Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 14 Mar 2023, 15:36 (Ref:4147038)   #701
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
I'm old enough to have seen a steam ploughing set being used for real; must have been around 1960, when the fields were claggy even by Lincolnshire fens standards.

One of the local farmers, sick of his tractors getting bogged down when attempting to plough, decided that steam still had its uses!
Old 14 Mar 2023, 17:49 (Ref:4147063)   #702
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Is there any vehicle that is steam powered anymore? I can't think of any. But hey it's good to look back to those old days.
Old 15 Mar 2023, 03:38 (Ref:4147124)   #703
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
The 2 door coupe I couldnt work out what it is. Pretty car whatever it is. And in great nick
Edit: Maybe a '64-ish Mercury Comet?

https://tentenths.com/forum/attachme...1&d=1675170344
The above car I posted provoked a bit of interest here so.....

I saw this video (Link below) with quite a nice rural Aus Ford v GM/Holden story attached about a guy who has a Comet he uses as a road car/comp car that he transports on a Mercury truck (as did his Father) from period so though its a nice bit of Americana living on out here. The whole rig looks stunning. FYI back in the day the whole Ford v Holden thing split families and was quite a source of arguments and fights
Quote:
Growing up, John was surrounded by early Ford’s. His father, Jim was an early pioneer of drag racing in Sydney, and the two could often be seen driving their ’64 Mercury Truck with ’64 Comet perched on top. Over the years the vintage combo would cover more than 100,000km’s to participate in early Ford club days, drag race meets and swap meets right across Australia. And as John recounts, he wouldn’t have it any other way.
https://youtu.be/BdiBxwbKOmc
Old 15 Mar 2023, 04:04 (Ref:4147127)   #704
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Moving right along, spotted a couple of things over the weekend.
First time I have seen the Corvette in the flesh.
Ive seen the late 50's Chev before but cant remember if I have posted pics. Beautiful car though
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4753.JPG   IMG_4750.JPG   IMG_4751.JPG  

IMG_4752.JPG   IMG_4754.JPG  
Old 15 Mar 2023, 04:11 (Ref:4147128)   #705
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Oh and whilst having a 7:00 am coffee fix at Maccas this Toyota Celica /Supra twinset pulled up behind me.
Yes it was just coffee.... rather than eat Maccas I had made up some bacon cheese and tomato butties (double bacon!) for the trip before I left home.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4838.JPG   IMG_4840.JPG   IMG_4839.JPG  

Old 15 Mar 2023, 11:32 (Ref:4147148)   #706
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Looks like they are trying to be like Knight Rider there
Old 15 Mar 2023, 15:49 (Ref:4147174)   #707
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
I'm old enough to have seen a steam ploughing set being used for real; must have been around 1960, when the fields were claggy even by Lincolnshire fens standards.

One of the local farmers, sick of his tractors getting bogged down when attempting to plough, decided that steam still had its uses!
I took my parents along - Mum grew up on a farm so she likes seeing the old stuff. I'd never actually seen the steam ploughing being done before so it was interesting to see. Also a good excuse to peruse the assorted local food and drink options that are invariably on offer

Quote:
Oh and whilst having a 7:00 am coffee fix at Maccas this Toyota Celica /Supra twinset pulled up behind me.
I like those Have to say I prefer those to some of the later models.
Old 15 Mar 2023, 18:28 (Ref:4147201)   #708
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Yes it was just coffee.... rather than eat Maccas I had made up some bacon cheese and tomato butties (double bacon!) for the trip before I left home.
Was never a fan of the Venetian blinds on the back window look.
Old 16 Mar 2023, 11:50 (Ref:4147271)   #709
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's very of a period. Weirdly certain groups of cars here have tried to bring them back and somehow they are worse than those of the past
Old 21 Mar 2023, 02:18 (Ref:4148582)   #710
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
For those who know Atlanta, yup you could smell this car. And yes, both smells were in force and potent
Old 21 Mar 2023, 02:19 (Ref:4148583)   #711
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
The lady driving this car was definitely younger than the car, and drove like she stole it. Small spot of the "wood grain" peeling at the front arch, otherwise perfect Buick

Old 21 Mar 2023, 02:35 (Ref:4148584)   #712
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
The lady driving this car was definitely younger than the car, and drove like she stole it. Small spot of the "wood grain" peeling at the front arch, otherwise perfect Buick

Quote:
For those who know Atlanta, yup you could smell this car. And yes, both smells were in force and potent
Two great spots!! And two good stories. Here's another story....

This is a 68 Olds Delta 98 with the 455 Olds Rocket motor, owned by a fellow local high school soccer coach. Dude learned how to drive in this car. Was his dad's and was gold with a black top but wanted the white on white. I was looking in the trunk when I asked about any rust and he said "don't look close, it's a New York car. It's there."

That's a two door car next to a four door.
Old 21 Mar 2023, 08:45 (Ref:4148601)   #713
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

In 1983, my wife and I took our twins to Florida for about three and a half weeks as way of congratulating them for exceeding their expected exam results to get into the schools of their choice. I had booked a station wagon from Alamo to be picked up at Orlando, but it wasn't there on arrival. In fact, they only had a compact, which I foolishly accepted just so that we could get to the hotel on Internation Drive, leaving half the luggage at the rental place.

The following morning I went back to the airport where they exchanged the compact for a fairly new station wagon and took the rest of the luggage. After a few days the air-con packed up, so back to Alamo to swap again. The second one also had a failure so had to go back.

Then they handed me the keys to a station wagon similar to the one pictured, but with full wood external trim around all the windows; what a monster, but far superior to anything else they had given us.
Old 22 Mar 2023, 02:20 (Ref:4148751)   #714
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
So Ferrari stealing ideas from Jag now? Looks like a sanded and slightly stretched F Type to me

He also was actually behind the stop line at the red, kept inching forward cause Ferrari I guess
Old 22 Mar 2023, 09:54 (Ref:4148772)   #715
S griffin
Veteran

Of all the cars Ferrari could have taken ideas from, they choose Jaguar. Unless it's just a coincidence, I think I've seen a few Ferraris like that
Old 22 Mar 2023, 22:34 (Ref:4148862)   #716
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
He also was actually behind the stop line at the red, kept inching forward cause Ferrari I guess
I don’t get this. Why when the light is red do people keep repeatedly inching forward. It’s much easier to not! More often than not the same person is the last to realise when it does actually go green!

And, while we are at it, why is it difficult for some to stop before the white line in the first place? OK, if the red gets you by surprise (which still isn’t great), but some cruise up at no great speed and still can’t do it.

Grumble grumble.
Old 22 Mar 2023, 23:03 (Ref:4148867)   #717
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
And, while we are at it, why is it difficult for some to stop before the white line in the first place? OK, if the red gets you by surprise (which still isn’t great), but some cruise up at no great speed and still can’t do it.

Grumble grumble.

Possibly because they know that they won't be getting a 5 second penalty?
Old 22 Mar 2023, 23:10 (Ref:4148868)   #718
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Old 23 Mar 2023, 02:24 (Ref:4148875)   #719
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Well done sir, well done.
Old 23 Mar 2023, 15:26 (Ref:4148924)   #720
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

I somehow missed this the other day. That is a beast and a half. It has been a few years since ive seen one. I'm trying to remember, was there a rear facing 3rd row? or did it have two benches that faced the middle?
Old 24 Mar 2023, 03:35 (Ref:4148989)   #721
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
No one is going to beat the beast and a half. Peak thread.

I have a nice big old Merc, but relatively not that big!

And a car parked so badly that they put a yellow sticker in it saying you’ve parked so badly we’re coming to tow this away tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
5C9E8FC7-8FB4-4747-9452-134C10D34D21.jpeg   D9ACEBD9-D0FD-4AD6-B990-B9C1FF7104B1.jpeg  
Old 24 Mar 2023, 18:08 (Ref:4149051)   #722
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Guy was taking pictures in a lot when I stopped. Slammed to the deck cause it's kewwl
Old 24 Mar 2023, 23:12 (Ref:4149072)   #723
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
That is glorious. The Neapolitan.
Old 25 Mar 2023, 02:33 (Ref:4149081)   #724
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Two great spots!! And two good stories. Here's another story....

This is a 68 Olds Delta 98 with the 455 Olds Rocket motor, owned by a fellow local high school soccer coach. Dude learned how to drive in this car. Was his dad's and was gold with a black top but wanted the white on white. I was looking in the trunk when I asked about any rust and he said "don't look close, it's a New York car. It's there."

That's a two door car next to a four door.
That IS your father's Oldsmobile and it's rad.
Old 25 Mar 2023, 02:36 (Ref:4149082)   #725
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

I wanna buy it and put a turbo LS and a Ford 9" in it. Everything else stays exactly the same. I'd be searching ebay for every Buick hub cap I could find. I think I have a head start because I own one, maybe two of those right now.