Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 13 May 2006, 14:29 (Ref:1607909)   #1
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Farina's Winning First Ever Formula 1 Race

I have just attended an auction and couldn't believe my luck with what I just found.
I've attached an example of one of the photos which shows Farina crossing the line to win the GP at Silverstone in May 1950.
I think it may be an original but would love some confirmation.
Old 13 May 2006, 18:07 (Ref:1608839)   #2
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Did you realise that you're posting this on the anniversary of the race?

Also, is it just me who gets annoyed when Farina is constantly included in lists of debut achievements?
Old 13 May 2006, 18:11 (Ref:1608845)   #3
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry.not the first ever F1 race,but the the first world championship race.
Old 13 May 2006, 18:19 (Ref:1608855)   #4
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sorry thats what I meant... all the same
Old 13 May 2006, 20:51 (Ref:1608978)   #5
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSands
Sorry thats what I meant... all the same
No it b@$$dy isn't! The first race run officially to F1 regulations took place in 1947 and it can be argued that there were three forerunners to this in late 1946, since the FIA had announced the regulations before they took place but it may be pure coincidence that they were run to 1.5/4.5 regs.

Nice picture, but I can't help feeling I've seen it before.

Bob Marley
Old 13 May 2006, 22:03 (Ref:1609024)   #6
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
This suggests it was
http://www.gpracing.net192.com/history/fifties01.cfm
Old 14 May 2006, 06:53 (Ref:1609262)   #7
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Paul, all that says is that it was 'The first World Championship race'. The comment that it was not the first race run to F1 regs doesn't make the two statements mutually exclusive, since it appears that both are strictly true. However, I'm not that hung up about Farina being credited with a debut achievement as Vitesse is, since he certainly was the first winner of the first race counting towards the first World Championship!
Old 14 May 2006, 08:56 (Ref:1609314)   #8
David McKinney
Veteran

David McKinney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
However, I'm not that hung up about Farina being credited with a debut achievement as Vitesse is, since he certainly was the first winner of the first race counting towards the first World Championship!
Sorry John, even that's not true
The first official World Championship for GP racing was run in the 1920s
Formula 1 was the GP formula from 1947, as Vitesse says, and covered probably 30 European races each year from then until 1951. From 1950 the placed men in a handful of the more important of those races were allocated points towards a new World Championship.
Farina did not win the first world championship race and he did not win the first Formula 1 race. He did win the first world championship Formula 1 race
Old 14 May 2006, 09:10 (Ref:1609321)   #9
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I should have learned to choose my words more carefully by now, with you looking over my shoulder all the time, David! I was, of course, aware of previous world championships and of previous F1 races. My 'crime' was to fail to include 'F1' in my statement vis-a-vis 'first World championship'!
Old 14 May 2006, 10:35 (Ref:1609377)   #10
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Paul, all that says is that it was 'The first World Championship race'. The comment that it was not the first race run to F1 regs doesn't make the two statements mutually exclusive, since it appears that both are strictly true. However, I'm not that hung up about Farina being credited with a debut achievement as Vitesse is, since he certainly was the first winner of the first race counting towards the first World Championship!
All I'm concerned with is accuracy.

As David's pointed out, there was a previous AIACR World Championship for three years in the 1920s, but as that was purely for manufacturers the strictly accurate statement is that Farina was the winner of the first race for the FIA World Championship for Drivers. To be honest, including "F1" in the mix is just a way of further muddying the waters, since the title was awarded on the results of races run to F2 in 1952 and 1953.

Bob Marley
Old 14 May 2006, 14:13 (Ref:1609556)   #11
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitesse
All I'm concerned with is accuracy.
And I think that my earliest post on this thread was supporting that view!

Quote:
To be honest, including "F1" in the mix is just a way of further muddying the waters, since the title was awarded on the results of races run to F2 in 1952 and 1953.
Not really, because that was AFTER the events discussed in this thread, took place. However, I think that is a separate discussion and I'll retire injured (self inflicted!) now! Interesting picture, anyway, Paul!

Last edited by John Turner; 14 May 2006 at 17:00. Reason: A clarification!
Old 14 May 2006, 22:56 (Ref:1609956)   #12
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
I'm quite happy for the thread title to be changed, I was just excited after getting back with a fistful of goodies
Old 14 May 2006, 23:48 (Ref:1610069)   #13
D-Type
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coulsdon, Surrey
D-Type should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm with Vitesse on this

Giancarlo Baghetti won on his Formula 1 debut, at Syracusa in 1961
He also won on his World championship debut, at Reims in 1961
Tony Brooks won on his Formula 1 debut, at Syracusa in 1955
Mario Andretti and Carlos Reutemann made their Formula 1 and Championship debuts from pole position.

Although technically Farina won and set pole on his World Championship debut, it is not the same achievement at all.

The terms Formula 1 race, World Championship qualifier, Grand Prix, and Grande Epreuve (do these still exist?) are simply not the same.

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.
Old 15 May 2006, 07:31 (Ref:1610218)   #14
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSands
I was just excited after getting back with a fistful of goodies
Quite right, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-type
I'm with Vitesse on this

Giancarlo Baghetti won on his Formula 1 debut, at Syracusa in 1961
He also won on his World championship debut, at Reims in 1961
Tony Brooks won on his Formula 1 debut, at Syracusa in 1955
Mario Andretti and Carlos Reutemann made their Formula 1 and Championship debuts from pole position.

Although technically Farina won and set pole on his World Championship debut, it is not the same achievement at all.

The terms Formula 1 race, World Championship qualifier, Grand Prix, and Grande Epreuve (do these still exist?) are simply not the same.
Well, actually, I think we are all with Vitesse on this, and whilst you have listed a number of interesting facts, they were all after the Farina achievement and have taken us into a new area of discussion, don't you think? I don't believe any of us were confusing the Farina fact with any of the later accomplishments that you have listed. Since Paul is happy for us to do so, perhaps we should retitle this thread 'Interesting firsts in World Championship, GP and F1 Racing' (if that is all embracing enough) which we could then use as a catchall.

Are we up for that?
Old 15 May 2006, 14:22 (Ref:1610622)   #15
David McKinney
Veteran

David McKinney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wouldn't it make the rest of the thread impossibly comfusing?
Old 15 May 2006, 15:47 (Ref:1610699)   #16
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
Yes it would wouldnt it...lets do it
Old 15 May 2006, 16:40 (Ref:1610767)   #17
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by David McKinney
Wouldn't it make the rest of the thread impossibly confusing?
You mean it's not already? However, if you think so, I guess I have no chance. Still Paul obviously feels mischievous, so I've compromised and created a 'spin off' thread. It's here; just hope somebody posts on it now!

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83466
Old 15 May 2006, 20:00 (Ref:1610933)   #18
Corktree
Rookie

United States
Corktree should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After the FISA voted in April 1980 to terminate the existing "world championship" series which had been created by the CSI in the Fall of 1949 to commence in 1950, it created a new "Formula One World Championship" effective with the 1981 season, thereby making the 1981 Long Beach Grand Prix the first actual "Formula One World Championship" event.
Old 16 May 2006, 20:43 (Ref:1611852)   #19
D-Type
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coulsdon, Surrey
D-Type should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
~
Nice picture, but I can't help feeling I've seen it before.
Richard,
You probably have, it's in Formula One Unseen Archives by Tim Hill, Page 14. So it's a Daily Mail photo.

Don,
Thanks for the FOCA/FISA/FIA reminder - I can never remember the year. A shrewd move on the part of M. Balestre.

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.
Old 25 Jan 2011, 20:48 (Ref:2820527)   #20
Corktree
Rookie

United States
Corktree should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There seems to be an inability on the part of most of our part to refer to it by its correct name from 1950 until 1980: championnat du monde des conducteurs or the world championship for drivers. Doing so would reduce the likelihood of any confusion with the original CSI world championship the began in 1925 and was for manufacturers and not drivers.