Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 9 Jun 2001, 18:57 (Ref:103059)   #1
Skivleditch
Rookie

Skivleditch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Them There Vauxalls

Is it just me that is becoming increasingy more angry with every meeting that passes? I am talking about the sudden droves of Vauxall fans. It comes to something when I can't sit at Knickerbrook at cheer on Tim Harvey with my air horn without about a million people staring at me then shouting, "come on Jason!"

I'm afraid it is a clasic case of Manchester United syndrome here. Yeah, fair enough if you've been a plato/muller/vauxall fan since the time john cleland was having his famous "stock car battle" and Jason Plato was but a young whippersnapper burning round Oulton Park in a Renault Spider. But I get the feeling that 90% of this lot just support Vauxall because they are finally winning something again and there is no serious challenger this year. Fair enough, the 147 and peug's are doing well, but their reliablity is still poor and they can't have anything like as much funding.

Well, that's my 2 cents. Probably caused quite a stir I should imagine...
Old 9 Jun 2001, 22:29 (Ref:103116)   #2
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
alright, are you sure it wasn't just the airhorns they had an issue with?
Old 10 Jun 2001, 00:14 (Ref:103159)   #3
Chris Y
Nature's servant
Veteran

United Kingdom
Over there, over here
Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!
You should see the reaction we get when we're supporting John B&Q.. They soon come round to our way of thinking though - unless we pi$$ them off with airhorns
Old 10 Jun 2001, 00:40 (Ref:103171)   #4
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey! Us at Knickerbrook were cheering Tim on too
Old 10 Jun 2001, 09:11 (Ref:103248)   #5
vauxhall
Veteran

vauxhall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
:confused: Would you class me as a ''Mancester United'' fan of Vauxhall, i started supporting them in 1997 when they were at the back! and i dident know about season before that!
Old 10 Jun 2001, 13:53 (Ref:103353)   #6
hunttheshunt
Veteran

hunttheshunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can see why a lot of people would start supporting Vauxhall for the sake of it this season. However, ever since i started folowing the BTCC properly in '94 ive always noticed Vauxhall have had a fair few fans. Could be for a number of reasons-JC, stalwarts of the championship etc.
Old 10 Jun 2001, 15:04 (Ref:103386)   #7
Skivleditch
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by vauxhall
:confused: Would you class me as a ''Mancester United'' fan of Vauxhall, i started supporting them in 1997 when they were at the back! and i dident know about season before that!
Course not. I'd class you as a Leeds United fan. With them when they were winning, and losing and now right back to winning again. I have no proble with that. I know support for vauxall has always been big, but it's just got stupid now!

And I'm proud of my air horn! Just 'cos you're all jealous!
Old 10 Jun 2001, 15:12 (Ref:103390)   #8
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Vauxhalls supporters may have something to do with that its part British. Wait till you see the MG supportters - they'll be thousands!
Old 10 Jun 2001, 16:41 (Ref:103411)   #9
Motorsport Fan
Rookie

Motorsport Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with everyone becomeing Vauxhall fans. Its best to go for the Winner in all sports then you become much happier and your man always win.
Old 11 Jun 2001, 16:23 (Ref:103959)   #10
Skivleditch
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Motorsport Fan
I agree with everyone becomeing Vauxhall fans. Its best to go for the Winner in all sports then you become much happier and your man always win.
But where's the fun in watching a race that you can already be sure that you're team is going to win? Might as well stay at home!
Old 11 Jun 2001, 17:35 (Ref:103979)   #11
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So what do you call me....

Supported Vauxhall since year dot and what happens? The year they do well I am supporting JSM.

Oh well someone has to yell for the underdog and our day will come.... sometime..... soon please....
Old 11 Jun 2001, 18:42 (Ref:104006)   #12
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
les, luv, i'm sure it's not you... i have curses on people too (john b&q, watch out..).

now, you stop using my beloved manchester united in such an evil context. evil people

a lot of people get involved in motorsport by picking someone to support, and cheering for them. this way they get emotionally involved, and get lots of highs (and lows). usually, this person or team is leading, am i right? (er, ok, minardi haven't lead a race for a while, but you see my point..) hence the huge numbers of vauxhall fans. it happen anywhere. the cart most popular driver award, for example. it's been montoya for a few years, now everyone has jumped on the helio castroneves bandwagon.

don't be nasty, i'm sure quite a few of these fans wouldn't be at the races had they though 'ooh, nice looking car, think i'll follow them', or 'hey, that muller's a bit of alright' (er, ok, fewer thought that..).

those apes around us at silverstone didn't look too pleased with the idea of a bunch of hooligans with airhorns at that time of night
Old 12 Jun 2001, 16:59 (Ref:104447)   #13
Skivleditch
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Les
So what do you call me....

Supported Vauxhall since year dot and what happens? The year they do well I am supporting JSM.

Oh well someone has to yell for the underdog and our day will come.... sometime..... soon please....
YAY! Go team harvey!
Old 13 Jun 2001, 19:50 (Ref:104867)   #14
Peter.S
Rookie

Peter.S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I find it sad that someone has to complain about people that are not supporting his favourite driver.
The fact that people are there to support their favourite driver must be good for any championship.
Surely any close competitive racing must be worth any form of support.
If you only support Tim Harvey, what did you do last year?
Old 14 Jun 2001, 10:50 (Ref:105074)   #15
Janice_Angel
Rookie

Janice_Angel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely it is up to each individual to chose the way they want to support the championship, be it either by team or driver. I for one am a driver fan - I have supported James Thompson since he arrived in the BTCC and supported him in the DTM, and will continue to do so whilst he continues to race. Should he leave the BTCC to race in another championship, whilst I will still continue my interest in BTCC, I will also have an interest in the championship JT moves on to.

Going on the recent history of teams in the BTCC, it would appear that supporting driver is much more worthwhile than teams, 99.9% of them jumped ship after 1999, and those that did stay only did so for one more season, other than Vauxhall.

I'm afraid I believe in the drivers much more than the cars - yes, it's important to have a decent car, but it is the driver who puts in the stunning driving, i.e. in F1, if you put Schumacher and Trulli in comparative cars, there's not much doubt who would win - it's all down to driver style.

However, surely it's up to individuals how they decide to support the BTCC, everyone is entitled to their own views.