Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Feb 2005, 17:02 (Ref:1230789)   #1
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When F1 was on the BBC....

I have read on some other forums of how supposedly great the BBC's coverage of F1 was up until the end of 1996, when it switched to ITV.

My memory is a little sketchy, but I don't remember the BBc's coverage being all that much better than ITV's, if at all.

OK, they didn't have commercial breaks during a race, but I don't remember BBC having much of a build up before a race, or much time to hang around after the checkered flag.

So for those with active memories... Did the BBC really do a much better job of covering F1?
Old 20 Feb 2005, 17:06 (Ref:1230791)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No.

It did a far worse job.

People have rosetinted glasses and think it was better because of no adbreaks.

1995 was the first year the BBC did every race live.

And often before that some races like Brazil, Japan and Canada were commentated from London.
Old 20 Feb 2005, 17:13 (Ref:1230794)   #3
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well i think ITV have improved it so much since the BBC days.
but i never watched it on the BBC always on eurosport.
Old 20 Feb 2005, 17:13 (Ref:1230795)   #4
Raven
Veteran

England
What about qualifying?

I seem to remember some sessions were joined half way through, or with just 10-15mins left and we never had any press conferences afterwards.
Old 20 Feb 2005, 17:20 (Ref:1230800)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indeed.

1996 was the first year we saw every qualifying - and even then it was often joined late.
Old 20 Feb 2005, 17:35 (Ref:1230808)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think when you weigh up the positives and negatives of both channels, the coverage rates about equal.

For me, BBC's coverage was complemented beautifully by Eurosports and that would be a nice situation to return to.
Old 20 Feb 2005, 17:36 (Ref:1230810)   #7
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think if the BBC had formula one now they would take advantage of there interactive service and broadcast all the sessions live. It would mean that even for those sessions that are on prime time in UK time could still be broadcast live without effecting there program line up
Old 20 Feb 2005, 17:37 (Ref:1230814)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You're absolutely right about this guys - when the ITV coverage started I was excited by the amount of time and personnel being dedicated to it, which went a long way beyond what the BBC had done.
Old 20 Feb 2005, 17:52 (Ref:1230826)   #9
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pole2pole
I think if the BBC had formula one now they would take advantage of there interactive service and broadcast all the sessions live. It would mean that even for those sessions that are on prime time in UK time could still be broadcast live without effecting there program line up

I don't think the cost involved would be justified in providing all sessions live in that way.
Old 20 Feb 2005, 17:57 (Ref:1230830)   #10
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I read some posts, I'm happy to life in the Netherlands. Here we have a qualifyings and races live on television. And because the government forbids adbreaks during sport evens, we don't have them.

Last edited by Pingguest; 20 Feb 2005 at 17:58.
Old 20 Feb 2005, 18:03 (Ref:1230836)   #11
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
First F1 year I saw was last part of '95. So all of '96. Those are my only benchposts really.

I'd say though, those years still provided better coverage of F1. Didn't matter that they didn't cover F1 live for qually too, since Eurosport did - between the two, we had perfect coverage...better commentary on Eurosport, but Murray and no-ads on the BBC. SOmething which F1 digital pretty much delivered to (the amusing 'studio' commentary on one feed, or Ben & Watson on the other).

Worked for me. The dedication of ITV was quickly deflated by the ad breaks, Rosenthal, and the nannying presentation as though you'd only just learnt to use your potty.
Old 20 Feb 2005, 18:30 (Ref:1230856)   #12
Kicking-back
Veteran

Eurosport had adbreaks too.

And if we consider viewers without satellite or cable, they get a better deal now than with the BBC.
Old 20 Feb 2005, 18:35 (Ref:1230864)   #13
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
Worked for me. The dedication of ITV was quickly deflated by the ad breaks, Rosenthal, and the nannying presentation as though you'd only just learnt to use your potty.
I totally agree. The dire choice of presenters (with the exception of Brundle) and pit reporters cast a shadow over ITV's entire efforts IMHO. F1's a relatively simple sport for the uninitiated to learn about, so why race after race everything has to be explained as if they're teaching at primary school is beyond me. I have no interest in cricket, rugby and indeed most other sports, but times I have watched a little coverage, the commentators always assume the viewers know the rules already...

I followed F1 since the '92 season, but only religiously since 1994. Certainly ITV have provided more comprehensive coverage, despite the inevitable ad-breaks. But looking back there was something about the BBC coverage that just seemed less... tacky? I can't quite put my finger on it.

I remember the Eurosport days fondly too. Luckily I have access to DSF and RTL, which combined mean I get practice and live qualifying, and can often turn over during ITV breaks. Doesn't look too promising even there for live Sunday qualifying though...
Old 20 Feb 2005, 18:57 (Ref:1230875)   #14
Alan
Racer

United Kingdom
Rotherham, South Yorkshire, UK
Alan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes the nanny approach ruins it for me too. During a football match the commentator doesn't explain the rules of a throw in or corner - you're credited with some knowledge and intelligence.
As for the presenters Brundle holds it all together - try to imagine it without him.
Old 20 Feb 2005, 19:22 (Ref:1230893)   #15
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
Yes the nanny approach ruins it for me too. During a football match the commentator doesn't explain the rules of a throw in or corner - you're credited with some knowledge and intelligence.
But most people know how football works. Like it or not, ITV's coverage is aimed at numpties. If it were merely for petrolheads viewing figures would be near single figures - they need to grab the attention of the Great Unwashed (hence James Allen's hysterics).

And as for the ad breaks...yes, they are highly annoying, and if the telly rules allowed picture-in-picture (so you could see the race in a corner whilst the break continued) there would not be a problem at all. But I remember watching the British GP on BBC2 in 1982 with Derek Warwick in the Belgrano up to 2nd...and the *******s cut away to the cricket for half-an-hour.

The BBC were buggers for this for years, only from around 1986 did they stop interrupting races.
Old 20 Feb 2005, 19:27 (Ref:1230895)   #16
Raven
Veteran

England
That apspect I can live with. Let's face it, the regulations have seen a few changes over the past few years and the cars are constantly being developed. Many casual fans would probably feel alienated if terms like opposite lock and understeer weren't occasionally explained in laymans terms.

I'm a big follower of Snooker and they still often explain the 'miss' rule and what terms like 'check side' mean.
Old 20 Feb 2005, 23:45 (Ref:1230995)   #17
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Been watching F1 races from the 80's, taped from the BBC. What is noticable is how rubbish Murray Walker is, I think Murray got better with age, and i do miss him.
Old 21 Feb 2005, 06:58 (Ref:1231131)   #18
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kicking Back hit the nail on the head

["People have rosetinted glasses and think it was better because of no adbreaks."]

ITV have done a great job...but I do find commercial breaks infuriating.
The beeb did a good job all things considered but ITV have taken it to a far greater level.
ITV please note...here in Saudi (ART Sports sat channel) we used to have commercial breaks but the live action of a GP remained in a little box in the top right corner of the screen. You couldn't see much but it was better than just ads.

Cheers
Peter
Old 21 Feb 2005, 07:26 (Ref:1231149)   #19
Kicking-back
Veteran

As far as I know, advertising/broadcasting regulations don't allow that here.
Old 21 Feb 2005, 09:58 (Ref:1231265)   #20
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they have to break for ads...maybe they could look at strip ads to alternate with the fastest laps/position thing at the bottom of the screen...if they can get over the ad/broadcasting regs.

With an average GP full of advertising, banners and logos etc everywhere you look couldn't they do away with the bloody things...or have a pre and post-race heavy ad slot so they don't interfere with the race.
Can you imagine the up-roar if... just as Wayne Rooney, for instance, was about to crack a shot on goal the screen switches to an ad break. Why should we F1 fans have to put up with it?....I know a GP is 2 hours long and a footie match is 90 mins with a half time but.................and I work in advertising...lol.

Cheers
Peter
Old 21 Feb 2005, 10:18 (Ref:1231288)   #21
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotusonpole
or have a pre and post-race heavy ad slot so they don't interfere with the race.

Advertisers want people to watch their ads so having a big chunk of them is a turn-off clients wouldn't want
Old 21 Feb 2005, 10:39 (Ref:1231304)   #22
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The problem is showing a 2 hour event on a commercial station.

Where football has an advantage is that ad breaks can be concentrated into half time, leaving the 45 mins of play free from adverts.

I have more of an issue with the 'bumpers', by the time you have had F1 on ITV brought to you by ......, followed by ITV F1's own intro - it does drag out the ad breaks even more IMO.
Old 21 Feb 2005, 11:03 (Ref:1231313)   #23
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Without the sponsorship from the Daily Telegraph, the production team would have to find the extra money from somewhere - which would mean either more other adverts, or an inferior quality of coverage.

Adverts during the race are just something we have to put up with, unlike most other sports there aren't even any parts of an F1 race where you can be sure that nothing will happen in the next 30/60/120 seconds. One problem is that the technology used forces them to sequence a break several seconds before it actually starts - on occasion (the Silverstone track invader, for example) an incident was starting when they cut to a break), which is something they could work on. Satellite channels usually have far more advertisements per hour of broadcasting than terrestrial anyway.
Old 21 Feb 2005, 11:09 (Ref:1231317)   #24
Kicking-back
Veteran

The bumpers are needed because of the regional structure of ITV and the fact different areas are playing out different ads in the breaks.

Also the sponsor tags in and out of the breaks are a very lucrative source of revenue.
Old 21 Feb 2005, 11:12 (Ref:1231319)   #25
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would u like it better if they delayed the feed for 4 mins every adbreak, that way we didnt miss anything ?