they wouldn’t be able to have full races as sky would still have the rights for that. Although that would be great.

And yes E.B. there is a limit to the commercials that can be shown in an hour. Nice document link. Not sure how that squares with 6/7 minutes after ten minute of of action.
Yes, I forgot that Sky had the rights to show the races live and in full. But BBC highlights would be better. As for the commercial break timings, I was fed up with them on Sunday night, so I timed them, just to see how long they were, for my own piece of mind.
Old 21 Mar 2023, 08:21 (Ref:4148598)   #2919
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post

I'm not certain whether SKY has the sole rights to only broadcast the whole and live races in the UK, however I do believe that what C4 shows just amounts to what they pay SKY for their broadcasting. Part of C4's contract does permit them to show the whole of the British GP.

It all comes down to money, after all; nothing to do with sport, which is why SKY got the gig after outbidding others.
Old 21 Mar 2023, 08:48 (Ref:4148602)   #2920
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sky has exclusivity rights as part of their deal with F1. It's part of a wider deal that also includes Germany and Italy.

Note the last sentence - "Sky UK & Ireland will remain the exclusive home of F1 until 2029, having first entered partnership with the sport in 2012. Sky Germany and Italy will retain rights until 2027 with greater exclusivity – with all race weekends exclusively live and home nation races simultaneously live on free-to-air."

Sky has then traded that exclusivity in the UK in a deal with CH4. It's a sublicensing arrangement.
Old 21 Mar 2023, 09:49 (Ref:4148608)   #2921
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Moving away from the broadcasters, does anyone else think the "driver's eye view" thing is just tedious? I'd rather watch the cars dancing around corners than see the urgent movement of the steering wheel since I know that's what is happening anyway?
Old 21 Mar 2023, 10:30 (Ref:4148621)   #2922
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It doesn't really add much. It cut to one in Jeddah and a move was being made, but I could barely see the car on the inside, so didn't give as much perspective of the action as the normal onboards.
Old 21 Mar 2023, 10:54 (Ref:4148622)   #2923
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
We don't really need it. Sometimes it can be fun, but it can also be distracting. It's fine at times, but I prefer the normal onboards tbh
Old 21 Mar 2023, 17:28 (Ref:4148691)   #2924
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Moving away from the broadcasters, does anyone else think the "driver's eye view" thing is just tedious? I'd rather watch the cars dancing around corners than see the urgent movement of the steering wheel since I know that's what is happening anyway?
Very tedious and almost unwatchable for me. A pointless gimmick.
Old 21 Mar 2023, 17:52 (Ref:4148694)   #2925
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I doesn't work for night races, there is too much glare, which makes things rather indistinct.

Tags
pinks