Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 10 Jun 2011, 06:30 (Ref:2894897)   #1
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Sir Stirling Moss to hang up helmet?

On BBC sport news and widely reported this morning on internet.

Old 10 Jun 2011, 06:48 (Ref:2894901)   #2
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To be honest I didnt think Moss really raced that much these days anyway?

They make it sound on the radio as if he was almost busy!!

Last few times I have seen him he was just doing demo runs and the like. But I guess he just wont be doing that sort of thig anymore, he always was clever with the PR Mr Moss!!
Old 10 Jun 2011, 06:49 (Ref:2894903)   #3
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Sad, but sensible.

Thanks for the memories Sir Stirling!

(chunder - he races at several historic meetings a year. Silverstone and Le Mans included. Not anymore.)

Last edited by Peat; 10 Jun 2011 at 06:59.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 07:52 (Ref:2894928)   #4
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Kev spoke to him yesterday and he said he was pretty laid back about it. He is 81 after all said and done. Still my motor racing hero.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 08:10 (Ref:2894937)   #5
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Its about time really, seeing him lap as slowly as me at Goodwood sort of suggests he may be past his prime! and its not as if he has anything to prove on track.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 08:17 (Ref:2894942)   #6
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Exactly, and he was still pretty quick until a few years ago. I remember a lovely drive from the back half of the grid to (I think) 4th in a 250F, in the wet, at Goodwood Revival a few years back, but he has undoubtedly slowed in recent years, and understandably so.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 08:35 (Ref:2894952)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yup.

Finally the end of an era. He said something like "when I start holding others up I'll stop." I gather that was the gist of his interview on RLM yesterday.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 09:07 (Ref:2894968)   #8
Bert Young
Rookie

England
Preston Crowmarsh
Bert Young should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Drink Bert Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
On BBC sport news and widely reported this morning on internet.

Stirling has given much more to motorsport than just his driving skills . It is true that his PR has kept him in focus since he gave up as a top-line professional after his Goodwood accident , but , since then , his contributions have had a profound influence on the way younger drivers have developed . He was their hero and they sought to emulate him . Present day F1 "heroes" would do well to take a leaf from his book and project themselves to their followers as well as Stirling does . A Knight in more ways than one !
Old 10 Jun 2011, 10:48 (Ref:2895002)   #9
dan_ferguson
Rookie

dan_ferguson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very sad news indeed - my family and I have received great pleasure from his outings at the Classic over the last few years.

The man was and continues to be a class act, both in and out of the car.

As MB correctly summarised - legend.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 17:19 (Ref:2895253)   #10
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
He was due to race his expensive RS61 in Legends race.It had just completed a total rebuild specifically for Le Mans Race

Must have changed his mind and decided to bring actual date forward.

Good he gets out now.Will still have a part to play at Goodwood.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 18:05 (Ref:2895287)   #11
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He was interviewed on RLM and said he was scared and getting in the way. Good decision and must have taken a decent bit of courage. Glad I was there in the early Revival meetings to see him driving fast.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 18:24 (Ref:2895305)   #12
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
5 Live this morning said the decision was made in the pit lane.

Sir Stirling has done more than be an ambassador within the sport. He's such a good advert for the sport as a whole. He does us more good than a thousand spoilt brats mouthing off that it's cos he's black. Thank you, Stirling, I'm sure you'll continue to be a great ambassador even in retirement.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 19:24 (Ref:2895325)   #13
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Why bring the Hamilton thing into this.

The lad was being a smart arse but not very well and certainly not way it was portrayed in the press.

Stirling was a man of his times and acted like a good Middle Class boy in public ,from the fifty's with a liking for money.

Hamilton is a council house boy from noughties and that's the way it is.Don't confuse the two.He is understood by younger generation

Moss has done great things for Motor Sport and obviously one of the greatest drivers of his or any other era.Hamilton is one of top three drivers today and only the historians will be able to make the judgement about his place in the sport.

Make it about Sir Stirling!

He's the one who quit yesterday.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 21:01 (Ref:2895373)   #14
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Why bring the Hamilton thing into this.

JT put it much better than I could
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 11 Jun 2011, 03:58 (Ref:2895467)   #15
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Totally agree John,absolutely no comparison between the two. Greatest respect to Stirling for the decision he's made,but there's still plenty for him to do for motorsport. It's been a privilege to have seen him at the various stage's during his long career,Thank You Stirling for the best years in motor sport.
Old 11 Jun 2011, 06:10 (Ref:2895487)   #16
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
OK slapped wrist accepted altho I wasn't trying to comment on LH merely to highlight what a gent and truly sporting man Sir S is, and how he's still one of the best ambassadors for our sport. It was a throwaway remark by me, I didn't mean to open a can of worms so I'm shutting it again!

I meant to imply that Sir S is one of the few sports people recognised by the archetypal "man on the Clapham omnibus" not just the anoraks within his sport, and as such has done so much good, rather than the transient celebrities of today who won't be remembered for as long or with such affection.
Old 11 Jun 2011, 07:01 (Ref:2895489)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Off topic and I concur re the comparison thing. However I sometimes look at today's grid and try to compare it to previous times. In that respect the current Macaroon duo remind me of Lotus in 1967/8 and possibly Williams 1994. Although I trust without the same consequences.

Anyway back to Sir Stirling. Thank you for being the reason why I place motorsport higher than any other sport. For as long as I've been alive I think he has been a British institution.

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 15 Jun 2011 at 11:32. Reason: Somebody hacked the original. Wonder who? ;)
Old 11 Jun 2011, 07:52 (Ref:2895497)   #18
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Robyn Slater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Blimey, the grammar/spelling/forum police have been busy on 10/10ths this week
Old 11 Jun 2011, 09:08 (Ref:2895511)   #19
SFurness
Racer

England
Leicestershire
SFurness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's just been announced on Eurosport he will be doing a lap at 12:30.

I wish I was there to watch him, a couple of years ago when he was racing in the Legends race as he left the assembly area everybody clapped as he drove away.

A living legend in every sense of the word.

Steve
Old 15 Jun 2011, 11:10 (Ref:2899363)   #20
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Nick JM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Totally agree with the "Legend" reference - a top chap who, as somone else has already mentioned on the topic, has an eye on the anorak on the "Clapham Omnibus".

Does anyone know what happened to make him suddenly annouonce his retirement? The BBC website simply said that he was quoted as saying "I scared myself today and it is time to stop">

As for comments about him being slow - for heaven's sake, he is 81! On that basis I should also retire - and I've only just started!
Old 15 Jun 2011, 12:08 (Ref:2899397)   #21
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick JM View Post
Totally agree with the "Legend" reference - a top chap who, as somone else has already mentioned on the topic, has an eye on the anorak on the "Clapham Omnibus".

Does anyone know what happened to make him suddenly annouonce his retirement? The BBC website simply said that he was quoted as saying "I scared myself today and it is time to stop">

As for comments about him being slow - for heaven's sake, he is 81! On that basis I should also retire - and I've only just started!
When I heard him interviewed on BBC Radio $ on Monday morning he said something along the lines of: " I was driving a car at Le Mans this weekend and suddenly thought Crikey! I daredn't drive this any faster, and I'm not going anywhere near as fast as I should. So I drove steadily back to the pits, got out of the car, and told the team that was it, I'm retired!".
Old 15 Jun 2011, 12:27 (Ref:2899415)   #22
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Nick JM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for that! Remarkable - and brialliantly decisive - of the man to come to that conclusion almost on the spur
Old 15 Jun 2011, 12:46 (Ref:2899428)   #23
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick JM View Post
Thanks for that! Remarkable - and brialliantly decisive - of the man to come to that conclusion almost on the spur
Yes, I agree, still a hero at the age of 81!
Old 15 Jun 2011, 14:44 (Ref:2899521)   #24
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With an "In Praise of..." leader in the Grauniad as well: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...-stirling-moss