Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 19 Jul 2011, 07:57 (Ref:2928431)   #301
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Interestingly, as a result of sharing garages I've met some great people; some of whom I have raced against at Silverstone and other circuits. One such driver is Jerry Knight who shares my Capri in the 360. Another was racing a BGTV8 in a race at the MGCC Festival a couple of years ago and we had a real ding dong battle (which I won ;-) ). So I'm not worried about the accommodation.

The weekend is fairly relaxed for me, so should be fun. As we're staying on the circuit we'll also get to the Delta BBQ on Friday.
Old 19 Jul 2011, 08:08 (Ref:2928436)   #302
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am not sure why 60's saloons are getting so upset about sharing garages or indeed not having one - whereas a single seater or sports racer might need a lot of work between qually and race a U2TC should not be a great deal more than wax and gas... if it needs more then you probably want to retrate to base camp anyway.
Back in the day I am sure they did not give a stuff whether they had a pit or not!
Old 19 Jul 2011, 08:35 (Ref:2928454)   #303
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
The use of handles has long been discussed on here and I am firmly in the camp that if you have anything to say of consequence stand up and be counted rather than hide behind a nonsense name.I may be old fashioned but...
Agreed and No, you're not Grumpy old men will one day rule the world.......but don't let's start that debate again
Old 19 Jul 2011, 08:51 (Ref:2928456)   #304
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyDJ View Post
Last year, Saturday was such an unpleasantly arduous task that numerous marshals failed to show up for Sunday - making it even more so for those of us doing all 3 days

Whilst it is a great event to be involved in - some fantastic machinery out to play, I feel that each year becomes less motorsport and more funfair / musical nonentities.
Have to admit, last year's Saturday timetable was dreadful, with the 'celebrities' practising, qualifying & racing in one boring chunk of time. At least this year it's a bit spread out. Nice hog roast to look forward to afterwards too.

This event has never just been about on track action though. My parents & in-laws love looking around the car clubs & reminiscing about cars they used to own/lust after, my wife enjoys the live music & retro clothing/trade stalls and the kids love the funfair & air displays. It really is about the only event I can bring the whole family to and apart from the GP (and World Series-but that's only because tickets are free) it's Silverstone's biggest crowd puller so something must be right?
Old 19 Jul 2011, 09:06 (Ref:2928462)   #305
Giraffe138
Racer

Giraffe138 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A new organiser & a new set-up. I'm quietly optimistic & for a break in this awful weather too!
Old 19 Jul 2011, 09:13 (Ref:2928464)   #306
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Humphrey View Post
It really is about the only event I can bring the whole family to and apart from the GP (and World Series-but that's only because tickets are free) it's Silverstone's biggest crowd puller so something must be right?
Well yes but with some reservations about 'bring the whole family to' nearly all the music based events bring in more paying attendees with not a car in sight. This despite a rather crowded market place and a limited 'season'.

Maybe Silverstone should just do the sideshows and music and skip the cars?

I would guess (and it is very much a guess) that Donington, for example, achieves better income from the Download festival every year than it does from any other meeting. Possibly more than all the club meetings put together? (Especially if one only includes spectator ticket sales for clubbies.)

If they stop running the Glastonbury thing Silverstone would make a great location for a replacement.
Old 19 Jul 2011, 09:18 (Ref:2928467)   #307
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Michael Eavis makes a fortuine from Glasto - he will never stop regardless of what he says...
I dont see a problem with the fun fair etc and if it helps make the meeting viable it should be encouraged.
Old 19 Jul 2011, 09:19 (Ref:2928469)   #308
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Wouldn't get to excited Tony

It's ****ing down here in Southern France so was quite annoyed when my misses announced it was perfect in East Anglian today.

We need it to rain all three days.Sorry lads and ladies.

Arrive Thursday pm so hoping to bring crap weather with me.

At least we will our cars under cover in those nice old pits.

Wouldn't want to be in a tent so our room in the five star Premier Inn at the Green man will be perfect.If only Whitbread would buy the Green Man itself as can only hope its improved.

No early breakfast and lousy food.

Think they are paid towards helping the Paddock bar in Old Pits at Sillystone.

Where is the grub place in those monstrous new pits?
Old 19 Jul 2011, 09:41 (Ref:2928474)   #309
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
John Rushton mentioned £30 quid for a entry ticket but on the site the cheapest I can find 'on the day' is £45 and can only get a small discount if I join the Classic Club??!!

Last time I went was in 2007 and it was £30 odd on the day then IIRC?
Old 19 Jul 2011, 09:58 (Ref:2928479)   #310
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Soo not bad really. £15 increase in four years.
Old 19 Jul 2011, 10:07 (Ref:2928484)   #311
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giraffe138 View Post
A new organiser & a new set-up. I'm quietly optimistic & for a break in this awful weather too!
Side shows take it or leave it, not a problem the distance from tent, motorhome and even hotel, car parking and adequate facilities are, or maybe they are not? The weather will depend on personal preference as to which 'vision' one is drawn towards, personally It will do whatever, and even JR will not find it otherwise... Perhaps it might just might be better if the paddock arrangements were left to the organisations who are responsible for the track activity, certainly seems to be some confusion in that department one thing is certain, we will all know by Sunday night, sorry Saturday afternoon...
Old 19 Jul 2011, 10:37 (Ref:2928500)   #312
Giraffe138
Racer

Quite how the event adapts to the two pits & paddocks, I cannot begin to imagine. At the recent GP, the old pits & "National" paddock which housed GP2, GP3 & the Porsches were very quiet indeed, but that was expected if not exactly embraced by those teams. The focus at the Classic will undoubtably be on the "International" paddock & Wing which might actually please some people, but not others. It could well feel like two different events.
Old 19 Jul 2011, 11:56 (Ref:2928524)   #313
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Quite how the event adapts to the two pits & paddocks, I cannot begin to imagine. At the recent GP, the old pits & "National" paddock which housed GP2, GP3 & the Porsches were very quiet indeed, but that was expected if not exactly embraced by those teams. The focus at the Classic will undoubtably be on the "International" paddock & Wing which might actually please some people, but not others. It could well feel like two different events.
I suspect it will seem very odd for the morning racers and their teams to be starting and finishing a long way from their pits.

Presumably there will not be 'nobody on the pit wall' restrictions at the national pits for the start since the cars will have done half a lap before they get there. For some the race will be half gone before they get any pit board information of use - though that may not matter much to them.
Old 19 Jul 2011, 12:05 (Ref:2928527)   #314
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
In essence this is no different from being in the paddock and then driving round to the grid. Pit boards will be on the "wing" pit wall where the start finish is surely?

Really struggling to see the problem here, but I stand to be corrected.

It is also noticeable that there appears to be more sideshows and spectator entertainment areas up at the old paddock end rather than down at the "wing".
Old 19 Jul 2011, 12:16 (Ref:2928532)   #315
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
I suspect it will seem very odd for the morning racers and their teams to be starting and finishing a long way from their pits.

Presumably there will not be 'nobody on the pit wall' restrictions at the national pits for the start since the cars will have done half a lap before they get there. For some the race will be half gone before they get any pit board information of use - though that may not matter much to them.
From what I have seen of the 2 events that have used this system so far, FIA GT & GP, I believe the "nobody on the (old) pit wall" now applies throughout the race, as there have been only a few officials/marshals posted there to monitor it.
I also believe that the garages in "The Wing" have no solid walls between them, only particians, so it can get very noisy. At least this is what I was told at the GP.
Old 19 Jul 2011, 12:19 (Ref:2928534)   #316
Giraffe138
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
In essence this is no different from being in the paddock and then driving round to the grid. Pit boards will be on the "wing" pit wall where the start finish is surely?

No, pit boards will go out from the National pits, and driver changes most certainly will take place there also (checked regs). Otherwise crews would have to be split between the two pitlanes!

Last edited by Giraffe138; 19 Jul 2011 at 12:27.
Old 19 Jul 2011, 12:21 (Ref:2928535)   #317
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

It is also noticeable that there appears to be more sideshows and spectator entertainment areas up at the old paddock end rather than down at the "wing".
There will probably be a lot of "Entertainment" in the area between the old Bridge corner and Priory, as per the GP, now that the gravel traps have been grassed over.
Old 19 Jul 2011, 12:25 (Ref:2928538)   #318
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
No, pit boards will go out from the National pits, and driver changes will take place there also. Well that's what I've been told.
Really? That will make things interesting then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man View Post
I also believe that the garages in "The Wing" have no solid walls between them, only particians, so it can get very noisy. At least this is what I was told at the GP.
Similar to the F1 pits at Spa then.
Old 19 Jul 2011, 12:33 (Ref:2928545)   #319
exnigel
Rookie

exnigel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post

Wouldn't want to be in a tent so our room in the five star Premier Inn at the Green man will be perfect.If only Whitbread would buy the Green Man itself as can only hope its improved.

No early breakfast and lousy food.

Think they are paid towards helping the Paddock bar in Old Pits at Sillystone.

Where is the grub place in those monstrous new pits?
Hi john
I am in the 5 star accommodation as well so will see you in the bar Thursday evening..........although with such an early practice time for the woodcote trophy will have to be in bed before the witching hour.

Hopefully the garage situation will sort itself out on the day, although I remember last year that space was pretty tight.........

NigelB

Nigel B

Nigel B
Old 19 Jul 2011, 12:34 (Ref:2928546)   #320
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
No, pit boards will go out from the National pits, and driver changes most certainly will take place there also (checked regs). Otherwise crews would have to be split between the two pitlanes!
Yep. There is no way that the team members could get between the two places in time anyway, even if they wanted to.

This will also guide you as to where on the circuit your podium ceremony will take place Peter.

http://hscc.org.uk/resources/Silvers...als%202011.pdf

Worth reading. I believe there may be a test of knowledge at sign on.
Old 19 Jul 2011, 12:47 (Ref:2928550)   #321
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Yep. There is no way that the team members could get between the two places in time anyway, even if they wanted to.

This will also guide you as to where on the circuit your podium ceremony will take place Peter.

http://hscc.org.uk/resources/Silvers...als%202011.pdf

Worth reading. I believe there may be a test of knowledge at sign on.
Having read your intructions Grant, it would seem that they are using both pits, depending on which race you are in. During the earlier meetings, all teams and personnel moved to the new pits when their race was on, and everything (driver changes etc) took place there. The old pits were only used to get in and out of the garages at the start and finish.
Therefore I presume the old pit wall will not have any viewing restrictions because, as you say, the races are not starting there.
Old 19 Jul 2011, 12:51 (Ref:2928552)   #322
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Don't think I need worry about the location of the podium Grant. But I'm in the new pits so it's pretty straightforward for me and mine.
Old 19 Jul 2011, 12:53 (Ref:2928553)   #323
Giraffe138
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man View Post
Therefore I presume the old pit wall will not have any viewing restrictions because, as you say, the races are not starting there.
No, see #17 in the regs. If the race is not being run from your pitlane, then the pitlane is closed to all so you can't go on the wall during those races.
Old 19 Jul 2011, 13:10 (Ref:2928558)   #324
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
No, see #17 in the regs. If the race is not being run from your pitlane, then the pitlane is closed to all so you can't go on the wall during those races.
Yep. That part is clear although one wonders why it is absolutely necessary. For anyone involved with teams running out of both paddocks and with the requisite pit lane wrist bands I would have thought there should be no problem (especially in the National pits) no matter what the time of day.

Still, rules is rules.

My earlier point was that for teams based in the National pits their car(s) will have completed half a lap (from a rolling start iirc) before they reach their pit lane straight. At that point are they still in 'start' mode so the pit wall has to be clear or would that be too silly because the teams need to be able to see them pass and start lap timing and stuff?
Old 19 Jul 2011, 13:14 (Ref:2928560)   #325
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Don't think I need worry about the location of the podium Grant. But I'm in the new pits so it's pretty straightforward for me and mine.
Well, you never know Peter, especially if it's wet. Possibly a class top 3 finish? Surely there would be a podium for that wouldn't there?