Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 10 Aug 2009, 02:24 (Ref:2518555)   #26
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Winton are looking to attract the regulars of 6 Hour Relays whether they be at Winton or at other Circuits.

I am sure the emphasis will be on the safety of the participants.

The current 6 Hour events at Winton and Phillip Island are under L2S and Club Licence conditions and I have seen no issues with this as far as safety goes.

Yes 24 hours is a longer event, but drivers only need to drive as fast as their nominated lap times, or as fast as they feel comfortable.

Just for the record, and like Bimmerhead suggested, I also go about 9.9/10ths of both myself and my cars capabilites as I really struggle to be consistent unless I do it this way, I would be very unsuccesful at being consistent if I was to drive at 7/10ths, it is called the 'red mist' LOL.
Old 10 Aug 2009, 03:33 (Ref:2518565)   #27
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There were certainly no problems at PI yesterday, a couple of minor incidents and a few spins from what I saw but everyone seemed to be pretty sensible and a couple that weren't were pretty quickly hauled in for full and frank discussion.
Old 10 Aug 2009, 05:44 (Ref:2518586)   #28
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Trev View Post
Thanks for those positive contributors.

There are a couple of regulars here on 10-10ths that find it impossible to say anything positive without first bagging it out, and you don't have to be Einstein to work out who they are, a couple of people who have been burnt by the racing system so they take it upon themselves to look for everything negative if it has to do with motorsport and given an opinion on it.
Instead of trying to put others down Trev, go and read what I said - do something DIFFERENT (if that's posible) and give the competitors variety instead of running the same type of event over and over (which, btw, if it were really populart, would never have folded in the first place - doesn't need anyone to be an Einstein to figure that one out).

The only negative aspect of what I wrote was about having inexperienced drivers race at night - and that is a safety aspect, has nothing to do with 'bagging' anyone.

But, of course, if you can't come up with your own ideas to make an event different and therefore sufficiently different to make drivers WANT to enter it, go ahead and try to blame others. The sport doesn't need another one event wonder because that will certainly stop others from trying it as well. Is that what you really want?
Old 10 Aug 2009, 06:00 (Ref:2518589)   #29
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsStalker View Post
Instead of trying to put others down Trev, go and read what I said - do something DIFFERENT (if that's posible) and give the competitors variety instead of running the same type of event over and over (which, btw, if it were really populart, would never have folded in the first place - doesn't need anyone to be an Einstein to figure that one out).

The only negative aspect of what I wrote was about having inexperienced drivers race at night - and that is a safety aspect, has nothing to do with 'bagging' anyone.

But, of course, if you can't come up with your own ideas to make an event different and therefore sufficiently different to make drivers WANT to enter it, go ahead and try to blame others. The sport doesn't need another one event wonder because that will certainly stop others from trying it as well. Is that what you really want?
What opportunities are there to race at night in Australia, and gain that experience? You have to start somewhere, why not with an event like this?

I for one shall be there, its great to have a 24hr event happening again in Australia imo.
And for the record, I personally know of 4 drivers, who all have put in expressions of interest in doing the event, as entries themselves haven't opened yet.
Old 10 Aug 2009, 09:45 (Ref:2518671)   #30
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
(which, btw, if it were really populart, would never have folded in the first place - doesn't need anyone to be an Einstein to figure that one out).
The guy who ran them couldn't afford to take the loss it was making any longer even with help from Pedders and you have to remember this was around the time of the "Recession we had to have" as well so money was tight for everybody.

Even the 6 hour ran out of puff for a couple of years and was successfully revived and is able to support two virtually identical events (CAMS @ PI & AASA @ Winton) at the moment although this 24 hour event could affect both 6 hour events in the end.
Old 10 Aug 2009, 10:03 (Ref:2518682)   #31
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The 2009 Winton/AROCA 6 Hour Relay of over 40 teams sold out in 4 days and I am told reliably that the 2009 Phillip Island 6 Hour Relay sold out for 50 teams in not much more than that, so as Newstalker indicates they are unpopular- REALLY????? Maybe someone should tell the competitors that

Again, check your facts N/S.
Old 10 Aug 2009, 12:47 (Ref:2518772)   #32
Adam Ronke
Racer

Australia
Between Winton & Wakefield
Adam Ronke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its a shame there has to be so much negativity on this forum, that is the reason I hardly visit anymore. It saddens me that people always look for reasons why things can't happen, not how we can make them happen!

This is an event that I approached the committee of Benalla Auto Club and asked if we could do it, they decided that the club level motorsport competitor needed this event. It is an intiative we have taken to give the competitors their own "Bathurst"

I competed at Phillip Island on the weekend with 50 teams, and 13 on the waiting list, generally there is a different 40 teams for the Winton 6 hour, which is over subscribed already. Organisers of both these events have expressed their desire to be involved in the 24 hour event, which is absolutely fantastic.

We will be talking to the experts to come up with a scoring system that is fair for everyone.

There is a lot of work to be done, this event is for the people, and we are open to suggestions or critiscms, but I won't cop a bagging, so please don't even bother. Lets all work together to make this a success.

A working party is being established which includes myself and BigTrev and a couple of others. We will be working through the logistics of how this will happen.
Old 10 Aug 2009, 14:12 (Ref:2518835)   #33
Belly13
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst, NSW
Belly13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, good on the guys involved in trying to make this happen. Wouldn't be a bad spectacle, but these relay things aren't my sort of thing. Still, there are obviously a lot of people who do enjoy them, and good on them as well.
Good luck in making it happen.
GRM's #1 Supporter 2014
Bloody Volvo Drivers...
Old 11 Aug 2009, 07:36 (Ref:2519334)   #34
NewsStalker
Veteran

One other comment (adam - have a good think about it - and Trev - pull yer head in, it isn't a criticism in any way...)

The idea was floated before about using both long and short tracks, and a few cooments about why it can't or can be done.

Some of the races I am now involved in have multiple courses throughout the event - one 24 hour race reduces the track length at dusk (by about 1-2km) to take out some of the more 'dangerous sections' and also inaccessible areas at night, then reintroduce other areas at daybreak to lengthen the track again (but in these cases the additional track is usually a completely different section). So in effect the competitors are getting three different tracks (with some commonality) during the course of the 24 hours. Admittedly these course are usually anywhere between 5 and 12 km in length per lap, but the fact they do this shows it can be done if planned beforehand.

There could be no reason the track is changed at, say, sunset and again at sunrise to remove (if needed) the 'new section'. Use a pace car to control the field whilst the track is altered and you don;t run the risk of trying to move/remove the tyre barriers between the two courses. A pace car also offers the ability to really slow down the traffic for 1, 2 or 3 laps to ensure the work is done safely.

And, if anyone is thinking 'But the garages are on the new section ' - simple - pit lane entry goes from being 30 metres long to 130 metres long - again, could be controlled for speed by either witches hat placement or event tyres.

IOW - it gives the event more variety for everyone plus no one is disadvantaged by being garaged in the 'new area'.

Think of the new track as the 'box' and think outside it - hell, you could even hold some entertaiment on the grass infield section of the extension at night if you wanted to - and do it safely!
Old 11 Aug 2009, 07:55 (Ref:2519346)   #35
Adam Ronke
Racer

Australia
It is being run on the Long circuit, so why are we even discussing this??
Old 11 Aug 2009, 10:20 (Ref:2519460)   #36
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Quote:
The idea was floated before about using both long and short tracks, and a few cooments about why it can't or can be done.
Just to humour you however...the reason that it was floated was because it wasnt believed that the council permit would cover the long track after dusk. IT has been resolved that the permit DOES allow the long track, so it shall be used for the entire race [/end of]
Old 11 Aug 2009, 10:34 (Ref:2519468)   #37
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ronke View Post

I'm happy that the long track is being used for the entire event as the idea of cars turning onto the long track to get to pit lane at night on race line into the esses is dangerous as seen at the A7CC meeting recently with a couple of near misses.
Old 11 Aug 2009, 23:24 (Ref:2519884)   #38
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Its a shame there has to be so much negativity on this forum, that is the reason I hardly visit anymore. It saddens me that people always look for reasons why things can't happen, not how we can make them happen!

This is an event that I approached the committee of Benalla Auto Club and asked if we could do it, they decided that the club level motorsport competitor needed this event. It is an intiative we have taken to give the competitors their own "Bathurst"

I competed at Phillip Island on the weekend with 50 teams, and 13 on the waiting list, generally there is a different 40 teams for the Winton 6 hour, which is over subscribed already. Organisers of both these events have expressed their desire to be involved in the 24 hour event, which is absolutely fantastic.

We will be talking to the experts to come up with a scoring system that is fair for everyone.

There is a lot of work to be done, this event is for the people, and we are open to suggestions or critiscms, but I won't cop a bagging, so please don't even bother. Lets all work together to make this a success.

A working party is being established which includes myself and BigTrev and a couple of others. We will be working through the logistics of how this will happen.
I think it is fantastic that Winton and the Benalla Auto Club have revived this event. it is something that has been sorely missed by those of us who remeber the previous event. As you said Adam it is the "Bathurst" of club motorsport, well done!
Old 12 Aug 2009, 09:09 (Ref:2520080)   #39
NewsStalker
Veteran

Quote:
The same reason a lot of things get discussed here - because it's an open forum unless, of course, anyone with different ideas is to be gagged?
Old 12 Aug 2009, 11:15 (Ref:2520166)   #40
Adam Ronke
Racer

Australia
Well, just to clear things up, LONG CIRCUIT!!! There is no need to enter into discussion on how we can change over the circuits, because there is no need, and by discussing it you are only going to confuse everyone.

Now, positive discussion, 24 hour race is going to be awesome, I am planning on entering a team of Daewoo's and there are already a number of people who have rung Winton to be put on the mailing list, I think this event is going to fill up very quickly!
Old 12 Aug 2009, 11:31 (Ref:2520173)   #41
Rachel Richards
Racer

Wake Island
In a small house by the sea
Rachel Richards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I am planning on entering a team of Daewoo's !
So Adam, how many Crayfish do you own ?

FYI, a crayfish & a racing Daewoo are identical, all shell, no guts......

(having said that, they will probably plod around quite well for 24 hrs)......
Old 12 Aug 2009, 11:35 (Ref:2520174)   #42
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Richards View Post
So Adam, how many Crayfish do you own ?

FYI, a crayfish & a racing Daewoo are identical, all shell, no guts......

(having said that, they will probably plod around quite well for 24 hrs)......

Cheers Rach, that gave me avery good laugh rofl

But Adam did race a Daewoo at PI last weekend, and I am led to believe that other than being slow it performed quite well.
Old 12 Aug 2009, 13:24 (Ref:2520235)   #43
Adam Ronke
Racer

Australia
Yes the Daewoo was quite a good little thing in the 6 hour last weekend, I was on my lap time nearly every lap. Even surpried a few drivers when I zipped up the inside of them on a couple of corners. Even around the outside of a couple of commodores!! I was trialing some Achillies semi slick tyres and was very impressed at how they performed. I will be writing a full report for the Australian importer of the Achillies tyres. I think you can all expect to hear some more about these tyres

And Rachel, I have 9 of them at the moment.

Old 12 Aug 2009, 23:42 (Ref:2520523)   #44
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The same reason a lot of things get discussed here - because it's an open forum unless, of course, anyone with different ideas is to be gagged?
What so you can be critical of an idea but when anyone is critcal of your posts you have the throw away line that your being gagged
Old 12 Aug 2009, 23:48 (Ref:2520527)   #45
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
And Rachel, I have 9 of them at the moment.
Did you find them in the long grass at Wakefield when it got taken over?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 12 Aug 2009, 23:53 (Ref:2520530)   #46
Adam Ronke
Racer

Australia
Actually GTR, they were hidden in a shed, the person who owned them didn't know where exactly they were, the person who had the shed, didn't know who owned them. I brought them all together, paid the money now they are mine
Old 13 Aug 2009, 00:37 (Ref:2520541)   #47
TCR
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
TCR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Firstly, well done on a great initiative. Club racers very rarely get the opportunity to run in a 24 hour event, so hopefully it's well supported.

Having been involved in a few "enduro" races as both driver and pit crew, I can say that this sort of event has my interest. Quite a number of guys who I run prodsports events with here in QLD have also expresses interest as well.

In saying that though, most of them would prefer a class based "race" as such over a regularity. Not sure if any of you attended the QR500 in 2007, but it was one of the best "enduro" type event I've been involved with. Could it be possible to run this event under a similar set of rules and regs?

For those that aren't aware of those rules, basically it was 4 different classes, which were determined on total engine capacity. In that case it was maximum 4 cars per team, but given the length of this race perhaps a maximum of 6 cars would make sense. So the 4 classes could be as such:

Up to 10.8 litres
10.9 - 15 litres
15.1 - 20 litres
20.1 litres and over

If you had less than 6 cars in a team, then they would be averaged out to give you the total team capacity.

Otherwise it's similar to a relay race, no refuelling, run with a AASA licence that can be obtained with and OLT as such in practice on Friday if necessary.

Thoughts?
Old 13 Aug 2009, 01:07 (Ref:2520544)   #48
Adam Ronke
Racer

Australia
TCR, the QR500 sounds like it is similar to the Wakefield 300. The Winton 24 Hour, is going to be a relay regularity, open to holders of club level licences, meaning supersprint competitors are eligible.

The scoring method has not been finalised as yet, but it will be a regularity so it is designed so that anyone has a chance to win it as long as you can drive close to the your nominated time. These events are extremely successful in Victoria and South Australia.
Old 13 Aug 2009, 01:08 (Ref:2520545)   #49
Rachel Richards
Racer

Wake Island
In a small house by the sea
Rachel Richards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I was trialing some Achillies semi slick tyres and was very impressed at how they performed. I think you can all expect to hear some more about these tyres

Imagine a NASCAR style driver interview post race:

"Yeah, well we were right up there all day, the KFC, Pepsi Max Daewoo was real fast, and we were doing real good for all of our other sponsors.

Sadly in theose last 10 laps the tyres started to go off a bit....And we just couldn't hold first place.

I guess you could say they were our Achillies heel.............. "

Old 13 Aug 2009, 01:18 (Ref:2520548)   #50
TCR
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
TCR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
TCR, the QR500 sounds like it is similar to the Wakefield 300. The Winton 24 Hour, is going to be a relay regularity, open to holders of club level licences, meaning supersprint competitors are eligible.

The scoring method has not been finalised as yet, but it will be a regularity so it is designed so that anyone has a chance to win it as long as you can drive close to the your nominated time. These events are extremely successful in Victoria and South Australia.
Yes, from memory they were very similar style events, except the QR500 ran into the evening and finished a 7pm or something. There were quite a variety of vehicles that competed, including a 962 Porsche and the Bathurst 24hr winning Monaro.

Both these events were still "club level" events which allowed guys from sprints etc to compete, as long as they obtained (paid for) their National AASA licence and completed an OLT in Practice on the Friday.

Good to see the regularities are well supported down south, just thought this sort of thing ight entice a few more "racers". Either way good luck with the event, it should be good.