Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 10 Oct 2003, 06:01 (Ref:745923)   #1
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another reason not to go to Victoria

These speed cameras are just getting beyond a joke.
http://www.drive.com.au/news/article...XGWV44LLD.html

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 10 Oct 2003, 06:41 (Ref:745970)   #2
coln72
Racer

coln72 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is scary. A 3km/h tolerance over a 300km stretch of road!!! A <censored> 2.7% error allowed.

As if they will turn off the cameras and loose all that loverly money....oops, I mean save all those lives.
Old 10 Oct 2003, 19:20 (Ref:746634)   #3
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
2.7%? I could be wrong but I believe our construction and use regs allow for a speedo tolerance of + or- 10%. The pointer on the dial is wider than 2.7% surely!!!
Old 10 Oct 2003, 23:52 (Ref:746825)   #4
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
I am pretty sure that the Australian design rule for spedo tollerance is 10%. So i think you would have a fairly good court case if you got a ticket.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 11 Oct 2003, 00:25 (Ref:746851)   #5
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Did some looking on the net, here is the design rule

The Australian Motor Vehicle Standards Act, (known as the Australian Design Rules, or ADR [1]) sets requirements for speedometers installed in vehicles to be used on the road throughout Australia as:

"indicate the actual speed, for all speeds above 40 km/h, to an accuracy of ± 10 percent."

State Legislatures have also set their own minimum requirement. For example New South Wales Traffic Law [2] requires that speedometers:

"indicate, when the vehicle is travelling at a speed in excess of 50 km/h, a speed that is not more than 10% less than actual speed".

This web page makes for some interesting reading, if you are into technical stuff
http://www.aussiemotorists.com/misc/msa-speedo.html

Old 12 Oct 2003, 08:59 (Ref:747978)   #6
coln72
Racer

I'm aware of the + or - 10% design rule. Someone needs to tell the Vic government. Their opinion is that if you are in doubt of you speedos reading you need to travel at 10% under the limit to be safe!!!!!!!!!

There was a letter advertised in the Sun last friday that was sent to the police stating the above and that the person was not going to pay the fine and if it went any further lawyers were going to be involved. Hasnt heard back from the police in 2 or so months........
Old 18 Oct 2003, 10:33 (Ref:754998)   #7
Roy Slaven
Rookie

Roy Slaven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There a lots of reasons not to go to Mexico and that would now be another
Old 18 Oct 2003, 13:57 (Ref:755092)   #8
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rolling Diameters.....

Quote:
Originally posted by mtpanorama
I am pretty sure that the Australian design rule for spedo tollerance is 10%. So i think you would have a fairly good court case if you got a ticket.
Not to mention the vast assortment of wheel and tyre combinations you see that would also (legally)contribute to the inaccuracy of the indicated speed. Victorian coppers need to get a life! Speed is only one factor contributing to the road toll - the main cause is usually the nut behind the wheel! (stomps off, stage right ....:confused
Old 20 Oct 2003, 07:50 (Ref:756638)   #9
coln72
Racer

Your preaching to the converted here GTB. I don't think it is the police departments fault. It is the governments grap for cash that if the guilty party here. They need the money from use stupid and dangerous drivers traveling at 103 km/h to keep them from going back into the red as far as their budget goes.

I think the majority of speed cameras are now operated by private operators.