Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Sep 2005, 02:51 (Ref:1396041)   #1
Frank_White
Racer

Frank_White should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How would Webber stack up against Alonso?

There is a consistant rumour that Webber might be swapped with Giancarlo between renault and Williams.

http://www.crash.net/uk/en/news_view...d=1&nid=117905

There was an inferance that flavio was trying to arrange this because he didnt want Webber's value going down by driving for an under-performing Williams. Apparently webber sought to scuttle this plan and insisted on remaining with williams, on the basis that He'll work with Williams to overcome their present problems. (there were numerous articles to this effect)

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=33893

If the obove scenario is to be accepted, the question is; what is webber's true motive?

Is is operating out of loyalty and a genuine belief that williams will rise up in a few years to become serious championship compeditors (extremely unlikely), or is he afraid to face up to alonso?

I personally think that webber is afraid of Alonso. If webber goes to renault and is destroyed by Alonso, his hype/value would be gone forever. i think that its a risk he is unwilling to take. the reality is that now, webber is often matched and sometimes beaten by nick. considering this, what are the chances that he can hold his own against Alonso?
Old 1 Sep 2005, 02:58 (Ref:1396047)   #2
Boro
Racer

Boro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He isn't afraid of being destroyed by Alonso as much as he's afraid of having the [sarcasm] bad luck with the fuel rig [/sarcasm] that seems to have plagued Fisi this season.
Old 1 Sep 2005, 03:24 (Ref:1396048)   #3
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Webber has said all along (since before he signed for Williams) that he wanted to race for Williams. And I have heard nothing that would indicate a change of stance.

Would you like a storm in that teacup of yours, sir?
Old 1 Sep 2005, 03:33 (Ref:1396049)   #4
vatuloa
Racer

vatuloa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mark Webber is a very good qualiflyer a poor starter and an agressive racer if he can improve his starts he would do a lot better but he always drops a couple of places and this would be fatal racing Alonso.
Old 1 Sep 2005, 03:39 (Ref:1396051)   #5
F1_KING
Rookie

Australia
F1 WORLD
F1_KING has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
renault play the one-two game so going there would be useless, ask fisi. but whe nwebber first signed to williams he said he intends to be with williams long term. we will see how webber goes next year with a fresh start, and his luck has to change soon. As of been scared of alonso, na i dont think so, webber isnt that type of person to be scared of another driver.
Old 1 Sep 2005, 05:47 (Ref:1396088)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In equal cars, Alonso would destroy him, I believe.

Webber's a journeyman who can pull out some quick qualifying laps, Alonso is "the real deal".
Old 1 Sep 2005, 06:16 (Ref:1396095)   #7
Not Rated
Rookie

United States
Chicago, IL
Not Rated should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Poorly. I also belive he will be thoroughly beaten by Bunson too.
Old 1 Sep 2005, 06:43 (Ref:1396107)   #8
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If hes scared of Alonso, why is he claiming to have pushed for Buttons '06 Williams contract? If he made the switch to Renault, Alonso would simply be the first of his targets
Old 1 Sep 2005, 06:48 (Ref:1396111)   #9
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why would anyone want to go to Renault at the moment. To me Renault looks like the new Ferrar Re: Team Orders. It's now Alonso's Team. Just like Ferrari is Michael's.
Old 1 Sep 2005, 07:21 (Ref:1396126)   #10
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Unless he managed to get on top of his overall performance, I think Webber would have a pretty uncomfortable time alongside Alonso.
Old 1 Sep 2005, 07:23 (Ref:1396127)   #11
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The question would also be would Williams want Giancarlo? If they were to swap Webber for a Renault contracted driver then they should go for Heikki Kovalainen.
Old 1 Sep 2005, 07:24 (Ref:1396128)   #12
spectator22
Racer

spectator22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Webber fears nobody - Turkey was the second time he's 'thrown down a marker' with Michael. Having said that, none of the top guys should 'fear' each other - theyre all pretty confident buggers. I am amused (hardly) by those who seem to constantly want to knock Webber down on the basis of this year, when it is so clear that he has hit Williams when they are at a low ebb. The car is rubbish. And now youre misconstruing his loyalty to a team hes always wanted to drive for (remember he turned down both Renault and Toyota to do it) as a fear of taking on Alonso in the same team! PLEASE? For what its worth, based on Webber's performances at Jaguar, I think he'd give Alonso a much tougher time than Fisi is. He's faster than Heidfeld, but the one thing I think even he would agree with is hes tried just a bit too hard in races to make up for a car that just doesn't have the pace, a bit like it was at Jag really. I look forward to the time when some of these short memory Webber bashers have to eat a big slice of humble pie.
Old 1 Sep 2005, 07:49 (Ref:1396143)   #13
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where are you from spectator22 by the way? You almost looked blinkered for a moment, but i agree to an extent - i don't really think that drivers fear each other, especially when they seem to be in F1 quite solidly, which i believe Alonso, Webber, Fisi and many others are.

People stress it over and over again, it's so difficult to compare with not only such different cars, but with cars which change every year anyway. The Williams isn't really the best car to be using to judge driver talent. Also I, I don't think the Webber-Heidfeld difference is large enough to be making any huge accusations or judgements that one driver is MUCH better than the other.

Remember, also, how Trulli was much faster than Alonso last year, with Trulli winning a race, although it's hard to figure who did a better job in the championship, as Trulli was in another team by the end of it. Alonso looked lacklustre compared to Trulli, and the gap, i feel, was larger than that of Heidfeld and Webber's.

Whilst it would be easy to say 'Who knows!', i'm guessing Alonso would do a better job, especially going from last year, he has matured a lot. But then again, go from the year before, and the situation may be fairly different.
Old 1 Sep 2005, 08:31 (Ref:1396178)   #14
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll say this at the outset - I'm not a Webber fan.

However, I think that Webber would do quite nicely against Alonso. It's a matter of temperament, and I believe that Webber is properly equipped to face up to the challenge.
Old 1 Sep 2005, 08:50 (Ref:1396193)   #15
NO1SPECIAL
Racer

NO1SPECIAL has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
spectator you speak the truth

who cares if he's thrown a rubbish car off the road a coupla times...i can think of a coupla times this year that Alonso's done the same to a GOOD car...

I think Webber's at least as good as Alonso and probably better...and at the no doubt juicy odds offered by people with extremely short memories and poor analytical skills - just like some of the people here - I'll be having a few bucks on him to be 2006 WDC.
Old 1 Sep 2005, 09:00 (Ref:1396197)   #16
Hip Priest
Racer

Hip Priest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In genuinely equal cars, i imagine Alonso would have the edge over Webber.
Old 1 Sep 2005, 10:00 (Ref:1396236)   #17
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Perhaps you can tell us when Alonso has been off the track this season? He's finsihed every race and his perofrmances have appeared flawless. For all the bad luck Giancarlo's had, he's rarely matched Alonso's pace all year.

As Webber is a Flavio driver, cynics would suggest that he is less likely to be as unlucky as Fisichella, and would probably get more support from within the team. However, given equal support, he doesn't have the pace to outperform Alonso. Fernando is the real deal - Webber is fast but inconsistant and erratic. Renault don't even have a starting advantage to cancel out Mark's problems there anymore.
Old 1 Sep 2005, 10:09 (Ref:1396248)   #18
Rubinho
Racer

United Kingdom
Cambridge, UK
Rubinho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Perhaps you can tell us when Alonso has been off the track this season? He's finsihed every race...
Montreal...
Old 1 Sep 2005, 11:20 (Ref:1396288)   #19
Frank_White
Racer

Frank_White should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its one thing to suggest that webber would hold his own against Alonso....

but I find it incredible that some people here suggest thathe would be faster.

there is no evidence that he has championship winning speed and consistancy. in fact there is lots of evidence to the contrary.

I for one find it very doubtful that the redbull is so much superior to the jag of 2004; so much so to justify Coulthards superior performances over webber. In my mind an Alonso would have done much more with the 2004 jad, just as Couthard is now doing at redbull.
Old 1 Sep 2005, 12:13 (Ref:1396323)   #20
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Webber would be doing well to get closer to Alonso than Giancarlo has. He's got a lot of rough edges to remove from his driving first. Even then, Fernando has shown more signs of raw speed.
Old 1 Sep 2005, 12:21 (Ref:1396332)   #21
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by NO1SPECIAL
I think Webber's at least as good as Alonso and probably better...and at the no doubt juicy odds offered by people with extremely short memories and poor analytical skills - just like some of the people here - I'll be having a few bucks on him to be 2006 WDC.
I'd give you great odds on that.

Webber is no slouch, definitely one of the better drivers out there. But 2006 WDC? I'm afraid Alonso, Raikonnen, Michael and JPM are all ahead of him, and Button's at least his equal. I can't see them all having a bad year...

(Oh and to answer the original question, given an equal crack in the same car, Alonso would trounce Webber. It'd be a decent partnership for a Manufacturer's title though.)
Old 1 Sep 2005, 12:27 (Ref:1396339)   #22
Halsey
Racer

Brazil
Tasmania
Halsey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_White
I for one find it very doubtful that the redbull is so much superior to the jag of 2004
As is the case with so many driver vs driver battle, you really can't read much into things, apart from how all the drivers fare against their teammates. You definitely can't judge the '04 jaguar to the '05 red bull because of the rule changes that fiddled with the aerodynamics. Don't get me wrong, I think Coulthard has done a great job this year. However, I heard that Webber worked closely with the team at jaguar in the two years he was there and helped them to develop. Whether or not this was the case I simply don't know for sure, but I have a feeling (and at the very least I'd like to think) it was true.

I think the '05 red bull car is an improvement on the '04 jaguar, judging by the way coulthard & klien have been consistently scoring points... But that could very well be an indication on one or more of the other team's demise.
Old 1 Sep 2005, 12:39 (Ref:1396353)   #23
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I went to the Jag factory a couple of years ago - the impression I got there was that Webber played a very important role in the development process. He was also great with the rest of the Jaguar Racing employees - happy to chat with any of them, keen to include them in any success he had, played 5-a-side with the lads on a Tuesday evening, that kinda thing. Klien was also encouraged to do the same, but it was obvious that to the workers Webber was the main man.
Old 1 Sep 2005, 18:04 (Ref:1396603)   #24
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Webber would have great difficulty beating Alonso in race conditions.
Old 1 Sep 2005, 18:21 (Ref:1396620)   #25
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Menelaos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso is a very good driver, there's no doubt about that. Webber, well, he's supposed to be very good as well, but we'd really need to see him in a really good car with a good driver alongside before we can tell how good he actually is. But it would certainly be interesting.