Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 1 Mar 2008, 16:15 (Ref:2141591)   #26
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graz
CART/Champcar in the 90's was just the best racing on the planet. Why did a handful of people cock it all up...
You're right there. The series was totally awesome back then... possibly among the best racing series of all time. I made a load of trips across the Atlantic to see the ChampCar events in the 1990s and they were fantastic. It was great too when Ben Edwards carried the live Eurosport coverage this side of the pond. Great days indeed.

For me, its a place rather than an event... Road America. The world's greatest racing circuit is unlikely to resonate to the sound of big banger single seat racing again... More's the pity.
Old 1 Mar 2008, 20:28 (Ref:2141737)   #27
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy
For me, its a place rather than an event... Road America. The world's greatest racing circuit
Amen to that. What a track, a proper race track. That's where Bernie should have the US host the F1, except it would be 'far too dangerous' for modern day F1 folk and there would be 'Senna esses' stuck in all over the place with the run off areas moved to the next state - in short they'd ruin the track. Imagine Can-Am cars around that place - awesome.
Old 1 Mar 2008, 20:45 (Ref:2141746)   #28
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, F1 should stay away from there. One of the few tracks that takes your breath away. The days of 900hp Champcar machines hurtling round there are still strong in the mind.

Mind you, many tracks in the Americas are pretty darned exciting. They still have the bravado/danger element I suppose and some add breathtaking beauty to this.
Old 1 Mar 2008, 20:55 (Ref:2141751)   #29
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy
You're right there. The series was totally awesome back then... possibly among the best racing series of all time. I made a load of trips across the Atlantic to see the ChampCar events in the 1990s and they were fantastic. It was great too when Ben Edwards carried the live Eurosport coverage this side of the pond. Great days indeed.

For me, its a place rather than an event... Road America. The world's greatest racing circuit is unlikely to resonate to the sound of big banger single seat racing again... More's the pity.
I imagine the irl will look at it for 2009.

In any case, Atlantics and ALMS are there this year which is great.
Old 1 Mar 2008, 21:06 (Ref:2141760)   #30
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
According to Gordon Kirby, the ALMS was the main draw in 2007 rather than the ChampCars... which probably says a lot about the demise of the series over the past few years. I'm no fan of the IRL, but it would be great if they returned in 2009. That track is deserving of top tier racing, there's just nothing like it anywhere in the world.
Old 1 Mar 2008, 21:17 (Ref:2141768)   #31
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've got the 1993 season review and 1995 Cleveland to watch on the plane and in the airport tomorrow so it will be fun to relive that. One thing I always liked from back then was the tv coverage was much better with far better on board cameras.
Old 2 Mar 2008, 11:01 (Ref:2142069)   #32
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
I've got the 1993 season review and 1995 Cleveland to watch on the plane and in the airport tomorrow so it will be fun to relive that. One thing I always liked from back then was the tv coverage was much better with far better on board cameras.
1995 in Cleveland was an absolutely swelter if memory serves me right. I was living in Chicago back then and it was the hottest summer on record. Thousands died there and all across the midwest... and it was right around the time of that Cleveland race. I remember watching it from my air conditioned apartment having pity on the teams and drivers that had to take part in that event.
Old 11 Mar 2008, 16:01 (Ref:2149226)   #33
kalaminu
Rookie

kalaminu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Long Beach 1998....Zanardi driving like a genius, winning the race then grabbing Chip Ganassi and pointing to the bent wishbone saying something like "They're not supposed to drive with them like that" lol

Not sure exactly when, but Chip Ganassi telling Zanardi to keep doing the donuts and he would pay the fines that the authorities had said they'd dump on Zarnardi if he did any more lol Nice one Chip

Wheldons championship year along with Darios last year

And yes.......I know these are all after 1995 but I started watching US racing in 93 and 94 and my only real memories of these years are enjoying the times Mansell got beaten which granted, in 93 that wasn't often but oh well....can't have it all lol