Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 21 Jun 2020, 20:21 (Ref:3983118)   #51
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
I was mildly surprised to discover that I'd apparently started a thread but fair play to you, Peter, it is a worthy topic
It was your turn.
Old 21 Jun 2020, 20:32 (Ref:3983120)   #52
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
At Sebring in 2006; still slightly jet lagged and needing a pick up late afternoon with not a coffee stall in sight.

Salvation came in the form of frozen key lime pie dipped in molten chocolate - a US sized portion into the bargain - and it worked !!

Sadly when we returned in 2019 we couldn't find such a delicacy; there was coffee but, frankly, it was a poor substitute !
Old 22 Jun 2020, 06:04 (Ref:3983159)   #53
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Being weak , liberal, pantywaist democrats my wife and I didn't dare try the Seven Pound Sandwich on our NASCAR adventure to Charlotte NC a few years ago - Hell no . Because y'all need to know that this monster had four pounds of cheese, two pounds of pulled pork and a trifling pound of bacon.
Old 22 Jun 2020, 06:47 (Ref:3983167)   #54
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Back when I worked at Lotus, one of our engineers had to visit Detroit.

Arriving in the evening, he went straight to his hotel & checked-in. After about five minutes the 'phone rang & a voice asked how he liked his steak done.

"It's OK" he said, "I've already eaten this evening."

"No, no" was the reply, "for breakfast..."
Old 22 Jun 2020, 07:35 (Ref:3983177)   #55
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Some thirty odd years, as a "well done" to my twin boys for gaining entrance to the schools of their own choice, I treated the family to a month's holiday in Florida. Our first stop was in Orlando, where we stayed for the first week.

That night we went to a nearby steak restaurant, and after ordering our food, the waiter brought us glasses of iced water and plonked a plate of salad in front of each of us. Not knowing any better, all four of us put the salad to the side of our cutlery and carried on waiting for our food to be delivered. This caused a problem for the waiting staff, for little did we know that in posher restaurants back then (might be the same now), because the main course is not served until you have consumed the salad. You live and learn!

On our second night, we decided to try a restaurant that advertised that it served locally sourced food, and was just around the corner from the hotel.

I can't remember what the boys and I ordered for our starters, but it would have been something plain and ordinary, something like a seafood cocktail, because we were all wimps. But my wife, being adventuress, went for deep fried, breadcrumbed alligator tail.

When our food was served, my wife went into raptures over the alligator tail, saying that it was the best thing that she had ever eaten (slight exaggeration on her part, but that was her all over - you should have seen her solicitor's correspondence on her behalf during our divorce battle), and after badgering her incessantly she finally allowed us wimps to try a little morsel of her starter.

Well, I must admit it was delicious. It reminded me of eating (those of a delicate nature should avert their eyes at this point) really succulent veal, but much, much sweeter.
Old 22 Jun 2020, 08:00 (Ref:3983179)   #56
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Back when I worked at Lotus, one of our engineers had to visit Detroit.
Sometimes you have a moment when you travel abroad. I remember using a poor quality translator giving "bloody steak" instead of medium as the best suggestion to " steak saignant". In some countries, you must not be surprised to hear the waiter suggest "like some f... of potatoes with it, sir?"!